Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G
Posts: 3,295
Registered: ‎10-24-2008
0 Kudos

Re: It's a HEAT WAVE!

I think I need something to take my mind of this heat.  I think it's been over 100 degrees every day for a few weeks now.  I need a good murder that takes place in a blizzard :-)

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Author
BearMountainBooks-Maria
Posts: 366
Registered: ‎10-25-2009
0 Kudos

Re: It's a HEAT WAVE!

At the very least something by the ocean or swimming pool...with lots of chilled cream pies...

Maria Schneider - My Nook Books
Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
Posts: 2,237
Registered: ‎05-04-2010
0 Kudos

Re: It's a HEAT WAVE!


Ryan_G wrote:

I think I need something to take my mind of this heat.  I think it's been over 100 degrees every day for a few weeks now.  I need a good murder that takes place in a blizzard :-)


I'm with you, Ryan. It's just toooo hot here in the Phoenix area for me to enjoy books that have such "hot" titles. Desert Heat is more than a title to me, for example--it's reality every time I set foot outside.

A Cold Day for Murder (Kate Shugak Series #1)  

 

I haven't read any of Dana's books yet, but they are on my TBR pile, and since they are set in Alaska, they are looking better and better to me all the time. Of course, books set in other cold climates like Norway(thinking of glaciers and fjords) would be good, too. Anyone else want to add to a  book title or list of books with a colder setting for summer reading?

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
Posts: 2,237
Registered: ‎05-04-2010
0 Kudos

Re: It's a HEAT WAVE!


BearMountainBooks wrote:

At the very least something by the ocean or swimming pool...with lots of chilled cream pies...


Yeah, that sounds good, too, Maria. Especially the chilled cream pies. ;-)

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
Posts: 1,925
Registered: ‎01-27-2007

Re: It's a HEAT WAVE!

[ Edited ]

Snow 

Ice 

Iced (Dani O'Malley Series #1) 

 

 

Ice Storm 

Ice Storm 

The Ice-Maiden 

Sherlock Holmes and the Ice Palace Murders (Sherlock Holmes & Shadwell Rafferty Series #2)         

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G
Posts: 3,295
Registered: ‎10-24-2008
0 Kudos

Re: It's a HEAT WAVE!

This heat is draining me this year.   I can't wait for winter to get here.

 

Boundary Waters (Cork O'Connor Series #2) 


Fricka wrote:

Ryan_G wrote:

I think I need something to take my mind of this heat.  I think it's been over 100 degrees every day for a few weeks now.  I need a good murder that takes place in a blizzard :-)


I'm with you, Ryan. It's just toooo hot here in the Phoenix area for me to enjoy books that have such "hot" titles. Desert Heat is more than a title to me, for example--it's reality every time I set foot outside.

A Cold Day for Murder (Kate Shugak Series #1)  

 

I haven't read any of Dana's books yet, but they are on my TBR pile, and since they are set in Alaska, they are looking better and better to me all the time. Of course, books set in other cold climates like Norway(thinking of glaciers and fjords) would be good, too. Anyone else want to add to a  book title or list of books with a colder setting for summer reading?


 

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: It's a HEAT WAVE!

Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: It's a HEAT WAVE!

With the fires in Colorado and other places, this book takes on new interest:

 

Chasing Fire  

Scribe
optic_i
Posts: 750
Registered: ‎06-26-2011
0 Kudos

Re: It's a HEAT WAVE!

Beneath the Shadows  

Last Rituals (Thóra Gudmundsdóttir Series #1)  

 

 

 

 

 

Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: It's a HEAT WAVE!


optic_i wrote:

Beneath the Shadows  

Last Rituals (Thóra Gudmundsdóttir Series #1)  

 

 

 

 

 


Yrsa visited with us once before - she blogs with Leighton Gage:

 

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Mystery/Please-Welcome-LEIGHTON-GAGE-amp-HIS-INTERNATIONAL-CR...

Scribe
optic_i
Posts: 750
Registered: ‎06-26-2011
0 Kudos

Re: It's a HEAT WAVE!


becke_davis wrote:

optic_i wrote:

Beneath the Shadows  

Last Rituals (Thóra Gudmundsdóttir Series #1)  

 

 

 

 

 


Yrsa visited with us once before - she blogs with Leighton Gage:

 

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Mystery/Please-Welcome-LEIGHTON-GAGE-amp-HIS-INTERNATIONAL-CR...


Thanks Becke !  I have had these books on my wishlist. The International-Crime Posse was interesting and informative. I really like the landscape of Iceland too ! 

Optic

 

Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: It's a HEAT WAVE!


optic_i wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

optic_i wrote:

Beneath the Shadows  

Last Rituals (Thóra Gudmundsdóttir Series #1)  

 

 

 

 

 


Yrsa visited with us once before - she blogs with Leighton Gage:

 

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Mystery/Please-Welcome-LEIGHTON-GAGE-amp-HIS-INTERNATIONAL-CR...


Thanks Becke !  I have had these books on my wishlist. The International-Crime Posse was interesting and informative. I really like the landscape of Iceland too ! 

Optic

 


 

 

Cold Comfort (Officer Gunnhilder Series #2) 

Frozen Assets (Officer Gunnhilder Series #1)    

Scribe
optic_i
Posts: 750
Registered: ‎06-26-2011
0 Kudos

Re: It's a HEAT WAVE!


becke_davis wrote:

optic_i wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

optic_i wrote:

Beneath the Shadows  

Last Rituals (Thóra Gudmundsdóttir Series #1)  

 

 

 

 

 


Yrsa visited with us once before - she blogs with Leighton Gage:

 

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Mystery/Please-Welcome-LEIGHTON-GAGE-amp-HIS-INTERNATIONAL-CR...


Thanks Becke !  I have had these books on my wishlist. The International-Crime Posse was interesting and informative. I really like the landscape of Iceland too ! 

Optic

 


 

 

Cold Comfort (Officer Gunnhilder Series #2) 

Frozen Assets (Officer Gunnhilder Series #1)    


Oh these look good Becke,  I remember that Iceland had to be bailed out a couple years ago. And at the time I thought it was strange that they went to Russia to help them. These books explain what it was like for them in Iceland and all the corruption .

Optic

Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: It's a HEAT WAVE!


optic_i wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

optic_i wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

optic_i wrote:

Beneath the Shadows  

Last Rituals (Thóra Gudmundsdóttir Series #1)  

 

 

 

 

 


Yrsa visited with us once before - she blogs with Leighton Gage:

 

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Mystery/Please-Welcome-LEIGHTON-GAGE-amp-HIS-INTERNATIONAL-CR...


Thanks Becke !  I have had these books on my wishlist. The International-Crime Posse was interesting and informative. I really like the landscape of Iceland too ! 

Optic

 


 

 

Cold Comfort (Officer Gunnhilder Series #2) 

Frozen Assets (Officer Gunnhilder Series #1)    


Oh these look good Becke,  I remember that Iceland had to be bailed out a couple years ago. And at the time I thought it was strange that they went to Russia to help them. These books explain what it was like for them in Iceland and all the corruption .

Optic


I never knew much about Iceland until I saw the movie THE GIRL IN THE CAFE and, oddly enough, until I saw a video of Eddie Izzard's Icelandic tour!

 

Girl in the Café