becke_davis
0 Kudos

July at B&N's Mystery Forum

[ Edited ]

How can it be summer already? This year has flown!

Lots of authors will be visiting in July - here are the authors who are already on the schedule. More guest blogs will be added throughout the month!

Week of July 2: – Joelle Charbonneau (new series)

Murder for Choir  

Week of July 9: Lou Berney

Whiplash River  

Tuesday, July 10: Guest blog by RUTH HARRIS

(Sorry - Add Product isn't working)

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/hooked-a-thriller-ruth-harris/1111409920

HOOKED, A Thriller

Week of July 16: Alex Kava

Hotwire (Maggie O'Dell Series #9)  

Tuesday, July 17 – Guest Blog by Rebecca Cantrell

A City of Broken Glass  

Thursday, July 19 – Guest Blog by Timothy Hallinan

The Fear Artist  

Week of July 23: Kay Hooper

Haven  

Week of July 30: American Mystery Classics - Ellery Queen (rescheduled from May)

Face to Face 

Tragedy of Errors and Others 

In the Queens' Parlor and Other Leaves from the Editors' Notebook 

The Siamese Twin Mystery     

Tuesday, July 31 – Guest blog by Emily Arsenault

Miss Me When I'm Gone  

Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Re: July at B&N's Mystery Forum

Becke, is there an updated schedule for the American Mystery Classics?  I had thought that you would just switch months for Queen and Disney, but if we're doing Queen in July, are all the authors shifted around?  I thought we were still reading Charlotte Armstrong in July.  This month is still Ed McBain, right?  No big deal, just trying to get things straight so I can plan my reading schedule!  Thanks!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
becke_davis
0 Kudos

dulcinea3 wrote:

Becke, is there an updated schedule for the American Mystery Classics?  I had thought that you would just switch months for Queen and Disney, but if we're doing Queen in July, are all the authors shifted around?  I thought we were still reading Charlotte Armstrong in July.  This month is still Ed McBain, right?  No big deal, just trying to get things straight so I can plan my reading schedule!  Thanks!

I'm a little confused myself. I moved Ellery Queen because there are so many EQ books a few people requested more reading time. I put Doris Miles Disney in that month instead, because even though I consider her a classic, her books are hard to find. I wasn't sure any of you would have a chance to read her books.

I was going to put EQ back this month, but if you'd prefer we stick to the original schedule, that's fine with me.

In fact, if any of you have suggestions for revising the schedule, let me know. None of the American Mystery Classics choices are set in stone.

I'll take your votes for July - Ellery Queen? Charlotte Armstrong? What would you prefer?

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Okay, no votes either way. Since it's been pretty dead around here, I think I'll make it a double feature, both Charlotte Armstrong AND Ellery Queen. I'll post one later today and one tomorrow.

We'll have a couple double feature guest blogs this week, too.

dulcinea3
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Okay, no votes either way. Since it's been pretty dead around here, I think I'll make it a double feature, both Charlotte Armstrong AND Ellery Queen. I'll post one later today and one tomorrow.

I was waiting to see if anybody else had any preferences.  Charlotte Armstrong would be better for me, since I have my July reading planned out already, including the two novels I have by her.  If we do Ellery Queen, it will be more difficult, since I have two novels and the equivalent of two short story collections, but if that were chosen for July, I could skip some other discussions I was planning.  But now I'm even more confused, since you say you will be posting them today and tomorrow, and I thought we were talking about next month, not this one!  I thought we had Ed McBain this month, and I only have one short story by him, which I had planned in my reading schedule.  I would not be able to read everything I have by Charlotte Armstrong AND Ellery Queen by next week!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
becke_davis
0 Kudos

dulcinea3 wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

I was waiting to see if anybody else had any preferences.  Charlotte Armstrong would be better for me, since I have my July reading planned out already, including the two novels I have by her.  If we do Ellery Queen, it will be more difficult, since I have two novels and the equivalent of two short story collections, but if that were chosen for July, I could skip some other discussions I was planning.  But now I'm even more confused, since you say you will be posting them today and tomorrow, and I thought we were talking about next month, not this one!  I thought we had Ed McBain this month, and I only have one short story by him, which I had planned in my reading schedule.  I would not be able to read everything I have by Charlotte Armstrong AND Ellery Queen by next week!

I jumped the gun and posted Charlotte Armstrong already. Honestly, I'm going nuts with all the workmen all over my house. My excuse is that the paint fumes are melting my brain cells! I'm not on top form, that's for sure.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

I haven't voted yet, because my brain has been turning to mush in the summer heat. I still have some Ellery Queen books to read, but if you want to go ahead and discuss them, I could try to play catch-up, I guess. I've never heard of Charlotte Armstrong before, so I think I'd need to go to my library(assuming they have her books). But the way my brain is fizzing out on me, I think I will just play possum during the CA discussion.

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Fricka, we had Ed McBain and Charlotte Armstrong at the end of June.  Ellery Queen will be the end of July.  I haven't started reading him yet, because I'm making my way through A Game of Thrones, but in about a week, I should be in the midst of Queen.  I have two novels, and the equivalent of two short stories collections, so I'll see how much I can get through!

I'm not really sure what the schedule is for the rest of the year, since things have jumped around so much!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

dulcinea3 wrote:

Fricka, we had Ed McBain and Charlotte Armstrong at the end of June.  Ellery Queen will be the end of July.  I haven't started reading him yet, because I'm making my way through A Game of Thrones, but in about a week, I should be in the midst of Queen.  I have two novels, and the equivalent of two short stories collections, so I'll see how much I can get through!

I'm not really sure what the schedule is for the rest of the year, since things have jumped around so much!

We've got Ellery Queen at the end of this month. After that we can either go with the schedule as it now stands (with the requested changes) or we can change it. 

If you'd rather feature someone other than those shown, let me know. None of this is set in stone. It's easier to move things around when the authors aren't joining us!