Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis

May at the Mystery Book Club - International Crime

As some of you know, I've been agonizing over the best way to feature "international" mysteries - that is, mysteries set in exotic locales.

I ran into several problems. First, many books are set in multiple places, hopping all over the globe. Some are set partly in the U.S. and partly in other countries. This made it difficult when I tried to split up authors/books by country or continent.

Also, I'll be on the road part of the month which ruled out having a repeat of the February Month of Romantic Suspense format, where we had a different author visiting each day.

So, this is what I've come up with. I've invited four authors to visit, each of whom has written at least one book set in an exotic location. I haven't had confirmations from everyone yet, but I've invited:

LEIGHTON GAGE

JAMES ROLLINS

ERIN HART

JO NESBO

In addition, I'll have a separate thread where you can all post your own recommendations for "international" books. In some cases, the books may be difficult to find or the authors may have died. I still want to feature those books, especially if they are favorites of yours.

We'll do this again, and I'll keep adding to the list. Be sure to let me know if you find an author you'd like me to invite for the next round. I hope you'll join us in May!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: May at the Mystery Book Club - International Crime

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
0 Kudos

I hope Erin can drop by to say Hello.

I love her books.

Four authors will be a busy month.

I will find out more on 3 authors I don't know a lot about.

Looks like 4 good choices.

Luanne

becke_davis wrote:

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I decided not to pick a particular country - or continent, for that matter - because so many books jump from place to place. And James Rollins, for instance, has books set in all kinds of exotic places.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Running from the Devil Change of plans - James Rollins is on a deadline so we will postpone his visit until I feature thrillers and suspense novels later in the year.

Instead, we'll have a visit from another author I think you'll be interested to meet: Jamie Freveletti. I wasn't familiar with her books, but I'm very glad to have discovered them! (I've posted Running from the Devil in hardback and paperback.)

Running from the Devil

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Cool Becke thanks, they all look great and you know how I feel about Ms. Hart.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I haven't heard back definitely from Erin Hart or Jo Nesbo, but I'll feature their books even if they can't visit.

And you all are encouraged to recommend your own "international" favorites - I'll have a special thread for that.

New User
ZorinaVA
0 Kudos

Can we post our recommendations here? It just happens that mysteries set in exotic locales are my favorites, thanks for choosing this topic. I have two brand new titles I recommend: "In All My Sad Dreaming" by John Caulfied, a mystery set in South Africa. "Desert of the Mind" by R.B. Clague, a paranormal mystery set in the Australian desert. Both got great reviews.

Zorina

Desert of the Mind 

In All My Sad Dreaming  

dhaupt
0 Kudos

ZorinaVA wrote:

Can we post our recommendations here? It just happens that mysteries set in exotic locales are my favorites, thanks for choosing this topic. I have two brand new titles I recommend: "In All My Sad Dreaming" by John Caulfied, a mystery set in South Africa. "Desert of the Mind" by R.B. Clague, a paranormal mystery set in the Australian desert. Both got great reviews.

Zorina

Desert of the Mind 

In All My Sad Dreaming  

Ooh those both look good. Thanks

And welcome to the club Zorina.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Hi Zorina - yes, please do add your recommendations! I'll have a separate thread where you all can list your favorites in May. This will be a recurring feature, so keep those ideas coming!

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Gosh..My  Anxiety lessens..Whatever is chosen,whatever we read..I am in..My Mind Thanks you...Suze..Mirroring pen Some new Authors for me..Excellent..,,

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Two visits are confirmed: 

Leighton Gage will visit the week of May 3

Jamie Freveletti will visit the week of May 18

Still working on the others!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Make that three - Erin Hart is in!! I will post her week shortly - stand by, I know a lot of you were waiting with bated breath for her response.

Author
Erin_Hart
0 Kudos

Thanks for the invitation, Becke! Just checking to make sure I can post messages here...

All the best,

Erin Hart

mail@erinhart.com

FALSE MERMAID / Scribner, March 2010 - Selected by booksellers as an Indie Next Notable
LAKE OF SORROWS / Scribner & Pocket Books, Minnesota Book Award Finalist
HAUNTED GROUND / Scribner & Pocket Books, Agatha and Anthony Award nominee
http://www.erinhart.com
http://erinhartbooks.blogspot.com/

bogwriter
Erin Hart
Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
0 Kudos

Erin,

I am so glad you will be with us.

I am from Minnesota and have went to your events.

I just attended an event recently in the Minneapolis area for False Mermaids.

Can't wait for the discussion.

Welcome to our little world here.

Luanne

becke_davis
0 Kudos

bogwriter wrote:

Thanks for the invitation, Becke! Just checking to make sure I can post messages here...

All the best,

Erin Hart

mail@erinhart.com

FALSE MERMAID / Scribner, March 2010 - Selected by booksellers as an Indie Next Notable
LAKE OF SORROWS / Scribner & Pocket Books, Minnesota Book Award Finalist
HAUNTED GROUND / Scribner & Pocket Books, Agatha and Anthony Award nominee
http://erinhartbooks.blogspot.com/

Hi Erin - I'm glad you were able to sign in. I just put in a request to get you an "author" tag.

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

I got some of these books at the library yesterday.

I will be reading Buried Strangers by Leighton Gage this week since he will be here next week.

I also got a copy of Nemesis by Jo Nesbo, Haunted Ground by Erin Hart and Judas Strain by James Rollins.

Can't wait for the discussions!

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt