Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

Re: JENNIFER CRUSIE kicks off our Month of Romantic Suspense

Hello Jenny!

I concur: there is never enough Crusie.

Last year, I was psyched to host you, Lani, and Anne at the Romantic Reads forum to talk about Dogs and Goddesses. That was paranormal in nature, and now here you are dealing with demons. Why the turn to the supernatural? Was it an intended "career" decision or you just writing what seemed fun to write?

Also: MFC (My first Crusie) was Faking It. Possibly the greatest title ever, and a wonderful book.

New User
Bethany_M
0 Kudos

When I came down with a really nasty cold and couldn't leave my apartment and was getting bored and stir crazy, my boyfriend went out in the snow to get me The Cinderella Deal. He said he got a few weird looks for being a guy intently looking through the romance section, but it was the best thing ever. The flu scenes made me feel so much better mentally because here were awesome characters going through similar events. I've already read it twice this weekend while stuck in bed (I'm not good at sleeping when sick, I figure at least staying in bed/on the couch has to count as resting though).

Question for Jenny, you said that Mab and Ethan were based on you and Bob, did that make writing romantic scenes (even though they're not with each other) particularly awkward at all?

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Bethany -- a guy who will go out in the snow to get a romance novel for you, to make you feel better, is definitely a keeper!

Author
Jennifer-Crusie
0 Kudos

Hi, Tonya!

I usually start writing with bits and pieces, scenes that might be in the book, just the stuff I hear in my head.  I know who the protag is, usually know who the antag is, have a vague idea of a goal, but for the first chunk of the book, I just write.  Then I look at what I have and start to plot from that.

With a collab, of course, we have to get the intro, turning points and climax down first so we're all going in the same direction.

Author
Jennifer-Crusie
0 Kudos

Thank you, Debbie. 

And absolutely, thank you, Becke!

Author
Jennifer-Crusie
0 Kudos

Hi, Stephanie!

Do you mean where the came from in the story?  They're Etruscan, so Italy.

Do you mean where we got the idea?  I'm not sure.  Might have been Supernatural.  Or Reaper.  Or Bob.  Bob has demons.   

Author
Jennifer-Crusie
0 Kudos

Hi, Melanie!

Well the first paranormal was because Eileen Dreyer had an idea about witches.

Then the second one started out to be non-paranormal and I can't remember how we ended up with goddesses.

Wild Ride and the demons: I think that was my idea because I was hooked on paranormal by then.  Also I really wanted to write a haunted amusement park.  

It just kind of happened.  Of course the fact that I'm a huge Buffy the Vampire Slayer fan probably helped.

Author
Jennifer-Crusie
0 Kudos

Hi, Bethany!

Love scenes are always difficult, but in this case, writing Mab and Ethan's relationship as more brother and sister was really easy.   There's an argument between them in the book that was amazingly easy to write because we've had that argument so many times.  And since their love interests are with other characters, that wasn't awkward, either.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Jenny, Do you want to talk about the other books you're working on?

Contributor
Lettera22
0 Kudos

Hi Becke! 

Hey, Jenny!  Love, love, love your books!

Right now, reading is my guilty pleasure but I just ordered your latest.

Any advice for novice writers who spend two hours staring at the same paragraph? 

Thanks!

Jen

becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hi Jen!

Jenny's workshops have helped me immensely. I've seen examples of your writing (well, snippets, anyway) and I was instantly struck by your talent. You should definitely keep pushing, and get some words on the page.

When my kids were at college and I was bored to death, I asked myself this question (not in a morbid way): If I found out I had only months to live, what would I regret NOT doing? I think it was a kind of late mid-life crisis, but I talked to my daughter about it and she said, "Mom, you always said you'd write a Loch Ness monster story -- you should do that." 

Well, my Loch Ness monster story is still unwritten, but my daughter gets credit for that first push. Then I went to a conference where Jenny, Krissie (Anne Stuart), Lani Diane Rich and more gave writing workshops. Up until then, I had no idea how to begin writing fiction -- I'd been a garden writer for 20 years but was a virgin when it came to fiction. I had no training for it, no English degree and I was terrified I'd screw it up. I talked to Jenny at that conference and she basically said to stop dithering and write.

So Jen, now I'm saying it to you. I know you can do it, and I know you have talent. Yell out "I am a great writer!" and get back to work!

New User
Bethany_M
0 Kudos

Becke--he is a keeper, I was really thrilled :smileyhappy:

Jenny--thanks for answering. That makes a lot of sense, especially the argument.

Have you and Bob ever chosen your favorite of each other's books? Or would that be like choosing your favorite of someone else's children?

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Ooh, Bethany - interesting question. I've got one more for Jenny. Do you have a favorite of your own books, or do you always like the one you are working on the best?

New User
BrendaBradshaw
0 Kudos

GO CHERRIES! (Although I've been MIA for far too long and just now re-entering The World of Writers - man I've missed you guys!)

I'd hoped to delve into Jenny's head about plotting (her non-collaborated ones) but then read her reply and realized she doesn't plot. I always believed I didn't plot, but given my um... issues... in the end, I don't know WHAT I do. I wanna learn to plot. And here's a perfect example of why: I need a synopsis for a contest I'm entering, and I'm entering it because the final judge is an editor I'm hoping to win over with my amazingly fantastical writing and therefore dodging the slush. But how can I write the synopsis if I'm not done with the novel yet and therefore, I don't know where the story is going? Do I just make one up and MAYBE the story is like the synopsis and if it is, great, and if not, rewrite the synopsis afterward? Gah... (insert aggravation face here) (I know, I know, I should finish the book first, but well...)

Second question: Who is Liz? On your site or somewhere, can't remember, I keep seeing references to Liz's story and for the life of me, I'm totally and utterly lost.

And I just read The Cinderella Deal and yesssssssssssssssssss, there it is, right there: The Crusie Fix to hold me over til the next one comes out!

Thanks in advance!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Isn't The Cinderella Deal a wonderful book? I know Jenny isn't fond of Sizzle, but I think The Cinderella Deal has really stood the test of time.

I've ordered the reissue -- Jenny, did you revise it much?

Contributor
Lettera22
0 Kudos

Hey Becke!

I'm making a note to myself to ask you about some gardening advice. :smileyhappy:

Thanks for the kind words about my snippets. As frustrating as writing can be, I do enjoy the process. And Jenny's advice about dithering and just writing is spot on. It took me an hour to write three sentences this afternoon. That's progress!

:smileywink:

Contributor
SoozeSC
0 Kudos

yippee! I love Jennifer's books. They are a good mix of romance/humor with a dash of mystery/suspence/mayhem/zany. :smileytongue:

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Hi Sooze - Do you have a favorite book of Jenny's? What's your favorite of her collaborations?

Contributor
SoozeSC
0 Kudos

The FIRST Cruisie book I "read" was Getting Rid of Bradley--I listened to it on audiobook--i was hooked.

Love that Jen sets her books [so far] in Ohio!! Go Buckeyes! Her characters are real--the reader can picture herself as Jen's heroines. The wackier the better. We don't all have swell corporate jobs in NYC or San Francisco. 

I just got The Cinderella Deal & Manhunting---can't wait to read them. I work at a Barnes & Noble, and read all sorts of books. One of my christmas treats: Santa Baby. Enjoyed all 3 stories--hope It will be a Holiday tradition..hint hint... :smileywink:

Looking forward to catching up on all of Jen's books this year--need to fill a lot of gaps in my "C "'s!! 

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I'm not sure how much of a night owl Jenny is, so I want to be sure to thank her before she heads off to bed.

Jenny, this has been so much fun! Over 500 people have viewed your thread to day -- I can only imagine how many will have viewed it by the end of the month! The thread will be "above the fold" all month, so if you feel like stopping back and hanging out, you'd be more than welcome.

Have a great week, and stay warm!