Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: IT'S TUESDAY: Visiting Authors Today are Kelli Stanley and Rebecca Cantrell

Author
Kelli_Stanley
0 Kudos

Becke, thanks so much for finding all these videos! A friend shot the one of me reading as a surprise--I didn't even know it was happening at the time--so it was great to see it show up here on B&N. :smileyhappy:

I'm planning to sign stock at more B&Ns when I'm in town for Left Coast Crime, coming up next week! I'm tempted to go back The Grove, that amazing mall I wrote about earlier.

And speaking of Left Coast Crime, Becky Cantrell is nominated for a Bruce Alexander Award for A TRACE OF SMOKE at this conference! NOX won last year, so I'm hoping that teaming up on this thread at the B&N Mystery Club proves lucky for both of us! :smileyhappy:

I'll post which B&Ns I'm going to once I get to Los Angeles. I'll be stopping by at a few in Portland, as well.

Thanks again for everything!! :smileyhappy:

Kelli

Kelli Stanley
CITY OF SECRETS - "One of crime's most arresting heroines" - Library Journal (starred review)
CITY OF DRAGONS - Macavity Award Winner (Sue Feder Historical Mystery)
www.kellistanley.com
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Hi Kelli - Great to see you! I love it when our featured come back to give us updates - congratulations on your new release! Please congratulate Becky for me, too!

Author
Cantrell
0 Kudos

Thanks, Becke and Kelli!

Maybe the key to the Bruce Alexander nominations lies in the B&N discussion group after all. :smileyhappy:

Thanks for posting the trailer for A TRACE OF SMOKE, Becke! My good friend Richard Gorey did such an excellent job on it. He's cooking up one for A NIGHT OF LONG KNIVES too, as soon as I get him the final images (who knew that the best way to eat up all your free time was to get a book published? Well, probably everyone but me actually).

Thanks again!

Rebecca

Rebecca Cantrell
"A City of Broken Glass"
July 2012, Forge Books
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Congratulations, Rebecca! When you get that new book trailer, let me know and I'll post it for you. Maybe along with the announcement of your win?

Author
Cantrell
0 Kudos

:smileyvery-happy: That would be delightful!

But I don't have any win news yet, and I still think it's a long shot. (I know, Kelli, stop giving me that look!)

Thanks!

Rebecca

Rebecca Cantrell
"A City of Broken Glass"
July 2012, Forge Books
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Author
Cantrell
0 Kudos

Re: Congratulations to Rebecca Cantrell

[ Edited ]

becke_davis wrote:

think positive - Encouragement wallpapers 1280x800

Turns out you and Kelli were right!:smileyvery-happy:

A TRACE OF SMOKE won the Bruce Alexander Historical Mystery Award. I was in shock, but I checked the award just this morning and it really has my name on it, and everyone knows that once you have something engraved you can't take it back...

The B&N discussion group must be the key!

Here's the link to the video of me winning. I've never been so floored in all my life.

http://vimeo.com/10172022

Rebecca 

Rebecca Cantrell
"A City of Broken Glass"
July 2012, Forge Books
becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Cantrell wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

think positive - Encouragement wallpapers 1280x800

Turns out you and Kelli were right!:smileyvery-happy:

A TRACE OF SMOKE won the Bruce Alexander Historical Mystery Award. I was in shock, but I checked the award just this morning and it really has my name on it, and everyone knows that once you have something engraved you can't take it back...

The B&N discussion group must be the key!

Here's the link to the video of me winning. I've never been so floored in all my life.

http://vimeo.com/10172022

Rebecca 

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

CONGRATULATIONS, REBECCA!!!!

You're right, of course - it was our confidence in you that helped you win! Woot!!

2010 WINNER:  A TRACE OF SMOKE by REBECCA CANTRELL

2010 FINALISTS:

Tears of Pearl by Tasha Alexander

In a Gilded Cage by Rhys Bowen

A Trace of Smoke by Rebecca Cantrell

Freedom's Fight by Gary Phillips

Serpent in the Thorns by Jeri Westerson

Former winners:

2009:  "Nox Dormienda, A Long Night For Sleeping by Kelli Stanley

2006:  "Spectres In The Smoke" by Tony Broadbent

2005:  "The Witch in the Well" by Sharan Newman

2004:  "For The Love Of Mike" by Rhys Bowen

Author
Cantrell
0 Kudos

Thank you for the lovely congratulations! And also for mentioning all the nominees. A passel o' fine writers and I was honored to be listed with them.

Note our own Kelli Stanley as last year's winner too! She propped me up during the ceremony and after. It's always good to hang around with a veteran.

Rebecca Cantrell
"A City of Broken Glass"
July 2012, Forge Books
Author
Kelli_Stanley
0 Kudos

Becky, I was just so glad I could be there to see you win. :smileyhappy: The highlight of the conference!!

And don't forget--you helped prop me up last year, when I literally couldn't remember the first hour after the award.

Luckily for you, there's video footage! :smileywink:

Kelli Stanley
CITY OF SECRETS - "One of crime's most arresting heroines" - Library Journal (starred review)
www.kellistanley.com
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Kelli and Becky, don't forget to let us know if you'll be doing any B&N book signings!

Author
Cantrell
0 Kudos

Will do! I did a B&N signing in Manhattan last year, might do another there and perhaps also in Minneapolis. But nothing's booked yet! I'll let you know the second I do!

Re: Kelli: it's great having video footage, even if I look like an idiot. I'm grateful that Eric Beetner was filming it. What a great guy! (and a good author in his own right)

Rebecca Cantrell
"A City of Broken Glass"
July 2012, Forge Books
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Be sure to come back and keep us posted!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

KELLI'S NEW BOOK IS OUT THIS WEEK!

The Curse-Maker

Author
Cantrell
0 Kudos

Congratulations, Kelli! Because she's too shy to mention it, I'm going to point out that the first book in the series, NOX DORMIENDA, won the Bruce Alexander award so I have high hopes for THE CURSEMAKER.

And I also want to point out that the first book in Kelli's Miranda Corbie series, A CITY OF DRAGONS, is nominated for the Bruce Alexander award this year. Here's the list of nominees (and, yes, the second book in my series, A NIGHT OF LONG KNIVES, is also on the list. Yay!)

THE BRUCE ALEXANDER MEMORIAL HISTORICAL MYSTERY: Best historical mystery novel, covering events before 1950
Rebecca Cantrell, A Night of Long Knives (Forge Books) 
Robert Kresge, Murder for Greenhorns (ABQ Press)
Kelli Stanley, City of Dragons (Minotaur Books) 
Jeri Westerson, The Demon's Parchment (Minotaur Books)
Jacqueline Winspear, The Mapping of Love and Death (HarperCollins)

Rebecca Cantrell
"A City of Broken Glass"
July 2012, Forge Books
becke_davis
0 Kudos

A Night of Long Knives (Hannah Vogel Series #2) 
Cantrell wrote:

Congratulations, Kelli! Because she's too shy to mention it, I'm going to point out that the first book in the series, NOX DORMIENDA, won the Bruce Alexander award so I have high hopes for THE CURSEMAKER.

And I also want to point out that the first book in Kelli's Miranda Corbie series, A CITY OF DRAGONS, is nominated for the Bruce Alexander award this year. Here's the list of nominees (and, yes, the second book in my series, A NIGHT OF LONG KNIVES, is also on the list. Yay!)

THE BRUCE ALEXANDER MEMORIAL HISTORICAL MYSTERY: Best historical mystery novel, covering events before 1950
Rebecca Cantrell, A Night of Long Knives (Forge Books) 
Robert Kresge, Murder for Greenhorns (ABQ Press)
Kelli Stanley, City of Dragons (Minotaur Books) 
Jeri Westerson, The Demon's Parchment (Minotaur Books)
Jacqueline Winspear, The Mapping of Love and Death (HarperCollins)

HUGE CONGRATULATIONS TO YOU BOTH!!

Author
Kelli_Stanley
0 Kudos

Thanks, Becke ... and Becky!! :smileyhappy:

The best thing about being a writer is the crime fiction community, which is so supportive and generous and full of wonderful friends. :smileyhappy:

Thanks for the shout-out, both of you!!

I'm heading for Seattle next week to kick off the Northwest part of THE CURSE-MAKER tour.

Take care, and I hope everyone dealing with bad weather at least has a book to keep them warm! :smileywink:

Kelli

Kelli Stanley
www.kellistanley.com