becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Meet Canadian Author Cheryl Kaye Tardif

Cheryl - I'm not that picky a reader, except that I read so many authors and so many books in total that a lot of books I buy stay in my TBR pile for pretty long, despite my best intentions to read them right away. I just can't keep up with them all.

I buy book in this order:

1) Because I know and/or like the author

2) Because the back cover blurb sounds interesting

3) Because a quick scan of the first pages hook me

4) Because someone here (or elsewhere) has recommended it to me

5) Because I've heard so much buzz about the book, I'm curious about it

6) The cover comes last, BUT an interesting cover may make me pick up a book, and if I like the back cover blurb and/or opening page, I could end up buying it.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I should add that I buy mass market paperbacks as impulse buys sometimes even if I know nothing about them. I think more carefully before investing in a trade paperback. And I will think seriously before investing in a hardcover. If it's an author I love and I don't want to wait for the paperback edition, I might buy it (I just bought Harlan Coben's new book in hardcover; ditto Alafair Burke's new one. And I'll probably end up buying Lee Child's new one in hardcover, too. 

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

CherylKayeTardif wrote:

TiggerBear, thank you so much for your insights into how you select books in a store. And I hear you about covers and continuity issues.

Like you I tend to shop for authors I already know (my favorites) and ones recommended to me. After that I look at cover design and book title. If the cover is well done and the title grabs me, it doesn't matter who the author is. I'll pick it up and flip it over.

It's the back cover text (or inside excerpt page if no back cover text) that determines whether I'll buy it at this point. The text better grab my attention in the first 3 sentences or I put it down. And it better be well written and edited. I can't believe how many times I read back text that makes me cringe at the blatant errors.

I am, admittedly, a very picky reader. :-)

And I promise if I have a cover where my hero has a knife strapped to his/her leg, I'll make sure it's on properly. Would hate for her/him to stab own toe. lol

Have a great weekend.

Oh you're welcome, happy to. For me it not necessarily errors in the blurb. But a feeling I've read this a hundred times already or an instant realization of the majority of the plot, that turns off my interest. I wouldn't call myself picky, more heavily read and a development of certain expectations. (shrug) Selective maybe.

(chuckle) Thanks You too!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: May is the Month of International Crime - Favorites?

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Cheryl, thanks so much for joining us!

welcome Glitter graphics

becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Cheryl - What part of Canada do you live in? Do you think Canadian mystery authors are given a fair shake in the Lower 50?

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Here's Cheryl's official photo:

Cheryl_2007_best_medium.jpg
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Cheryl - I think there must be a secret society of red or auburn haired mystery and romantic suspense authors. Makes me feel old, since my hair was red once upon a time!

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Funny you should say that, becke. Kerry Greenwood, the author of the Phryne Fisher mystery series,  also has red hair. I  do like the idea of a secret society of auburn-. tressed authors! :smileyvery-happy: Cheryl, you are in good company! Nice photo, by the way.

Fictionally, Kate Sheridan of the Robin Paige series of mysteries has auburn hair, and if my memory serves me correctly, Jacqueline Kirby in the  Elizabeth Peters series is described as having copper colored hair.
" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Fricka and Cheryl - I THOUGHT I had successfully moved these posts to a new thread, but it looks as if I only partially succeeded. I'll have to try again!

YAY!!! Fixed it. I think.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Meet Cheryl Kaye Tardif, Canadian Author - Month of International Crime

Cheryl - Thank you for winding up our Month of International Crime! You're welcome to continue visiting with us as long as you want. This is "your" thread now, and you can come back and update it any time. All you have to do to bring it back to the front of the board is to do a search and then post a comment.

Come back and tell us if you have news of any kind - a new release, an award nomination, a book signing at Barnes & Noble, or anything else!

It was a pleasure to meet you, and I hope we'll see more of you here!

Author
CherylKayeTardif
0 Kudos

Becke, Tigger and Fricka, thanks for making me feel so welcome here.

To answer your questions, Becke, I was born in Vancouver, BC, but moved around a lot as a child (reflective in my inspirational novel Whale Song, by the way) as my Dad was in the Canadian Armed Forces. I married a military man and moved around a bit with him, then he got out and we moved back to BC. But that only lasted a year.

We've been in Edmonton, Alberta, ever since. Edmonton's been very good for us. The economy has always been better here and more affordable. We're now building our second house. I'm blogging about it at http://www.cherylktardif.blogspot.com. Just search for Coventry and you'll find my posts and pics. (Which reminds me...I'm overdue; must go take pics of it and do an update.) We should be moved in in September.

So that answers where in Canada I live.

As for Canadian mystery/suspense authors getting recognition, we do have a strong core group of authors and Crime Writers of Canada to help us out, but sometimes I think we kind of get the shaft. When most foreigners think of Canadian fiction, they tend to think of Anne of Green Gables, Margaret Atwood and dreary east coast dramas that leave you feeling sticky with humidity or depressed. :-)

That's NOT what I write. I write suspense thrillers with a touch of paranormal sometimes or a touch of sci-fi. I'm definitely a cross-genre author.

But one thing I do like doing in my work is using actual settings that exist--and ones in Canada.

Whale Song is mainly set in Wyoming, Bamfield, Vancouver and Victoria. Sarah, the main protagonist, leaves Wyoming to move to Canada. :-) I can so relate to her.

Divine Intervention is set in Vancouver, Victoria, Penticton and Kelowna...beautiful areas of BC. My team of psychic government agents are tracking down a deadly serial arsonist and meet some interesting people along the way.

Probably my most intriguing setting is for The River. It takes place along the Nahanni River, far north in the Northwets Territories. This area is often referred to as the Bermuda Triangle of Canada--in real life! People have gone missing. Some have been murdered. I found researching this area to be very eye-opening and just a bit frightening.

So yes, I think Canadian authors are sometimes short-changed by the public. But I (and many others) am trying to change that. :-)

Thank you all for sharing how you choose your books.

Cheers!

Cheryl Kaye Tardif
bestselling Canadian suspense author
http://www.cherylktardif.com

AKA... Cherish D'Angelo
romantic suspense author
http://www.cherishdangelo.com
Author
CherylKayeTardif
0 Kudos

Ok, I had to go back and read the last posts again...forgot what else I'd wanted to say. LOL

Red hair. Yes. I was born with hair that matched a shiny new penny. Copper top! Later, I developed the freckles to go with it. It was rough going in school but I survived.

My hair is a bit darker red now. It's magic! It changes color every few months (thanks to L'Image, Garnier and my hairstylist.) ;-)

But you're right. There does seem to be a fair amount of red-haired authors who write suspense and romance. It's a redheaded conspiracy...and I am their leader. We aim to take over the world.

Ok, sorry...too much caffeine.

Regarding new releases and awards etc...

I do have a new release coming up--it's my romantic suspense Lancelot's Lady (written under my pen name Cherish D'Angelo.) It'll be released as an ebook on September 27th.

Lancelot's Lady made the semifinals in the Dorchester Next Best Celler contest held at Textnovel.com. I was the only Canadian to make the semi-finals. My romantic suspense was #1 Most Popular (as voted by readers) for the first 3 months, and #3 Most Popular for last 3 months of the contest. Right now it's still in the top 5 Most Popular novels over all on Textnovel.

Lancelot's Lady was also recently awarded an Editor's Choice award from Textnovel.

I can't wait until September!

Now here's the new book trailer for Lancelot's Lady. I hope you all enjoy.

l

Cheryl Kaye Tardif

AKA... Cherish D'Angelo
romantic suspense author
Author
CherylKayeTardif
0 Kudos

Since there's crap on TV tonight (and tons of reruns), I'll spend some time adding my other trailers here.

The following trailers were created by Kelly Komm, fantasy author and book trailer creator extraordinaire...

THE RIVER (long trailer) - suspense thriller - ebook & paperback

THE RIVER (teaser)

DIVINE INTERVENTION - suspense thriller - ebook & paperback

And this trailer was created by my last publisher for my novel WHALE SONG:

Kelly is working on a new trailer for the 2010 ebook edition of WHALE SONG that was just released. The new trailer is going to be even better than the one above. :-)

I hope you all enjoy.

I'd be very interested to hear which of the videos above is your favorite.

Cheryl Kaye Tardif

AKA... Cherish D'Angelo
romantic suspense author
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Thanks for adding these, Cheryl - and good luck with Lancelot's Lady! I'll have to check that one out!

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

CherylKayeTardif wrote:

Since there's crap on TV tonight (and tons of reruns), I'll spend some time adding my other trailers here.

The following trailers were created by Kelly Komm, fantasy author and book trailer creator extraordinaire...

THE RIVER (teaser)

Kelly is working on a new trailer for the 2010 ebook edition of WHALE SONG that was just released. The new trailer is going to be even better than the one above. :-)

I hope you all enjoy.

I watched all your trailers! Actually I thought they were all very well done and they really make me want to read all your books. I will add you to my TBR list for sure. Good luck with Lancelot's Lady too! That one really looks interesting!

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

CherylKayeTardif wrote:

THE RIVER (teaser)

I hope you all enjoy.

1. has too many spoilers

2. much better, not convinced though

3. well it just sold me the book, if that tells you anything

4. way too busy

pen21
0 Kudos

Cheryl,

Thank you for joining us. I am a little late to the party. But I did read the threads. Becke gives us so much to choose from. I hope you stick around and post with us. That way we can keep up with your books.

pen21

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I'm posting a new comment here to move this thread to the front of the board. Lots of international authors here, all worth checking out!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

News from Cheryl:

Children of the Fog  

It’s been a while since I’ve emailed you about my books. I wanted to fill you in on everything that is happening.

First, the Chinese translation of WHALE SONG is well underway. I’ve seen the artwork for it and it’s awesome! Second, the Chinese translation of CHILDREN OF THE FOG is also underway, so I’m pretty stoked about that. Third, the Turkish translation of THE RIVER is now available. Check out GIZEMLI NEHIR. Smile

Cheryl Kaye Tardif