Author
Karin-Slaughter
0 Kudos

Re: KARIN SLAUGHTER blogs about Agatha Christie 9/2

Becke,

I don't remember which Christie I read first, but I do know it came from the library. I was always sneaking into the adult section (and getting in trouble for it, too!) and would naturally gravitate toward mysteries. Thank goodness for libraries and inquisitive readers, huh?

Harrogate was a wonderful conference, but it was unfortunately at the tail end of a very long month of travel for me, so half the time I couldn't remember my room number, let alone any conversations we had! I'm sorry I don't have any insights into her "lost days" but I do have a few of those myself! haha

Thanks for being such a wonderful hostess!

Karin

Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

becke wrote:

Max - I've been browsing through my many books about Agatha Christie and one of them mentions her failed attempts to become a smoker and drinker. She might not have been a party animal - far from it - but she still stayed abreast of the times. Modern readers sometimes scoff at her books for being quaint, but in books like THE PALE HORSE and THIRD GIRL she did make an effort to appeal to a younger generation of readers. I think she would be true to herself, but I have no doubt she'd experiment with new ideas. Look at THE MURDER OF ROGER ACKROYD, MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS and AND THEN THERE WERE NONE - she was never afraid of breaking new ground

Becke, I never thought of that, but you're right. She did take strides to sort of modernize back then.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Karin-Slaughter wrote:

Becke,

I don't remember which Christie I read first, but I do know it came from the library. I was always sneaking into the adult section (and getting in trouble for it, too!) and would naturally gravitate toward mysteries. Thank goodness for libraries and inquisitive readers, huh?

Harrogate was a wonderful conference, but it was unfortunately at the tail end of a very long month of travel for me, so half the time I couldn't remember my room number, let alone any conversations we had! I'm sorry I don't have any insights into her "lost days" but I do have a few of those myself! haha

Thanks for being such a wonderful hostess!

Karin

I can relate!

Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

I think Agatha Christie was a strong believer in women's rights. I'm halfway through DESTINATION: UNKNOWN, which I hadn't read in awhile, and the heroine is dealing with depression, divorce, the loss of a child and is even considering suicide. Those topics are as relevant today as they ever were. She speaks through her characters, and is derisive of one gentleman who "has little use for women," and another who talks of wives as if they were little more than brainless possessions. 

When Hilary Craven, the heroine, describes her ex-husband, it was easy to picture Archibald Christie in that role. Hilary also is driven to escape all the grief in her life, and, again, I wondered if Agatha Christie was speaking through her character. 

And, as I was reading last night, it also occurred to me that both Agatha Christie and Hilary take on the identity of another woman!  I'm thinking of when Christie signed into the spa at Harrogate using her husband's mistress' name.  And that brings us full circle back to Harrogate, where this thread started!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Another unusual thing about DESTINATION: UNKNOWN just struck me - there is no murder until VERY late in the book, and it's a minor part of the plot. I'm trying to remember if that was the case in any other Christie book.

dulcinea3
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

becke_davis wrote:

Another unusual thing about DESTINATION: UNKNOWN just struck me - there is no murder until VERY late in the book, and it's a minor part of the plot. I'm trying to remember if that was the case in any other Christie book.

I would think that the best candidates are the spy novels, like this one, because the espionage is the main thing, but I don't remember details of many of those.  I'm sure there are short stories with no murders, involving missing persons and that sort of thing - especially the Harley Quin stories, and maybe Mr. Parker Pyne, but I think even Poirot has had some non-murder cases in the short stories, at least.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
becke_davis
0 Kudos

dulcinea3 wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

I would think that the best candidates are the spy novels, like this one, because the espionage is the main thing, but I don't remember details of many of those.  I'm sure there are short stories with no murders, involving missing persons and that sort of thing - especially the Harley Quin stories, and maybe Mr. Parker Pyne, but I think even Poirot has had some non-murder cases in the short stories, at least.

You're right. In The Labors of Hercules and a lot of other Poirot short stories, there are crimes such as jewel robberies, kidnappings, etc., but not necessarily murders. Funny - I never really thought about this before.

dulcinea3
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Funny - I never really thought about this before.

Neither did I! :smileyhappy: