Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
0 Kudos

Re: A KILLER PLOT: A BOOKS BY THE BAY MYSTERY - another June Title

dhaupt wrote:

pen21 wrote:

I will have to add your book to my TBR pile. I have a cream standard poodle. I always like to read books that have pets in them.

Luanne

ElleryAdams wrote:

June is filled with amazing mysteries. I am currently reading E.J. Copperman's NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEED. If you're looking for a "killer beach read" check out my June 1st release: A Killer Plot. :smileyhappy: Ellery 

A Killer Plot A Killer Plot

Doesn't that cover just pull you in Luanne, I know it did me.

Yes, what a cover. And look at the face on the poodle. :smileytongue:

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: JUNE: A Month of Cozy(ish) Crime

KristaDavis wrote:

It's wonderful to see you here, Leann.  I didn't know Becke had set up such a cozy place for us to hang out, sip tea, and read!

~ Krista

I've been amiss!

Author
Heather-Webber
0 Kudos

I loved A KILLER PLOT. What a great setting (I now want to live in a lighthouse), mystery, and main character! Really memorable. Can't wait for the next one in the series. 

Writing as Heather Webber:
ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY ~ February 2011
Writing as Heather Blake:
IT TAKES A WITCH ~ January 2012
My blog: www.booksbyheather.net
www.cozychicksblog.com
www.killercharacters.com
www.thenakedhero.com
becke_davis
0 Kudos

QUESTIONS FOR OUR AUTHORS:

Awhile back I asked people in my local writer's group to suggest questions I should ask our featured authors. This is what they came up with - feel free to answer as few or as many as you'd like!

1) What of the five senses do you tap into most when you're writing?

2) What favorite book of yours do you wish you had written?

3) What do you think about the show Castle? Who do you think is hotter, Nathan Fillion or Gerard Butler? (Don't blame me, I didn't come up with these questions!)

4) Do you watch mystery TV shows and/or movies? If so, which do you like best?

5) If you were casting your books, who would you choose?

6) Are you a plotter or pantser? Do you know how your books are going to end or do you figure out as you write?

Author
ElleryAdams
0 Kudos

The Bayside Book Writers meet weekly in the lighthouse keeper's cottage. I've always lived lighthouses. They are at once romantic and mysterious. There's nothing like the beam of a lighthouse beacon over a dark sea at night to create a certain mood. 

Author
mary_kennedy
0 Kudos

I'm reading A KILLER PLOT and loving it!  The lighthouse is intriguing. Becke, as a world traveller, you will find this interesting--I just discovered that you can actually rent a lighthouse as a vacation property. A lighthouse that is fixed up as a condo, of course. How cool is that?  There's a French vacation rental site that featues "gites" and one of the most fascinating properties was a converted lighthouse. And there were other very tempting properties in the south of France. (and I'm very easily tempted when I hear of fun vacation spots!)    

Author
ElleryAdams
0 Kudos

Pen21,

You have excellent taste in canine companions! Olivia's black poodle, Captain Haviland, is barking his approval. :smileyhappy: 

pen21
0 Kudos

ElleryAdams wrote:

Pen21,

You have excellent taste in canine companions! Olivia's black poodle, Captain Haviland, is barking his approval. :smileyhappy: 

I picked up your book last night. I will be reading it over the weekend.

I can't wait.

pen21

pen21
0 Kudos

Re: JUNE FEATURES AT B&N's MYSTERY BOOK CLUB

Heather-Webber wrote:

Hi everyone! Thank you, Becke, for doing a cozy month! I already see lots of friends here, and hopefully more will be stopping by in the coming weeks.

And thanks to everyone who had kind words for Truly, Madly! Hopefully you'll love Deeply, Desperately just as much-I laughed, I cried, I sighed when I wrote it--and I really hope you will too! One of the best things that has happened because of the success of the Lucy books is that Nina Quinn and her merry band of troublemakers are finding a whole new audience. I'm really looking forward to talking about Nina with all of you. 

I have finished the first 2 in the Nina Quinn series.

Such fun books. Very good plots and love the characters.

Suze was right, the first was hard to find. But I was able to get it as an eBook.

I look forward to continuing with the series.

Luanne

A Hoe Lot of Trouble (Nina Quinn Series #1)

Trouble in Spades (Nina Quinn Series #2)

becke_davis
0 Kudos

mary_kennedy wrote:

I'm reading A KILLER PLOT and loving it!  The lighthouse is intriguing. Becke, as a world traveller, you will find this interesting--I just discovered that you can actually rent a lighthouse as a vacation property. A lighthouse that is fixed up as a condo, of course. How cool is that?  There's a French vacation rental site that featues "gites" and one of the most fascinating properties was a converted lighthouse. And there were other very tempting properties in the south of France. (and I'm very easily tempted when I hear of fun vacation spots!)    

I've heard of that, Mary, but I'm not fond of heights so I'd rather look at a lighthouse from the ground up than from the top of one! (Although the south of France is tempting . . .)

becke_davis
0 Kudos

ElleryAdams wrote:

Pen21,

You'll find a lot of animal lovers here - myself included!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

ElleryAdams wrote:

The Bayside Book Writers meet weekly in the lighthouse keeper's cottage. I've always lived lighthouses. They are at once romantic and mysterious. There's nothing like the beam of a lighthouse beacon over a dark sea at night to create a certain mood. 

That is so cool! I've been dreaming of going on a writer's retreat and that sounds like exactly the kind of setting I'd need!

Author
Avery_Aames
0 Kudos

Thrilled to see you here, Krista.  I love your books.

~Avery Aames

<a href="http://www.averyaames.com/"> AveryAames.com</a>

<a href="http://www.mysteryloverskitchen.com/"> Mystery Lovers' Kitchen</a>

<a href+”http://www.killercharacters.com/> Killer Characters </a>

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Good Evening HEATHER.....So glad you are here.We have a Thread"here on "The Mystery Board" called 'The FirstLook Holding Co and Party Central.(Which Becke Let us Take Over).Within that Tread we Have "Our Own Island "Mimosa Island.".Luanne and I were talking,and set up a "Dovie:smileytongue:ost Complete with  A Buffet.."If you would like to bring any of your:friends"that we love..Just let us know on that Thread and give us a half Hr to set up..We have Virtual Parties,shops,all extremely upscale of course...:  ) Hope you visit Our "Mimosa Island"Our Cafe is always open.Willie Nelson visited last week,,We Built him a Home..Our Spa is Amazing...Have a good night and Thanks,,,Heather....Jay-Z and Yo-Yo Ma were here a few weeks ago..We have so much fun,and great BNers....Susan...

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Author
Jimcolombo
0 Kudos

Hi to all-

This is the first time I have visited this thread, although Becke and the others will know me from other pages. 

It is great to see so many fellow authors here as well as interested readers. So many new books to add to my TBR pile! I can't wait to check them all out!

Jim Colombo

THE KEYS TO THE VAULT

Distinguished Wordsmith
crzynwrd4lf
0 Kudos

Wow so many authors so little time! My TBR pile is stacked and now my wish list is too! Right now I'm reading An Image of Death by Libby Hellmann. I was pulled in at the first paragraph. I'm waiting for Keys to the Vault by Jim Columbo to arrive. I have to say seeing all these authors here have me star struck and I want every author to know how amazing and brave I think you all are for putting your souls out there for others to treasure. Without books I never would have survived so thank you! Kayla

"One potato, two potato, three potato, four/ she's coming for you now, you better lock the door"-- Promise Not To Tell
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Kayla - stick around, I've invited more authors to join us, too!

Author
JanetBolin
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Kayla - stick around, I've invited more authors to join us, too!

Yes she has, and I'm very pleased to be here! My first novel, the first in The Threadville Mystery Series, is coming out in about a year, so I'm here more as a reader than as an author. But come to think of it, I've loved writing ever since I figured out which end of the pencil was supposed to touch the paper (my crayons were already worn to nubbies, which is not to say that my artistic endeavors were particularly great.)

I'm also a member of the Killer Characters Blog: http://www.killercharacters.com At least I thought I was, but apparently our characters mutinied, so I'm curious to see what emerges (besides dog hair) from my computer when it's my turn (er...my characters' turn) to post. Meanwhile, about the first thing I do each morning is check to see which Killer Character (and for the most part, I don't believe they're actually killers...) has what to say.

Janet Bolin

http://threadvillemysteries.com/

Author
LoisWinston
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

QUESTIONS FOR OUR AUTHORS:

Awhile back I asked people in my local writer's group to suggest questions I should ask our featured authors. This is what they came up with - feel free to answer as few or as many as you'd like!

1) What of the five senses do you tap into most when you're writing?

2) What favorite book of yours do you wish you had written?

3) What do you think about the show Castle? Who do you think is hotter, Nathan Fillion or Gerard Butler? (Don't blame me, I didn't come up with these questions!)

4) Do you watch mystery TV shows and/or movies? If so, which do you like best?

5) If you were casting your books, who would you choose?

6) Are you a plotter or pantser? Do you know how your books are going to end or do you figure out as you write?

Hi Everyone! I just joined, thanks to an invite from Becke, and posted about myself and my new mystery series on her "Introduce Yourself" thread. Becke asked if I'd seen the Cozy thread, so here I am, and I'm beginning to realize this place is deadly -- pun intended! Becke, do you have any idea how high my TBR pile is already? Luckily, I've already read a few of the books you've mentioned this month.

On to your questions for authors, though --

1. That whole "5 senses" thing is a major pet peeve of mine because I firmly believe that authors should only describe that which is important to the scene. So the answer to Question #1 is: it depends.

2. I recently discovered Ariana Franklin's historical mystery series and absolutely love it! MISTRESS OF THE ART OF DEATH is definitely a book I wish I'd written. And then there are all the Stephanie Plum books. When I die, I want to come back as Janet Evanovich.

3. Love CASTLE and Nathan Fillion is so much hotter than Gerard Butler.

4. Do I ever! Besides Castle, Law & Order, SVU, Burn Notice, In Plain Sight, and Bones are some of my favorites. I also loved Lost and am definitely going through Lost withdrawal these days.

5. I always cast Pierce Brosnan as the male lead in all my books.

6. Used to be a pantser but now have to force myself to be a plotter to sell on proposal. Which reminds me that I'd better get back to work...

Lois Winston
http://www.loiswinston.com
http://www.anastasiapollack.blogspot.com
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

crzynwrd4lf wrote:

Wow so many authors so little time! My TBR pile is stacked and now my wish list is too! Right now I'm reading An Image of Death by Libby Hellmann. I was pulled in at the first paragraph. I'm waiting for Keys to the Vault by Jim Columbo to arrive. I have to say seeing all these authors here have me star struck and I want every author to know how amazing and brave I think you all are for putting your souls out there for others to treasure. Without books I never would have survived so thank you! Kayla

Kayla you Inspire us to be Open and try new Authors as well.And it is Very Brave of all These Authors to put themselves out here,I agree http://www.killercharacters.com/ I post this site around,because I love reading about all The Characters.and "The Cozy Chicks".and Guys...Very entertaining..:  )Books have saved many many of us..And still do,its part of our DNA....Welcome Janet   Glad you are here..Enjoy..Susan Vtc

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer