Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

Re: Kate Stine of MYSTERY SCENE magazine blogs about Agatha Christie

Hi, Kate, so nice to meet you here on the mystery thread. I like Mystery Scene magazine and pick it up occasionally. This month's issue sounds good. I will have to look for it. Thanks for stopping by.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Frequent Contributor
Kate_Mystery_Scene
0 Kudos

Glad you enjoy Mystery Scene!

You can always buy subscriptions and back issues at our website.

And, of course, you can also get current issues at  Barnes & Noble, Borders, Hastings, Books-A-Million, Waldenbooks, independent bookstores and newsstands.

Frequent Contributor
Kate_Mystery_Scene
0 Kudos

Re: Where in the World is Agatha Christie?

I know what you mean Fricka. I wish there were more maps in mystery novels these days. (I also wish everyone were required to wear name badges at all times, but that's a different story...)

Off the top of my head, I can't remember what Matthew's favorite Christie novels were.

I know he liked Pocket Full of Rye. And for sure he's VERY fond of The Mousetrap since his grandmother gave him the copyright for his ninth birthday!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Kate_Mystery_Scene wrote:

Glad you enjoy Mystery Scene!

You can always buy subscriptions and back issues at our website.

And, of course, you can also get current issues at  Barnes & Noble, Borders, Hastings, Books-A-Million, Waldenbooks, independent bookstores and newsstands.

Now, you all are only paying attention to the one in bold, right?

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I know what you mean Fricka. I wish there were more maps in mystery novels these days. (I also wish everyone were required to wear name badges at all times, but that's a different story...)

Off the top of my head, I can't remember what Matthew's favorite Christie novels were.

I know he liked Pocket Full of Rye. And for sure he's VERY fond of The Mousetrap since his grandmother gave him the copyright for his ninth birthday!

Kate - Can you remember which books were Agatha's favorites? I seem to remember she mentioned a few in her autobiography, but it's been awhile since I read it.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Kate and all - I'll be around this afternoon, but I'm going on a girls' night out for a couple hours at dinner time. I'll check back when I get home.

Frequent Contributor
Kate_Mystery_Scene
0 Kudos

AGATHA on the ORIENT EXPRESS

Christie met her second husband, Max Mallowan, while traveling via the famed Orient Express to the Middle East. She later used the train as the setting for one of her most famous mysteries, "Murder on the Orient Express,"

Today, this luxury train is still running:   http://www.orient-express.com/web/vsoe/venice_simplon_orient_express.jsp

Here's a behind-the-scenes video about recreating this famously glamorous train for the recent "Murder on the Orient Express" adaptation for Masterpiece Mystery! series starring David Suchet as Poirot.        

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/poirot/orientexpress_bts_recreating.html

Frequent Contributor
Kate_Mystery_Scene
0 Kudos

AGATHA in NEW YORK CITY, Part 1

NEW YORK'S GILDED AGE and CHRISTIE
How many of you recall that Agatha Christie had an American father? Raised mainly by his grandparents, Frederick Alvah Miller, enjoyed a sociable youth in New York City before his marriage in 1878. He socialized with the leading families of New York and was a member of the Union Club.

The sort of life Frederick led is described in the novels of Henry James and Edith Wharton. (And in fact, Henry James visited Frederick & Clara Miller, Agatha's parents, at their home in Torquay around 1900.)

In her "Autobiography," Agatha mentions her father's numerous flirtations with "social beauties and witty girls in New York (among them Jenny Jerome, afterwards Lady Randolph Churchill)..."

The American Jennie Jerome, take before her marriage to Randolph Churchill.

The well-known New York City historian, Joyce Gold gives a guided walking tour called "Fifth Avenue Gold Coast" that covers period. Joyce Gold History Tours of New York

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Map in several genres would be lovely.

That you for the tour and the article, looks like a nice vaction jaunt. Thank you Kate!

Frequent Contributor
Kate_Mystery_Scene
0 Kudos

AGATHA in NEW YORK CITY, Part 2

METROPOLITAN MUSEUM OF ART, NEW YORK CITY
Agatha had a long and active life. In addition to her own successful career, she played a vital role in the archaeological expeditions of her second husband, Sir Max Mallowan. The Metropolitan Museum  was a major supporter of the Nimrud expedition from 1951 to 1963 and a number of cuneiform tablets and many major works of art that Max and Agatha discovered—stone sculpture, ivory carvings, bronzes, etc.—are part of the Ancient Near Eastern Art Collection. Of particular interest is the Raymond and Beverly Sackler Gallery for Assyrian Art, which recreates an audience hall in the Northwest Palace of Ashurnasirpal II (r. 883–859 B.C.) at Nimrud.

Two of the ivories excavated at the Nimrud site.

There is a second interesting tie between Agatha Christie and the Metropolitan Museum. In the introduction to "Death Comes as the End" (1944), Christie noted that her inspiration--including most of the characters and the situation leading to  murder-- “was derived from two or three Egyptian letters of the XIth Dynasty found about twenty years ago by the Egyptian expedition of the Metropolitan Museum of Art..."  

The Egyptian Hekanakhte manuscripts inspired Christie's Death Comes as the End.

The Metropolitan Museum of Art, 1000 Fifth Ave. at E. 82nd Street, New York. 

Note: Christie's various archaeological connections are explored in fascinating detail in "Agatha Christie and Archaeology," edited by Charlotte Trumpler, The British Museum Press, 2001. This book contains many striking photos, drawings, and other artwork that I hadn't seen before.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: AGATHA in NEW YORK CITY, Part 2

METROPOLITAN MUSEUM OF ART, NEW YORK CITY
Agatha had a long and active life. In addition to her own successful career, she played a vital role in the archaeological expeditions of her second husband, Sir Max Mallowan. The Metropolitan Museum  was a major supporter of the Nimrud expedition from 1951 to 1963 and a number of cuneiform tablets and many major works of art that Max and Agatha discovered—stone sculpture, ivory carvings, bronzes, etc.—are part of the Ancient Near Eastern Art Collection. Of particular interest is the Raymond and Beverly Sackler Gallery for Assyrian Art, which recreates an audience hall in the Northwest Palace of Ashurnasirpal II (r. 883–859 B.C.) at Nimrud.

Two of the ivories excavated at the Nimrud site.

There is a second interesting tie between Agatha Christie and the Metropolitan Museum. In the introduction to "Death Comes as the End" (1944), Christie noted that her inspiration--including most of the characters and the situation leading to  murder-- “was derived from two or three Egyptian letters of the XIth Dynasty found about twenty years ago by the Egyptian expedition of the Metropolitan Museum of Art..."  

The Egyptian Hekanakhte manuscripts inspired Christie's Death Comes as the End.

The Metropolitan Museum of Art, 1000 Fifth Ave. at E. 82nd Street, New York. 

Note: Christie's various archaeological connections are explored in fascinating detail in "Agatha Christie and Archaeology," edited by Charlotte Trumpler, The British Museum Press, 2001. This book contains many striking photos, drawings, and other artwork that I hadn't seen before.

Charlotte Trumpler's book is fascinating! I just re-read DEATH COMES AS THE END - a bit different for Christie, but still has her magic touch.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: AGATHA on the ORIENT EXPRESS

Christie met her second husband, Max Mallowan, while traveling via the famed Orient Express to the Middle East. She later used the train as the setting for one of her most famous mysteries, "Murder on the Orient Express,"

Today, this luxury train is still running:   http://www.orient-express.com/web/vsoe/venice_simplon_orient_express.jsp

Here's a behind-the-scenes video about recreating this famously glamorous train for the recent "Murder on the Orient Express" adaptation for Masterpiece Mystery! series starring David Suchet as Poirot.        

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/poirot/orientexpress_bts_recreating.html

I absolutely loved the David Suchet special about the Orient Express - it sounded like he was having a ball!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Kate - thanks for posting such great information! It was a perfect way to celebrate Dame Agatha's birthday. I hope everyone will check out Mystery Scene magazine, too!

Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
0 Kudos

Kate,

I am here late. I really like the Christie tour and appreciate you joining us here.

William Kent Krueger is on of my favorites. I have been lucky to hear him at book signings.

Such a nice author and so informative.

Luanne

Frequent Contributor
Kate_Mystery_Scene
0 Kudos

Mystery Scene visits B&N -- and has a great time!

Hey everyone,

I really enjoyed visiting with you all over the last few days. Christie fans are always so much fun and so well-read generally...

Kate Stine

www.mysteryscenemag.com

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Mystery Scene visits B&N -- and has a great time!

Hey everyone,

I really enjoyed visiting with you all over the last few days. Christie fans are always so much fun and so well-read generally...

Kate Stine

www.mysteryscenemag.com

And in some cases (who, me?), a little obsessive when it comes to the Queen of Crime!

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Thanks so much for your enlightening posts, Kate. I enjoyed every one of them, very much. BTW, I did visit MysteryScene, and tried to send a Reader's Review, but had some problems with the address going through. Anyway, I'm going to be on the lookout for MysteryScene the next time I visit a Barnes and Noble or Borders store, for sure.

becke, you got back too soon--I wanted to wish you a fun ladies' night out! Hope it WAS a lot of fun!

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Guess I need to start paying more attention to the day an entry is posted--here I am, two days late in wishing you a fun night out, becke!  :smileysurprised:

Well, I WOULD have wished it for you Wed., if I had peeked in here then.

I don't suppose you all went out for tea and scones, did you??? hee hee! Would like to hear details, though, if you want to share them with us.

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Fricka wrote:

Guess I need to start paying more attention to the day an entry is posted--here I am, two days late in wishing you a fun night out, becke!  :smileysurprised:

Well, I WOULD have wished it for you Wed., if I had peeked in here then.

I don't suppose you all went out for tea and scones, did you??? hee hee! Would like to hear details, though, if you want to share them with us.

Thanks, Fricka! We went out for pizza - a treat I rarely allow myself. It was a fun evening!