Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
mary_kennedy
0 Kudos

Re: January Feature: G. M. Malliet's DEATH AT THE ALMA MATER

So glad you recommended the P.D. James book! I'll pick up a copy. I'm a huge fan of your work, DEATH of a COZY WRITER was terrific. Qutie a few people told me they "stopped by" but had trouble figuring out how to log on, and how to post. I assured them it was quick and easy...hey, I'm a techno-idiot, and if I can do it, anyone can. Glad you are with us. Dashing in to work, but will be back on line tonight.

Author
mary_kennedy
0 Kudos

Love the Stephen King quote about "excavating." Someone asked Michaelangelo how he carved DAVID out of a block of marble, and he said, "I get out my chisel and I take away everything that isn't David."   Glad you are here!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

mary_kennedy wrote:

So glad you recommended the P.D. James book! I'll pick up a copy. I'm a huge fan of your work, DEATH of a COZY WRITER was terrific. Qutie a few people told me they "stopped by" but had trouble figuring out how to log on, and how to post. I assured them it was quick and easy...hey, I'm a techno-idiot, and if I can do it, anyone can. Glad you are with us. Dashing in to work, but will be back on line tonight.

Certain browsers have problems with the BN website, unfortunately. And sometimes there are sign in glitches. Maybe Katherine Hall Page's son can explain the problem, since he fixed hers! Our tech dept. is working on it as part of the redesign of the website. Hopefully future sign-ins will be less problematic. I'm sorry to hear others are having problems! Mary, if you hear of anyone having difficulty commenting, would you have them email me? Thanks.

Author
G_M_Malliet
0 Kudos

Mary - thank you so much for the kind comment! And yes, the PD James book is probably going to end up being required reading for most mystery writers. It's a very comforting book, too, because in it she talks about how this mystery genre has lasted and lasted, pretty much to everyone's surprise, and she predicts it will grow even more popular as the world gets more uncertain with each passing day.

Look forward to talking with you more in this forum, and hearing about what you're up to now.

G.M. Malliet
http://GMMalliet.com
Author, Death of a Cozy Writer - Agatha Award winner. Chosen by Kirkus Reviews as one of the Best Books of 2008.
New series begins Sept. 2011 with WICKED AUTUMN (Minotaur Books).
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Check out this great review:

"Fans of Dorothy Sayers's novels and other Golden Age British mysteries will enjoy this contemporary salute."

http://www.libraryjournal.com/article/CA6713691.html?industryid=47120

Author
G_M_Malliet
0 Kudos

Becke - thank you!!

Another nice thing is they are applauding the return of the traditional mystery ("A New Golden Age"). For me, as a reader, this is wonderful, fantastic news: I no longer feel like the only person in the parade, although for years I've been sure I wasn't alone. It just felt that way ;-)

There are many books mentioned in the Library Journal issue that sound completely wonderful, and my own TBR pile has just grown. I do urge everyone to follow the link and maybe discover some authors they haven't tried yet.

G.M. Malliet
Author, Death of a Cozy Writer - Agatha Award winner. Chosen by Kirkus Reviews as one of the Best Books of 2008.
becke_davis
0 Kudos

I've always been a fan of the traditional mystery (along with many other types of mysteries), so it came as a shock to realize everyone else didn't feel the same way. I'm very happy to hear the trend is shifting!

Author
mary_kennedy
0 Kudos

Re: Library Journal article on: G. M. Malliet's DEATH AT THE ALMA MATER

So glad you posted this, Becke, it's a terrific article. Loved the line  <<And G.M. Malliet in Death at the Alma Mater uses many of the staples found in Agatha Christie: an eclectic cast of characters, a handful of suspects, and a satisfying denouement>> Very nice, indeed!!.

Author
mary_kennedy
0 Kudos

I copied and printed out the cozy list mentioned in the Library Journal article. So glad you posted it, Becke, I am visiting my friends at my local B and N today in Wilmington,Delaware and will bring the list with me. There are definitely some new names on the list (new to me, I mean) and it's always fun to discover new authors. I tend to read the whole backlist when I find an author I love, I think a lot of writers do that. I want to read every word they've written, and I look forward to their new releases. Sometimes I feel like contacting them and saying, "Hey, write faster!!" I guess I am a true fan <G>.  

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Mary, I can relate. Now that Facebook, Twitter, etc. has made authors more accessible, I will admit I have finished a book and then contacted the author to say, "Hurry up! I can hardly wait for the next one!"

Author
G_M_Malliet
0 Kudos

I don't know how to post a new messagedifferent topic, so I'm replying to your message, Becke, with something unrelated. Forgive if this makes no sense. But I have just udated my book trailer and thought I'd share the link here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiGK4FSR2Q0

G.M. Malliet
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Here's the actual video:
Author
JacquelineSeewald
0 Kudos

I read Death and the Lit Chick just a few months ago and enjoyed it very much.  G. M. I love your witty sense of humor. I thought the novel was very clever. I plan to read your new novel as well.

All the best,

Jacqueline Seewald

The Drowning Pool, Five Star

The Inferno Collection, Five Star hardcover, Wheeler large print

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I meant to ask G.M. if Cambridge was really formed under the circumstances she described in the book. I've visited both Oxford and Cambridge, and I admit I'm a bit partial to Cambridge.

Author
G_M_Malliet
0 Kudos

Thanks so very much for this nice comment! Can you tell us a little about your latest?

G.M. Malliet
Author
G_M_Malliet
0 Kudos

Becke - Cambridge is a mellower place than Oxford. Very close to heaven during the brief summer period. They are both lovely, of course, but Oxford is more of a city.

And yes, Cambridge was founded by "escapees" from Oxford, pretty much as I describe in the opening pages of Death at the Alma Mater.

G.M. Malliet
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Listen to Nancy Pearl of KUOW.org / NPR radio talking about Death of a Cozy Writer (mp3 file): "G.M. Malliet's Death of a Cozy Writer is a delightful homage to the great novels of Britain's Golden Age of Mysteries."

"G.M. Malliet's hilarious first mystery is a must-read for fans of Robert Barnard and P.G. Wodehouse. I'm looking forward eagerly to Inspector St. Just's next case!"

Author
G_M_Malliet
0 Kudos

p.s. Just packing to leave for home from the American Library Association meeting in Boston. "Our Own" Robin Burcell, fellow featured author for January, was also there signing books at the Sisters in Crime booth. The convention continues today, with tons of books being given away.

G.M. Malliet
becke_davis
0 Kudos

If you (or Robin) are ever doing book signings at a Barnes & Noble, be sure to post about it here. (This thread will always be accessible if you search your name.) 

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: January Feature: G. M. Malliet's DEATH AT THE ALMA MATER **possible spoilers**

For those of you who like book club-type questions, I've taken these from G.M.'s website:

1. St. Michael’s College is as much a character in Death at the Alma Mater as are the fictional characters. What other detective or mystery novels can you name where a place or an institution played this role?

2. The characters in the book reunite after some years for an alumni gathering, and the atmosphere is tense from the start. How does this compare with reunions—academic or family—you may have attended? 

3. In what ways have the old members of St. Mike’s changed over the years? Have they remained the same?

4. Sebastian (Seb) Burrows, a young student, seems to be a “golden lad” but also to be a driven and unhappy soul. What did you learn about his background that may have played a part in shaping his character? 

5. Discuss Augie Cramb’s role in the story. Are you sympathetic to his quest, or do you think he should have left the past alone?

6. How well has Hermione Jax managed to escape the role in life that was assigned to her? 

7. Lady Bassett is described as a man’s woman—physically unremarkable yet possessed of a magnetic charm. Have you met women like her in your life? What do you think is their appeal? 

8. Geraldo Valentiano is the quintessential roué. What do you think is the basis for the perennial attractiveness of a man like Geraldo?

9. In what ways is Lexy Laurant different from or similar to her old rival Lady Bassett? 

10. Discuss the role of the River Cam in the story. What does it symbolize to you?

11. DCI St. Just is portrayed as a decent, hard-working, yet shrewd public servant. Does he remind of you of other fictional detectives? How is he the same, or different?

12. The academic setting, such as that of Death at the Alma Mater, has long been a favorite for detective, mystery, and/or comic novelists. What other novels by what authors have you read with such a setting? What do you think is the appeal of the academic setting for these authors?