Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
mary_kennedy
0 Kudos

Re: MYSTERY SCENE MAGAZINE rocks B&N's Mystery this week!

Loved Val's thoughts on the insenstive reader who told her he "doesn't read books by women." Horrors. Sad to think he was in the industry. I wonder how many of us have heard similar remarks?

Author
mary_kennedy
0 Kudos

Very interesting article by Lee Goldberg on the prevalence of "CSI's" in new crime shows. I was surprised to see the police psychologist on Law and Order, B.D. Wong, administering a polygraph. I've worked as a forensic psychologist, and this would never happen.  

Author
mary_kennedy
0 Kudos

Elizabeth, I like the real-life quote from Al Capone. "You can get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun, than you can with a kind word alone." Mary Kennedy, The Talk Radio Mysteries www.marykennedy.net      

Author
mary_kennedy
0 Kudos

Becke, I love this Agatha Christie quote. There was a post (ages ago, I had trouble logging in) about who would be considered a "contemporary" Agatha Christie. I would definitely say Carolyn Hart, I reviewed a few of her books for The Examiner. She has a huge following and is working on two "traditional" mystery series at once. Hope all is well on your adventures, wish I could join you!  

Author
mary_kennedy
0 Kudos

Re: It's Edgar Week in New York!

Kate, the Dorothy Lange photo of the San Francisco grocery store owned by Japanese-Americans is so sad, and so powerful.  Mary Kennedy, The Talk Radio Mysteries

Author
mary_kennedy
0 Kudos

Becke, I know you are having a terrific time at RT, and we're looking forward to hearing all about it when you get back.

Frequent Contributor
Kate_Mystery_Scene
0 Kudos

Dorothea Lange photo in Mystery Scene

Hi Mary,

One of my favorite tasks at Mystery Scene is finding illustrations for various articles. That particular photo was part of the WPA projects of the 1930s-early 40s.

Kate

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Just stopping in to say a quick "hi" - I hung out with Rosemary Harris last night and attended a workshop moderated by Judi McCoy today. I think there are other mystery authors here, too, even though it is Romantic Times. Thanks so much to all of you at Mystery Scene for making this week so interesting for all our participants!

Author
LJSellers
0 Kudos

I've been enjoying the magazine very much. Loved the feature on Lisa Lutz. The Spellman Files just moved to the top of my TBR list.

L.J. Sellers

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Secrets to Die For 

Coming in August!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

A huge thank you to Kate Stine and the staff of Mystery Scene magazine for visiting during my absence! 

Mystery Scene Magazine

Frequent Contributor
Kate_Mystery_Scene
0 Kudos

Thanks Becke,  all of us at Mystery Scene enjoyed the opportunity to visit!

Hope you had a great time at Romantic Times and that we'll see you out and about in the "mystery world."

Best,

kate

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Summer Fun
Exclusive online summer reviews, Susan Wittig Albert on Reading, Orient Express Twitter event, and more.

Girl who Played with Fire

The Swedish film based on Stieg Larsson's worldwide bestseller opens in the US on July 9th.

Hope you are all enjoying the summer issue of Mystery Scene featuring Michael Koryta and his latest book, So Cold the River; historical mystery novelist  Stefanie Pintoff; cozy queen Carolyn HartScott Turow and his sequel to Presumed Innocent; and Clifford B. Hicks, creator of kid detective Alvin Fernaldand his Magnificent Brain. 

And there's a lot more going on this summer. Look for web exclusive original articles and reviews of July and August books at the MS Website.  The MS Blog will will be updated several times a week, including a film review of The Girl Who Played with Fire. In the meantime, we hope you enjoy this month's "Writers on Reading" essay from author Susan Wittig Albert, who reflects on how Eudora Welty inspired her.
Sincerely,
Kate Stine
Editor-in-Chief 
Read Anything Good Lately?
Email us your fave raves for the "Our Readers Recommend" feature and be entered to win a free book! 

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Upcoming MS Web Exclusive Reviews

Get the latest on July releases atwww.MysterySceneMag.com

The Glass RainbowThe WhisperersJack Getze ad

Queen of the NightThe Grave GourmetHot ShotDamaged

Live to Tell

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Blood on the Stage adIntent to Sell by J MarksNew! Third Edition
Int
ent to Sell
Marketing the Genre Novel
by Jeffrey Marks

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Mystery! Twitter event

All Aboard!

Hercule Poirot: Murder on the Orient Express
Sunday, July 11,  on PBS

Join Mystery Scene for a special Twitter event 
hosted by MASTERPIECE Mystery!

Sunday, July 11, 9-11 p.m. EST
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Writers on Reading: Susan Wittig Albert 
Pondering the wit and insight of Eudora Welty

Eudora Welty's The Ponder Heart

When I'm writing a period book, I tend to read books that were written in the period. Currently, I'm writing the second book in a new series set in the South during the Depression: The Darling Dahlias. So I'm rereading the stories and novels ofEudora Welty, whose work I first encountered when I was a young girl, dreaming the impossible dream of becoming a writer. I've read all of Welty's work, but my favorite has to be The Ponder Heart

The story is a monologue, the long-winded complaint of Edna Earle Ponder, who owns a hotel in a small Mississippi town and tells her story to a traveling salesman. The tale is about Edna Earle's dotty Uncle Dan, a rich man who gives his stuff away with the joyful impetuosity of a child giving away his toys--and ends up being charged with murder. We piece together a crazy-quilt plot, with its multiple layers of irony and foolishness, as the bossy and self-important Edna Earle tells her tale, rambling on and on in a wildly funny scramble of subtle hints, sly innuendo, opinion, digressions, and details that have nothing to do with the story and everything to do with the world of people, place, and meaning that Welty is creating for us. Edna Earle's voice is pitch-perfect and her language is ordinary Southern talk, tuned to a fine edge and jam-crammed with Southern details. Rings in my ear, holds me to the page. What a gift!

Susan Wittig Albert's
 latest Susan Wittig Albert The Darling Dahlias and the Cucumber TreeThe Darling Dahlias and the Cucumber Tree (Berkley Hardcover, July 2010).
www.susanalbert.com 
www.darlingdahlias.com

"Writers on Reading" is a special ongoing Mystery Sceneseries available as a first look exclusive to our newsletter subscribers.