becke_davis
0 Kudos

JUNE: A Month of Cozy(ish) Crime

[ Edited ]

I'm featuring some cozy-ish authors next month on the Mystery board:

Week of May 31/June 1 - Connie Shelton

Week of June 7 - Krista Davis

Week of June 14 - Heather Webber (her garden mysteries mainly); she may bring her blog partners along, too

Week of June 21 - Avery Aames

Week of June 28 - Jennie Bentley

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: JUNE FEATURES AT B&N's MYSTERY BOOK CLUB

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos
becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Since we've featured quite a few cozy-ish authors in the past, I'm going to invite them all back, too. And I hope other cozy (or puzzler, if you prefer) authors will stop by and introduce themselves, too!

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
0 Kudos

I am so glad Heather will be here. I loved Truly, Madly. I am waiting for Deeply Desperate.

I will have to try one of her garden series.

Luanne

Truly, Madly (Lucy Valentine Series)

becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Some of you have chatted with Connie before on the "introduce yourself" thread, and you may have met Heather over at Romantic Reads earlier this year. Heather lives in my area, and I met her "in real life" this year.

Heather Webber.JPG
dhaupt
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Some of you have chatted with Connie before on the "introduce yourself" thread, and you may have met Heather over at Romantic Reads earlier this year. Heather lives in my area, and I met her "in real life" this year.

Becke you are so lucky.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Avery Aames has just confirmed for the week of June 21. I met her at Bouchercon last October and her book will be coming out shortly after her visit:

The Long Quiche Goodbye 

Here is a preview of The Long Quiche Goodbye.

You can follow her on Twitter for lots of food tips: http://twitter.com/AveryAames

Her website is here: 

http://www.averyaames.com/

Author
katecollinsmysteries
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I just finished Heather Webber's "Truly, Madly," and thoroughly enjoyed it. Part romance, part mystery, wholly fun.

Kate Collins, author of the Flower Shop mysteries

Author
katecollinsmysteries
0 Kudos

These are going on my TBR pile!

Kate Collins, author of the Flower Shop mysteries

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Avery Aames has just confirmed for the week of June 21. I met her at Bouchercon last October and her book will be coming out shortly after her visit:

The Long Quiche Goodbye 

Here is a preview of The Long Quiche Goodbye.

You can follow her on Twitter for lots of food tips: http://twitter.com/AveryAames

Her website is here: 

http://www.averyaames.com/

That sounds good.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I think we'll have an interesting mix of books and authors - wouldn't want you all to get bored!

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Since we've featured quite a few cozy-ish authors in the past, I'm going to invite them all back, too. And I hope other cozy (or puzzler, if you prefer) authors will stop by and introduce themselves, too!

Cool 2..for me..Thanks B      http://www.killercharacters.com/   June 1st..Heather and Friends.. Suze.. 

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: JUNE: A Month of Cozy(ish) Crime

[ Edited ]

Heather said she might invite her blog partners to join us, Suze - that would be a blast!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Dare I use the word "cozy" to describe this month's featured books and authors? I know a lot of authors prefer to call their books "puzzlers" - anything but cozies!

What is the traditional definition of a cozy, anyway? We've discussed this topic here before:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Mystery/Mystery-Genres-Noir-Cozy-quot-Literary-quot-and-more/...

(I should have labeled that thread Mystery Sub-Genres, but I'll leave it for now.)

We can discuss that more on this thread, but be sure to check out the individual threads I'll be posting for each of our featured authors. I'll bring this feature back again, because there are a LOT of authors I'd like to include!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Agatha Christie's books are often used as an example of "cozy" mysteries, but today's cozy has evolved into a more modern form.

I'd love to hear from readers and authors about this - if you are a cozy (or cozy-ish) author, please introduce yourself! Click "Add Product" if you want to post links to your books!

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Hi Becke, thanks for this month of cozies.

I love all kind of fiction mysteries especially and romantic suspense best of all and I go from thrillers, to true crime to romance, but after an especially gruesome thriller, I need a cozy or two.

I have some favorite cozy writers and Heather Webber is one of them, Hi Heather.

Some of my other favs are

A Lie for a Lie (Ministry is Murder Series #4) 

Emilie Richards and her Ministry is Murder series, great characters, great plots and some of the quirkiest characters this side of Mars.

Drive Time (Charlotte McNally Series #4) 

And then there is my dear friend Hank Phillipi Ryan and her Charlie McNally series,  who couldn't love Charlie and she's just about my age too, I like that and I just love her

The Keys to the Vault 

Plus we have someone near and dear to us that wrote a cozy that I just read over the weekend. It's our own Mr. Jim Colombo and his

This was a fun read, it had a lot of action and mystery and murder but he spared us the gory details or most of them anyway. I'll be reviewing it on my blog and here at B&N tomorrow. stay tuned.

I love Agatha's novels and always will but I tend to like a more contemporary mystery to solve as I get older. So our new and old friends of cozy writers fit my bill.