Re: Guest Blog by Author RITA HENUBER!

ROH wrote:

eadieburke wrote:

ROH wrote:

eadieburke wrote:

ROH wrote:

eadieburke wrote:

Welcome Rita:

Enjoyed your blog. I love a good story with a strong heroine. When women see wrong being done, I think it's in their nature to just want to make things better.

I experienced this first hand in my little borough in Bucks County, PA. I became a write-in candidate for borough council by having a disagreement with someone on the ballot. I won by 10 votes and then found a world of wrong-doing and was expected to participate.

Within 6 years, I found new candidates and changed the face of the council and found myself president of the council. The new council had new rules: no favors and everyone follows the law. You would think we were pulling teeth as it was hard for everyone to get used to these changes. Because I was a woman in charge of the borough, people didn't think I knew what I was doing even though all the years I was in charge, I had budget surpluses.

Politics is a horrid world of lies and deceit and voters didn't know who to believe. I was on the council for 12 years. The voters became confused by our opponents' lies and started to vote for friends of the bad guys. I knew it was time to throw in the towel. Now the borough is back running in the red and our electric rates were raised by 80%. The borough has it's own electric company and we don't have a choice to switch to another electric company. The residents now realize who did a better job. But it's too late, I refuse to be involved anymore. 

Did you have any characters who had a problem with dealing with a strong woman?

I will definitely be checking out your book. Thanks for visiting with us.

Eadie, t thanks for dropping by. I have such respect for anyone who  takes ona political system. In the manuscript I'm working on right now my heroine is a patriot . The hero is completely disillusioned with the system . The villain is a woman hater . I have seen this book out next year .

Your next book sounds very interesting too!

Thanks the politics and technology I'm putting in is turning my hair another color. By the way I love Eleanor Roosevelt quotes also

People asked me when I was trying to reform the borough if I was afraid that the bad guys were going to do me harm. My answer was: "My husband is a Marine and I feel very safe."

Besides, the bad guys are cowards with big egos!

Small world. My husband was a Marine and one of my sons also.

I had a bully emailing me daily when we were replacing the town pool and he was on the park and rec board and was telling everyone that we were going to bankrupt the borough. He wrote many letters to the editior and I went to the newspaper with my facts and asked them why they kept printing his lies. The paper then refused to print his letters. I told my husband about the emails. He wrote back to the guy and said, "Although my wife is more than capable of handling people on her own, if you invade the privacy of my home one more time, you will be hearing from my lawyer." The emails suddenly stopped and the first year the pool was in operation, there was $172,000 profit. 

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Author ROH
Author
ROH
0 Kudos

eadieburke wrote:

ROH wrote:

eadieburke wrote:

ROH wrote:

eadieburke wrote:

ROH wrote:

eadieburke wrote:

Welcome Rita:

Enjoyed your blog. I love a good story with a strong heroine. When women see wrong being done, I think it's in their nature to just want to make things better.

I experienced this first hand in my little borough in Bucks County, PA. I became a write-in candidate for borough council by having a disagreement with someone on the ballot. I won by 10 votes and then found a world of wrong-doing and was expected to participate.

Within 6 years, I found new candidates and changed the face of the council and found myself president of the council. The new council had new rules: no favors and everyone follows the law. You would think we were pulling teeth as it was hard for everyone to get used to these changes. Because I was a woman in charge of the borough, people didn't think I knew what I was doing even though all the years I was in charge, I had budget surpluses.

Politics is a horrid world of lies and deceit and voters didn't know who to believe. I was on the council for 12 years. The voters became confused by our opponents' lies and started to vote for friends of the bad guys. I knew it was time to throw in the towel. Now the borough is back running in the red and our electric rates were raised by 80%. The borough has it's own electric company and we don't have a choice to switch to another electric company. The residents now realize who did a better job. But it's too late, I refuse to be involved anymore. 

Eadie, t thanks for dropping by. I have such respect for anyone who  takes ona political system. In the manuscript I'm working on right now my heroine is a patriot . The hero is completely disillusioned with the system . The villain is a woman hater . I have seen this book out next year .

Thanks the politics and technology I'm putting in is turning my hair another color. By the way I love Eleanor Roosevelt quotes also

People asked me when I was trying to reform the borough if I was afraid that the bad guys were going to do me harm. My answer was: "My husband is a Marine and I feel very safe."

I had a bully emailing me daily when we were replacing the town pool and he was on the park and rec board and was telling everyone that we were going to bankrupt the borough. He wrote many letters to the editior and I went to the newspaper with my facts and asked them why they kept printing his lies. The paper then refused to print his letters. I told my husband about the emails. He wrote back to the guy and said, "Although my wife is more than capable of handling people on her own, if you invade the privacy of my home one more time, you will be hearing from my lawyer." The emails suddenly stopped and the first year the pool was in operation, there was $172,000 profit. 

Zowie! What a mess.

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

ROH wrote:

eadieburke wrote:

ROH wrote:

eadieburke wrote:

ROH wrote:

eadieburke wrote:

ROH wrote:

eadieburke wrote:

Welcome Rita:

Zowie! What a mess.

I am now leading a more quite life: reading at least 3 novels a week and cooking gourmet meals.
Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Author ROH
Author
ROH
0 Kudos

eadieburke wrote:

ROH wrote:

eadieburke wrote:

ROH wrote:

eadieburke wrote:

ROH wrote:

eadieburke wrote:

ROH wrote:

eadieburke wrote:

Welcome Rita:

Zowie! What a mess.

I am now leading a more quite life: reading at least 3 novels a week and cooking gourmet meals.

Sounds wonderful

Author ROH
Author
ROH
0 Kudos

I'd like to know what the readers want in their mystery books.

Author
JeanHarrington
0 Kudos

Great blog, Rita, Strong heroines are the stuff of successful novels, absolutely.  And from way back when.

Think Jane Eyre, one of my all-time favorites.  She gives in to Rochester only when he's in the palm of her hand.  And what about Scarlett O'Hara?  She goes into business!  Steals her sister's fiance!  Causes a scandal.  Keeps Tara going.  Fights the Yankees.  Love it!

And all those pioneer women you mention did everything you claims plus giving birth.  Multiple times.

Apropos of this very subject, I just read an article in Vanity Fair Magazine about the sinking of the Italian cruise ship, Concordia.  The writer quoted a witness on board who said the women were the ones who tended to stay calm and strong and comfort their children.  So write on Rita, write on!  

Jean Harrington
Author ROH
Author
ROH
0 Kudos

JeanHarrington wrote:

Great blog, Rita, Strong heroines are the stuff of successful novels, absolutely.  And from way back when.

Think Jane Eyre, one of my all-time favorites.  She gives in to Rochester only when he's in the palm of her hand.  And what about Scarlett O'Hara?  She goes into business!  Steals her sister's fiance!  Causes a scandal.  Keeps Tara going.  Fights the Yankees.  Love it!

And all those pioneer women you mention did everything you claims plus giving birth.  Multiple times.

Apropos of this very subject, I just read an article in Vanity Fair Magazine about the sinking of the Italian cruise ship, Concordia.  The writer quoted a witness on board who said the women were the ones who tended to stay calm and strong and comfort their children.  So write on Rita, write on!  

Jean thanks for visiting and sharing your favorites.  I will be checking the article in VF. That Concordia thing is crazy. .  

becke_davis
0 Kudos

ROH wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

Rita - Is this your debut book? I love hearing author's "call" stories - would you share with us what it was like to get the call that you'd sold your story?

Oh! I really don't remember much after my agent said Carina wants the book . I know there was a lot of squeeing, bouncing in my chair, and OMG's.  And... I do remember going around turning off the ceiling fans so that I wouldn't get thunked while floating through the house. I don't think my f touched  the floor for a while.   

I love it! Thanks so much for sharing with us!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

eadieburke wrote:

ROH wrote:

eadieburke wrote:

ROH wrote:

eadieburke wrote:

Welcome Rita:

Still, it does take courage - more power to you!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

eadieburke wrote:

ROH wrote:

eadieburke wrote:

ROH wrote:

eadieburke wrote:

ROH wrote:

eadieburke wrote:

Welcome Rita:

That's terrible! So nice that you were proved right!

Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

Hi, Rita, I loved your blog today. I don't think I would chase an alligator though. Glad you were here.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
becke_davis
0 Kudos

JeanHarrington wrote:

Hi Jean - Great to see you here!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

maxcat wrote:

Hi, Rita, I loved your blog today. I don't think I would chase an alligator though. Glad you were here.

I'd be running the other way!

Author ROH
Author
ROH
0 Kudos

maxcat wrote:

With all the rain we've had the criters are coming out of the swamps and ponds. I expect we'll see some gators in the coming days 

New User
LovesBooksPA
0 Kudos

Great post, Rita. You are the research queen in MHO.  Thanks for sharing all your knowledge.  di

Author ROH
Author
ROH
0 Kudos

LovesBooksPA wrote:

Great post, Rita. You are the research queen in MHO.  Thanks for sharing all your knowledge.  di

Me the queen? I'm blushing.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Rita - Your life sounds pretty exciting. What's your average day like?

Author ROH
Author
ROH
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Exciting? Not really.  I generally begin the day having coffee outside and watering the plants. With so much rain lately no need for watering. If there is yard work, I do that early until the mosquitoes find me. While I’m working, I listen to an audio book. I’ll write for anywhere from 2-4 hours a day. I do skip a day here and there.  I walk on the beach in the later afternoon. Much cooler and another chance to listen to a book.  I can go down to the dock with an adult beverage and watch the sunset. The rain has put a crimp in beach walks and sunsets. I’m not on any set schedule and pretty much do what I want when  I want, which can be dangerous.  Days I don’t want to interrupted I turn off the phone, turn up the music until it rattles the windows and write.        

becke_davis
0 Kudos

ROH wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

Exciting? Not really.  I generally begin the day having coffee outside and watering the plants. With so much rain lately no need for watering. If there is yard work, I do that early until the mosquitoes find me. While I’m working, I listen to an audio book. I’ll write for anywhere from 2-4 hours a day. I do skip a day here and there.  I walk on the beach in the later afternoon. Much cooler and another chance to listen to a book.  I can go down to the dock with an adult beverage and watch the sunset. The rain has put a crimp in beach walks and sunsets. I’m not on any set schedule and pretty much do what I want when  I want, which can be dangerous.  Days I don’t want to interrupted I turn off the phone, turn up the music until it rattles the windows and write.        

I can't believe I'm saying this, but we can use some rain. Normally it's VERY wet here in the spring into early summer, but not this year!

I like your idea of turning off the phone, but I can't work with music on, much as I love it. I always want to stop and sing along.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

I enjoyed reading your post and it's nice to meet another author whos work I get to explore.

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com