Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
Posts: 1,762
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Joe Hill - Stephen King's son

Has anyone read Joe Hill's first novel Heart Shaped Box? (I think that's the correct shaped box) He is Stephen King's son and he looks exactly like him. He had written short stories previously but this is his first book. He wanted to see how he would do without the famous last name of King so he used Joe Hill. It's suppose to be very good and very similar to his father's style of writing. It's about a rock and roll star who collects very unusual items. He buys an old suit online from the family of the previous owner who is deceased. It's suppose to be haunted by the dead man and he's not a happy camper. Bad things happen. I haven't had a chance to get to it yet but I plan on reading it eventually.
Wordsmith
kiakar
Posts: 3,435
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Joe Hill - Stephen King's son



Wrighty wrote:
Has anyone read Joe Hill's first novel Heart Shaped Box? (I think that's the correct shaped box) He is Stephen King's son and he looks exactly like him. He had written short stories previously but this is his first book. He wanted to see how he would do without the famous last name of King so he used Joe Hill. It's suppose to be very good and very similar to his father's style of writing. It's about a rock and roll star who collects very unusual items. He buys an old suit online from the family of the previous owner who is deceased. It's suppose to be haunted by the dead man and he's not a happy camper. Bad things happen. I haven't had a chance to get to it yet but I plan on reading it eventually.




Wow! thanks for this info: I didn't know Stephen King had a son. Wow! Or that he was even married! A double WoW! The book sounds good though. Will have to check that out also.
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
Posts: 1,762
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Joe Hill - Stephen King's son


kiakar wrote:


Wrighty wrote:
Has anyone read Joe Hill's first novel Heart Shaped Box? (I think that's the correct shaped box) He is Stephen King's son and he looks exactly like him. He had written short stories previously but this is his first book. He wanted to see how he would do without the famous last name of King so he used Joe Hill. It's suppose to be very good and very similar to his father's style of writing. It's about a rock and roll star who collects very unusual items. He buys an old suit online from the family of the previous owner who is deceased. It's suppose to be haunted by the dead man and he's not a happy camper. Bad things happen. I haven't had a chance to get to it yet but I plan on reading it eventually.




Wow! thanks for this info: I didn't know Stephen King had a son. Wow! Or that he was even married! A double WoW! The book sounds good though. Will have to check that out also.




He's been married a long time and his wife is a writer too. Her name escapes me at the moment. I read an article about them once and it was describing the early days in their marriage and careers. I think they were living in a trailer and may have already had children. Stephen was writing a novel and didn't like it so he threw it away. He wife fished it out of the garbage and convinced him to finish it. He did and that book was his first success, Carrie. How cool is that? Their son Joe is in his thirties. I think they have three children and only one isn't involved in writing.
Distinguished Bibliophile
Paul_Hochman
Posts: 2,801
Registered: ‎03-23-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Joe Hill - Stephen King's son

[ Edited ]
Stephen's other son, Owen, is a writer as well:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbninquiry.asp?ISBN=1582345856&pdf=y&z=y

His wife is the author, Tabitha King:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbninquiry.asp?ISBN=0425215709&pdf=y&z=y

Message Edited by PaulH on 05-08-200702:37 PM

Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Joe Hill - Stephen King's son

I think the original idea was to keep Joe Hill's relationship to Stephen King a secret, but apparently either the author or his publishing company decided to nix that idea, because it's certainly not a secret any more. I haven't read the book yet, but I've heard good things about it.
Wordsmith
kiakar
Posts: 3,435
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Joe Hill - Stephen King's son



Wrighty wrote:

kiakar wrote:


Wrighty wrote:
Has anyone read Joe Hill's first novel Heart Shaped Box? (I think that's the correct shaped box) He is Stephen King's son and he looks exactly like him. He had written short stories previously but this is his first book. He wanted to see how he would do without the famous last name of King so he used Joe Hill. It's suppose to be very good and very similar to his father's style of writing. It's about a rock and roll star who collects very unusual items. He buys an old suit online from the family of the previous owner who is deceased. It's suppose to be haunted by the dead man and he's not a happy camper. Bad things happen. I haven't had a chance to get to it yet but I plan on reading it eventually.




Wow! thanks for this info: I didn't know Stephen King had a son. Wow! Or that he was even married! A double WoW! The book sounds good though. Will have to check that out also.




He's been married a long time and his wife is a writer too. Her name escapes me at the moment. I read an article about them once and it was describing the early days in their marriage and careers. I think they were living in a trailer and may have already had children. Stephen was writing a novel and didn't like it so he threw it away. He wife fished it out of the garbage and convinced him to finish it. He did and that book was his first success, Carrie. How cool is that? Their son Joe is in his thirties. I think they have three children and only one isn't involved in writing.




Isn't that weird how your crazy mind thinks! I guess because his writes weird stuff I think his life would be weird. And to, usually the stuff he writes, makes me feel he is younger than he really is. I did hear that about his first book, Carrie. That was weird. ha! I have read and viewed some of his movies but he is not my favorite author of all or nothing like that. His life though, is interesting. Thank you alot. WRighty for cluing me in on him.
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
Posts: 1,762
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Joe Hill - Stephen King's son

kiakar wrote:
Isn't that weird how your crazy mind thinks! I guess because his writes weird stuff I think his life would be weird. And to, usually the stuff he writes, makes me feel he is younger than he really is. I did hear that about his first book, Carrie. That was weird. ha! I have read and viewed some of his movies but he is not my favorite author of all or nothing like that. His life though, is interesting. Thank you alot. WRighty for cluing me in on him.




You're very welcome Kiakar. I just thought it was an interesting little tidbit I'd read about.
New User
leesadler-54
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎07-05-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Joe Hill - Stephen King's son

Stephen King's wife name is Tabitha King. She also has written a book. Very good.
Wordsmith
kiakar
Posts: 3,435
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Joe Hill - Stephen King's son



leesadler-54 wrote:
Stephen King's wife name is Tabitha King. She also has written a book. Very good.




So what genre is it?
Frequent Contributor
mayumithrasher
Posts: 103
Registered: ‎01-27-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Joe Hill - Stephen King's son

She's actually written a handful. I've found them in the Mystery section and also the General Fiction section. They seem like thrillers. I started reading one in the bookstore but wasn't interested enough to buy it. I might check one out at the library.

-Mayumi




kiakar wrote:


leesadler-54 wrote:
Stephen King's wife name is Tabitha King. She also has written a book. Very good.




So what genre is it?

Frequent Contributor
Crystal8i8
Posts: 46
Registered: ‎02-04-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Joe Hill - Stephen King's son

Well, I consider myself a fan of Stephen.  I have read Candles burning by Tabitha.  But for some reason the fact that his sons write escaped my brain.  Thanks for the reminder!
The Butterfly Girl 8i8

"Children aren't coloring books. You don't get to fill them with your favorite colors." - The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
New User
linnyreader
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎02-04-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Joe Hill - Stephen King's son

I have always liked Stephen King, and knew he was married and had daughters but did not know he had a son.  How did I miss this?  I have not read thhis story but will look for it now.  Thanks !  linnyreader
Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
Posts: 4,012
Registered: ‎11-01-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Joe Hill - Stephen King's son

I have the book, also 20th century ghosts by him. Interesting that he is Steven King's son. I started reading it a while back after Christmas and have gotten to the part that the guy is finally figuring out the suit is haunted and bad stuff happens. But then I put it down and had to read the two books for this club and will pick it up when I finish Hamish Macbeth's story.
The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Joe Hill - Stephen King's son

I think Stephen King's son wanted to prove he could write without his books being clouded by his father's reputation.  I would say he succeeded because his book -- can't remember the name of it -- got great reviews before Joe HIll revealed who he was.
Inspired Scribe
IBIS
Posts: 1,735
Registered: ‎11-22-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Joe Hill - Stephen King's son



becke_davis wrote:
I think Stephen King's son wanted to prove he could write without his books being clouded by his father's reputation.  I would say he succeeded because his book -- can't remember the name of it -- got great reviews before Joe HIll revealed who he was.


Joe Hill wrote The Heart-Shaped Box to rave reviews. This was his second book. The story terrified me that I refused to continue reading it at night.
 
His other book is a collection of short stories... Twentieth Century Ghosts. I couldn't believe how the hairs on the back of my neck stood up. I consider myself a fairly good judge of horror stories, and Joe Hill is the real McCoy.
 
Stephen King's other son, Owen King, is also a fine writer....
 
You know what they say, the fruit does not fall far from the tree. With Tabitha and Stephen as their parents, are we surprised that their boys would be fascinated by anything other than horror? And good quality writing it is too.

I'm looking forward to following their careers.
 
IBIS
IBIS

"I am a part of everything that I have read."
Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Joe Hill - Stephen King's son

After seeing your comments, I'm going to have to read those books -- but only when I'm sure my husband is going to be in town for awhile!!