Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
tannthemusicman

Re: I need a new book to read !

Im new to this to and im about done with the series im in right now im looking for another series maybe. you know something that i cant put down i really like those to. So if there is any suggestions for a good young adult read reply back please.

Oh and the series i just got done reading is the shadow children series by Margaret Peterson Haddix it is a GREAT read for a young adult i couldnt put it down!!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I've just discovered a new series that sounds really good.  I don't think I've read anything by this author, Louise Penny, before.  Here are some of her books: The Cruelest Month  A Rule Against Murder  Fatal Grace  Still Life  
New User
married39Plusyears
0 Kudos

Janet Evanovich.  Once you start, you'll read them all. 
New User
savannahblues
0 Kudos

Having surgery and need some good books

Any recommendations for books.  I love mysteries set in Victorian England, I have read all of Perrys' books and the Mrs Jefferys series.

Loved the Charles Todd books, any recommendations along these lines will be welcome.

Savannahblues

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Susan08 wrote:
I'm new to the book club and have some books on pre order BUT in the meantime I'd really like some suggestions for a new book / author to read.  Thanks.
Try this series:

The Knowledge of Water   Citizen of the Country   Vanished Child (Boston Mystery Series  

New User
linmic41
0 Kudos

Just read Therapy,author Sebastian Fitzek.  Really good,psychological suspense.
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Have any of you read our featured books? We have quite a variety this month!
Frequent Contributor
Nat-the-Cat
0 Kudos

Re: Having surgery and need some good books

savannahblues wrote:

Any recommendations for books.  I love mysteries set in Victorian England, I have read all of Perrys' books and the Mrs Jefferys series.

Loved the Charles Todd books, any recommendations along these lines will be welcome.

Savannahblues

My favorite book from this era is The Tea Rose by Jennifer Donnelly

Its got a little bit of everything: Romance, Mystery, History.

I read it again almost as soon as I finished it the first time.

Hope this suggestion works for you!

Frequent Contributor
Nat-the-Cat
0 Kudos

My favorite new mystery series that I can't stop telling people about are the

Russ VanAlstyne/Clare Fergusson series by Julie Spencer-Fleming.

They're Wonderful and they have something for everyone.  I bought the first one and then had to go back and buy the rest as soon as I finished the first.

In the Bleak Midwinter 

Fountain Filled with Blood  

Out of the Deep I Cry (Clare Fergusson Series #3

To Darkness and to Death (Clare Fergusson/Russ Van Alstyne Mystery Series) 

All Mortal Flesh (Clare Fergusson and Russ Van Alstyne Mysteries Series)  

I Shall Not Want (Clare Fergusson and Russ Van Alstyne Mysteries Series)  )  
Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

savannahblues wrote:

Savannahblues

You might like the Amelia Peabody series by Elizabeth Peters.  Amelia is an Egyptologist (the first book tells how she ended up in that line), but is British.  They are mostly set in Egypt, but sometimes parts take place in England, and many of the characters are British.  The series starts in Victorian times, but there have been many novels by this time, and time has passed; I think they are around the First World War, or at least some major conflict in the Egypt area.  Amelia is very much a feminist, and the books have quite a bit of humor in them, which I love!  Amelia starts out single, but then gets married, has a child, and eventually grandchildren; all the characters are great.

I won't link to all of them (I think there are 18 so far), but here are the first few:

Crocodile on the Sandbank (Amelia Peabody Series #1) 

The Curse of the Pharaohs (Amelia Peabody Series #2)

The Mummy Case (Amelia Peabody Series #3)

Lion in the Valley (Amelia Peabody Series #4)

The Deeds of the Disturber (Amelia Peabody Series #5)  
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
New User
kiminindy
0 Kudos

Susan08,

just finished Sandra Brown's "Play Dirty", it's excellent.

Contributor
scully60
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Twisted Desires  Try "Twisted Desires" A suspenseful murder mystery.  Female detective pursuing a serial killer.  It's a book with a twist.
Message Edited by becke_davis on 06-25-2009 01:26 PM
Author
JacquelineSeewald
0 Kudos

There are so many great mystery novels to read! I write for Five Star/Gale, and new mystery novels come out in hardcover every month both in the straight mystery line and also under Expressions. These are quality books from a small independent publisher.

So saying, I just finished Jayne Ann Krentz's Running Hot and The Perfect Poison, romantic suspense mysteries, which I loved. I also very much enjoy and am reading Harlan Koben's Myron Bolitar series. I haven't gotten to Janet Evanovich's new Stephanie Plum as yet.

Jacqueline Seewald

THE DROWNING POOL, Five Star/Gale 2009

THE INFERNO COLLECTION, Wheeler large print

Correspondent
momgee
0 Kudos

One Scream Away  I just finished this one and what a riveting read it is!

Also just finished James Patterson & Maxine Paetro's

Swimsuit. This book is another one that will keep you on the edge of your seat.

Swimsuit 

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Frequent Contributor
Clea_Simon
0 Kudos

Welcome, folks!

I'd love to invite you over to the discussion Karen E. Olson and I had last week when we were the Two-for-Tuesday guest chat authors! We're both relatively new (and not as well known), but you might like what we have to say and find our new mysteries appealing! 

-Clea

Shades of Grey 

Probable Claws 

Cries and Whiskers 

Mew is For Murder 

Cries and Whiskers       

"Probable Claws," April '09
"Shades of Grey," Sept. '09
http://www.cleasimon.com
Frequent Contributor
Fan4SFGiants
0 Kudos

The Neighbor,by Lisa Gardner-Her mysteries are like a cross between Robert B.Parker and Michael Crichton.

Reading For Pleasure

LTsypkin
New User
CloudMinder
0 Kudos

Check out "Precession", the first novel by Abigail Arrington.  It is a legal thriller and a pretty easy read.  Also, if you want something more involved, "Shadow Country" by Peter Matthiessen.  I would consider it a historical crime novel.
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Precession  

Shadow Country  

Here are the links to those books! 

Contributor
scully60
0 Kudos

I'm a new author and have written a murder mystery.  Twisted Desires is about a female detective pursuing a serial killer. www.twisteddesires.net
becke_davis
0 Kudos