becke_davis
0 Kudos

Guest Blog by author Rosemary Harris

Today's guest blogger is ROSEMARY HARRIS!

rosemary

Anthony and Agatha Award-nominated Rosemary Harris is back with her fourth Dirty Business mystery, SLUGFEST, set at a legendary Northeast flower show where more than just the plants are dying.

Slugfest (Dirty Business Series #4)

(I was going to post Rosemary's blog on Thursday, but she finished it early and since it's her release day, I thought I'd go ahead and post it today.)

Rosemary's website is here: http://www.rosemaryharris.com/

She blogs at JUNGLE RED: http://www.jungleredwriters.com/

Rosemary is on Facebook here: https://www.facebook.com/RosemaryHarrismystery?ref=ts

Rosemary Harris

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Guest Blog by author Rosemary Harris

about rosemary

Rosemary Harris was born in Brooklyn New York and now she, her husband and their golden retriever Max, split their time between Manhattan’s East Side and Fairfield County, Connecticut.

After several careers in book retailing , direct marketing, and video/television/public television she traded in her pumps for a yellow legal pad and a stack of pencils and started writing. A small item in theNew York Times about a mummified body piqued her interest and subsequent research led to her first book, the Agatha and Anthony-nominated, Pushing Up Daisies, the first title in the Dirty Business mystery series from Minotaur Books. Daisies was followed by last year’sThe Big Dirt Nap and in 2010, Dead Head.

“I love my heroine, Paula Holliday. People always ask how much of me is in Paula – some, but of course she’s the younger, thinner, more adventurous version of me. And she’s single…she can have more romances than I can!”

When she’s not writing or gardening, Rosemary finds time for kayaking and hiking; at last count she’s visited over 70 national parks, monuments, and recreation areas, but her favorites are Yosemite, Glacier and Canyonlands.

Something else that’s near and dear to her heart is Habitat for Humanity. Habitat’s goal is to improve substandard housing for people all over the world. If you are not familiar with them, please visit the Habitat for Humanity Web site. As of this writing, Rosemary has been on six Habitat builds, including China, Tanzania, El Salvador, two trips to Mexico, and two trips to post-Katrina New Orleans. She encourages everyone to support this amazing organization, both financially and through volunteering.

Inspired by her Habitat experiences, Rosemary and her husband Bruce have undertaken another very exciting project, building a library in central Tanzania. Visit the Chalula Library Page on her website to learn more about it.

Rosemary is a member of Sisters In Crime, Mystery Writers of America, Garden Writers of America and CMGA (Connecticut Master Gardeners Association), and is vice-president of MWA/NY and past president of Sisters in Crime, New England.

Contact Rosemary:   

Boucher4.jpg
becke_davis
0 Kudos
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Slugfest (Dirty Business Series #4) 

Synopsis

Anthony and Agatha Award-nominated Rosemary Harris is back with her fourth Dirty Business mystery, Slugfest, set at a legendary Northeast flower show where more than the plants are dying.

When Paula Holliday agrees to act as exhibit manager for a reclusive artist she’s expecting a laidback weekend picking up gardening tips. She doesn’t expect to be knee-deep in horticultural sabotage, beheaded gnomes, homicide, and something called The Javits Curse. Then an overeager attendee is found floating in the river and Paula realizes she accidentally holds a clue to his murder—that’s when the garden gloves come off and this flower show turns into a real Slugfest!

This time out Paula is joined by a colorful cast that includes Rolanda “Fort” Knox, a no-nonsense security guard; Guy Anzalone, Brooklyn's Tumbled Stone King; Jamal Harrington, a high school kid with a black belt and a green thumb; JC Kaufman, a feisty lady who hates leaving home without her weapon of choice; and a slick marketing guy hawking the hottest new product at the show, a foolproof pest repellant that people are dying to get their hands on. 

With limited means and her ragtag crew, Paula must solve her toughest mystery yet and root out a killer before she finds herself pushing up daisies.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Where do you get your ideas?

by Rosemary Harris

Every writer I know has been asked this question and the answers range from the wisecracky (“Walmart, aisle seven”) to the lengthy description of the author’s Idea File, bursting with newspaper clippings they’ve been collecting since they started writing while still in their teens.

I have a different answer – The Lakeside Diner on Long Ridge Road in Stamford, Connecticut.  At one point when I had started my first book (Pushing Up Daisies) I found myself spending so much time at the diner that I decided to make it a character in the book. That’s how The Paradise Diner in the fictional town of Springfield, CT was born.

The real owner, Jane, and one of the longtime waitresses, Lizandra, make occasional appearances in the books (with different names, of course) but the real star is the diner itself. It’s a magnet for a huge range of people from the day laborers who line the counters early in the morning, to the truckers, soccer moms, retired basketball players and writers who stream in and out until Jane closes her doors at around 2pm each day. I love that she closes at 2pm. She could certainly stay open until the wee hours the way the Paradise does, but it says that Jane has her priorities in order and she closes when she feels like it!

The diner plays its biggest role in Dead Head where a chance meeting reveals that one of the town’s most well-liked residents is actually a fugitive from the law and Paula Holliday is hired to find out what really happened so many years ago and why someone would still kill to keep it a secret.

Since my second book, Jane and the girls at The Lakeside have invited me to hold Coffee & Crime talks after 2pm when the diner officially closes – and they’re always good for picking up ideas for the next book!

Rosemary’s latest paperback is Dead Head, and newest release, Slugfest, comes out this week and is available in print and on the nook. Visit her at www.rosemaryharris.com , facebook Rosemary Harris writer and Twitter @rosemaryharris1

Check this out! http://tinyurl.com/3ollovm

lakeside.jpg
lakeside3.jpg
lakeside4.jpg
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Rosemary - thanks for a great blog, and congratulations on your new release!

I really enjoyed SLUGFEST - it hooked me from page 1 (both the short prologue and the beginning of chapter 1). Actually, I was hooked as soon as I read those great quotes!

I love the characters, and I've been noticing your use of character names in particular. Do you have any special tricks when it comes to picking names?

Author
RosemaryH
0 Kudos

Wow... a lesser woman might have given up trying to reply! For some reason i kept getting sent back to my shopping page!!

Funny you should ask about the character names - in Slugfest I was lucky enough to have three character names that were auction names. For those who may not know, at mystery conferences the right to have your name used in an upcoming book is sometimes auctioned off for charity. Jean Moffitt, Terry Ward and John Stancik were all names that relatives bid on. I had the opportunity to see Mrs. Moffitt's daughter this past weekend at Murder 203 and she was thrilled with her mother's eponymous character in Slugfest. The real Mrs. Moffitt is a gardener and in the book, the fictional one wins many garden blue ribbons. Happy accident!

Other than that I do try to have interesting names that are not too generic and not too eccentric - I've been known to look through Playbills or Stagebills and my favorite character name - Guido Chiaramonte - came from the map of Sicily.

Cheers,

Rosemary

rosemary

Learn more about Pushing Up Daisies.
becke_davis
0 Kudos

RosemaryH wrote:

Wow... a lesser woman might have given up trying to reply! For some reason i kept getting sent back to my shopping page!!

Funny you should ask about the character names - in Slugfest I was lucky enough to have three character names that were auction names. For those who may not know, at mystery conferences the right to have your name used in an upcoming book is sometimes auctioned off for charity. Jean Moffitt, Terry Ward and John Stancik were all names that relatives bid on. I had the opportunity to see Mrs. Moffitt's daughter this past weekend at Murder 203 and she was thrilled with her mother's eponymous character in Slugfest. The real Mrs. Moffitt is a gardener and in the book, the fictional one wins many garden blue ribbons. Happy accident!

Other than that I do try to have interesting names that are not too generic and not too eccentric - I've been known to look through Playbills or Stagebills and my favorite character name - Guido Chiaramonte - came from the map of Sicily.

Cheers,

Rosemary

Rosemary - I'm so sorry you had trouble getting here. This has been a glitchy week on the board but I understand the problem has been fixed. Hopefully it will be smooth sailing from here on in. Fingers crossed! Thanks for being persistent!

I love the idea of auctioning character names! I understand this is becoming a popular trend. It's a good way to find interesting names - and what a fun coincidence about Mrs. Moffitt! I have to say - Guido Chiaramonte is a WONDERFUL name!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Rosemary - It seems weird to ask this during a release week, but are you already hard at work on book 5? Can you give us any hints about the next book?

Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

Rosemary, that was a good blog to read. It seems I've read a couple of your books but can't recall the titles. Welcome to the Mystery thread and I hope you have a great day.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Author
RosemaryH
0 Kudos

Hi there,

No rest for the weary. I'm almost finished with book five and it's a slight departure from the others because it's written in the third person and Paula has a slightly smaller role. That's all I can really say about now since even my agent hasn't seen it yet!

Thanks Maxcat! If you've read some of the others I hope you check out Slugfest. it's gotten my best reviews so far and i think it's a fun story.

Cheers,

Rosemary

rosemary

Learn more about Pushing Up Daisies.
becke_davis
0 Kudos

RosemaryH wrote:

Hi there,

No rest for the weary. I'm almost finished with book five and it's a slight departure from the others because it's written in the third person and Paula has a slightly smaller role. That's all I can really say about now since even my agent hasn't seen it yet!

Thanks Maxcat! If you've read some of the others I hope you check out Slugfest. it's gotten my best reviews so far and i think it's a fun story.

Cheers,

Rosemary

I've read them all and I've always been a fan of Rosemary's books, but I think this is my favorite!

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

Rosemary:

I have read all your books too and can't wait to get a copy of SLUGFEST!

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Thanks for comming and pushing the gnomes out of your way!

Nice blog. Oh and

Slugfest (Dirty Business Series #4)  I'm going to have to order it. It was sold out when I went in to buy it. So good news there!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Happy Easter (soon!), Rosemary!