Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Guest Blog by Author R J McDonnell

stephtoffey wrote:

RJ,

How wonderful to turn such fond memories of your father into such an exciting career.  I have read both of your books and have found them to be well written and entertaining.  Your passion for writing and the music industry shows in your work.  I'm excited to read the next adventure of Jason Duffy, I love a great mystery!

Hi Steph - Welcome to B&N's Mystery Forum!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

BookAddictFL wrote:

Wow, RJ, you've become quite the famous guy! Look at this big spread about you. :smileyhappy: Funny how our parents instill things upon us, despite our best effort to go our own way. Your dad gave you a great base for crime writing.

I'm a big fan of RJ's Rock & Roll Mystery series. I've read the first two and I'm looking forward to the third.

BookAddict - Maybe if you give RJ a nudge, he'll test us about his next book, too.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

suns56 wrote:

I have read Rock and Roll Homicide by Mr. Mcdonnell and was most entertained by the use of music and murder. I am looking forward to Cops and Rockers as I am an avid golfer and the murder and golfing together makes it a read I cannot wait to read! Always look forward to authors who can use sports and mystery to entertain!  Thanks RJ!

Lots of golf lovers and lots of rock 'n' rollers - sounds like a perfect match!

New User
SanDiegoLady
0 Kudos

Hi RJ,

I'm "hooked" on your books!  Reading your blog I realize how much of your true life experiences you draw on when you write.  Keep following your dreams and your passions. 

SanDiegoLady (Vickie)

becke_davis
0 Kudos

SanDiegoLady wrote:

Hi RJ,

I'm "hooked" on your books!  Reading your blog I realize how much of your true life experiences you draw on when you write.  Keep following your dreams and your passions. 

SanDiegoLady (Vickie)

Hi San Diego Lady - Thanks for joining RJ's party!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

New User
driviello
0 Kudos

RJ,

It was really interesting reading your blog, especially how you & your dad shared the experience of watching crime shows together. I enjoyed reading both of your books & can now see how growing up with a cop for a father has influenced your writing. The characters in your book are lively & unforgettable. I can't wait to see what Jason & his crew are up to ...in your next book !

becke_davis
0 Kudos

driviello wrote:

RJ,

It was really interesting reading your blog, especially how you & your dad shared the experience of watching crime shows together. I enjoyed reading both of your books & can now see how growing up with a cop for a father has influenced your writing. The characters in your book are lively & unforgettable. I can't wait to see what Jason & his crew are up to ...in your next book !

Thanks for joining us, Driviello!

Author
RJMcDonnell
0 Kudos

Thanks to Sheri, Steph, BookAddictFL, and Suns56 for joining the conversation about my blog. It's nice to get some feedback from some of my readers. I hope you become regulars at this interesting mystery readers community.

RJ McDonnell
Rock & Roll Mystery Series
www.rjmcdonnell.com
@RJMcDonnell7
New User
Tamilu77
0 Kudos

RJ you have done a GREAT job with both R&R Homicide and R&R Rip Off, can't wait for the 3rd installment in July! Just wish we could pre-order it already! Also looking forward to books on CD for a few 20 somethings who can't sit still to actually read!

I think your books follow such a great path in life, showing family, friends, as well as of course the "bad guys"! One of my favorite things that shines bright is that your family may not agree with the choices you make, but they will be there and have your back when they are needed! Plus the way Jason just accepts people for who they are, no matter what their difference, quirks or so call disabilities, he helps them to use their full potential and defends them to others when it isn't always an easy thing  to do!

Also of course I love that the first 2 books were set in San Diego, with so many real places that I see and hear about all the time! LOL

Great Job with the first two books and impatient for the third!

New User
pcake
0 Kudos

Thanks for being the guest blogger.  I enjoyed both of your books, and will enjoy them even more now I know a little about how your background prepared you to write 'em.  Can't wait for the third installment in July!

New User
BrownEyedNurse
0 Kudos

Awesome blog!!! I have read both of the books and can't wait to read the third!!!! So captivating and holds your attention!!! You find yourself "living" it as you read!!! Very good read indeed!!!!!

Author
RJMcDonnell
0 Kudos

Becke, I love how you enhanced the rock & roll theme with the images you've posted. Thanks to Vickie, driviello, Tamilu77, and pcake for being loyal readers and for taking the time to join the B&N community in discussing my books. The next one, The Concert Killer, is still on track for a July release. It will be Jason's first serial killer case.

RJ McDonnell
www.rjmcdonnell.com
@RJMcDonnell7
Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Thanks for joining us with your blog, RJ. Rock 'n Roll and Cops--quite an interesting combination there. I'm still trying to get my hands on one of your books!

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
Author
RJMcDonnell
0 Kudos

Very interesting quote, Fricka. My books are available in paper and ebook formats here at B&N.com.

RJ McDonnell
www.rjmcdonnell.com
@RJMcDonnell7
New User
Ray_Anderson
0 Kudos

Nice comprehensive post. Good luck!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

To all of our new visitors!

New User
wahsali
0 Kudos

R.J. is an amazingly smart man, and a very gifted writer. His characters and storylines suck you in and keep you engaged to the very last page. The added humor is a joy to read! I can't wait for his 3rd book!

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

RJMcDonnell wrote:

Very interesting quote, Fricka. My books are available in paper and ebook formats here at B&N.com.

Well, I haven't had any success in pulling up your books when I type in  your name. I just tried it a few seconds ago, and got taken to a listing for three other McConnells, starting with a Primrose McConnell. None of the books appeared to be in the fiction category, even. So, if there's something else I need to do to get to YOUR books on Barnes and Noble, I'd appreciate getting that info from you. I was also disappointed that our library system here in Phoenix does not have any copies of your books, either.

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
New User
kescobar001
0 Kudos

Loved your blog.  Can definitely see why your weren't invited to the keg parties and hey I would take a good pot roast over "pot" any day.  Music has such a strong way of drawing people in to any situation so using music in both your book series and in promoting your book is something I see that will really work for you.  I have read your first two books and after reading your blog I can see how you pulled a lot of who you are/were into your work.  Excellent read.  Love the connection you shared with your father I'm sure he is smiling down on you happy to see that who you are is largely due to the time you two spent together.