Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
kristenbrooks570
0 Kudos

Re: Guest Blog by Author R J McDonnell

RJ is an amazing author, and it's great to see him on here as a guest blogger!

Keep up the awesome work!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Fricka wrote:

RJMcDonnell wrote:

Very interesting quote, Fricka. My books are available in paper and ebook formats here at B&N.com.

Well, I haven't had any success in pulling up your books when I type in  your name. I just tried it a few seconds ago, and got taken to a listing for three other McConnells, starting with a Primrose McConnell. None of the books appeared to be in the fiction category, even. So, if there's something else I need to do to get to YOUR books on Barnes and Noble, I'd appreciate getting that info from you. I was also disappointed that our library system here in Phoenix does not have any copies of your books, either.

Rock & Roll Rip-Off 

Rock & Roll Rip-Off 

Rock and Roll Homicide    

Fricka - For some reason I have to type in the book title for RJ's books rather than his name. B&N has both books on Nook, but only Rock & Roll Rip-Off in hard cover. I posted the links above.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Welcome to all our new visitors (and our regular visitors, too!)

Author
RJMcDonnell
0 Kudos

Sorry to hear that you had a problem ordering on B&N, Fricka. Thanks for including the links for her Becke. B&N must have sold out of their inventory of Rock & Roll Homicide in hardcover, as they have been carrying it since its release. Send me an email at rj@rjmcdonnell.com if that is what you are interested in ordering and I'll expedite if for you. Also, thanks to kescobar001, Wahsali, and Kristen for your compliments and participation in this forum.

RJ McDonnell
Rock & Roll Mystery Series
www.rjmcdonnell.com
@RJMcDonnell7
New User
Bostoncandyman
0 Kudos

Read both books at one sitting each.Love how 2 of my favorite things come together..Rock & Roll and a good mystery.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

RJMcDonnell wrote:

Sorry to hear that you had a problem ordering on B&N, Fricka. Thanks for including the links for her Becke. B&N must have sold out of their inventory of Rock & Roll Homicide in hardcover, as they have been carrying it since its release. Send me an email at rj@rjmcdonnell.com if that is what you are interested in ordering and I'll expedite if for you. Also, thanks to kescobar001, Wahsali, and Kristen for your compliments and participation in this forum.

Thanks, RJ. You might want to check with your publisher about the way it's listed here. I'm not sure why the books only show up when the titles are searched - usually the author's name is enough.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I'm pasting in a message from Fricka:

Fricka wrote:

Testing, one, two, three--

Well, it looks like I can still get into this thread to post, anyway.

becke, thought I would mention that I just tried to get onto RJ McConnell's blog thread, but couldn't get anything  I was trying  to  write to show up after the quotes I had copied. I had been wondering if his books were primarily on Nook, but it looks as though there's at least one of them that is available in print.

I guess I should clarify that I generally don't order books through the online process, since that usually requires a credit card. I got out of credit card hell a few years back, and since then, I try to use my ATM/checking account for most of my purchases, So, I will look up books on B& N, and then check to see if it offers the "Pick Me Up" option where I can request the book be sent to one of the Barnes and Noble Stores in my area, and then I can pay for it there. I don't know if that's going to work with RJ's books, but I appreciate his offer. I'm hoping you could convey that to him, in case I can't get into his thread.

Guess the G-nomes are really at it again. I have a home page of B&N bookmarked, as well as the mystery forum now, but it bypasses completely the former page I used to see. I don't know what happened to the blog pages that usually showed up, as I occasionally post in the "Bookish" and "Ransom notes" blogs. I guess I shouldn't complain too much, as at least I can get into this mystery forum, which if you recall, only recently I could not.

Author
RJMcDonnell
0 Kudos

Fricka, you can indeed place an order at any Barnes & Noble store and pick it up when it comes in. Or, some have the option where you can go into a store, pay for the book, and arrange to have it shipped to you. I noticed in your note above that you spelled my last name "McConnell" it's actually "McDonnell." I appreciate your interest in my books and look forward to your feedback .

RJ

RJ McDonnell
www.rjmcdonnell.com
@RJMcDonnell7
Correspondent
seasanddollar
0 Kudos

Great Blog and the books really look Great!  I just grabbed Rock & Roll Homicide for my Nook! It really looks like I'll be reading all of the books! Best of Luck to R J McDonnell.

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

Welcome R J McDonnell:

Your books look very interesting. I will definitely be downloading them on my ipad! Thanks for visiting with us!

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Author
RJMcDonnell
0 Kudos

Thanks Seasandollar and Eadie. I'll be interested to get your take on the books once you've finished. I'm enjoying this forum, and looking forward to some unique mystery book recommendations.

RJ McDonnell
www.rjmcdonnell.com
@RJMcDonnell7
Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Hmmm. Well, apparently I can get on here, for a regular post, but the quote function is still not working for me.

Thanks for your information, RJ. Sorry, sorry, sorry about getting your name spelled wrong! Mea Culpa/Slap-my-gran-ma! (I may have better luck finding your books if I actually spell your last name right, huh???)

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
Inspired Wordsmith
harleyhoney
0 Kudos

Welcome RJ and thank you for your interesting blog. I haven't read any mystery series yet with a music theme.  Should be very enlightening and I'll look forward to reading them.  I've always wondered what police officers thought about the cop shows on TV.  Were there any that your dad didn't think were too far off the mark?  Very interesting too, about your music.  I was at an author signing this weekend for Jo Nesbo, mystery writer and musician.  And wasn't Agatha Christie an accomplished pianist?  Hmmm, must be some brain connect between mystery and music.  I know there is between math and music, but I was always much better at math than music.  Thank you for being with us and I hope you enjoy your time here.

Nancy

"Somebody said they saw me swinging the world by the tail, bouncing over a white cloud, killing the blues."
Killing the Blues by Rowland Salley
Performed by Robert Plant and Alison Kraus on RAISING SAND
Author
RJMcDonnell
0 Kudos

Hi Nancy. My father was a fan of the original Hawaii 5-O and he liked Harry-O (played by David Jansen of "The Fugitive" fame). The one that ticked him off the most was Dragnet. As soon as Joe Friday said, "I carry a badge," in the opening, Dad's critique mode went into overdrive. I'd love to see you develop your idea about mystery readers/writers brain function... Fircka,  don't worry about misspelling my name. As more info comes our way we tend to naturally increase reading speed. Unfortunately, a few details get lost in the process. But, it allows us to continue to sample the ever widening variety of info on the net. For interactive people like yourself, there is a built in checks and balances system. Thanks again for being such an active participant in the discussion.

RJ

RJ McDonnell
www.rjmcdonnell.com
@RJMcDonnell7
becke_davis
0 Kudos

R.J. just posted this update on the Welcome thread here:

The Concert Killer   

Thanks for inviting me to stop by and tell you about my new mystery, Becke. First, I'd like to thank those of you who shared your experiences at Bouchercon. I didn't get a chance to attend this year, but felt the reports on this forum kept me in the loop. I hope to drop you a line from Cleveland next year.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with my work, I write action mysteries with some humor. They aren't considered cozy, but if transcribed to film they would be rated PG-13.

The Concert Killer is about a religious fanatic serial killer whose mission is to shut down the rock concert industry. It opens on the fourth murder at a concert venue in Irvine, CA. While the backstory of the first three murders is conveyed in the initial chapters, I also used another medium to serve as a prequel.

As author of the Rock & Roll Mystery Series, I thought it fitting to write a song for the book trailer. Rather than the usual stock footage and instrumental soundtrack, I recorded a three verse song that describes the first three victims. I sing and play rhythm guitar. Robbie Walsh, who toured extensively with Noel Redding of The Jimi Hendrix Experience and with Chubby Checker, plays lead. Be advised: A liberal amount of fake blood was used in the filming of the trailer. Both the trailer and the song without the video may be found on my home page at http://www.rjmcdonnell.com.

Despite the sensational opening and trailer, The Concert Killer is decidedly more mystery than thriller. My PI protaginist was a mental health counselor by day and club musician by night before starting his PI internship. Now that he runs his own agency he employs former mental health clients who are very competent at their jobs, but provide a bit of humor in between action scenes. Those of you who enjoy a good crossword puzzle may be able to figure this one out if you pay close attention.

If you're looking for a whodunit that will test your Sherlock skills while it rocks your world, you can read the first 46 pages on fReado at: http://tiny.cc/agxv3.

The B&N link is:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-concert-killer-rj-mcdonnell/1105313980?ean=2940013063327&itm=1&u....

RJ McDonnell
Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

R.J. just posted this update on the Welcome thread here:

The Concert Killer   

Thanks for inviting me to stop by and tell you about my new mystery, Becke. First, I'd like to thank those of you who shared your experiences at Bouchercon. I didn't get a chance to attend this year, but felt the reports on this forum kept me in the loop. I hope to drop you a line from Cleveland next year.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with my work, I write action mysteries with some humor. They aren't considered cozy, but if transcribed to film they would be rated PG-13.

The Concert Killer is about a religious fanatic serial killer whose mission is to shut down the rock concert industry. It opens on the fourth murder at a concert venue in Irvine, CA. While the backstory of the first three murders is conveyed in the initial chapters, I also used another medium to serve as a prequel.

As author of the Rock & Roll Mystery Series, I thought it fitting to write a song for the book trailer. Rather than the usual stock footage and instrumental soundtrack, I recorded a three verse song that describes the first three victims. I sing and play rhythm guitar. Robbie Walsh, who toured extensively with Noel Redding of The Jimi Hendrix Experience and with Chubby Checker, plays lead. Be advised: A liberal amount of fake blood was used in the filming of the trailer. Both the trailer and the song without the video may be found on my home page at http://www.rjmcdonnell.com.

Despite the sensational opening and trailer, The Concert Killer is decidedly more mystery than thriller. My PI protaginist was a mental health counselor by day and club musician by night before starting his PI internship. Now that he runs his own agency he employs former mental health clients who are very competent at their jobs, but provide a bit of humor in between action scenes. Those of you who enjoy a good crossword puzzle may be able to figure this one out if you pay close attention.

If you're looking for a whodunit that will test your Sherlock skills while it rocks your world, you can read the first 46 pages on fReado at: http://tiny.cc/agxv3.

The B&N link is:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-concert-killer-rj-mcdonnell/1105313980?ean=2940013063327&itm=1&u....

RJ McDonnell

Welcome back, R J! 

Since your last visit, I read Rock & Roll Rip-Off and Rock & Roll Homicide. They were both very fun and interesting reads! I'll have to check out The Concert Killer! Thanks for letting us know that your new book is available!

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Author
RJMcDonnell
0 Kudos

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the first two novels in the series, Eadie. I'd love to hear what you think of The Concert Killer. When I first conceptualized the series I thought that this would be the breakout novel.

RJ McDonnell
www.rjmcdonnell.com
@RJMcDonnell7