Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
tonyakappes
0 Kudos

Re: Meet the Publisher: THE PENGUIN GROUP

Love seeing all those cozies!!:smileywink:

becke_davis
0 Kudos

GothicroseAP wrote:

Dear Becke:

This is such a lovely idea, really, and I just enjoy the entire series of articles with information concerning The Penguin Group.

I am reading and rereading this because of all the valuable information here and finding out about the publisher through the videos. I also am checking out the blog site which I never knew about.

I also like their concern and efforts towards the libraries.

thank you so much for letting me know about this event.

This "officially" starts tomorrow so check back - I'm hoping we'll get a bunch of authors visiting, and hopefully some behind-the-scenes people, too. It's the first time I've tried this so I'm not at all sure what to expect.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

tonyakappes wrote:

Love seeing all those cozies!!:smileywink:

Tonya - Thanks so much for stopping by!

(Tonya was just interviewed here: http://anyadavis.wordpress.com/ )

I still enjoy reading cozies, but when I was at Bouchercon very few people admitted to writing them. I don't know what the politically correct term for them is now - "puzzlers," I guess. I still like "cozies!"

Author
MonicaBurns

Do I count since I write for Berkley and my royalty statements say Penguin??? :smileyvery-happy:

Happy 75 Penguin

Monica Burns | http://www.monicaburns.com
Pleasure Me - 03/11 - Berkley Sensation
Assassin's Heart - 09/10 - Berkley Sensation

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

MonicaBurns wrote:

Do I count since I write for Berkley and my royalty statements say Penguin??? :smileyvery-happy:

Happy 75 Penguin

(laughing) Yeah I'd say that counts. Welcome.

Author
mary_kennedy
0 Kudos

Very exciting promotion--what a wonderful way to promote literacy. I write The Talk Radio Mysterys for Penguin and am looking forward to reading more about this terrific idea!   

Author
LilaDare
0 Kudos

Hi B&N mystery lovers,

I'm Lila Dare and I write the Southern Beauty Shop mystery series.  The first one, Tressed to Kill, debuted this month. This is my first time here at the B&N mystery book club so I don't know quite what to expect.  I'm happy to talk about my series and/or answer questions folks might have about my writing process, the publishing process (from the writer's perspective) or anything similar.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Happy 75th Penguin One of my very favorite publishers who have the good sense to publish some of my very favorite authors.

Welcome to Penguin and welcome to the authors who they represent

Thanks Becke for putting this together for us

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Monica - that counts! 

Here's a link to Monica's latest release:

Assassin's Honor

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Reel Murder mary_kennedy wrote:

Very exciting promotion--what a wonderful way to promote literacy. I write The Talk Radio Mysterys for Penguin and am looking forward to reading more about this terrific idea!   

Hi Mary - thanks for joining us! I'll post links to your books.

Dead Air 

becke_davis
0 Kudos

LilaDare wrote:

Hi B&N mystery lovers,

I'm Lila Dare and I write the Southern Beauty Shop mystery series.  The first one, Tressed to Kill, debuted this month. This is my first time here at the B&N mystery book club so I don't know quite what to expect.  I'm happy to talk about my series and/or answer questions folks might have about my writing process, the publishing process (from the writer's perspective) or anything similar.

Hi Lila! Thanks so much for joining us today! I'll post a link for you.

Tressed to Kill 

becke_davis
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

Happy 75th Penguin One of my very favorite publishers who have the good sense to publish some of my very favorite authors.

Welcome to Penguin and welcome to the authors who they represent

Thanks Becke for putting this together for us

Happy Birthday, Debbie! Lots of books here for you to review!

Contributor
Lettera22
0 Kudos

Hey Becke!

This is fabulous! I looked through the Penguin site. Loved the gallery of the old book covers and ads. And scanning the Penguin imprints brought back a lot of memories from college when I worked in the student bookstore. I had all of the return policies for Prentice Hall, Dutton, Wiley & Sons, etc...memorized. I'm really looking forward to your publisher's blog series. Thank you so much for putting this all together. Now going back to have another look at the Penguin site.

Cheers!

Jen

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Lettera22 wrote:

Hey Becke!

This is fabulous! I looked through the Penguin site. Loved the gallery of the old book covers and ads. And scanning the Penguin imprints brought back a lot of memories from college when I worked in the student bookstore. I had all of the return policies for Prentice Hall, Dutton, Wiley & Sons, etc...memorized. I'm really looking forward to your publisher's blog series. Thank you so much for putting this all together. Now going back to have another look at the Penguin site.

Cheers!

Jen

Hi Jen! This is the first one I've done - the authors seem excited about it but the publicists et al seem nervous to come out from behind the scenes.

Inspired Wordsmith
basson_mommy12
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Lettera22 wrote:

Hey Becke!

Cheers!

Jen

Hi Jen! This is the first one I've done - the authors seem excited about it but the publicists et al seem nervous to come out from behind the scenes.

Aww, it's the same in the music biz.  Don't be shy!  We don't bite. 

"The Answer to the Great Question of ... Life, the Universe and Everything ... (is) 42." -- Douglas Adams' "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Ruth W.
Grand Rapids, MI
Author
mary_kennedy
0 Kudos

Thanks so much for posting the covers of DEAD AIR and REEL MURDER, the first two books in my Talk Radio Mysteries for Penguin. The cover gods were surely with me, because Penguin did a terrific job with the art work. They captured the fun, light-hearted feel of the books, and I'm thrilled with them. 

Author
mary_kennedy
0 Kudos

Can't wait to read Lila Dare's book, TRESSED TO KILL. Great cover. Interesting how Southern books are always popular. Lila, why did you decide to set your mystery series down south?  

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I love your covers, Mary - when does the next book come out?

I've invited publicists, etc. to come - I hope all of you Penguin authors pass the word on to the behind-the-scenes people you work with. I'd love to have people here who could answer questions about publishing.

Authors, if you'd like to put in your thoughts about the publishing industry, consider this thread your soap box!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I'm relaying some information from Katherine McCahill, Online Development Manager for the Penguin Group (USA):

In addition to the contest where a winner will receive a full set of the 75 books, we're counting down 75 Penguins until the anniversary (http://penguinbooks75.com/blog.html) .

We have a neat countdown widget so you can see the book of the day and we're encouraging people to go to join the group and comment on the titles in the countdown (http://community.penguin.com/_Penguin-Books-75/group/113108/150186.html).

Do you like a particular book? What do you think is coming?

becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Heidi Richter from the Penguin Group passed this on to me:

This June, Riverhead Trade will publish the new paperback edition of FALL by Colin McAdam—“a tense literary whodunit” (Publishers Weekly).

In FALL, Noel thinks he’s been allowed into the inner circle of this elite boarding school when he discovers his senior-year roommate is the handsome and popular Julius, a boy who cares only for the fleeting joys of teenage life: sneaking out to parties, playing pranks with friends, and most of all, spending the night with his girlfriend, Fall.

Always an outsider, Noel develops an unhealthy fascination with Julius, but his crush on Fall borders on dangerous obsession as he convinces himself of a profound connection that might not exist. Then, when Fall disappears close to winter break, Julius and Noel face their own inner desires, ushering the two boys out of the innocence of adolescence and into the startling realities of adulthood.