Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Guest Blog by Author ROCHELLE STAAB!


Rochelle_Staab wrote:
Becke, Yes! Lucia's dishes are Talavera. Aren't they just beautiful? To me, they capture Lucia's spirit.
~Rochelle

They're so colorful - I love them!

Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Guest Blog by Author ROCHELLE STAAB!


Rochelle_Staab wrote:
Debbie, hmm, we have the same taste in fabulous people (Lovely and talented Becke Davis on the left, elegant Hank Phillippi Ryan in the center.) I was in great company at the breakfast that morning.

Hank gave me an amazing blurb for Who Do, Voodoo? I loved her Prime series and can't wait to read The Other Woman. I know how one of my September weekends will be spent.

Lovely meeting you, too, Debbie. I hope you enjoy my novels!
~Rochelle

Debbie and I both had the privilege of reading advance copies of THE OTHER WOMAN. I had to remind myself to breathe a few times!

Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Guest Blog by Author ROCHELLE STAAB!

Hurray! I finished BRUJA BROUHAHA and am proud of myself for guessing ONE of the baddies. I didn't solve the whole thing, but that should count for something!

 

One of the questions I had goes back to where Liz compliments a child and the mother freaks out. Is the scenario you described something you came across in real life? I've never heard of that - now I'll be nervous to tell someone their baby is cute!

Author
Rochelle_Staab
Posts: 51
Registered: ‎08-22-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Guest Blog by Author ROCHELLE STAAB!


becke_davis wrote:

Hurray! I finished BRUJA BROUHAHA and am proud of myself for guessing ONE of the baddies. I didn't solve the whole thing, but that should count for something!

 

One of the questions I had goes back to where Liz compliments a child and the mother freaks out. Is the scenario you described something you came across in real life? I've never heard of that - now I'll be nervous to tell someone their baby is cute!


Counts for a lot, clever Becke!

 

Ah, the old evil eye superstition about compliments masking envy and a hidden wish for harm.

I haven't encountered the superstition myself, but the belief is centuries old and crosses Mexican, Greek, and Jewish traditions.

No worries, you can still offer compliments! But if you're superstitious, touch the person you're complimenting. An accompanying touch expresses "no envy/harm."

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
Posts: 1,925
Registered: ‎01-27-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Guest Blog by Author ROCHELLE STAAB!

Finished Who Do Voodoo? on the runway in Philadelphia this morning. Liked it very much and looking forward to reading Bruja Brouhaha! Learned alot about the supernatural, tarot cards, crows etc.
Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Guest Blog by Author ROCHELLE STAAB!


Rochelle_Staab wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

Hurray! I finished BRUJA BROUHAHA and am proud of myself for guessing ONE of the baddies. I didn't solve the whole thing, but that should count for something!

 

One of the questions I had goes back to where Liz compliments a child and the mother freaks out. Is the scenario you described something you came across in real life? I've never heard of that - now I'll be nervous to tell someone their baby is cute!


Counts for a lot, clever Becke!

 

Ah, the old evil eye superstition about compliments masking envy and a hidden wish for harm.

I haven't encountered the superstition myself, but the belief is centuries old and crosses Mexican, Greek, and Jewish traditions.

No worries, you can still offer compliments! But if you're superstitious, touch the person you're complimenting. An accompanying touch expresses "no envy/harm."


I feel kind of ignorant that I never knew this. I love when I learn something from books!

Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Guest Blog by Author ROCHELLE STAAB!


eadieburke wrote:
Finished Who Do Voodoo? on the runway in Philadelphia this morning. Liked it very much and looking forward to reading Bruja Brouhaha! Learned alot about the supernatural, tarot cards, crows etc.

Tarot fascinates me. I took a class once so I could get a general idea of how it worked. A couple of my friends read tarot - it's very cool!

Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Guest Blog by Author ROCHELLE STAAB!

Thank you so much for visiting with us, Rochelle! This is "your" thread now - you're welcome to come back and post updates any time!

 

Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Guest Blog by Author ROCHELLE STAAB!


dhaupt wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

Rochelle's website is here: http://www.rochellestaab.com/

 

She's on Twitter here: https://twitter.com/rochellestaab

 

Her Facebook page is here: https://www.facebook.com/rochelle.staab

 

And - hurray - look what I just found on Rochelle's Facebook page:

 

 

Here's another great picture of Rochelle with Janet Bolin and Krista Davis, two more authors who have visited the Mystery Forum:

 


Hi Rochelle, it's nice to meet you. I haven't read anything by you but since you're sitting at the table w/two of my best buds I'd say I better get reading. :smileyhappy:

Hi Grandma Becke, you know that Hank will be my featured author all month next month we're reading her brand new novel The Other Woman

 

Rochelle, it was great meeting you, now if you'll excuse me I have to hit the buy button on the B&N site :smileyhappy:


Debbie - I hope you get to meet Rochelle in real life one of these days!

 

 

Author
Rochelle_Staab
Posts: 51
Registered: ‎08-22-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Guest Blog by Author ROCHELLE STAAB!


eadieburke wrote:
Finished Who Do Voodoo? on the runway in Philadelphia this morning. Liked it very much and looking forward to reading Bruja Brouhaha! Learned alot about the supernatural, tarot cards, crows etc.
Thank you! I'm so glad you enjoyed the read. I took months of tarot reading classes to assure accuracy. Now I take a tarot deck  to some of my book signing events to do readings for fans. We have lots of fun with them. 
Author
Rochelle_Staab
Posts: 51
Registered: ‎08-22-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Guest Blog by Author ROCHELLE STAAB!


becke_davis wrote:

Rochelle_Staab wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

Hurray! I finished BRUJA BROUHAHA and am proud of myself for guessing ONE of the baddies. I didn't solve the whole thing, but that should count for something!

 

One of the questions I had goes back to where Liz compliments a child and the mother freaks out. Is the scenario you described something you came across in real life? I've never heard of that - now I'll be nervous to tell someone their baby is cute!


Counts for a lot, clever Becke!

 

Ah, the old evil eye superstition about compliments masking envy and a hidden wish for harm.

I haven't encountered the superstition myself, but the belief is centuries old and crosses Mexican, Greek, and Jewish traditions.

No worries, you can still offer compliments! But if you're superstitious, touch the person you're complimenting. An accompanying touch expresses "no envy/harm."


I feel kind of ignorant that I never knew this. I love when I learn something from books!


Becke, I had no idea either. I had heard of the evil eye but never knew exactly what it meant until I began researching superstitions. I thought the "compliment" superstition was so interesting when I found it that I had to use it in Bruja Brouhaha. The evil eye is something Nick Garfield would be familiar about without a blink.

 

Author
Rochelle_Staab
Posts: 51
Registered: ‎08-22-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Guest Blog by Author ROCHELLE STAAB!


becke_davis wrote:

Thank you so much for visiting with us, Rochelle! This is "your" thread now - you're welcome to come back and post updates any time!

 


Thank YOU, Becke, for your hospitality, enthusiasm, and all the support you give to authors. I loved every minute of this chat, and I'll check in throughout the weekend+ in case anyone else has questions.

You made Bruja Brouhaha release week a real party!

I'm proud to be part of the B&N Community.

~Rochelle

Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Guest Blog by Author ROCHELLE STAAB!


Rochelle_Staab wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

Thank you so much for visiting with us, Rochelle! This is "your" thread now - you're welcome to come back and post updates any time!

 


Thank YOU, Becke, for your hospitality, enthusiasm, and all the support you give to authors. I loved every minute of this chat, and I'll check in throughout the weekend+ in case anyone else has questions.

You made Bruja Brouhaha release week a real party!

I'm proud to be part of the B&N Community.

~Rochelle


It was fun helping you celebrate!