becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Guest Blog by Magnus Flyte: CITY OF DARK MAGIC

Please note: Both Meg and Christina are here with us, but the B&N gnomes and gremlins are giving them a hard time. Please go ahead and post your questions and comments - we're working on this!

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Not the pesky gnomes again, becke! :smileysurprised:

Just wanted to let Magnus(or  perhaps, Christine and Meg  :catwink:) that I just ordered City of Dark Magic. It's supposed to be ready for me to pick it up at my local Barnes and Noble store tomorrow.  I'm looking forward to reading it!

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
Author
literateur
0 Kudos

Fricka wrote:

Just wanted to let Magnus(or  perhaps, Christine and Meg  :catwink:) that I just ordered City of Dark Magic. It's supposed to be ready for me to pick it up at my local Barnes and Noble store tomorrow.  I'm looking forward to reading it!

That's great, Fricka! Thank you! Here's a trivia tidbit for you: when you read Chapter 3, think about this painting: 

http://www.spanisharts.com/history/barroco/imagenes/velazquez/meninas_lt.jpg

There is a Velasquez in the Lobkowicz Palace, which made us think of this one, which inspired some details in the chapter...

Hope you enjoy the read!

Christina Lynch & Meg Howrey

Magnus's Literary Executors

becke_davis
0 Kudos

literateur wrote:

Fricka wrote:

That's great, Fricka! Thank you! Here's a trivia tidbit for you: when you read Chapter 3, think about this painting: 

http://www.spanisharts.com/history/barroco/imagenes/velazquez/meninas_lt.jpg

There is a Velasquez in the Lobkowicz Palace, which made us think of this one, which inspired some details in the chapter...

Hope you enjoy the read!

Oooh, thanks for this tidbit! I love things like this!

Author
literateur
0 Kudos

Here's another bit of Prague trivia from page 382 of City of Dark Magic: if (like Max and Sarah and Nico) you go around the back of the Old-New Synagogue, there really are metal rungs set into the wall that lead up to a storeroom that, according to legend, contains the remains of the golem. We loved integrating this kind of historical trivia into the book...

Magnus Flyte's Literary Executors

becke_davis
0 Kudos

literateur wrote:

Here's another bit of Prague trivia from page 382 of City of Dark Magic: if (like Max and Sarah and Nico) you go around the back of the Old-New Synagogue, there really are metal rungs set into the wall that lead up to a storeroom that, according to legend, contains the remains of the golem. We loved integrating this kind of historical trivia into the book...

This is so cool!! You must have been so excited to come across details like this when you were researching the book!

Inspired Contributor
leisure_reader
0 Kudos

Great bog!

Have to get my hands on City of Dark Magic!  The sooner the better!

magnusflyte.com cool too!

J

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
- Eleanor Roosevelt

becke_davis
0 Kudos

leisure_reader wrote:

Great bog!

J

This is definitely my kind of book! The website is fun, isn't it? If the rest of you haven't checked it out yet, give it a click!

Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

I actually really, really want this book.  I saw it another blogger do a post about it and signed up for the giveaway of it.  I'm just having to keep my fingers crossed now.  Either way, it will be a book I read next year.

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Ryan_G wrote:

I actually really, really want this book.  I saw it another blogger do a post about it and signed up for the giveaway of it.  I'm just having to keep my fingers crossed now.  Either way, it will be a book I read next year.

I think a lot of the Mystery Forum crowd have added this book to their TBR piles!

Author
literateur
0 Kudos

leisure_reader wrote:

Great bog!

J

Thank you! Mark Ganem is our web designer--he did a great job for us. Thanks for taking a look!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

literateur wrote:

leisure_reader wrote:

Great bog!

J

Thank you! Mark Ganem is our web designer--he did a great job for us. Thanks for taking a look!

Yours is very well done. Some websites are so complicated I can't figure out how to navigate them. Yours was intriguing without being too complex.

Author
literateur
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Ryan_G wrote:

Thanks, Ryan! Hope you enjoy it. Magnus will be on the road in December and January meeting readers in Los Angeles, Corte Madera (SF), Houston, Wichita, Milwaukee, Portsmouth NH, and Boston. Check the website for details (www.magnusflyte.com). 

Another bit of trivia: Pollina's manic performance at the piano competition was inspired by a real event involving a pianist called Ivo Pogorelic. The Wikipedia page about him includes this quote referring to a New York Times article: "Anthony Tommasini noted that the pianist's 2006 performance of Beethoven's Op. 111 Sonata went from "weirdly fascinating" to "just plain weird", adding, "Here is an immense talent gone tragically astray. What went wrong?"

Magnus's Lliterary Executors

Author
literateur
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

literateur wrote:

leisure_reader wrote:

Great bog!

J

Yours is very well done. Some websites are so complicated I can't figure out how to navigate them. Yours was intriguing without being too complex.

Thanks, Becke! The beautiful drawings are by the multi-talented Meg Howrey.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

I live in Wichita, so that would be really cool.  I tried the link, but it doesn't seem to like me very well, but I was able to use the cached copy.  

literateur wrote:

Ryan_G wrote:

Thanks, Ryan! Hope you enjoy it. Magnus will be on the road in December and January meeting readers in Los Angeles, Corte Madera (SF), Houston, Wichita, Milwaukee, Portsmouth NH, and Boston. Check the website for details (www.magnusflyte.com). 

Another bit of trivia: Pollina's manic performance at the piano competition was inspired by a real event involving a pianist called Ivo Pogorelic. The Wikipedia page about him includes this quote referring to a New York Times article: "Anthony Tommasini noted that the pianist's 2006 performance of Beethoven's Op. 111 Sonata went from "weirdly fascinating" to "just plain weird", adding, "Here is an immense talent gone tragically astray. What went wrong?"

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Ryan_G wrote:

I live in Wichita, so that would be really cool.  I tried the link, but it doesn't seem to like me very well, but I was able to use the cached copy.  

literateur wrote:

Ryan_G wrote:

Will you (or should I say "Magnus") be doing any Barnes & Noble book signings?

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Christina and Meg - Thank you so much for visiting with us this week! I appreciate your efforts, especially since you had problems with the sign-in process. I know what book a lot of us will be reading over the holidays!!

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Christina and Meg - Thank you so much for visiting with us this week! I appreciate your efforts, especially since you had problems with the sign-in process. I know what book a lot of us will be reading over the holidays!!

Finished reading CITY OF DARK MAGIC over the weekend and I must say that I enjoyed it very much. 

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
becke_davis
0 Kudos

eadieburke wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

Finished reading CITY OF DARK MAGIC over the weekend and I must say that I enjoyed it very much. 

I was going to start reading my copy, but with my daughter here - and with all of us celebrating our "Faux Christmas" today - I haven't read anything this weekend. I have a lot of catching up to do!

Author
literateur
0 Kudos

Thank you so much for having us! We do not have any Barnes and Nobles on our January tour yet, but would be DELIGHTED to visit any location! We've been told by our elves that City of Dark Magic is prominently featured in the New Releases section at most B&N locations. It's been a pleasure talking to readers here and we're happy to continue the conversation here, at our Magnus Flyte facebook page, or on our website. Thank you Becke! A real pleasure!