becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: MICHAEL PALMER, April Featured Author

I've read Tess' books but she's never been a guest here. Hmm, that's an idea. We should do a month of medical mysteries sometime!

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Good Morning Michael..Its been fascinating reading all your responses..I must say though,even with movies being made  from novels,very few are as good as the book.Mystic River for me was an exception.I just viewed seak and signed up for any emails that you generate..I was curious,and was really taken with all you offer..Will have a look at "Rizzoli"(I thought it was the bookstore  ;  ).Just saw the S.U.D.pdf file..as well..How has working in that area affected your characters,as you develop them?..Thanks  Susan.Vtc

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Oh Becke a whole month of medical mysteries now that would be quite an "operation"

Author
Michael-Palmer
0 Kudos

tess is definitely an MD who writes, but she writes more police procedurals than medical suspense......my definition of medical suspense involves creating the fear in readers that "this could happen to me or someone i care about.".....in the interest of not being repetitive, that definition sometimes has to be sort of expanded......categorization is never such a good idea anyway......

i am looking forward to creating a continuing character, and may do it with my next book.....i have some ideas......

but first, i've got to finish A Heartbeat Away.......maybe late June...... 

Author
Michael-Palmer
0 Kudos

i love northern new england and have a 230 yo "gentleman's  farm" in NH.....so lucky us....

please, all of you, sign up to be my facebook "fans" . . . i am going to try interactive stuff like this throughout the year.....

as long as such things don't take up too much "writing time"......

now it's off to work on AHA......

i have a peer support meeting tonight for my medical job so i've got to get some stuff done.....

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Michael-Palmer wrote:

i love northern new england and have a 230 yo "gentleman's  farm" in NH.....so lucky us....

please, all of you, sign up to be my facebook "fans" . . . i am going to try interactive stuff like this throughout the year.....

as long as such things don't take up too much "writing time"......

now it's off to work on AHA......

i have a peer support meeting tonight for my medical job so i've got to get some stuff done.....

Have a great day, Michael! I've been to northern New Hampshire - it's beautiful there. My brother lives close to Woodstock VT - not far from you. 

Author
mary_kennedy
0 Kudos

Michael, I've mostly been in lurk mode because I've had some difficulty signing on...I've really enjoyed your visit here. Love the writing tips you posted, by the way. And the insight into how you sold your first book, your introduction to the publishing world, etc. All fascinating! I'll be sure to join your fan page on FB.     

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Hi Mary - thanks so much for stopping by! I just finished reading the ARC of REEL MURDER and it's another winner!

It fascinates me how mysteries, thrillers and suspense all provide that 'kick' but sometimes in very different ways. I enjoy all kinds of mysteries (and thrillers and suspense) - I read them all.

Michael, your books and Mary's both have mysteries at the core, but they are VERY different. Did the two of you make conscious decisions to write in the styles that have brought you success? Or have you tried writing different types of books, too?

Author
Michael-Palmer
0 Kudos

thanks, mary......i'm right here where i almost always am, today incorporating my editors notes into the first 200 pp of a heartbeat away......her main problems (she loves most of it) center about the number of characters introduced early on, and the pacing, which is being slowed down by the number of characters.......it will take me most of a week to "simplify", then i will move on......my goal is to finish before the end of june......this will be the fifth book i have written in the last 5 years......i never thought i'd be able (or willing) to do that.......

best--

becke_davis
0 Kudos

A book a year - a SUCCESSFUL book a year - is a pretty amazing feat, Michael. Congratulations!

Author
Michael-Palmer
0 Kudos

all i say every day is

ithinkican.....ithinkican......ithinkican

and all of a sudden i have a book

then i take a week off, wipe the dried blood from the keyboard, and start over again.....

ithinkican......ithinkican......ithinkican.......

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Good grief, Michael - thanks for the visual - I can totally picture the dried blood on the keyboard. Eww!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Michael, our kids are about the same age - my son and daughter are always trying to get me to read the books they've read and liked, and I'm always passing on my favorites to them. I've discovered a few authors this way that I might have missed otherwise. Have your kids introduced you to any new and exciting books/authors?

Scribe
JdiennoPSU
0 Kudos

Michael-Palmer wrote:

all i say every day is

ithinkican.....ithinkican......ithinkican

and all of a sudden i have a book

then i take a week off, wipe the dried blood from the keyboard, and start over again.....

ithinkican......ithinkican......ithinkican.......

What a wonderfule visual :-)

- JJ

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.

FACT: Childhood cancers are the #1 disease killer in children - more than asthma, cystic fibrosis, diabetes, and pediatric AIDS combined.
Author
mary_kennedy
0 Kudos

Becke, so glad you aare enjoying REEL MURDER. I am insanely flattered to mentioned in the same sentence as Michael Palmer...as you know, I write light, funny mysteries. I do use my background as a psychologist, but in a very light-hearted way.  Maggie, the heroine in the Talk Radio Mysteries is a clinical psyhcologist, like me, but that's where the resemblance ends. She jumps ship, closes her Manhattan office and moves to sunny Florida to become a radio talk show host.  I'd love to tackle a psychological thriller, and I think I need to take the workshop that Michael and Terry offer, it sounds terrific. I would love to get the nuts and bolts approach of how to put a thriller together...I tend to be a seat-of-the-pants writer, always going for the joke or one-liner and I think I need some structure. Michael's books are beautifully plotted, intricately woven. That is something to aspire to!    

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Great to see you here, Jdienno! Mary, I see great things ahead for you, too.

Michael, we've heard a lot about all the work you have going on. What do you do for fun?

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I will be on the road tomorrow, en route to Chicago. Since the broadband connection is sometimes iffy from the car, I want to take this opportunity to thank Michael for a wonderful visit.

Michael, you have been an ideal guest - I really appreciate how generous you have been with your time and how forthcoming you've been with your responses.

This thread is "yours" - it will always be accessible (just search your name here) and it can be reactivated at any time by adding a new comment. Please do come back whenever you have news (new release, awards, B&N book signings, etc.) so we can continue to follow your career.

Tomorrow is still your day - I'll be posting Jonathan Kellerman's intro before I leave but I don't expect him until Monday. I'll try to check in tomorrow - thank you so much for joining us this month!!

Author
mary_kennedy
0 Kudos

Hi Michael, Just echoing Becke's sentiments, it was great to see you here!

Author
Michael-Palmer
0 Kudos

i talk about books all the time with my three "boys", and have bought two of them kindles......matt, a diplomat in the foreign service has just sent his first novel to my agent -- it's a diplomatic thriller that i am reading now and liking......he is mostly a non-fiction guy when he reads, but not long ago turned me onto the girl with the dragon tattoo (loved it)......daniel, who is working on book 2 of a 3-book thriller deal reads all the time and steers me to books by his favorites: harlan coban, lee child, joe finder, james lee burke, and john lescroart, as well as greg hurwitz and michael connolly......luke, a college freshman, has written a graphic novel about juliet joining forces with shylock to battle marauding zombies.......my agent has asked to see it...... i read it and think it's great......

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Michael - it sounds like libraries and book stores are going to have to brace for a whole "Palmer Family" section  - sounds like your apples didn't fall far from the parental tree!