Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

March Feature: Homicide in Hardcover by Kate Carlisle

I'm very excited to have TWO visiting authors this month!  Kate Carlisle is a new author who is already getting a lot of attention for her new release, which has already hit the New York Times Best Seller list: 

Homicide in Hardcover   

Be sure to check out Kate's website: 

http://www.katecarlisle.com/kate.php

Here's what Kate says about this book on her website:

HOMICIDE IN HARDCOVER 
Homicide in HardcoverMurder is always a bestseller. 

Brooklyn Wainwright is a skilled surgeon. Sure, her patients might smell like mold and have spines made of leather, but no ailing book is going to die on her watch. The same can't be said of Abraham Karastovsky, Brooklyn's friend and former employer.

On the eve of a celebration for his latest book restoration, Brooklyn finds her mentor lying in a pool of his own blood. With his final breath Abraham leaves Brooklyn with a cryptic message, "Remember the Devil," and gives her a priceless—and supposedly cursed—copy of Goethe's Faust for safe-keeping. 

Brooklyn suddenly finds herself accused of murder and theft, thanks to Derek Stone, the humorless—and annoyingly attractive—British security agent who found her kneeling over the body. Now she has to read the clues left behind by her mentor if she is going to restore justice and save her own life...  

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: March Feature: Homicide in Hardcover by Kate Carlisle

I hope it's okay with Kate if I copy a post from her blog here (since some of you don't like to go to links):

It's the New York Times, baby!!!

I'm absolutely thrilled -- and stunned! -- to announce that HOMICIDE IN HARDCOVER hit the New York Times Bestseller List!!! (#34 on the mass market paperback extended list for March 1st, 2009!)

I received the call from my agent Christina earlier this week while I was at the mall. She asked if I was sitting down and, well, no, I wasn't. But as soon as she told me the news, I immediately found a bench and sat. My knees were weak and in danger of giving out. When I was finished screaming and laughing with her, I hung up the phone, looked up -- and saw a See's Candy shop right in front of me. Talk about good luck!

So, thank you to everybody who went out and bought HIH. Thank you to the booksellers and librarians and friends and family and all my online friends and family for buying the book and talking up HIH. Somehow, all your lovely talk and interest and purchases generated enough sales to land my little debut mystery on the NYT list! How does that happen??? It's like lightning striking! It's crazy. And wonderful.

And check out these photos that PJ took at the Barnes & Noble in Huntersville, North Carolina. There's my book, third row down, next to Rosemary Harris's PUSHING UP DAISIES, which is next up on my TBR pile. I'm thrilled and honored to be appearing with Rosemary Friday night, February 27, at Mysterious Galaxy Books in San Diego, California.

And just above my book is Diane Emley's CUT TO THE QUICK, the third in her Nan Vining series. I'd say I'm in good company, wouldn't you? :-)

And isn't PJ gorgeous? (I'm coveting that cute jacket of hers!) She also wrote a fantastic review of HIH for RNTV.com. You can read it here. Thanks, PJ!

And thank you, all! I'm so grateful. Shocked, stunned, thrilled and grateful!

Cheers! 

becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

WELCOME TO KATE CARLISLE, NEW YORK TIMES BEST SELLING AUTHOR! 

A note to our board participants:  I've advised Kate and Karen that I'm not going to have regular access to a computer this week.  I'll check in as often as I can, but I'm going to be traveling and my desktop can't come along for the ride.  I'm going to go ahead and post these introductions a little early.  I hope you will all stop by on Monday to give these charming ladies a rousing welcome!

Kate - Welcome to the BN.com Mystery Book Club!  As I've explained, this is less of a traditional book study group and more of a laid back place where people can talk about what they're reading, who their favorite authors are and where they can share any recommendations with us.  

In this case, you and Karen are covering all three of those topics for me:  I'm reading both of your books, Karen is already one of my favorite authors and I can tell the Bibliophile series is going to put you on my favorite author list, too.  And having you here is a recommendation, all by itself!  Clearly, I'm not the only one who was intrigued by the premise of Homicide in Hardcover, since it just made the NYT best seller list (congrats again!).  I knew from the moment I read the cover blurb that it was a book I'd have to read. 

Do you see this as a continuing series, or will there be a predetermined number of books (three seems to be a common number)?  I love the whole concept of a murder connected to antiquarian books, and the heroine's name -- Brooklyn -- grabbed me, too.  

What came first:  Brooklyn or the books?  Did you start with a mental image of a heroine and work the story around her?  Or did you come up with the idea of a book-related murder and take it from there?  Also, I love the title -- was that your idea?  And (sorry to keep throwing questions at you), what made you decide to write a series, rather than an individual book?  Was that your plan from the first?

Please tell us a little bit about yourself and how you came into the world of writing.  (I've read enough interviews with you to know the answers, but you can tell the story better than I can!) 

I'm posting a lot of questions at once since I won't be here Monday morning.  Hopefully, by Monday night I'll be able to get to a computer.   Thanks so much for visiting with us, Kate!  I'm looking forward to joining you all as soon as I can!

Message Edited by becke_davis on 02-27-2009 05:59 PM
Distinguished Correspondent
biljounc63

Is it just me but it seems to be a oxymoron that Homicide in Hardcover is published only as a softcover! Sorry about this tongue in cheek post but I could not resist.
Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body.
~ Joseph Addison ~

"Reading lets you visit the world of another"
becke_davis
0 Kudos

biljounc63 wrote:
Is it just me but it seems to be a oxymoron that Homicide in Hardcover is published only as a softcover! Sorry about this tongue in cheek post but I could not resist.
I can't believe I never thought of that -- okay, definitely laurels for that one!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I'm excited to talk about this book!  I keep finding fun things in it: Birkenstocks, a mom named Becky, the commune parents-turned-vineyard owners, the hot British security guy -- love them all!  I'm fascinated with the book-binding information, too.  I got interested in bindings when I lived in England and discovered fore-edge books (books with hidden paintings on the gilt edges).  Some of them are true works of art!
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Kate - I have a question about your beautiful book cover.  Did you have input in selecting that cover, or did you know the artist?  Did you get to keep a copy of it?  It's definitely "suitable for framing!"
becke_davis
0 Kudos

I have a couple questions about your writing process:  are you a plotter or a pantser?  Are you the type of author who charts everything out (I have friends who keep spreadsheets, charts, file cards, post-it notes, even binders for each scene.  That much organization boggles my mind!

I've been thinking about muses lately, and I also got to thinking about athletes and their lucky routines.  I've heard some authors have lucky charms, of a kind, or certain routines that help them focus.  (Karen mentioned something about boas, but knowing what the Banditas are like, I'm thinking along the lines of cabana boys, in your case...)

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Kate - I'm posting a lot of questions here, but don't feel any need to answer them all at once.  Take your time!

Personally, I like books written in first person POV and have never had a problem reading them.  I know some people who seem to think it's a problem, though.  Did you make a conscious decision to write this book in first person, or did Brooklyn just come to you that way?

Also, maybe because she is written in first person, I find myself wondering how much of you is in Brooklyn.  How is she like you, and how is she different?  And if you say you share her love for chocolate caramel kisses and can eat them without effect, I'll probably cry!

Author
Kate_Carlisle

Hi Becke -- thanks so much for the lovely welcome! I'm thrilled to be here!

So, what came first, Brooklyn or the book? Brooklyn the protagonist came first. Because I've taken bookbinding classes and am fascinated by old books, I loved the idea of a bookbinder solving crimes related to whatever rare book she was working on. But as far as the plot for HOMICIDE IN HARDCOVER is concerned, as soon as I settled on the book itself, a rare, supposedly cursed copy of Goethe's FAUST, the story began to reveal itself. So I guess you could say, the series started with Brooklyn, but HIH started with the book!

The title actually came about through a brainstorming session with my agents. We all liked HOMICIDE IN HARDCOVER and once NAL bought the series, they kept that title--even though it was always planned to come out as a paperback original! LOL...believe me, I've gotten very used to saying "My book is HOMICIDE IN HARDCOVER ... a paperback original!"

Kate Carlisle
The Bibliophile Mysteries
Author
Kate_Carlisle

You asked whether I'd planned to write HOMICIDE IN HARDCOVER (HIH) as a series or an individual book, and my answer is--I always planned it as a series. As a reader, I love series! I can't wait until the next book comes out so I can visit with these people I know and enjoy. A friend of mine who loves mystery series says that she loves those people more than she loves her own family! LOL...I might not go that far but I do get involved in their lives and wonder what's happening with them--so when the next book comes out, I rush right out and buy it!

I find I'm enjoying my own characters a lot, too. I'm rushing toward a deadline on book two, but I'm already itching to get started on book three because I want to get back to see what some of my people have been up to! Does that sound vaguely, um, psycho??? LOL

What do others think about this idea? Does everybody love series books?

Kate Carlisle
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Kate - I finished the book and am excited to read the next in this series.  I'm assuming Gabriel will return, but I really like Derek!  I'm assuming the next book takes place in Edinburgh?  Can you give us any hints about what is to come?  Do you have a projected release date for the next book?  (Sorry to keep bombarding you with questions -- take your time in responding.)
Author
Kate_Carlisle

LOL biljounc63! I mentioned this very point in my answer to Becke! It's something I've had to explain a lot! I guess the publishers didn't mind keeping the title since my protagonist is a bookbinder, so she's always working with hardcover books. Still, it's been lots of fun trying to explain it to folks. :-)

Oh, and once I was at a bookstore and asked them to look up HOMICIDE IN HARDCOVER in their database to see if it was in stock. The clerk checked the computer and said, "We have HOMICIDE but it's not in hardcover." sigh. LOL

Kate Carlisle
becke_davis
0 Kudos

"Oh, and once I was at a bookstore and asked them to look up HOMICIDE IN HARDCOVER in their database to see if it was in stock. The clerk checked the computer and said, "We have HOMICIDE but it's not in hardcover." sigh. LOL"

This story is a classic! 

Author
Annacampbell

Hey, Miss Kate, great to see you here! Becke hosted me for a fun visit over on the romance board when Tempt the Devil came out in January. You'll have a wonderful time here - she's wonderful at passing out the hors d'oeuvres and making sure your glass is filled.

Firstly, huge congratulations on the New York Times. I'm still dancing around about that - for a debut author, that's absolutely amazing. Although not for someone of your obvious talent.

I must say I too want homicide in hardcover to be in HARDCOVER!!! 

I wondered if you'd share with us who are your writing inspirations? What books do you turn to when you want to wake the mojo? 

www.annacampbell.info
romancebandits.blogspot.com

Learn more about Tempt the Devil.
Frequent Contributor
AuntyCindy

[ Edited ]

Another Bandita poppin by to say hello to THE NYTimes Bestselling Author!!!

WOW! Can't tell you how very proud we all are of you, Kate! Talk about thrilling!

And, BIG HELLO to our Bandita Buddy Becke! Thank you for inviting me to be here on the romance board on my very favorite holiday, St. Paddy's Day. Hope everyone will drop by and say hi.

AC

www.LoucindaMcgary.com

Message Edited by AuntyCindy on 03-03-2009 01:24 AM
Author
Kate_Carlisle

Hey Becke, I'd love to find out more about those hidden paintings you found in books while you lived in England. They sound fascinating! I'm glad you liked all the fun stuff in the book, especially the hot British guy. I kinda like him, too :-) 
Kate Carlisle
Author
Kate_Carlisle

Thanks for asking about the cover, Becke! I love it, too. I was surprised and pleased when my editor asked if there were any particular styles of bookcovers I liked and whether I had any photos I'd like her to show the art department. I sent her one picture of a beautiful library in Ireland with rays of sunlight streaming through a window. The art department took that and added their own touches based on my synopsis. I'm probably prejudiced but I think they did a fantastic job!

My DH had a poster made of the cover and that's going on the wall!

Kate Carlisle
Author
Kate_Carlisle

Hey Anna, hello! Bandita in the house! Help yourself to a poopoo platter, darling! Grab a margarita--it's a party!!

Thanks so much for the congrats! I admit I've been doing quite a bit of dancing myself lately! :-)

Inpiration? Well, I seem to find it in lots of different genres. I love my old favorites, JD Robb and Nora Roberts, Janet Evanovich, SEP, Julie Garwood, Michael Connolly, Robert Crais, Nancy Martin, Anna Campbell--hey! It's true, I get inspired reading good genre fiction. With the Bibliophile Mysteries, I build the plot around a particular book, a classic of literature or philosophy or poetry, so I've been doing a lot of reading along those lines lately, too. I had to re-read FAUST to write HIH, and for book two I've been reading lots of Robert Burns' poetry and Sir Walter Scott. They inspire me to murder! :-)

I like anything that's well written, including the occasional snarky blog. :-) I re-read Donald Maass's workbook regularly. Very practical stuff.

Kate Carlisle