Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
Michael-Palmer
0 Kudos

Re: MICHAEL PALMER, April Featured Author

This book, to be published in June by international thriller writes was conceived of and edited by masterful writer David Morrell.....I chose the prisoner of zenda by anthony hope from a compiled list......it was great fun-- a book my father introduced me to when i was in jr. high.......

this will be a reference book but also a great read.....

m

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Michael-Palmer wrote:

i'm a plodder......i think.....i think.....i think......and then i write very fast (typing with 2 fingers, one of which is sprained right now)......

My new effort is A HEARTBEAT AWAY......a lethal, highly contagious virus is released during the state of the union, and the president is forced to quarantine the capitol leaving only the "doomsday successor") .....the hero is griff rhodes, a virologist who begins the book in solitary confinement as a domestic terrorist......i hope to be done by the end of june......pub date is 2/16/11

back to the writing..... 

You've typed 15 books with TWO FINGERS???? I'm seriously impressed. I'm so sorry to hear you've got a sprained finger, and my mind is boggling at you typing all these responses with one finger!!

The new book sounds like another winner. I hope you'll come back and talk about it when it comes out!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Judging by your website and MySpace page, and the fact that you've got a cool soundtrack to THE LAST SURGEON, I'm guessing you are into music.

Do you have music playing while you write? And, if so, what do you listen to?

Author
Michael-Palmer
0 Kudos

i typed my first two books on a $78 manual olivetti typewriter......when un-sprained, i am a wickedly speedy 2-finger typist......so long as i can look at the keys and not copy......

as for music, i work in silence.......sometimes i put the radio broadcast of the red sox or celtics games on for white noise......if writing's going well, nothing bothers me.....if it's going poorly, a fly on the window is too much.....

becke_davis
0 Kudos

As I understand it, you are still a practicing doctor. How do you find time for two successful careers?

Author
Michael-Palmer
0 Kudos

i work much less at my medical job (see www.physicianhealth.org) than i did before i started signing contracts for 3 books in 3 years and now 4 books in 4 years......who said this stuff was easy??

I still love the contact i get from helping docs who are experiencing health problems......

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I know authors get their ideas all over the place, but I was wondering if any of your books were inspired by medical events or situations you experienced in real life.

Author
Michael-Palmer
0 Kudos

many of the medical events i write about have happened to me......others i amalgamate from a combination.....as i get further and further from the ER, i must use my imagination more and more.....i also must ask other docs for the latest treatments......

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I forgot to mention this - about halfway through the book there's a scene where a fake key is cut from a pop can. I had never heard of this, but it really makes sense - did you come up with that idea yourself?

Author
Michael-Palmer
0 Kudos

Koller wouldn't want to leave traces on the key that it was duplicated--microscopic bits of clay.....

so i went to a terrific locksmith and he told me the soda can trick.......

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Michael-Palmer wrote:

Koller wouldn't want to leave traces on the key that it was duplicated--microscopic bits of clay.....

so i went to a terrific locksmith and he told me the soda can trick.......

I'm trying to picture that conversation - I hope that locksmith had read your books! Either that, or you just have an honest face!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

What is it like having two authors in the family? Did you encourage Daniel to write or did you warn him about the difficulties of getting into such a competitive business?

I wonder if I'm just noticing it more now, or if there really is a new trend toward famous authors passing on the baton, so to speak. Not in the sense of quitting their own careers, but in the sense of bringing the next generation into the writing business.

Michael Palmer - Daniel Palmer

James Lee Burke - Alafair Burke (I also discovered Andre Dubus III, author of House of Sand and Fog, is James Lee Burke's cousin)

Stephen King - Joe Hill

Jonathan Kellerman and Faye Kellerman - Jesse Kellerman

Am I missing others?

dhaupt
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Oh listening to this conversation is too much - I'm stopping by my local B&N tonight on my way home and getting it.

I can think of two other two author families Nancy Bush and Lisa Jackson and Iris and Roy Johansen

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Oh, how could I forget those? Lisa and Nancy were guests here just a few months ago, and I've got one of the Iris & Roy Johansen books in my TBR pile.

Who else? I'm sure there are others.

I kinow we've had over 200 visitors to this thread since Michael arrived yesterday. Anyone else have questions for Michael? If you're having trouble posting comments, you can also contact me on Twitter: Becke_Davis. For that matter, Michael is there, too: Michael_Palmer

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Very pleased to meet you as well Michael..I am so interested in SUD,that I will read more posts before I jump in..Thank you for being here with us..I think its a great 2 way learning street  Susan Vt

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Author
Michael-Palmer
0 Kudos

i like this exercise.....actually there are a number that i can think of without really trying......

like dirk and clive cussler

felix and the now late dick francis

carole and mary higgins clark

anne and chris rice

kathy reich and her daughter ?carolyn

let's carry on with this......

Author
Michael-Palmer
0 Kudos

many thanks, debbie.....every single book helps.....you would all be shocked if you know how few copies in hardcover make the difference between #15 on the times list (the "printed list" as it is called) and say #25 (the "extended" list).....ultimately, it's still the number that cross the cash register, but the best seller lists (times, bookscan, b&n, and publisher's weekly) still mean a lot to the publishers....

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I'd forgotten about Dick and Felix Francis, but I didn't know Kathy Reichs' daughter was a writer. I'll have to check her out.

This is fun, but also embarrassing. I should have thought of these! Anyone else have more to add? Any related authors - not just parents and children.

Author
Michael-Palmer
0 Kudos

it occurs to me that I never really answered your question about multiple writers in one family.....in three words, it's a joy......son luke, a college freshman, has written a graphic novel (like an in-depth comic book......word is that oldest son Matt, state department, is toying with a novel in his spare time, and of course, daniel is writing book 2 of a 3-book deal with kensington press......he and i talk about problems, and each has been a help to the other......i predict great things for daniel, whose expertise is computers, and whose very scary books are cyber thrillers......

Author
Michael-Palmer
0 Kudos

stumbled across SUD while researching the last surgeon and loved the notion of trying to quantitate feelings......start with a google search.......