Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Horror for Halloween

With Halloween coming up, I thought it would be fun to start a thread of horror stories. I'll get it started - feel free to add your own favorites, too!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Horror for Halloween

[ Edited ]

Penguin is reissuing this horror classic:

The Watcher  

Originally published in 1981 to rave reviews and impressive sales, THE WATCHER disappeared from shelves, leaving horror fans mystifyingly deprived of a novel considered to be the scariest of all time. Thankfully, Penguin is bringing this cult classic back—and it’s just as terrifying today.

Friday, rush hour. Martin Gregory just manages to catch the 4:48 train. Tomorrow is his wife's birthday and he plans to devote the weekend to her and their beloved dogs. But when he rises in the morning, Martin does something so horrific, so inexplicable, and so out of character that his only option is to run. A lost horror classic back in print at last, The Watcherchronicles Martin as his quest for understanding plunges him through shifting realities and twisted corridors of time, and into the deepest recesses of the human mind.

"The number one horror novel of all time!" --The Guardian (London)

"An extraordinary book, unlike anything else I've read." --Charlie Higson, author of The Dead

"I'm something of an insomniac. I read The Watcher and stopped sleeping altogether." --Paul Newman

"If you are easily upset...stop right here." --The New York Times

You may remember that the author of THE EXORCIST visited with us last fall:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Mystery/Guest-Blog-amp-Chat-with-Exorcist-Author-WILLIAM-PETE...

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

Stephen King is good but read his books does scare you. I always read something scary for Halloween and this year I reading Real Ghost Stories  by Brad Steiger. They are somewhat short stories but they are all scary. Some malicious, some not. I'm also rereading The Tale of Halcyon Crane by Wendy Webb. Now that book is scary. I wish the author would come out with another book.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

The Haunting of Hill House  

We Have Always Lived in the Castle  

Burnt Offerings  

The Complete Tales and Poems of Edgar Allan Poe (Barnes & Noble Leatherbound Classics)  

The Shining  

The Stand  

Needful Things  

Cell  

My favorite horror novels are The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson and Burnt Offerings by Robert Marasco (the latter is not generally available, and the hardcover pictured here on B&N is amazingly expensive).  We Have Always Lived in the Castle, by Jackson, is good, too.  And of course, any stories by Poe!  My favorite King novels among those I have read are The Shining, The Stand, Needful Things, and Cell.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Frequent Contributor
EinsteinPD
0 Kudos

Becke, thank you for this thread. I honestly like my own horror writing best, but then I am prejudiced. These books are not for the faint of heart. You have been warned...

syringe2.jpgAlcohol the Devil's drink cover.jpgsyringe.jpgJTR-SH cover.jpg

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

These look scary:

Come Closer  

House of Leaves  

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

The Haunting of Hill House  

Thief of Always  

Drawing Blood  

Dracula  

Bedbugs  

I Am Legend (and Other Stories)  

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Frequent Contributor
ScottNicholson
0 Kudos

Shirley Jackson is truly amazing and creepy.

Scott

http://www.hauntedcomputer.com

Trading words for magic beans.
becke_davis
0 Kudos

ScottNicholson wrote:

Scott

Her short story THE LOTTERY is terrifying!

dulcinea3
0 Kudos

ScottNicholson wrote:

Scott

Yes, I just love her work!  Too bad that most of her novels are not readily available these days; I think that the two I pictured in my post are the only ones you can get here on B&N (although you can also get some volumes of short stories).  Luckily, I discovered her when they were all available, so I have them all (I think)!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

dulcinea3 wrote:

ScottNicholson wrote:

Scott

Yes, I just love her work!  Too bad that most of her novels are not readily available these days; I think that the two I pictured in my post are the only ones you can get here on B&N (although you can also get some volumes of short stories).  Luckily, I discovered her when they were all available, so I have them all (I think)!

Love her too! Haunting of Hill House is the best!

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Frequent Contributor
Mysterylover1138
0 Kudos

I absolutly love that someone put Poppy Z Brite on here. Her books are truly gruesome especially if you like a little gore with your read :smileyhappy:

I am currently reading The Shining because lets face it, it is one of those books that you have to read during the scarriest part of the year.

Leigh
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Mysterylover1138 wrote:
I absolutly love that someone put Poppy Z Brite on here. Her books are truly gruesome especially if you like a little gore with your read :smileyhappy:

I am currently reading The Shining because lets face it, it is one of those books that you have to read during the scarriest part of the year.

Leigh

The Stand was my favorite of his, but I liked The Shining, too!

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Drawing Blood is one of my favorite haunted house stories of all time.  I also enjoy Lost Souls, but after that, her books are hit or miss with me.

Mysterylover1138 wrote:

Leigh

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

Ryan_G wrote:

Drawing Blood is one of my favorite haunted house stories of all time.  I also enjoy Lost Souls, but after that, her books are hit or miss with me.

Mysterylover1138 wrote:

Leigh

Ryan: I read your review yesterday and it made me want to read it - so I ordered it!

becke_davis
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I hope you love it!

eadieburke wrote:

Ryan_G wrote:

Mysterylover1138 wrote:

Leigh

Ryan: I read your review yesterday and it made me want to read it - so I ordered it!

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Ryan_G wrote:

I hope you love it!

eadieburke wrote:

Ryan_G wrote:

Mysterylover1138 wrote:

Leigh

Ryan: 

I'll let you know when I finish Drawing Blood what I thought about it.