Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
Robin_Burcell
0 Kudos

Re: January Feature: Robin Burcell's THE BONE CHAMBER

Are you trying to scare me?  :smileywink:  

News at ten:  California mystery author tours Great Lakes area.  May be months before she finishes next book, due to frozen fingers.  (I'm using this as my excuse when my editor asks me why my book is late!!!)

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Chicago temp:
21°F | °C
Current: Cloudy
Wind: W at 11 mph
Humidity: 69%

Author
Robin_Burcell
0 Kudos

So basically what you're saying is that those things we use here in California as fashion accessories (Scarves, and on rare occasions, gloves) are more of a neccessity! 

:smileysurprised:  Yikes!!!

Note to self:  Get bigger coat, pack long johns, bring gloves!  And stay inside!!!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Maybe a balaclava . . .

My daughter grew up in Chicago and Cincinnati but has been in Florida for five years. When she visits Chicago in JUNE now, she always brings a jacket. 

I usually go to a horticultural trade show in Chicago in January. Had to skip it this year, but last year it was NINETEEN BELOW when I was there for the show. Without the wind chill.

Brrrrrrrr.

Author
Robin_Burcell
0 Kudos

I think I'd rather have baklava and sit by a nice warm fire!  I'm pretty sure that anything below forty is as close to freezing as I want to get!  Hellllpp!!!!

On the other hand, it'll give me some good background for writing those next scenes in which Sydney Fitzpatrick is walking through the snow without a coat and gloves (only because she is fleeing the bad guys who have broken into the house she was staying at in Amsterdam.  (Not that I'll be walking without coat and gloves!  You'll recognize me as the girl who looks like a bundled up polar bear!)

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Ah, what writers will do for the sake of the muse!

bundled-up.jpg
Author
Robin_Burcell
0 Kudos

It looks just like me!  LOL!

Author
Robin_Burcell
0 Kudos

I'm off and running to the airport!  I'll try to report while on the road if I can get my dumb computer to work this time!  (It quit linking to the internet on me in Boston!)  If anyone is in Wisconsin, look for me on "Wake Up, Wisconsin" on Friday morning! (Barring any big news that I might get cut for!  Let's hope for a slow news day!)

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Oh, you're coming from Boston? Then the Midwest will be a piece of cake. 

Are you doing book signings at any Barnes & Noble stores on this trip? Let's plug them, if you are. (And if not, let's at least mention what cities you will be visiting.)

Author
Robin_Burcell
0 Kudos

As a matter of fact, I will be doing some drop-in signings of B&N's!  (No formal signings!)  Boston was last week.  And it was a balmy 40 while I was there.  I'm flying in from California.  Maybe WI and IL will warm up just for me?  :smileyhappy:

The tentative schedule will be drop in to Chicago B&N on Thur.    When I find out, I'll post it!  Boarding the plane as we speak (er, or type!)

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Have a safe and successful trip!

Author
Robin_Burcell
0 Kudos

Here I am in Madison, getting ready to wake up at 4 to appear on Wake Up, Wisconsin on Friday morning at 5:30.  It's going to be {{{{ 2 }}}} degrees tomorrow!!! 

Today I managed to visit several Barnes & Noble stores.  The first was in Sherman Plaza in Evanston, IL, where I was met by Christopher. 

Webster Place B&N in Chicago, where I was greeted by Jon, the "Nook-spert," and then by the store manager, Katie.  (Gotta love that Nook/expert contraction!)

Also the B&N at State and Elm in Chicago, where Ben Glaser greeted me.  All were beautiful stores, and great employees.

And I must say the most interesting (you'll see why in a moment) stop was at the B&N at Old Orchard in Skokie, IL, if only because Ozzy Osbourne was soon to be there (on Saturday.)  I really thought it would have made a great combo.  Cop writer and Rocker writer...  Unfortunately I have an engagement on Saturday, or I would have been there!!!  Kathy Glarner invited me to stop by...  wondering if I can get out of my Saturday signings to go see Ozzy...

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I've been to the B&N's at Old Orchard and Sherman Plaza, I think. (My grandparents used to live in Evanston.) I mainly go to the B&N on the UChicago campus when I'm downtown, and the one in Schaumburg when I'm in the suburbs.

Have fun in Wisconsin and STAY WARM!!

Author
Robin_Burcell
0 Kudos

Here's the link to the interview on the morning news in Madison Wisconsin! Not my best side, but they did get the book on there!

http://tinyurl.com/yc9kmgy

Or the actual link:

http://www.wkowtv.com/global/video/flash/popupplayer.asp?ClipID1=4499337&h1=Officer-turned-mystery%2...

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Rats, I tried to embed the video here but the code isn't working.

Author
Robin_Burcell
0 Kudos

Just back from two more great Barnes & Nobles.  The first at the EastTowne Mall, where I spoke with Amy, while I signed books.  Another great and personable B&N employee! 

Signed several books there, then headed back out to the arctic chill.  (Note to self: See about getting a book out in warmer months!!!)

Next up was the B&N at West Towne Mall.  This B&N was huge!  I was greeted by Mary, who then contacted the CRM (Community Relations Manager) of the store, Jeanne Huie.  Jeanne and I chatted about books while I signed their stock.  Turns out that she and I had very similar tastes in books when we were younger.  Both of us had well-loved and tattered copies of the LORD OF THE RINGS series at home among other books.

I think that's what I love about B&N employees, is that they are all as passionate about books as I am.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

If I went to all those Barnes & Noble stores, my bookshelves would be overflowing. Oh wait -- they already are!

Loved your interview, and it was very cool to watch it in such a timely manner!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Robin - I can't believe how fast this month flew by! Thanks so much for taking the time to visit with us, especially when you had so much else going on.

This thread has had a LOT of views, so hopefully our viewers have discovered your books and have joined the ranks of your fans.

This thread is "yours" so you are always welcome to update it when you have a new book out or when you have news of any kind, including upcoming B&N book signings. Any time a comment is posted here it will move the thread to the front of the board. The thread will always come up when someone searches your name or book titles, too.

I really enjoyed THE BONE CHAMBER and I've bought some of your other books, too. My to-be-read pile was manageable until I started coming here!

Thanks again for spending the month with us -- I hope to meet you in person one of these days!

Author
Robin_Burcell
0 Kudos

Becke,

Thanks so much for hosting me!  Hope to meet you, too!

Just got back from Chicago, Milwaukee and Madison.  It is 57 degrees warmer here in California!  Sun is out and shining! (For the moment.  Big storm moving in!)

I want to give a big shout out to all the Barnes & Noble readers who have viewed my pages here.  You all rock!  And because you rock, I'll be popping on the next month every so often, too, with book info exclusively for the B&N online book club!!!  Stay tuned!!!   

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I hope you do stop in often -- it's always fun to visit, even if I am really jealous of your warm weather.