Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Meet the Publisher: THE PENGUIN GROUP

Want to cultivate your garden by building a worm bin?

Test your knowledge of celebrity trivia?

Learn how to make an adorable owl Softie?

Check out Get Creative with Penguin—the newest show on Penguin’s video and radio network featuring fun new projects with step-by-step instruction from Penguin authors and staff!

We’d love for you to link to Get Creative and post our videos on your blog using the embed codes provided on the website.

Please feel free to contact us with any questions you may have!

www.penguin.com/getcreative

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Erin Galloway of the Penguin Group recommends JoAnn Ross’s new Shelter Bay series, THE HOMECOMING (7/6/10). While many of you know JoAnn as a mystery author, she is spreading her wings with this book. I'll let Erin describe it:

"The series is set on the Oregon coast, where JoAnn and her husband grew up and where he proposed to her.  Each of the novels will focus on a military man who has returned from war and how each creates his own family.  JoAnn has really turned to her roots with this series, making each book a gentler, and very family-centric read.  As always, there is a mystery element running through the plot, but it isn’t the primary focus."

I'll see if JoAnn will stop in and talk to us about this.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

History:

1838: George Palmer Putnam and John Wiley form the book publishing and retail firm of Wiley & Putnam in New York.

1848: Wiley & Putnam's partnership is dissolved; Putnam's new firm, "G. Putnam Broadway," goes on to publish the works of Washington Irving, Edgar Allan Poe, Nathaniel Hawthorne, Samuel Taylor Coleridge and scores of other literary luminaries of the nineteenth century.

1866: G. Putnam Broadway becomes, "G. P. Putnam & Sons" when Putnam's three sons join their father's business.

1872: Upon George Palmer Putnam's death, his sons take over the business under its present name, G.P. Putnam's Sons.

1884: A young Theodore Roosevelt, enamoured of publishing, joins G.P. Putnam's Sons as a special partner. Over the years he wrote several works published by Putnam, including Naval War of 1812 and The Winning of the West.

1930: G.P. Putnam's Sons merges with the publishing firm of Minton, Balch & Co. Control of the company passes to Minton & Balch upon Palmer C. Putnam's retirement.

1935: Allen Lane publishes the first ten Penguin paperback books in London, filling the need for cheap editions of good-quality contemporary writing.

1936: Penguin Books Ltd. is formed. Within its first year the company sells over 3 million books.

1936: G. P. Putnam's Sons forms an alliance with London-based Coward-McCann (which became Coward, McCann & Geoghegan in 1971), which enables it to publish writers from both sides of the Atlantic, including Elizabeth Goudge, Siegfried Sassoon and, later John Le Carré.

1941: Puffin Books, a children's imprint, is founded by Penguin.

1945: Penguin's first reference book, The Penguin Dictionary of Science, is published.

1946: Penguin Australia is founded.

1946: The Penguin Classics series is launched with The Odyssey, which becomes Penguin's best-selling book.

1958: Putnam publishes Lolita by Vladimir Nabakov, unleashing a storm of controversy. Banned by public libraries in some American cities—and officially banned by the government of France--the book becomes a best-seller. Along with Norman Mailer's Deer Park, published by Putnam in 1955, Lolita is a landmark victory against the threat of censorship.

1960: The first unabridged version of Lady Chatterly's Lover is published by Penguin, causing the company to be charged under Britain's Obscene Publications Act. Against a backdrop of tremendous publicity the company is acquitted, marking a turning point in censorship laws in Britain. Penguin sells 2 million copies of the book in six weeks; the Allen Lane imprint sells another 1.3 million copies.

1960: Penguin Books celebrates its 25th Anniversary.

1961: Penguin Books goes public.

1961: Penguin Modern Classics is launched.

1965: G.P. Putnam's Sons acquires Berkley Books, a mass market paperback house.

1967: The first Penguin hardback is published under the Allen Lane Press imprint.

1970: Allen Lane dies; Penguin Books becomes a wholly owned subsidiary of Pearson Longman Ltd.

1973: Penguin Canada, which was originally founded during World War II but stopped operating in the mid 1950's, is restarted.

1975: MCA, Inc. acquires The Putnam Publishing Group and The Berkley Publishing Group.

1975: Penguin Books merges with the prestigious New York-based Viking Press, whose impressive group of authors, including John Steinbeck, Saul Bellow and Arthur Miller, gives Penguin a strong presence in the U.S. market for the first time.

Viking's children's division, with more Caldecott and Newbery awards than any other publishing house, publishes many children's classics, including the Madeline books, The Snowy Day by Ezra Jack Keats and Robert McCloskey's Make Way for Ducklings.

1979: Perigee Books, a trade paperback imprint is introduced by The Putnam Berkley Group.

1980: The Putnam Berkley Group acquires Philomel Books, a children's imprint.

1982: With the acquisition of Grosset & Dunlap, another children's publisher, Putnam emerges as one of America's premier children's book publishers. Grosset & Dunlap publish many popular children's series, including Nancy DrewThe Hardy Boys and The Bobbsey Twins.

1983: Penguin acquires the publisher Frederick Warne, best known for its Beatrix Potter titles.

1985: Penguin Books marks 50th Anniversary

1986: Penguin acquires the New American Library/Dutton Books and merges them with its US operations. This acquisition includes Dutton Children's Books, publisher of the classic Winnie-the-Pooh stories and winner of numerous children's awards, including several Caldecott and Newbery medals. The acquisition also brings The Dial Press, another prestigious children's imprint with numerous awards.

1991: The Putnam Berkley Group acquires Jeremy P. Tarcher, Inc., a preeminent publisher of New Age books.

1993: The Putnam Berkley Group acquires Price Stern Sloan, Inc. and its diversified lines of children's books, humor, self-help books and novelty items such as calendars, puzzles and games.

1993: Penguin Audiobooks is launched, putting classics, twentieth-century classics and contemporary fiction and nonfiction on tape.

1995: The Putnam Berkley Group launches Riverhead Books, a new adult hardcover and trade paperback imprint.

1996: The Putnam Berkley Group is acquired by The Penguin Group. Putnam Berkley is merged with Penguin USA to form Penguin Putnam Inc.

1996: Penguin takes a 51% stake in Rough Guides, the highly acclaimed publisher of travel and music writing.

1998: Penguin Putnam Books for Young Readers announces the formation of a new imprint, Phyllis Fogelman Books.

1999: Penguin Putnam acquires The Avery Publishing Group, a publisher of books on health, fitness and other self-help topics. Avery's extensive backlist includes "industry bible" Prescription for Nutritional Healing by James and Phyllis Balch.

2000: Penguin Putnam and Alloy Online Inc. partner to create a new teen imprint, AlloyBooks.

2000: Penguin Putnam announces the creation of a new adult imprint, called BlueHen Books, headed by Fred Ramey and Greg Michalson.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Green Penguin

John Makinson

"Penguin Group (USA) is proud to be partnered with The Nature Conservancy to Plant a Billion Trees. This will deepen our commitment to the environment by putting back some of the trees we use to create our books as well as creating a place for future generations to enjoy."

—Penguin Group Chairman and CEO John Makinson

Why Green Penguin

We at Penguin Group (USA) are aware of the importance of maintaining an attitude of stewardship toward the earth. We have a long history of publishing groundbreaking environmental works such as Rachel Carson's Under the Sea-Wind and John Muir's The Mountains of California. In 2008 we will continue this tradition of publishing books by writers who feel strongly about environmental issues and seek to show readers the way toward a better future.

Only 2% of the world's paper is turned into books. Even still, we make every effort to integrate our business practices into a framework that is respectful to the environment. We'd like to tell you what we at Penguin are doing to reduce our effects on the environment. As a well-known frog once said, it's not easy being green. But at Penguin we are doing our very best to make orange the new green.

OUR BIG GOAL

We are working with our sister companies and our corporate parent, Pearson Inc., to becoming climate neutral by 2009.

We will achieve this goal by measuring and significantly reducing our energy use, seeking sustainable forms of energy, and off-setting our remaining carbon usage.

Read more here:http://us.penguingroup.com/static/pages/aboutus/greenpenguin.html

Author
LilaDare
0 Kudos

I set my books in Georgia because I was born there and lived across the south--MS, VA, AL.  Also, it seems to me that the south has a strong tradition of women bonding together and I wanted this series to be a cross-generational story of women.  Yes, the books are all mysteries, but really it's about the women's relationships.  Thanks for asking!

New User
Erin_Galloway
0 Kudos

Hi Becke!

Thanks very much for rolling out the red carpet for Penguin this week.  As always, you've done a fantastic job of letting everyone know what exciting things we have coming up.  So far 2010 has been a great year for books and we think it's going to get even better!

A few thriller/suspense titles that I personally am working on and would love readers to check out are:

Daniel Levin's THE LAST EMBER - Available now!

Jo Davis's LINE OF FIRE - Available now!

Nora Roberts's THE SEARCH - Coming July 6th!

JoAnn Ross's THE HOMECOMING - Coming July 6th!

Maya Banks's THE DARKEST HOUR - Coming September 7th!

There is also a great mystery element in the first book in Jodi Thomas's new Harmony series, WELCOME TO HARMONY, which releases June 1st!

Happy Summer Reading to everyone!

Author
JoAnnRoss_
0 Kudos

Hey Becke ~  It's good to be back here!  I so enjoyed my romantic suspense day with your mystery group!  (I even figured out how to log in this time.) 

And yes, Erin's right.  My sweetie bought me a bag of taffy, then proposed. Being a clever girl, I said yes.  Amazingly, the taffy store is still there. In fact, he bought me another bag last fall.  (Okay, obviously I'm easy. I can be had for taffy.  LOL)  

I'll have to admit that as much as I enjoyed writing thrillers, part of the reason I went back to my more family-centric roots is that spending years thinking of ways to kill people and living with murderers in my head became a little depressing.  Also, the battle scenes that were part of my High Risk romantic thrillers became more uncomfortable to write once our two nephews started being redeployed. (They've both been in Iraq, and Kyle is currently a helicopter medevac in Afghanistan.)  Having begun my High Risk series with a helicopter crash in those very same mountains where he's flying, the stories just became too close to home.

Plus, I missed writing stories about good things happening to good, but flawed people.  So, in The Homecoming, former Navy SEAL Sniper Sax Douchett returns home to Shelter Bay, determined to put war behind him and get on with his life.  Which is easier said than done when nearly everyone in town is hailing the former bad boy as a local hero.  Adjusting to a new beginning becomes even more difficult when his dog unearths a human bone on the beach below his house.  

Drawn back into his life is Kara Conway -- a girl who held a special place in Sax's heart back in high school.  (Something I know firsthand about, since I married my high school sweetheart.) But as Sax cautiously reconnects with Kara and bonds with her young son, another long held secret in Shelter Bay threatens their second chance at a forever-after love.  (This also gets personal because I married my husband twice, which makes our own story a reunion romance. *smile*) 

I just received the first review, from RT Bookclub, and -- yay! - it's a lovely one:  "It isn't often that readers find characters they're wiling to spend a weekend with.  However, that's exactly what Ross accomplishes in The Homecoming, enveloping the reader in the lives of two endearing, albeit flawed, characters.  The result is an entertaining stay in Shelter Bay with two captivating people involved in a compelling mystery on their path to love."  

Oh!  One more thing!  The inspiration for the fantabulous cover Penguin's art department gave me came from a photo I sent them that I took last fall of a real house -- formerly a lighthouse keeper's house --  on the Oregon coast where the Shelter Bay books are set.  Readers can see the house and also take a virtual tour of Shelter Bay with a video scrapbook I created from more coast photos on my website at http://joannross.com 

becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

LilaDare wrote:

I set my books in Georgia because I was born there and lived across the south--MS, VA, AL.  Also, it seems to me that the south has a strong tradition of women bonding together and I wanted this series to be a cross-generational story of women.  Yes, the books are all mysteries, but really it's about the women's relationships.  Thanks for asking!

Sounds like my kind of series, Lila - I'll check it out!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Erin_Galloway wrote:

Hi Becke!

Thanks very much for rolling out the red carpet for Penguin this week.  As always, you've done a fantastic job of letting everyone know what exciting things we have coming up.  So far 2010 has been a great year for books and we think it's going to get even better!

A few thriller/suspense titles that I personally am working on and would love readers to check out are:

Daniel Levin's THE LAST EMBER - Available now!

Jo Davis's LINE OF FIRE - Available now!

Nora Roberts's THE SEARCH - Coming July 6th!

JoAnn Ross's THE HOMECOMING - Coming July 6th!

Maya Banks's THE DARKEST HOUR - Coming September 7th!

There is also a great mystery element in the first book in Jodi Thomas's new Harmony series, WELCOME TO HARMONY, which releases June 1st!

Happy Summer Reading to everyone!

Hi Erin - thanks so much for joining us!

I've been lucky enough to read advance copies of some of the books Erin mentioned, and I'll second her recommendations!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Tressed to Kill 

Here's Lila's book, too.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

JoAnnRoss_ wrote:

Hey Becke ~  It's good to be back here!  I so enjoyed my romantic suspense day with your mystery group!  (I even figured out how to log in this time.) 

Ah, but you're in the system now - it's a lot easier once you get past the Gatekeeper!

And yes, Erin's right.  My sweetie bought me a bag of taffy, then proposed. Being a clever girl, I said yes.  Amazingly, the taffy store is still there. In fact, he bought me another bag last fall.  (Okay, obviously I'm easy. I can be had for taffy.  LOL)  

Saltwater taffy? I love that stuff! What a great story!

I'll have to admit that as much as I enjoyed writing thrillers, part of the reason I went back to my more family-centric roots is that spending years thinking of ways to kill people and living with murderers in my head became a little depressing.  

I've often wondered about that. I mean, what's it like in Stephen King's head??

Also, the battle scenes that were part of my High Risk romantic thrillers became more uncomfortable to write once our two nephews started being redeployed. (They've both been in Iraq, and Kyle is currently a helicopter medevac in Afghanistan.)  Having begun my High Risk series with a helicopter crash in those very same mountains where he's flying, the stories just became too close to home.

Oh, I hope they stay safe. The son of a good friend of mine is heading off to Afghanistan any day now. I can see why you wouldn't want to be writing about those situations now.

Plus, I missed writing stories about good things happening to good, but flawed people.  So, in The Homecoming, former Navy SEAL Sniper Sax Douchett returns home to Shelter Bay, determined to put war behind him and get on with his life.  Which is easier said than done when nearly everyone in town is hailing the former bad boy as a local hero.  Adjusting to a new beginning becomes even more difficult when his dog unearths a human bone on the beach below his house.  

Drawn back into his life is Kara Conway -- a girl who held a special place in Sax's heart back in high school.  (Something I know firsthand about, since I married my high school sweetheart.) But as Sax cautiously reconnects with Kara and bonds with her young son, another long held secret in Shelter Bay threatens their second chance at a forever-after love.  (This also gets personal because I married my husband twice, which makes our own story a reunion romance. *smile*) 

The book sounds great (I have an advance copy in my TBR pile, and it just moved to the top!) I'm intrigued by your romantic "married twice" story - sounds like material for another book!

I just received the first review, from RT Bookclub, and -- yay! - it's a lovely one:  "It isn't often that readers find characters they're wiling to spend a weekend with.  However, that's exactly what Ross accomplishes in The Homecoming, enveloping the reader in the lives of two endearing, albeit flawed, characters.  The result is an entertaining stay in Shelter Bay with two captivating people involved in a compelling mystery on their path to love."  

Yep, top of the pile. I want to read about these characters - Shelter Bay sounds wonderful! 

Oh!  One more thing!  The inspiration for the fantabulous cover Penguin's art department gave me came from a photo I sent them that I took last fall of a real house -- formerly a lighthouse keeper's house --  on the Oregon coast where the Shelter Bay books are set.  Readers can see the house and also take a virtual tour of Shelter Bay with a video scrapbook I created from more coast photos on my website at http://joannross.com 

Thanks for the link, JoAnn! Wow, I didn't realize publishers would work so closely with authors on their book covers. That makes the whole story more meaningful!

Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
0 Kudos

Becke and everyone,

This has been a very interesting thread. I have learned a lot.

Plus it helped my TBR pile to grow.

Becke this was a great idea.

pen21

becke_davis
0 Kudos

pen21 wrote:

Becke and everyone,

This has been a very interesting thread. I have learned a lot.

Plus it helped my TBR pile to grow.

Becke this was a great idea.

pen21

Pen, that is the danger of hanging around BN.com. My TBR pile is evidence of that!!

Author
JoAnnRoss_
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Saltwater taffy? I love that stuff! What a great story!

When we were much, much younger, he told me that they had to make it at the coast, because that's where the salt water -- from the ocean -- was.  For years I actually believed that.  LOL   

I've often wondered about that. I mean, what's it like in Stephen King's head??

I am not sure we want to know.  :smileysurprised:

Oh, I hope they stay safe. The son of a good friend of mine is heading off to Afghanistan any day now. 

Thanks.  We will keep your friend's son in our thoughts and prayers. Its' so hard on families. 

I'm intrigued by your romantic "married twice" story - sounds like material for another book!

It's can be hard when you marry very young. We laughingly call those in-between years, in our late 20s and early 30s, his two years off for bad behavior. 

Yep, top of the pile. I want to read about these characters - Shelter Bay sounds wonderful! 

I'm honored.  I hope you enjoy Sax and Kara's story.  Another thing that makes the story personal to me is that Kara's son is the same age our son was during the years I was a single mom.  So I identified a lot with her character while writing.

Thanks for the link, JoAnn! Wow, I didn't realize publishers would work so closely with authors on their book covers. That makes the whole story more meaningful!

I've been very fortunate.  Which gives me a chance to say what I forgot to the first time -- that Penguin was actually my first publisher.  Clair Zion, who's now NAL's editorial director, discovered me in the slush pile back in 1982.  So, being back at NAL has been my own homecoming.  And it's been a joy. 

becke_davis
0 Kudos

JoAnn - I LOVE "discovered in the slush pile" stories! You've come a long way!

Author
JoAnnRoss_
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

What was really fun was that two weeks after NAL discovered me in THEIR slush pile, Silhouette (before they were bought by HQ)  discovered me in theirs.  Fortunately, it was not the same book.  :smileyvery-happy:

becke_davis
0 Kudos

JoAnnRoss_ wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

What was really fun was that two weeks after NAL discovered me in THEIR slush pile, Silhouette (before they were bought by HQ)  discovered me in theirs.  Fortunately, it was not the same book.  :smileyvery-happy:

Wow. Having read your books (many of them - not sure if I've read every one), I can see why your writing stood out!

Author
JoAnnRoss_
0 Kudos

Thank you!  That brightened  my day. (Which really needed brightening with constuction guys upstairs, downstairs, sanding, pounding all over the house!) 

becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

JoAnnRoss_ wrote:

Thank you!  That brightened  my day. (Which really needed brightening with constuction guys upstairs, downstairs, sanding, pounding all over the house!) 

Maybe some chocolate would help? Flowers? If you want to go a little wild, check out the party at the First Look thread. There's always food there -- the only thing you need to join us is a good imagination, and I think you've got that covered! It's our "off-topic" thread, and it's pretty crazy!

bouquet of flowers

valentineschocolatesfancy.jpg Fancy Chocolates image by AnnaMollyMadison