Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Meet Cheryl Kaye Tardif, Canadian Author - Month of International Crime

Fingers crossed, I'm going to try to move this from another thread.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Meet Canadian Author Cheryl Kaye Tardif

Well, the month isn't quite over and I've just made the acquaintance of a Canadian mystery author. Last year, Canadian author Wendy Roberts visited with us, but the country to our north has been sadly under-represented.

Let me introduce you to:

Cheryl Kaye Tardif
bestselling Canadian suspense author
www.cherylktardif.com 

She tells me she's up for anything but streaking and skydiving, and she's not ruling out the streaking. This tells me Cheryl is going to fit right in with you all!

Author
CherylKayeTardif
0 Kudos

Thank you for the warm welcome, Becke. I'll gladly represent your neighbors to the north.

As for streaking...didn't I mention I meant streaking...my hair? I'm up for that. :smileywink:

Thanks also for posting my book covers, though I must mention the Whale Song cover you have is for the now out of print paperback. However, it just came out in ebook (Kindle, Kobo, Smashwords.)

I'll see if I can figure out how to attach a cover here...it's truly beautiful, with art from my favorite US artist--David Miller.

Ok...Whale SongI think I did it!

Cheryl Kaye Tardif

Cheryl Kaye Tardif
http://www.cherylktardif.com

AKA... Cherish D'Angelo
romantic suspense author
http://www.cherishdangelo.com
Author
CherylKayeTardif
0 Kudos

Oh, and just in case anyone here is looking for beautiful art for their home, I own 3 David Miller prints, including Sanctuary (the one that's on the cover of Whale Song). You can check him out at http://www.mauiarts.com. He was very kind to license his work to me--twice--for this novel.

I'd be very interested to hear from other writers here who have found artwork to license.

I'd also be interested to hear from readers as to how important a book cover is to them and what they look for in a cover.

When walking into a bookstore, what grabs you first, the author's name or the design of the cover? How do you pick books to buy in a bookstore?

And how do you pick when buying books online?

P.S. I am always open to questions from readers. Feel free to email me through my website any time or ask here. I love talking about my passion of writing.

Cheryl Kaye Tardif

Cheryl Kaye Tardif

AKA... Cherish D'Angelo
romantic suspense author
becke_davis
0 Kudos

I'll post details about the books from your website:

Thirteen years ago, Sarah Richardson’s life was shattered after the tragic assisted suicide of her mother. The shocking tragedy left a grief-stricken teen-aged Sarah with partial amnesia.

Some things are easier to forget.

But now a familiar voice from her past sends Sarah, a talented mid-twenties ad exec, back to her past. A past that she had thought was long buried.

Some things are meant to be buried.

Torn by nightmares and visions of a yellow-eyed wolf, yet aided by the creatures of the Earth and by the killer whales that call to her in the night, Sarah must face her fears and uncover the truth―even if it destroys her.

Some things are meant to be remembered―at all cost.

Set in the wilds of Canada -- Vancouver Island, Victoria, Bamfield and Vancouver.

Whale Song is Dedicated to Jason Kaye, My Brother

A Special Note:

On January 15th, 2006, my youngest brother Jason celebrated his 28th birthday. At least with friends. My brother lived the life of a wanderer, caught up in the enticing addiction of alcohol. He was a good kid (and I always thought of him that way), with a good heart. But he was incapable of living a life of what we would consider normalcy. He couldn't hold a job or a relationship and he had cut himself off from our family in many ways. This perhaps is what hurts us most of all. We couldn't be there for him when he needed us.

Two weeks after his 28th birthday, my brother Jason Kaye was murdered in a back alley in Edmonton, not far from the Mustard Seed Church where he sometimes found respite. He was beaten and left to die alone. And that hurts me even more. I have placed flowers on the spot where police found him, and have to stop my thoughts and imagination from playing out what could have been his last moments. The place still haunts my thoughts, and I know I will visit it again this January. As his birthday and anniversary of his death approaches, I feel overwhelmed by emotions...by his loss.

On January 7th, 2007, a special memorial was held in downtown Edmonton to honor homeless or inner city people who have died this past year. I was there with my husband and daughter, representing all of my family who could not make it because of distance and jobs. And somehow I found the words to paint a picture of a brother who seemed so lost in many ways, but maybe knew far more happiness with his accepting friends downtown.

Jason is tied to me in many ways. He was the baby in my family when I was 14. I used to lie and tell people he was mine, regardless of the dirty looks I'd receive. I once helped him lose weight after he endured so much bullying and low self-esteem as a teenager...but in the end, he did it himself. He was a computer genius with a heart of gold, and he never seemed to hold a grudge. He never blamed our parents for his predicament; he just lived his life as best as he could.

My novel Whale Song was the only novel of mine he had ever read. And this ties him to me even closer.

On April 7th, 2007, with the launch of Whale Song, it will be an exciting and bittersweet moment for me, one that I would have given anything if he could have been part of. But he can't be. So instead, Whale Song is dedicated to my brother Jason. This story is as much a celebration of love, life and family as it is a poignant tale of family tragedy and grief. Whale Song touches upon a mother's death in a way that is sorrowful, hopeful and meaningful, and I believe it will be a book that will touch the hearts of many.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Whale Song

A haunting story of love, tragedy and transformation

that will change the way you view life...and death.

Read an excerpt here:http://www.whalesongbook.com/read-excerpt-from-whale-song/

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

1412062292TheRiverTraffordCover.jpg

Stem Cell Research, Cloning, And World Domination--With A Twist...

THE RIVER is set in the wilds of the northwest territories, in an area along the Nahanni River that many refer to as the Bermuda Triangle of Canada. For decades people have gone missing or have ended up dead. For real.

In THE RIVER a group of people travel to this unpredictable and deadly area in search of a missing father, only to discover that another world awaits them--one that is fraught with danger, deception, conspiracy, time travel, medical experimentation and murder. Who will make it out alive?

Seven years ago, Del Hawthorne’s father and three of his friends disappeared near the Nahanni River and were presumed dead. When one of the missing men stumbles onto the University grounds, alive but barely recognizable and aging before her eyes, Del is shocked. Especially when the man tells her something inconceivable. Her father is still alive!

Gathering a group of volunteers, Del travels to the Nahanni River to rescue her father. There, she finds a secret river that plunges her into a technologically advanced world of nanobots and painful serums. Del uncovers a conspiracy of unimaginable horror, a plot that threatens to destroy us all. Will humanity be sacrificed for the taste of eternal life?

At what point have we become...God?

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

DIVINE INTERVENTION BY CHERYL KAYE TARDIF

Someone Is Leaving A Blazing Trail Of Corpses Behind...But Who?

CFBI agent Jasmine McLellan is assigned a hot case―one that requires the psychic abilities of the PSI Division, a secret government agency located in the secluded town of Divine, BC.

Jasi leads a psychically gifted team in the hunt for a serial arsonist―a murderer who has already taken the lives of three innocent people. Unleashing her gift as a Pyro-Psychic, Jasi is compelled toward smoldering ashes and enters the killer's mind. A mind bent on destruction and revenge.

Jasi's team, consisting of Psychometric Empath and profiler, Ben Roberts, and Victim Empath, Natassia Prushenko, is led down a twisting path of dark, painful secrets. Brandon Walsh, the handsome, smooth-talking Chief of Arson Investigations joins them in a manhunt that takes them across British Columbia―from Vancouver to Kelowna, Penticton and Victoria.

While impatiently sifting through the clues that were left behind, Jasi and her team realize that there is more to the third victim than meets the eye. Perhaps not all of the victims were that innocent. The hunt intensifies when they learn that someone they know is next on the arsonist's list.

The case heats to the boiling point as Jasi steps out of the flames…and into the fire. And in the heat of early summer, Agent Jasi McLellan discovers that a murderer lies in wait…much closer than she imagined.

For fans of J.D. Robb or Kathy Reichs, and TV's Medium, Ghost Whisperer and CSI. Divine Intervention has attracted fans of Dan Brown's Deception Point, Angels and Demons and The Da Vinci Code, plus Beach Road by James Patterson and Peter de Jonge, according to stats on US giant Barnes &Noble

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

CherylKayeTardif wrote:

I'd also be interested to hear from readers as to how important a book cover is to them and what they look for in a cover.

Hmm 30% to not at all. A good cover will act as a look at me. A bad cover will anoy me as long as I own the book, and that's if I bought it. Different, detailed art, color pop, and if there's a weapon on the cover the artist better know their weapons. I just finished a book I almost did not buy. Because the artist has the naked blade poorly strapped to the characters leg, 3 running steps would mean a trip to the emergency room. And that really anoys me everytime I see it.:smileymad:

When walking into a bookstore, what grabs you first, the author's name or the design of the cover? How do you pick books to buy in a bookstore?

Unless I know the author, a good cover or an intriging title. However the back blurb can make me put it right back down. But once I like an author they could be all wrapped in brown paper and I'd still buy it.

And how do you pick when buying books online?

On sale for authors I'm unfamilar with, half off makes an experiament more palitable. Mostly though online I'm chasing after a fav authors new book, a series piece I'm missing, or I'm following a trusted recomendation.

P.S. I am always open to questions from readers. Feel free to email me through my website any time or ask here. I love talking about my passion of writing.

Cheryl Kaye Tardif

That's nice of you, thanks.:smileyhappy:

Author
CherylKayeTardif
0 Kudos

Of course you just had to find my blooper outtake video. HAHA...I guess it's good I'm first in line to laugh at myself.

I hereby christen thee, Becke Davis, Private Investigator.

Cheryl Kaye Tardif

AKA... Cherish D'Angelo
romantic suspense author
Author
CherylKayeTardif
0 Kudos

TiggerBear, thank you so much for your insights into how you select books in a store. And I hear you about covers and continuity issues.

Like you I tend to shop for authors I already know (my favorites) and ones recommended to me. After that I look at cover design and book title. If the cover is well done and the title grabs me, it doesn't matter who the author is. I'll pick it up and flip it over.

It's the back cover text (or inside excerpt page if no back cover text) that determines whether I'll buy it at this point. The text better grab my attention in the first 3 sentences or I put it down. And it better be well written and edited. I can't believe how many times I read back text that makes me cringe at the blatant errors.

I am, admittedly, a very picky reader. :-)

And I promise if I have a cover where my hero has a knife strapped to his/her leg, I'll make sure it's on properly. Would hate for her/him to stab own toe. lol

Have a great weekend.

Cheryl Kaye Tardif

AKA... Cherish D'Angelo
romantic suspense author
becke_davis
0 Kudos

CherylKayeTardif wrote:

Of course you just had to find my blooper outtake video. HAHA...I guess it's good I'm first in line to laugh at myself.

I hereby christen thee, Becke Davis, Private Investigator.

At least I was pretty sure it was you. I've dug up some video clips that were so old and obscure I wasn't sure I had the right person!