becke_davis
0 Kudos

Guest blog by author DENISE SWANSON!

Yesterday was the release day for DENISE SWANSON'S latest cozy mystery (or "puzzler" as some prefer). Rather than wait for June's Month of Cozy(ish) Crime, Denise has written a blog for us.

Denise Swanson

Denise's website is herehttp://www.deniseswanson.com/

You can find Denise on Facebook here: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Denise-Swanson/83549217292

Denise Swanson - New York Times Best-Selling Author

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Guest blog by author DENISE SWANSON!

[ Edited ]

About Denise

Denise Swanson

Denise Swanson, the New York Times best-selling author of an award-winning romantic mystery series, began writing after coming face-to-face with evil. She quickly decided she would rather write about villains than encounter them in her daily life. She was also shocked to discover that getting a book published was nearly as difficult as vanquishing scoundrels. Her books are set in Scumble River, a fictional small town in Illinois, and feature Skye Denison, a full-figured school psychologist-sleuth who is torn between a handsome police chief and an urbane coroner. Murder of a Bookstore Babe is the lucky 13th book in her Scumble River Mystery series.

Denise was nominated for RT Magazine's Career Achievement Award. Her fellow nominees included Sue Grafton and Janet Evanovich. She has spoken at hundreds of library events and other civic organizations. She has also been interviewed on radio and TV.

Her first book, Murder of a Small-Town Honey, was nominated for the Agatha Best First Mystery. It won the Reviewers Choice Awards for Best First Novel and Best Amateur Sleuth, and is currently in its fourteenth printing! Her second book, Murder of a Sweet Old Lady, was nominated for the Mary Higgins Clark Award and is in its tenth printing. Her third book, Murder of a Sleeping Beauty, is in its sixth printing.

Her fourth book, Murder of a Snake in the Grass, débuted in the top 100 of the Barnes & Noble online best-sellers and is in its seventh printing. Her fifth book, Murder of a Barbie and Ken, (ninth printing) was an RT Magazine Top Pick, spent four weeks on the Barnes & Noble Mass-Market Mystery Best-Seller list, was #1 on the IMBA Best-Seller list, a BookSense 76 Pick, and nominated for an RT Reviewers Choice Best Amateur Sleuth Award and the Daphne du Maurier award. Her sixth book, Murder of a Pink Elephant (sixth printing), was also a Daphne du Maurier finalist — coming in second, spent three weeks on the Barnes & Noble Mass-Market Mystery Best-Seller list, and was #1 on the IMBA Best-Seller list.

Book seven, Murder of a Smart Cookie, (fifth printing) débuted at #11 on the Barnes & Noble Best-Seller list and remained on the list for four weeks. Her eighth book, Murder of a Real Bad Boy, was featured on the paperback best-seller list in Entertainment Weekly magazine and is in its third printing. Her ninth book, Murder of a Botoxed Blonde (fourth printing), became a Barnes & Noble Mass-Market Best-Seller and an IMBA Best-Seller. Murder of a Chocolate-Covered Cherry, her tenth book, made the Barnes & Noble, the Borders, and the BookScan best-seller lists for over two months and is in its third printing. Murder of a Royal Pain, the eleventh book in her series, was on the Barnes & Noble Best-Seller list for two months, and is in its second printing.

Murder of a Wedding Belle, the twelfth book in her Scumble River Mystery series, débuted on the New York TimesPaperback Best-Sellers Mass-Market Fiction extended list, the Barnes & Noble Best-Seller list and the Borders Books Best-Seller list! It is already in its second printing!

Denise Swanson lives in Illinois with her husband, classical composer David Stybr ( http://www.DeniseSwanson.com/Stybr ), and their cool black cat Boomerang. Unlike her protagonist Skye, Denise realizes she can never really move very far from her hometown. But several times a year she and Dave sneak away for a little adventure.

David Stybr & Denise Swanson

Independent Music:  Andante Cantabile for String Orchestra by David Stybr (5 minutes, © 2004)

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Murder of a Bookstore Babe (Scumble River Mystery Series #13) 

Synopsis

The lucky 13th Scumble River Mystery delivers a crush of excitement.

Who could be driven to kill by books and sweets? While school psychologist Skye Denison eagerly anticipates the grand opening of a new bookstore called Tales & Treats, many of Scumble River's most outspoken citizens want to shut down the owners before they even open — and one is angry enough to commit murder...

Dropping off some books at Tales & Treats, Skye trips over a toppled bookscase, which has crushed a woman beneath its weight. While police search for motives, Skye sees the messy aftermatch of a half-baked plot to murder somebody else. Skye is juggling her own busy life, but when all the clues lead to dead ends, she turns up the heat on her own investigation ... and stumbles upon the deadly secret that got this bookstore babe done in.

And if Skye isn't careful, the killer just might make her the sequel...

Book 13 in the National Best-Selling,
Award-Winning Series!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Sunday March 6 Barnes & Noble Booksellers Bolingbrook, Illinois
Monday March 7 The Nineteenth Century Club Oak Park, Illinois
Saturday March 12 Coal City Pharmacy Coal City, Illinois
Saturday March 26 Left Coast Crime 2011 Santa Fe, New Mexico
Sunday March 27 Barnes & Noble Booksellers (Sign Stock *) Amarillo, Texas

Wednesday March 30 Barnes & Noble Booksellers (Sign Stock *)
Barnes & Noble Booksellers (Sign Stock *)
Leawood, Kansas
Kansas City, Missouri

Saturday June 18 Southeast Wisconsin Festival of Books Waukesha, Wisconsin
Thursday October 6 Texas Association of School Psychologists Annual Conference Houston, Texas
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Words to Live By

by Denise Swanson

Just after we were married, my husband and I went on a trip from St. Louis to St. Paul on a paddleboat called the Mississippi Queen. It was a seven-day cruise and we were seated at a table with three other couples. We were in our early twenties and the rest of our tablemates were in their fifties and sixties and they seemed really old to us—I know better now.

At the time, I remember thinking, what will we possibly have to talk about with these people? After the first night, that was no longer a concern. In fact we found so much to talk about; we were often the last ones in the dining room.

One of the men we were seated with was a retired army officer from Kahoka, Missouri named Hiram Hiller. He had led a fascinating life and had a folksy way of sharing his wisdom. Although I was a good ten years from even thinking about writing my first book, I was charmed by his homey sayings. So charmed that I wrote them down, and you’ll find many of his clever remarks in my Scumble River mysteries, including Murder of a Bookstore Babe, which debuted March 1st.

One of his adages is something we can all learn from today. It was: “Use it up, make do, or do without.” Growing up the daughter of a farmer, I was taught to squeeze the last bit of toothpaste from the tube, remake my clothes, and use up leftovers, but I’ve gotten away from my roots and have become less thrifty.

So my resolution is to take Hiram’s advice: Use it up, make do, or do without. Everything but books that is—I’m still buying those.

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

Welcome Denise:

Your books look very interesting - I will definitely be checking them out! Love Cozies!

Thanks for blogging for us and hope you enjoy the visit!

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Author
DeniseSwansonIL
0 Kudos

Thanks, Eadie!

Becke makes visiting so easy and welcoming.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

DeniseSwansonIL wrote:

Thanks, Eadie!

Becke makes visiting so easy and welcoming.

Aw, thank you!

Good Morning Bow picture

Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

Hi, Denise, welcome to the Mystery thread. I must check out your mysteries. They sound very good. I hope you enjoy your stay here at B&N.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Frequent Contributor
Mysterylover1138
0 Kudos

Denise

Man I wish I was still living in Illinois because I would come say hi on the 6TH :smileyhappy: You are going to be right in my old stomping grounds :smileyhappy:

Thanks for coming to visit and I will definitely be checking out your books, maybe even cozying up with one and enjoying a nice night filled with a good puzzle :smileyhappy:

Leigh

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I'm not really a book reviewer as such, but I want to give Denise's new book a plug. Of course, it's got a book store connection so I knew right away it would appeal to me. Since I'm a huge fan of romance and paranormal, I took sides in the story right away when there was a protest about the new bookstore selling "bodice-rippers" (a hot button for a lot of contemporary romance authors) and science fiction. 

Denise really knows how to make us a part of the story. I'm on an exercise-and-eat-healthy program (should have done this years ago, but still...) and I was practically on my knees when she described the frosting roses on a birthday cake the heroine was craving. Good thing I wasn't near a bakery at the time - Denise has a real talent for description!

I'm trying to avoid giving anything away, but I do recommend this. Check it out!

Author
DeniseSwansonIL
0 Kudos

Thank you Maxcat! I'm sure I'll love visiting here. Becke and B&N are a hard to beat combination.

Denise

Author
DeniseSwansonIL
0 Kudos

Thanks, Leigh! Wish you were still in IL, too. The new B&N at the Bolingbrook Promenade is an amazing store. I just love signing there.

Denise

Author
DeniseSwansonIL
0 Kudos

Thanks, Becke!

It was so much fun creating a bookstore and thinking of all the reasons someone might object to it's opening in a small town

Denise

becke_davis
0 Kudos

DeniseSwansonIL wrote:

Thanks, Becke!

It was so much fun creating a bookstore and thinking of all the reasons someone might object to it's opening in a small town

Denise

Denise - It hooked me right from the start! 

I don't have the book right in front of me, but you mentioned someone in the acknowledgements I think is a mutual friend - Melissa Kantor? (I hope I've remembered the name right!) Does she also go by Melina? if so - it's the same person, and she's WONDERFUL! 

Inspired Contributor
leisure_reader
0 Kudos

Welcome Denise

Well, I guess I know what I am doing Sunday!...I would love to meet you, your books look interesting and I would like to try them.  Do I have to read them n some semblance of order?  It appears that your new book is Number 13, Do I have to read the 12 others before I enjoy this one?  Anyway, I will see you Sunday in Bolingbrook (and it is a HUGE store for BN)

Since it appears that you are "local", have you ever been to the Printers Row Book Fair?  It is really the only reason I go to Chicago (except of course to the architectural reclamation stores-so much old stuff)

J

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
- Eleanor Roosevelt

becke_davis
0 Kudos

leisure_reader wrote:

Welcome Denise

Well, I guess I know what I am doing Sunday!...I would love to meet you, your books look interesting and I would like to try them.  Do I have to read them n some semblance of order?  It appears that your new book is Number 13, Do I have to read the 12 others before I enjoy this one?  Anyway, I will see you Sunday in Bolingbrook (and it is a HUGE store for BN)

Since it appears that you are "local", have you ever been to the Printers Row Book Fair?  It is really the only reason I go to Chicago (except of course to the architectural reclamation stores-so much old stuff)

J

I know a lot of people like to read whole series in the correct order, but I frequently read books out of order and it rarely bothers me. I would say with Denise's books you don't really lose anything by reading them as individual books, but you get a better sense of the characters and setting if you read them all.

Author
DeniseSwansonIL
0 Kudos

Becke--I'm not sure about Melissa/Melina. I haven't actually met her, just found her YA book and asked permission to use it as the source of discussion for the teen book discussion group in Bookstore Babe.

J--Yeah! It will be great to meet you Sunday. As to reading the series in order or not, if you read mostly for plot and mystery, you can start with any of the books. If you read mostly for characters and relationships, it's probably best to start with the first--Murder of a Small-Town Honey.

Denise

becke_davis
0 Kudos

DeniseSwansonIL wrote:

Becke--I'm not sure about Melissa/Melina. I haven't actually met her, just found her YA book and asked permission to use it as the source of discussion for the teen book discussion group in Bookstore Babe.

J--Yeah! It will be great to meet you Sunday. As to reading the series in order or not, if you read mostly for plot and mystery, you can start with any of the books. If you read mostly for characters and relationships, it's probably best to start with the first--Murder of a Small-Town Honey.

Denise - are you working on the next book in the series now? Can you tell us anything about it?

Denise

I will add that if you read BOOKSTORE BABE, you're going to want to read the next book for sure. Evanovich fans: think Ranger and Morelli!