Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Guest Blog by Author RITA HENUBER!

I met RITA HENUBER at Lori Foster's Reader Author Get Together earlier this month and asked if she'd write a guest blog for us. I think you'll enjoy this!

Her website is here: http://www.ritahenuber.com/

DSCN2011.JPG
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Guest Blog by Author RITA HENUBER!

All About Rita

Rita grew up running the beaches of a barrier island on Florida’s east coast. An island brat, she spent more time climbing weathered oaks and chasing alligators than playing with the dolls her family gave her. She married a Marine and feels fortunate to have lived many places and traveled to the states and countries she didn’t live. Retired from government service she moved back to that barrier island where she writes contemporary women’s fiction and suspense thrillers weaving her experiences into her stories. Her heros and heroines are either in the military or government service because she writes what she knows. Her father was in the Coast Guard and immediate family members served in every branch of the service as pilots, grunts, desk jockeys and everything in between. Their ranks were from private to admiral. She’s experienced the highs and lows of military and government life and is grateful for each experience.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

More About Rita

Rita reads or listens to two to three books a week. Prefers listening while doing housework so as not to waste time. She has no favorite author she just loves a good story.

She finds living on the island is inspirational to writing.

She can pick oranges for mimosas to take to the beach

…and watch amazing sunrises.

Walk many miles of white sand beach having conversations with her characters.

Look out her office windows and see banana trees and bougainvillea flowers.

She still chases the occasional alligator.

Rita can end her day sitting on the dock watching boats cruise by under a setting sun.

Or spend the evening with friends in one of the many establishments on the island that have fried shrimp and live music.

Life is good.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Under Fire  

Under Fire

Overview

Coast Guard helicopter pilot Olivia Carver is on a very personal mission. Her twin brother, an undercover officer, was murdered by a drug cartel and she won't stop until she finds the man responsible for his death.

In the course of her own investigation, Olivia meets informant Rico Cortes. He's mysterious and sexy and despite her reservations, the two share a night of passion. But Rico turns out to be more than a one-night stand. He's a DEA agent, deep undercover in Miami's drug world, and possibly the one man who can help Olivia find the justice she seeks.

When Rico realizes his cover is blown, he isn't sure whether it was someone in the cartel or an inside agent. Olivia is the only one he can trust and together they venture on a dangerous, rogue mission to infiltrate a drug lord's inner circle…with Olivia as bait.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

GUEST BLOG BY RITA HENUBER

Mystery fiction. What is it?  The definition is: A mystery explores hidden paths, the unknown, until the truth is discovered.

That takes in a lot.  I believe, to a degree, all books are a mystery. Think about it. 

Most say, and I agree, the genre began with Edgar Allen Poe's Murders in the Rue Morgue in the early 1800s. Wilkie Collins’, The Woman in White advanced it and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes propelled mystery into massive popularity. Dime novels became the rage at the turn-of-the-century. The Hardy Boys, Nancy Drew mysteries,( brilliant to get the girls involved) Agatha Christie, Ellery Queen and Alfred Hitchcock brought us where we are today. Blessed with a plethora of mystery books. These books come in many genres, divided into numerous categories. We find the traditional mystery, cozy mystery, legal, medical and military thrillers, and police procedurals marketed under the umbrella of mystery.

There have been many changes since Edgar penned the first book taking us down the unknown path. The biggest is technology.  It has revolutionized mystery for readers and writers alike.  As the author of contemporary military, government stories, my characters have to be tech savvy. With GPS devices and phones almost attached to one’s body getting my protagonists lost or needing help requires thought. I can’t put them in trouble at the bottom of the ocean because Bob Ballard or James Cameron will be sure to find them. Satellites take pictures of license plates. Tires have GPS chips in them. Silent remote-controlled drones and helicopters can buzz only feet away and take pictures. Most establishments have cameras. Inside and out. Facial recognition programs are used at transportation hubs and police departments around the world. The US Department of Justice operates one of the largest systems in the world with over 75 million photographs.  Even Disney uses them. Really?!?   From space, heat signature devices can tell how many people are in a building. Phones can pinpoint an owner’s location. Planes have locator transponders. Credit card use can be relayed to the authorities minutes after it’s been utilized. If you post on Facebook it knows where you are and can tell everybody.

Danger at the South Pole is a thing of the past. There is this new building, two stories high, built to withstand an Antarctic winter. It houses scientific labs and a greenhouse where fresh vegetables are grown. Head smack. I can't even make characters uncomfortable at the South Pole.

Another change, my favorite, is the resurgence of the strong heroine. A smart, savvy, woman who knows what she wants and how to get it is my kinda gal.  Strong independent women have been around though out history even though historians have ignored them. They survived long sea voyages to the new world and rode in wagons across North America’s prairies. They’ve been in battles in every war this country has partaken in. Brave women like Nancy Grace Augusta Wake served as a British agent in World War II. She was a leading figure in the French Resistance and one of the most decorated servicewomen of the war. The beloved Julia Child worked for the Office of Strategic Services, the forerunner of today’s CIA. Can you imagine the stories there?

Finally, finally, strong women are showing up in books –The Hunger Games, The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo- and movies. In the recent Sherlock Holmes remakes, Rachael McAdams plays Irene Adler, a professional thief and Holmes former adversary.  How about Snow White and the Huntsman?  TV has their own hot heroines.  Fiona, on Burn Notice. Deputy Police Chief Brenda Leigh Johnson on The Closer. Dr. Temperance Brennan, of Bones.

My challenge in Under Fire was to present the reader with a blend of new technology and competent, strong, caring and, yeah, kickass heroine.  She, Olivia, is a Coast Guard helicopter pilot.  Her job is drug interdictions along the Florida coast.  Think Lauren Bacall in To Have and Have Not and Angelina Jolie in Salt.  Her flying skills are above average as are her hand-to-hand fighting skills. Writing those helo flight scenes was tough. I wanted to make the reader feel they were riding along side Olivia not learning how to assemble a helicopter. 

He, Rico, is a deep undercover DEA agent. He’s been undercover so long the line between the job and who he pretends to be is blurring. He uses technology to stay safe and search for the bad guys. Achieving the right blend without boring a reader was the challenge for him.

When they come together to find who is revealing undercovers to the drug cartel, they each have their own ideas. Conflict and compromise ensue.  Finding a way to have, what some say, are two alpha characters be attracted to one another became another challenge. Olivia and Rico do it. They stand shoulder to shoulder, accepting of each other and get the job done. True, they leave some bodies behind. (Relax, bodies left on the floor are bad guys.)

What do you think of the stronger female protagonist? Have you read Under Fire?

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Assuming the B&N gnomes & gremlins don't give Rita problems when she signs in, she WILL be checking in to respond to your questions and comments.

Welcome, Rita!!

Author ROH
Author
ROH
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Assuming the B&N gnomes & gremlins don't give Rita problems when she signs in, she WILL be checking in to respond to your questions and comments.

Welcome, Rita!!

Thanks Becke. I think i found all my gremlins and chased them off.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Yay! So glad you were able to sign in okay, Rita!

New User
Vanessa_B
0 Kudos

Hi, Becke and Rita! I have Under Fire on my Kindle, Rita. I'm so looking forward to reading it.

I'm enjoying the resurgence of strong heroines who go after what they want. For me, the love of strong heroines began when I was a kid watching old Katharine Hepburn movies. Her characters were often strong-willed and mentally tough, yet they had an endearing vulnerability.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Vanessa_B wrote:

Hi, Becke and Rita! I have Under Fire on my Kindle, Rita. I'm so looking forward to reading it.

I'm enjoying the resurgence of strong heroines who go after what they want. For me, the love of strong heroines began when I was a kid watching old Katharine Hepburn movies. Her characters were often strong-willed and mentally tough, yet they had an endearing vulnerability.

Oh, I love Katharine Hepburn! The Desk Set is a favorite, Holiday is another, and of course The Philadelphia Story!

Author ROH
Author
ROH
0 Kudos

Ketherine is a winner for me also. I enoyed the banter in her movies.

Rita

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Rita - Is this your debut book? I love hearing author's "call" stories - would you share with us what it was like to get the call that you'd sold your story?

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

Welcome Rita:

Enjoyed your blog. I love a good story with a strong heroine. When women see wrong being done, I think it's in their nature to just want to make things better.

I experienced this first hand in my little borough in Bucks County, PA. I became a write-in candidate for borough council by having a disagreement with someone on the ballot. I won by 10 votes and then found a world of wrong-doing and was expected to participate.

Within 6 years, I found new candidates and changed the face of the council and found myself president of the council. The new council had new rules: no favors and everyone follows the law. You would think we were pulling teeth as it was hard for everyone to get used to these changes. Because I was a woman in charge of the borough, people didn't think I knew what I was doing even though all the years I was in charge, I had budget surpluses.

Politics is a horrid world of lies and deceit and voters didn't know who to believe. I was on the council for 12 years. The voters became confused by our opponents' lies and started to vote for friends of the bad guys. I knew it was time to throw in the towel. Now the borough is back running in the red and our electric rates were raised by 80%. The borough has it's own electric company and we don't have a choice to switch to another electric company. The residents now realize who did a better job. But it's too late, I refuse to be involved anymore. 

Did you have any characters who had a problem with dealing with a strong woman?

I will definitely be checking out your book. Thanks for visiting with us.

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Author ROH
Author
ROH
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Rita - Is this your debut book? I love hearing author's "call" stories - would you share with us what it was like to get the call that you'd sold your story?

Oh! I really don't remember much after my agent said Carina wants the book . I know there was a lot of squeeing, bouncing in my chair, and OMG's.  And... I do remember going around turning off the ceiling fans so that I wouldn't get thunked while floating through the house. I don't think my f touched  the floor for a while.   

Author ROH
Author
ROH
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

eadieburke wrote:

Welcome Rita:

Enjoyed your blog. I love a good story with a strong heroine. When women see wrong being done, I think it's in their nature to just want to make things better.

I experienced this first hand in my little borough in Bucks County, PA. I became a write-in candidate for borough council by having a disagreement with someone on the ballot. I won by 10 votes and then found a world of wrong-doing and was expected to participate.

Within 6 years, I found new candidates and changed the face of the council and found myself president of the council. The new council had new rules: no favors and everyone follows the law. You would think we were pulling teeth as it was hard for everyone to get used to these changes. Because I was a woman in charge of the borough, people didn't think I knew what I was doing even though all the years I was in charge, I had budget surpluses.

Politics is a horrid world of lies and deceit and voters didn't know who to believe. I was on the council for 12 years. The voters became confused by our opponents' lies and started to vote for friends of the bad guys. I knew it was time to throw in the towel. Now the borough is back running in the red and our electric rates were raised by 80%. The borough has it's own electric company and we don't have a choice to switch to another electric company. The residents now realize who did a better job. But it's too late, I refuse to be involved anymore. 

Eadie, t thanks for dropping by. I have such respect for anyone who  takes ona political system. In the manuscript I'm working on right now my heroine is a patriot . The hero is completely disillusioned with the system . The villain is a woman hater . I hope to see this book out next year .

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

ROH wrote:

eadieburke wrote:

Welcome Rita:

Eadie, t thanks for dropping by. I have such respect for anyone who  takes ona political system. In the manuscript I'm working on right now my heroine is a patriot . The hero is completely disillusioned with the system . The villain is a woman hater . I have seen this book out next year .

Your next book sounds very interesting too!

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Author ROH
Author
ROH
0 Kudos

eadieburke wrote:

ROH wrote:

eadieburke wrote:

Welcome Rita:

Eadie, t thanks for dropping by. I have such respect for anyone who  takes ona political system. In the manuscript I'm working on right now my heroine is a patriot . The hero is completely disillusioned with the system . The villain is a woman hater . I have seen this book out next year .

Thanks the politics and technology I'm putting in is turning my hair another color. By the way I love Eleanor Roosevelt quotes also

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

ROH wrote:

eadieburke wrote:

ROH wrote:

eadieburke wrote:

Welcome Rita:

Thanks the politics and technology I'm putting in is turning my hair another color. By the way I love Eleanor Roosevelt quotes also

People asked me when I was trying to reform the borough if I was afraid that the bad guys were going to do me harm. My answer was: "My husband is a Marine and I feel very safe."

Besides, the bad guys are cowards with big egos!

Author ROH
Author
ROH
0 Kudos

eadieburke wrote:

ROH wrote:

eadieburke wrote:

ROH wrote:

eadieburke wrote:

Welcome Rita:

People asked me when I was trying to reform the borough if I was afraid that the bad guys were going to do me harm. My answer was: "My husband is a Marine and I feel very safe."

Besides, the bad guys are cowards with big egos!

Small world. My husband was a Marine and one of my sons also.