Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
Jennifer-Crusie
0 Kudos

Re: JENNIFER CRUSIE kicks off our Month of Romantic Suspense

Hi, Jen!

My advice for people who spend hours staring at the same paragraph:

STOP THAT.

(Old Bob Newhart skit.  Sorry.)

Look, you can always fix it later.  Move on, write something fun.   This isn't rocket surgery, unlax and enjoy yourself.

Then in the final draft you can panic.

Author
Jennifer-Crusie
0 Kudos

I don't have A favorite, but there are some I like more.  And the one I'm working on at the time is always by least favorite.

Let's see.  Welcome to Temptation, Faking It, Agnes and the Hitman, probably.  Although really, I like them all.   No modesty here.

Author
Jennifer-Crusie
0 Kudos

Hi, Brenda!

1. Write a synopsis:

Write one sentence that describes the opening scene.

Write one sentence that describes each of the three turning points.

Write one sentence that describes the climax.

Flesh out the plot to no more than two double-spaces pages.

2. Liz is Liz Danger the series character I'm working on now.  She's a ghostwriter.  I like her.

You're welcome!

Author
Jennifer-Crusie
0 Kudos

I didn't revise TCD at all, Becke.  I ran out of time.  So there's some major headhopping in there.

Author
Jennifer-Crusie
0 Kudos

Thanks, Sooze!

Author
Jennifer-Crusie
0 Kudos

Thank you for asking, Becke.

Right now I'm working a four-book mystery series starring Liz Danger, a ghostwriter who travels around writing other people's lives.  In the first one, Lavender's Dead, Dilly, Dilly, she goes home and gets embroiled in a wedding at which a bridezilla ends up dead.  Second one, Rest in Pink, is at a beauty contest,  Third one, Peaches and Screams is at a county fair.  And the fourth one, Yellow Brick Roadkill, is at a high school play.

Then I'll probably go back to solos about Nadine Goodnight and Alice Archer, the eight-year-old in the book coming out in Oct, Maybe This Time, which is set in 1992.  So Alice will be around thirty in the solo book.  

I'm also working on a fairy tale collaboration with Anne Stuart and Lani Diane Rich called Fairy Tale Lies, and another collab with somebody who wishes to remain anonymous for now.  So lots of stuff.

Author
Jennifer-Crusie
0 Kudos

Thank you, Becke.  I had a wonderful time.

Love,

Jenny

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Oh, I'm so excited that Nadine will get her own book! I love the Goodnights. Great name, too. You always come up with the best names -- Liz Danger is wonderful. I love the way you take names that aren't particularly fashionable and make them seem cool. I'm trying to recall if you've ever written a Gertie, Bertha or Myrtle. Only you could make me love a heroine with one of those names.

How did I not know about your mystery series? I haven't been going to Argh, Ink often enough. When do you have time to sleep with all those books in work? Oh, right -- you're here at almost midnight. Who needs sleep?

Are you still working on the Henry James story, the Agatha Christie-type story? I'm eager to read those!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Thanks again for visiting with us, especially since you're so busy!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Hi again Jenny - I don't know if you'll see this, but I just had an email from our mutual friend Jill. She's run into some sign-in problems and asked me to post this question on her behalf:

Wild Ride recieved a TOP PICK from RT . Yay !. But the reviewer used the words" hilarious demonic adventure".   I get 'demonic adventure' but how does Jenny feel about 'hilarious' ?

becke_davis
0 Kudos

This is from Jenny's blog:

There are eleven exclamation marks up there because that where you put The Cinderella Deal on the New York Times Bestseller list:

I absolutely did not see this coming–I don’t think anybody in New York saw this coming–so you all have gone above and beyond the call of duty. Thank you so, so much!

Addendum: Actually, we’re at number 10! Because I did not see the asterisk which means we’re tied with the book above, I thought we were #11 (well, there’s a big old #11 right there) but you did even better! I’m not taking away an exclamation point, though. That would just be wrong.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

The Cinderella Deal has always been one of my favorites of Jenny's books. I just read the reissued paperback last night -- I'd forgotten how much I love that story! I'm going to send a copy to my daughter -- she can't have my copy, it's going on the keeper shelf.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I'm reposting something I just wrote on the First Look thread since it applies here:

I was lucky enough to get an ARC of Jennifer Crusie and Bob Mayer's new book, WILD RIDE -- let me tell you, that is an appropriate title if there ever was one. At times, the ride is so wild I'm breathless, and I've been laughing out loud so much my husband thinks I'm nuts. I've decided to buy the audio version of this, because even though this book has a lot of romance in it, it's far from a traditional romance. I think -- scratch that, I KNOW my husband would like this book, but he'll never sit down and read it. I'll bring it on our next road trip. 

How to describe this book? Well, think Stephen King's IT crossed with Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure and The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and maybe a little bit of Dr. Who. And don't forget the romance, which these two write like no one else on earth. And who else would bring on evil demon minions (minions! love it!) who possess cute little teddy bears!

I love zany stories, and this one is a doozy -- like the roller coasters at King's Island, it's a real "Wild Ride!"

becke_davis
0 Kudos