Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Guest Blog by Author VICTORIA LAURIE!

Today we have a guest blog written for us by New York Times Best Selling Author VICTORIA LAURIE!

Victoria's website is here:  http://victorialaurie.com/

She's on Twitter here: https://twitter.com/#!/victoria_laurie

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Guest Blog by Author VICTORIA LAURIE!

began writing my first Abby Cooper novel in the winter of 2003.  As a professional psychic of many years, I really wanted to portray an intuitive as a normal person – because we really are normal after all….we’re just a bit more “sensitive” than most.   

Truth be told, even after Abby Cooper, Psychic Eye was published, I had no thoughts of becoming a full time professional writer too.  Back then I firmly believed that I’d write two or three books in the Psychic Eye series, and move on to some other hobby. 

It wasn't until I was finishing my third book, that I could truly appreciate how much joy I had in telling a story.  For me, there is almost nothing more satisfying than writing those final twenty pages of a novel after taking all my characters on something of a roller coaster ride.  And I live for those moments when, creatively, it feels like I actually got it right.

I suppose I’d better love what I do, because now there’re three separate books for each of my three series to turn out every year.  It is work, but it’s fabulous work if you can get it.

I no longer do psychic readings professionally, but I will admit, being psychic is super cool.  :smileyhappy:

So, if you’re a fan, I thank you.  If you’re a former client, I thank you.  If you’re just stopping by to check me out…peruse at your leisure!

Hugs,

Victoria

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Ghoul Interrupted (Ghost Hunter Mystery Series #6)  

M.J. Holliday and her crew interrupt the frantic schedule of their reality TV show, Ghoul Getters, and hotfoot it to New Mexico, where a dreadful demon is waging tribal warfare. Same Whitefeather- M.J.'s spirit guide-urgently needs her help to stop this evil spirit from wiping out the descendants of his tribe. It doesn't take a psychic to predict that M.J.'s going to have a devil of a time making New Mexico a demon-free zone.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Ghost busted!

by Victoria Laurie

I’m often asked if I incorporate any of my own experiences as a psychic into my writing, and the truth is, yes, absolutely!  I have pulled from past sessions with clients, spooky encounters, and weird happenstance throughout the writing of both the Ghost Hunter Mysteries, and the Psychic Eye Mysteries.

A few unique experiences, however, I’ve kept to myself, and I thought it might be fun to share one of those with you here.  This event happened about three and a half years ago and it hit pretty close to home.  It began on a beautiful early October day with a call from a dear friend and neighbor.

My friend, Shannon and I lived in the same neighborhood and we were great friends.  We even shared a gym membership, and on that sunny beautiful day, Shannon called to say that she had a check for me for that months’ dues.  “Can you come over to pick it up, Victoria?  There’s something I really need to talk to you about.”

“Sounds serious.”

“Yeah…it’s not…or maybe it is.  I can’t tell.”

Armed with that cryptic information I headed over to Shannon’s – she lived cattycorner from me – and knocked.  She opened the door looking pale and a bit sleep deprived.  After handing me the check she said, “There’s something weird in my bedroom.”

Now, Shan is a pretty, pretty girl, and the guys all fell in love with her, so when she said that, (prude that I am) I immediately got uncomfortable.  “How weird?”

“Goblin weird.”

“Say…what now?”

“There’s a goblin in my bedroom, Victoria.  It’s scaring the shi tzu out of me.”

I couldn’t help it, I laughed, but Shannon didn’t.  She looked scared and serious and far from her happy self.  “Okay, tell me from the beginning,” I said once I realized she was serious.

Apparently, that morning Shannon had been awakened by something or someone walking around on her bed.  She could feel the mattress sink in, and a pull to her covers, and she swore to me that she was wide-awake when all of this was happening – about four a.m. by her recollection.

After hearing Shannon’s tale, my brow furrowed.  We both lived in a brand new subdivision and our houses had been built only a year earlier – the land our homes were built on was previously vacant land and I’d never sensed any spiritual energy in the area – which was one of the main reasons I bought a home in that neighborhood in the first place.

“Shan,” I said, all reasonable- like, “I doubt it’s anything to worry about.  Maybe it was a deceased relative just stopping by and say hello.  Has anyone in your family passed away in the past few months?”

“No.”

“When this was happening, did you think of anyone who’s crossed over?  Did a name come to mind?”

“No,” Shan insisted, with a wary glance behind her toward her bedroom.  “Will you please just come in and take a look?”

I smiled.  “Sure, honey,” I said, expecting to find nothing unusual at all.

We walked down her hallway to the master suite and the moment I entered her bedroom I felt an immediate very heavy, very apparant presence in the corner of her room.  I actually gasped when I came through the doorway, and turning to her I cried, “Holy freakballs!  Shannon!  You have a ghost in your room!”

Her pale face drained of even more color.

My mind whirled.  How could this be?  The house was brand new and to my knowledge no one had died there.  I turned back to the thick energy hovering in the corner when all of the sudden it flew at me in a rage and began pounding on the outside of my energy!  It’s hard to describe what that feels like, but imagine being inside a big plastic bubble and having someone start using your bubble like a punching bag.  It doesn’t hurt, but it’s really alarming. 

I backed up against the wall still trying to make sense of the thing, and all I could pick up was that it was a male energy and he felt young – maybe sixteen to eighteen – and I got the first part of a name – a CH like “Charlie.”  I turned back to Shannon and yelled, “He’s punching me!  He’s actually punching me!”

“What do I do?” Shannon asked, one foot already halfway out the door.

I moved away from the wall toward her but this spook wouldn’t back off.  He just kept trying to pummel me and that’s about the time I overcame my initial shock and started trying to figure out who this guy was.  I had a sense that Shannon must know him, that he wasn’t some random spook that belonged to the house.  “Who’s Ch-Ch-Ch…Charlie?  Or Chuck?  A CH sound is all I keep getting, Shan.”

“Ohmigod!” she squeaked.  “It’s Chad!”

The pounding lessened for a moment.  “Who’s Chad?” I asked.

“He was my high school boyfriend.  He died in a fight with another kid from a different school.  The other kid pulled a knife while they were fighting and stabbed Chad in the liver.  He died in my arms.”

I now had an explanation for why he was being such a pugilist.  “Well, he’s not backing off me,” I said when the punching picked up again.  “Come with me.”  I took Shan by the arm and led her away from Chad, out into the hallway.  “Honey, you need to talk this guy over, because I doubt highly that he’s gonna listen to me.  If he’s connected to you from the past, you can use that to talk him over to the other side.”

The moment those words were out of my mouth young Chad came whirling out of the bedroom and began to shout at me.  Imagine being back in your plastic bubble and while you’re trying to talk to someone through the plastic, someone else on the other side of the bubble is yelling obscenities at you.  Not. Fun.

We moved into the living room as I tried to get away from the noise Chad was creating in my mind.  It wasn’t much use, Chad kept up the yelling, but I was able to get the gist of the instructions out to Shan who just stared at me with big wide eyes.  “He’s been bouncing back and forth between you and his mom for all these years,” I told her.  “He never crossed over, and in his mind, you’re still his girlfriend.  And, oddly, I have the sense that this isn’t the first time he’s made himself known to you.”

Shannon gasped.  “You know what, Victoria?  I have had weird things happen to me in all the other places I’ve lived!  Some of my boyfriends have complained about feeling like someone punched them in their sleep!”

“Yeah, well, he’s the jealous type, Shan.  Time to send him home.”

About that time Chad redoubled his efforts to yell me off the premises, and I apologized to Shannon, but it was all a bit too overwhelming to me.  I hadn’t been prepared to encounter such an entity and I was starting to feel overwrought.  So I scooted.

Over the next few weeks, Shan reported that she’d thought a lot about Chad and felt sorry for him, so she was keeping him around for a while.  She’d made her peace with him, and he no longer bothered her, and as she was in between boyfriends, she rather liked having him keep her company.  My favorite part of this story comes just three weeks later when I received an invite to a Halloween party hosted by Shannon and Chad.  I declined, but I hear the guests all had a spooktacular time!

And if you’re wondering whatever became of Chad, well, I believe he did eventually move across, right around the time my lovely friend accepted a proposal of marriage to a great guy who honestly didn’t mind sharing his bride-to-be with ghost.  We should all have such understanding men!

Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

Wow, what a great blog and so personal too! My husband and I had a ghostly experience one Halloween when we went on a tour of a plantation here in town. It's pretty famous for ghostly encounters. First, the original plantation owner always had his face shaved every morning outside on the porch by his butler. There was a little medicine cabinet on a post where all the shaving implements were. The cabinet is still there and when the employees overlooking the estate come in, that medicine cabinet is open. They close it and make sure it is closed when they leave at night. Second, there is a kitchen of sorts under the house. Herbs are dried there and anything that needs to be baked is done in ovens that are stone. When we were there, everyone stood still and the herbs that were hanging started to spin. There were no air currents as the kitchen was cold even in the summer. So what made the herbs spin?

I really enjoyed your blog and have read a couple of the Ghost hunter books,  which are good.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
becke_davis
0 Kudos

maxcat wrote:

Wow, what a great blog and so personal too! My husband and I had a ghostly experience one Halloween when we went on a tour of a plantation here in town. It's pretty famous for ghostly encounters. First, the original plantation owner always had his face shaved every morning outside on the porch by his butler. There was a little medicine cabinet on a post where all the shaving implements were. The cabinet is still there and when the employees overlooking the estate come in, that medicine cabinet is open. They close it and make sure it is closed when they leave at night. Second, there is a kitchen of sorts under the house. Herbs are dried there and anything that needs to be baked is done in ovens that are stone. When we were there, everyone stood still and the herbs that were hanging started to spin. There were no air currents as the kitchen was cold even in the summer. So what made the herbs spin?

I really enjoyed your blog and have read a couple of the Ghost hunter books,  which are good.

How cool!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

My aunt and uncle, who live near Dallas, took a short vacation to see the Alamo a few years back. They stayed at a hotel nearby that's purported to be haunted. I guess it's like an inn, with a rocking chair in the room. They were awoken in the night by a creaking sound, and the rocking chair was rhythmically rocking back and forth. It gave them a scare!

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I don't have any ghost stories but I have had some physic happenings. One that really shook me concerns my dad's death. My mom died on March 16th, 1998. My dad would constantly tell me that he would dream about her in a field with a beautiful blue dress on. He would tell me that she's going to come back for him.

Well on March 12, 2006, I woke up about 5:30 am because I heard a woman's voice whisper very softly: "Your father died!" I immediately woke up my husband in order to tell him about what I heard. I called my father later in the day to ask him how he was doing. He said he was fine, so I didn't mention the voice I heard. He said that he just got back from the supermarket and he happened to find 20 DVDs for $1.00/piece. He said that he was going to mail them to family and friends. Most of them were DVDs about Broadway shows. He also said that he went to the library the other day and the librarian gave him a new release even though he was not first on the list. He charmed the librarian by saying that he was a fast reader and he would return it very quickly. 

On Thursday, March 16th, my daughter kept calling me all day saying that she couldn't get a hold of my dad. She wanted to thank him for the DVDs he sent her. I told her that it was the anniversary of my mom's death and he probably went to visit her grave site. In the back of my mind, I was thinking about the voice I had heard 4 days prior. I was in the middle of a project and told my daughter that he would be home soon. When she called back again around 4:30 PM, I decided that I better check things out. My dad lived in Philadelphia which is 1 hour from my home in Bucks County. I called my husband and he said that he was going to a meeting but he would go to Philly and check on my dad since he was only 1/2 hour from my dad's home. When my husband arrived, my dad's neighbor said that he was getting ready to call us because he noticed that my dad's newspapers where outside all day and he never put his trash out. They both went in my dad's house and found out that he had died in bed. They called 911 and the paramedics said that it looked like he had died around 18 hours earlier which would have been around the time it changed from March 15th to March 16th. He had died very peacefully as the covers were very smooth which gave me comfort to think that it was peaceful. He had folded his wash and it was on his dresser and he even had corn beef and cabbage in the refrigerator which he had prepared for St. Patrick's day. I even found the library book sitting on the lamp table near his reading chair. He was about 100 pages into the book. 

As I was calling family and friends, they all told me that the had just watched the DVD that he sent them and was going to call him to say "Thanks". I had received 2 DVDs in the mail on the day of his death. They were The Pajama Game and Royal Wedding with Fred Astaire and Jane Powell. I thought the DVDs were very significant as he was found in his pajamas and on the bottom of Royal Wedding cover is this quote: "Hearts take flight when love is in the air". Sounds to me like maybe my mom finally did come back for him!

My daughter called me 3 months after the funeral and told me that she got a message from her grandpop. She took a pen and paper and let her hand flow. She faxed me the paper and there were a lot of words with family members' names about love and missing everyone. My daughter said that she understood everything he was trying to communicate except there was a message about a book. I told her I knew about the book and that I had already taken it back to the library. 

When you hear about physic happenings is one thing but when you experience them is another!

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
becke_davis
0 Kudos

eadieburke wrote:

I don't have any ghost stories but I have had some physic happenings. One that really shook me concerns my dad's death. My mom died on March 16th, 1998. My dad would constantly tell me that he would dream about her in a field with a beautiful blue dress on. He would tell me that she's going to come back for him.

Well on March 12, 2006, I woke up about 5:30 am because I heard a woman's voice whisper very softly: "Your father died!" I immediately woke up my husband in order to tell him about what I heard. I called my father later in the day to ask him how he was doing. He said he was fine, so I didn't mention the voice I heard. He said that he just got back from the supermarket and he happened to find 20 DVDs for $1.00/piece. He said that he was going to mail them to family and friends. Most of them were DVDs about Broadway shows. He also said that he went to the library the other day and the librarian gave him a new release even though he was not first on the list. He charmed the librarian by saying that he was a fast reader and he would return it very quickly. 

On Thursday, March 16th, my daughter kept calling me all day saying that she couldn't get a hold of my dad. She wanted to thank him for the DVDs he sent her. I told her that it was the anniversary of my mom's death and he probably went to visit her grave site. In the back of my mind, I was thinking about the voice I had heard 4 days prior. I was in the middle of a project and told my daughter that he would be home soon. When she called back again around 4:30 PM, I decided that I better check things out. My dad lived in Philadelphia which is 1 hour from my home in Bucks County. I called my husband and he said that he was going to a meeting but he would go to Philly and check on my dad since he was only 1/2 hour from my dad's home. When my husband arrived, my dad's neighbor said that he was getting ready to call us because he noticed that my dad's newspapers where outside all day and he never put his trash out. They both went in my dad's house and found out that he had died in bed. They called 911 and the paramedics said that it looked like he had died around 18 hours earlier which would have been around the time it changed from March 15th to March 16th. He had died very peacefully as the covers were very smooth which gave me comfort to think that it was peaceful. He had folded his wash and it was on his dresser and he even had corn beef and cabbage in the refrigerator which he had prepared for St. Patrick's day. I even found the library book sitting on the lamp table near his reading chair. He was about 100 pages into the book. 

As I was calling family and friends, they all told me that the had just watched the DVD that he sent them and was going to call him to say "Thanks". I had received 2 DVDs in the mail on the day of his death. They were The Pajama Game and Royal Wedding with Fred Astaire and Jane Powell. I thought the DVDs were very significant as he was found in his pajamas and on the bottom of Royal Wedding cover is this quote: "Hearts take flight when love is in the air". Sounds to me like maybe my mom finally did come back for him!

My daughter called me 3 months after the funeral and told me that she got a message from her grandpop. She took a pen and paper and let her hand flow. She faxed me the paper and there were a lot of words with family members' names about love and missing everyone. My daughter said that she understood everything he was trying to communicate except there was a message about a book. I told her I knew about the book and that I had already taken it back to the library. 

When you hear about physic happenings is one thing but when you experience them is another!

Eadie - What a wonderful story! It gave me chills. It makes me sad your dad didn't get to finish the book, but it sounds like his last days were very peaceful and happy.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Another story from my uncle, who is normally not at all a fanciful kind of guy. This happened about 20 years ago, but I'm not likely to forget it.

My uncle was a DJ for a Chicago radio station, but his home was in Milwaukee. It's not a terribly long commute, so when he got the job rather than move to Chicago he rented a condo instead. Sometimes he would drive home, sometimes he would stay in Chicago and go home for the weekend.

My aunt was a successful travel writer, and she kept an office separate from her house. When my uncle didn't get an answer when he called home, he figured she was working. She called him about an hour later and they chatted for a half hour or so.

Later that evening, someone - one of her friends, I think - was concerned when she couldn't reach my aunt at either location. Some instinct told her there was a problem, and she got the police to check on her. They found my aunt in her office, dead of a heart attack. I think she was 52, if I remember right. Way too young, anyway.

When they notified my uncle, he was shocked - they said she'd been dead for hours. He told them he'd talked to her on the phone that evening but they said she died much earlier. Nowadays they can trace phone records more than they could back then. Wouldn't it have been eerie if her call to him showed up?

To this day he swears he talked to her that night. He called me right after he got the news, and he was a wreck. I believe him, because that phone call was all he could talk about.

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Another story from my uncle, who is normally not at all a fanciful kind of guy. This happened about 20 years ago, but I'm not likely to forget it.

My uncle was a DJ for a Chicago radio station, but his home was in Milwaukee. It's not a terribly long commute, so when he got the job rather than move to Chicago he rented a condo instead. Sometimes he would drive home, sometimes he would stay in Chicago and go home for the weekend.

My aunt was a successful travel writer, and she kept an office separate from her house. When my uncle didn't get an answer when he called home, he figured she was working. She called him about an hour later and they chatted for a half hour or so.

Later that evening, someone - one of her friends, I think - was concerned when she couldn't reach my aunt at either location. Some instinct told her there was a problem, and she got the police to check on her. They found my aunt in her office, dead of a heart attack. I think she was 52, if I remember right. Way too young, anyway.

When they notified my uncle, he was shocked - they said she'd been dead for hours. He told them he'd talked to her on the phone that evening but they said she died much earlier. Nowadays they can trace phone records more than they could back then. Wouldn't it have been eerie if her call to him showed up?

To this day he swears he talked to her that night. He called me right after he got the news, and he was a wreck. I believe him, because that phone call was all he could talk about.

That is definitely wierd! Spooky too!
Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt