Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
Michael-Palmer
0 Kudos

Re: MICHAEL PALMER, April Featured Author

happy easter to you and to the club, becke......

i used to live in north college hill and consider cincinnati one of the underappreciated jewels in our country......my only problem with cincy as a lifelong new-englander is that the closest thing to cape cod is . . . cape cod

as for my name......i never expected my first book, the sisterhood, to sell a million + copies and be translated into 37 languages......even so, I don't think my mother could have survived constantly having to explain to people "I know what the book cover says, but he really is my son, michael......"

Daniel and his publishers kensington, recently decided to publish under the name daniel palmer rather than daniel james palmer......i have no idea why.....

Author
Michael-Palmer
0 Kudos

know of paul, but now I will investigate him......

thanks

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Michael-Palmer wrote:

know of paul, but now I will investigate him......

thanks

Paul is great, and I'm sure he'd love to get a heads' up about an up-and-coming graphic artistic/author. You can send him a personal message here or on Twitter or Facebook. Let me know if you'd rather send him an email.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Michael-Palmer wrote:

happy easter to you and to the club, becke......

i used to live in north college hill and consider cincinnati one of the underappreciated jewels in our country......my only problem with cincy as a lifelong new-englander is that the closest thing to cape cod is . . . cape cod

as for my name......i never expected my first book, the sisterhood, to sell a million + copies and be translated into 37 languages......even so, I don't think my mother could have survived constantly having to explain to people "I know what the book cover says, but he really is my son, michael......"

Daniel and his publishers kensington, recently decided to publish under the name daniel palmer rather than daniel james palmer......i have no idea why.....

I'm a Chicago native - still love that city, but Cincinnati definitely grows on you. And spring comes here a little earlier than it reaches Chicago.

My brother lives up near Woodstock, VT and I have relatives in the Berkshires. Believe it or not, I've never been to Cape Cod even though I once lived in Northern New Jersey and used to go to New England all the time. My education is sadly lacking. 

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Michael - you've had pretty phenomenal success in a relatively short time. How has that changed your life?

What is your goal as a writer? Do you plan to continue writing mystery or do you have dreams of something else?

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Here's a few more questions, Michael - no rush to answer them.

1) What of the five senses do you tap into most when you're writing?

2) Which authors are your comfort reads?

3) What were the mystery books you read as a child or teenager?

4) Do you watch mystery TV shows and/or movies? If so, which are your favorites?

5) If you were casting THE LAST SURGEON, who would you choose for the lead roles?

Author
Michael-Palmer
0 Kudos

well, i wish my career were relatively short . . . it has been if you consider 32 years short......i started my very first book (never published) in 1977--thanksgiving to be exact.....got an agent in the winer of 1979, and sold my first book (the sisterhood) as an outline in early 1980......it was published in 1982 after 5 drafts......for a long time i worked full time as an ER doc and full time as an author, publishing a book every 2-3 years......in 1990, when i last child was born, I switched from the ER to physician health and cut back to 20 hours/ week in medicine.....full time in writing

then, 5 years ago, i was told that unless I were willing to write a book a year, i could no longer be paid for my efforts -- the industry had changed.......i became emeritas at my medical job and dropped to 10 hours-15 hours a week and have now written 4 books in four years.....my immediate goal is to finish the 3 books on my contract and to decide where my career should go next.....

i believe i will develop a continuing character and go from there......i love writing and do not anticipate stopping anytime soon.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Michael-Palmer wrote:

well, i wish my career were relatively short . . . it has been if you consider 32 years short......i started my very first book (never published) in 1977--thanksgiving to be exact.....got an agent in the winer of 1979, and sold my first book (the sisterhood) as an outline in early 1980......it was published in 1982 after 5 drafts......for a long time i worked full time as an ER doc and full time as an author, publishing a book every 2-3 years......in 1990, when i last child was born, I switched from the ER to physician health and cut back to 20 hours/ week in medicine.....full time in writing

then, 5 years ago, i was told that unless I were willing to write a book a year, i could no longer be paid for my efforts -- the industry had changed.......i became emeritas at my medical job and dropped to 10 hours-15 hours a week and have now written 4 books in four years.....my immediate goal is to finish the 3 books on my contract and to decide where my career should go next.....

i believe i will develop a continuing character and go from there......i love writing and do not anticipate stopping anytime soon.

How time flies when we're having fun! It doesn't seem like 1982 was all that long ago, but now that you mention it, I guess it has been awhile. Sorry about that!

Do you think that first book will ever see the light of day? Will you revise it someday?

I'm surprised that you were told that so bluntly - a book a year, or else -- even when you had a proven track record? That must have been unpleasant medicine for you to take!

Author
Michael-Palmer
0 Kudos

1) What of the five senses do you tap into most when you're writing?

almost everything i write i visualize.....i see scenes, i see faces, i see movement......sometimes, i actually get up and do movements right here behind my desk chair.....

2) Which authors are your comfort reads?

one of he only sad aspects of being a successful writer is that every minute i am awake, there is writing to be done......i used to read non-stop, but now if there's a choice, i must choose to get a few more sentences done.....i always have two books in my active reading pile--one that i want to read (lee child, james lee burke, tess gerritsen, or the "hot" current title like girl with the dragon tattoo or a piece of non-fiction......and also an advance readers copy i am reading for an endorsement. As often as not i end up asleep with the book on my chest. 

3) What were the mystery books you read as a child or teenager?

i read every hardy boys mystery i could find, plus lots of rudyard kipling and come classics like call of the wild and two years before the mast......

4) Do you watch mystery TV shows and/or movies? If so, which are your favorites?

i never watch TV shows except sports and anything my son wants to watch with me--like south park and the simpsons.....otherwise it's sports (and only when i'm up on the treadmill)......i have never seen house, ER, or any of the medical shows......never even one episode of seinfeld.....if i'm going to watch a TV show, i would rather be writing.......or reading

5) If you were casting THE LAST SURGEON, who would you choose for the lead roles?

nick -- liam neeson........jillian -- sandra bullock .....koller -- john malkovitch

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Hi Michael..Its been great reading all your posts and getting to know you..Its fascinating to me,how your life has changed and all the decisions you have made...I agree with Becke about getting in touch with Paul,our readership is vast Our FirstLook Club has too date and Paul can back me up on this ,put 4 Authors on The NewYorkTimes besteller list.All new authors,2 YA and 2 Adult novels.It would be great for your son..I am also a New Englander by choice,not birth.Do you visit this area of the world?I live in Vermont,but the Cape,and just about any area of New England has always been special for me,Enjoy...Susan....Have you had Book Events in any areas.in New England?

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Hi Michael, I want to agree with VTC and say I've really enjoyed reading and getting to know a little more about you. And also the First Look idea she gave. I would love to dissect a new book with such a great author as yourself.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Vermontcozy wrote:

Hi Michael..Its been great reading all your posts and getting to know you..Its fascinating to me,how your life has changed and all the decisions you have made...I agree with Becke about getting in touch with Paul,our readership is vast Our FirstLook Club has too date and Paul can back me up on this ,put 4 Authors on The NewYorkTimes besteller list.All new authors,2 YA and 2 Adult novels.It would be great for your son..I am also a New Englander by choice,not birth.Do you visit this area of the world?I live in Vermont,but the Cape,and just about any area of New England has always been special for me,Enjoy...Susan....Have you had Book Events in any areas.in New England?

Just to clarify, I meant Paul Goat Allen, the moderator, but yes - Paul Hochman from B&N would be a good person for Michael to know, also.

I have no idea how they select the First Look books; weren't most of them the first book by those authors, though? Susan, you can advise on those better than I can.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

Hi Michael, I want to agree with VTC and say I've really enjoyed reading and getting to know a little more about you. And also the First Look idea she gave. I would love to dissect a new book with such a great author as yourself.

Wait till you read THE LAST SURGEON - you're definitely going to want to talk about it more!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Wow, I love your cast: Liam Neeson, Sandra Bullock and - yes!! - John Malkovich. I could totally see this as a movie, albeit a freaking scary one, especially with John Malkovich playing Koller's part.

I never thought of it while I was reading the book (which speaks for itself), but my kids both had a teacher named Mr. Koller. I run into him occasionally - now I'll never be able to speak his name without a shudder!!

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Thank you Deb..We do have some  impact on the sales of a Novel.Of course I had no idea,until I saw some of the books that we read,reviewed,blogged about,bought as gifts on NYTimes Lists.........Michael...We just finished a book on FirstLook.. by Paul Doiron "The Poacher's Son" set in Maine..He is editor-in-chief of "Down East:The Magazine of Maine..Read some the reviews,but I think you would enjoy the Book.. Tess Gerritsen,gave it a very Good review...I have written down all your Books,and will decide on which one to start with..Suggestions are welcome...  :  )Thanks, Susan Vtc

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Author
Michael-Palmer
0 Kudos

my first book has been published in 5 or 6 countries that are not a picky as my american publishers......it is a thriller about a doctor, but not a "medical thriller" in the sense of the rest of mine......

Author
Michael-Palmer
0 Kudos

the movie business is very tricky......many great thriller writers like lee child and jon kellerman have never had a film made of their books......others like dennis lehane have had a number.....

i consider myself fortunate to have had extreme measures.......if it happens again i will be one happy guy.......but i'm not silly enough to get all bent out of shape if it doesn't happen.....

Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
0 Kudos

Michael,

I see on your website that you and Tess Gerritsen review each others work.

My question is how would you compare how each of you as authors use medical aspects in your books. I have read a few of Tess's books. Just curious on the comparison. I see another one of hers is creeping to the top of my TBR pile of books.

And yes I am adding yours to my pile too.

Thanks Luanne

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Michael-Palmer wrote:

my first book has been published in 5 or 6 countries that are not a picky as my american publishers......it is a thriller about a doctor, but not a "medical thriller" in the sense of the rest of mine......

What a great idea! Their gain is our loss, though.

Author
Michael-Palmer
0 Kudos

hey, wait......tess and i are great friends and work for the same agency (and agent) in NYC, and are about to teach our 11th annual fiction writing for doctors course (see www.SEAK.com), and we certainly read one another's books, BUT we never review one another's books except the time i asked tess for a blurb on the fifth vial (long story) and she graciously complied......

she is an incredibly fine person, married to a great guy who, like terry (tess' real name) is a physician.....

her big news is the upcoming series rizzoli, staring angie harmon......good thing i'm incapable of professional jealousy......well, maybe just a smidge....