Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Thanksgiving Mysteries - and more

Crewel Yule (Needlecraft Mystery Series #8)

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Mysteries for the Holidays (for you & your kids/grandkids, too)

Mistletoe Murder (Lucy Stone Series #1)

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

Becke:

Thanks for all the gift suggestions!

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
becke_davis
0 Kudos

eadieburke wrote:

Becke:

Thanks for all the gift suggestions!

I'm sure I missed some, so feel free to add any of your favorites!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

That's a great list, there, becke. I found myself mentally adding books that I thought you had missed, but when I scrolled through again, I saw you had actually included several of my old favorites.

For me, Christmas mysteries can't get any better than a collection of Christmas mysteries edited by Charlotte MacLeod.

One of them is Misletoe Mysteries.

The other is Christmas Stalkings.

Besides her Peter Shandy and Sarah Kelling/Max Bittersohn mysteries, which I always enjoyed reading, because of the outlandish humor Charlotte injected in her mysteries, these collections are just the thing for some light enjoyable reading at Christmas time.

Some other books on your list which I've read and enjoyed:

Kissing Christmas Goodbye and Busy Body, two Agatha  Raisin mysteries, and A Highland Christmas, featuring Hamish MacBeth, by MC Beaton, are excellent holiday-themed works by the esteemed Ms. Beaton.  Poor Agatha is perpetually trying to create the perfect Christmas dinner and entertainment, despite the unfortunate fact that she can't cook! In Busy Body, she takes a different approach, and tries taking a holiday to what she thinks is going to be a wonderful  holiday vacation, to Corsica. Once she has arrived, however, she finds it is the off season there, and most of the shops and restaurants are closed.  After failing to find a restaurant that serves lobster, and having to endure driving through a maze of narrow streets and horrible, stormy weather, Agatha emits one of her howling comments: " Sod this for a game of soldiers... I'm going home." Of course, once she gets back to the small village of Carsely, located in the Cotswolds, there is a mysterious death which develops into a case for Agatha and her crew.  I also loved A Highland Christmas, especially the part where Hamish howled at the overly strict parents of a runaway daughter.

Some other books on your list which I've read and enjoyed:

Mrs. Jeffries and the Yuletide Weddings, and Mrs, Jeffries and the Feast of St. Stephen, by Emily Brightwell. The latter book is the first I read in the Mrs. J series, and I got hooked by reading it. The humor in these mysteries is that Mrs. Jeffries, with the help of the members of household staff of Inspector Witherspoon, is actually the person who solves the mystery in these books, and then skillfully spoonfeeds information to the Inspector, making him think that he's the one who's done the solving.

I haven't read A Rumpole Christmas yet, but I have it on my wish list now.

I'd forgotten that A Rare Benedictine by Ellis Peters,  featuring Brother Cadfael, was centered around Christmas, so I want to re-read that again as well.

Of course, who could leave out the grande dame herself, who wrote several books set during the Christmas season, and featuring that intrepid, splendidly mustachioed, Belgian detective, Hercule Poirot? Not I! I revere the memory of Agatha Christie by re-reading Hercule Poirot's Chrismas, every year now.

If any of the rest of the members of our group here have read some of the other books included in becke's list, I'd be pleased if you would share your impressions here.

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
becke_davis
0 Kudos

A Wallflower Christmas (Wallflower Series #5)

I have the Rumpole Christmas and the Charlotte Macleod Christmas book. I'm reading a Christmas anthology right now, but it's a romance:

Midnight Kiss 

I read Lisa Kleypas' Wallflowers Christmas book and I might pick up this one, too:

Christmas Eve at Friday Harbor

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

A Wallflower Christmas (Wallflower Series #5)

I have the Rumpole Christmas and the Charlotte Macleod Christmas book. I'm reading a Christmas anthology right now, but it's a romance:

Midnight Kiss 

I read Lisa Kleypas' Wallflowers Christmas book and I might pick up this one, too:

Christmas Eve at Friday Harbor

Those Lisa Kleypas books look interesting, becke. I've never heard of her before--are these mysteries, or romance novels?
" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
becke_davis
0 Kudos

They're romance - Katia Lief's books were soooooo good, but extremely intense. I needed a change of pace after finishing both of those this week, so I switched to romance. I'm sure I'll be back to mystery in a day or so! That Tarquin Hall book is calling to me. (I bought it awhile ago.)

The Case of the Missing Servant (Vish Puri Series #1)

Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Fricka wrote:

If any of the rest of the members of our group here have read some of the other books included in becke's list, I'd be pleased if you would share your impressions here.

Well, of course I've read

Sugarplum Dead (Death on Demand Series #12)  , since it's part of one of my favorite series - Death on Demand!  And of course I've read the Poirot novel, as well as his short story about the Christmas Pudding.

This one is on my TBR shelf; haven't read it yet:

Santa Cruise (Regan Reilly Series) 

Speaking of Charlotte MacLeod and Peter Shandy, I have a very small book, actually more of a booklet, of a story called Rest You Merry.  I think I got it free with a purchase from a book club.

I'd also like to recommend the following book.  I don't remember if it has any mysteries, but it is a wonderful variety of stories, poems, recipes, legends, etc. 

Little Big Book of Christmas  

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
becke_davis
0 Kudos

dulcinea3 wrote:

Fricka wrote:

Well, of course I've read

Sugarplum Dead (Death on Demand Series #12)  , since it's part of one of my favorite series - Death on Demand!  And of course I've read the Poirot novel, as well as his short story about the Christmas Pudding.

This one is on my TBR shelf; haven't read it yet:

Santa Cruise (Regan Reilly Series) 

Speaking of Charlotte MacLeod and Peter Shandy, I have a very small book, actually more of a booklet, of a story called Rest You Merry.  I think I got it free with a purchase from a book club.

I'd also like to recommend the following book.  I don't remember if it has any mysteries, but it is a wonderful variety of stories, poems, recipes, legends, etc. 

Little Big Book of Christmas  

Oh, I bought that last book for my parents one year! I've read a lot of Charlotte Macleod's books, and I remember one in particular that was set at Christmas time. I haven't read it in ages, but I just checked her book list and, sure enough, it's REST YOU MERRY!

Rest You Merry

Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

dulcinea3 wrote:

I've read a lot of Charlotte Macleod's books, and I remember one in particular that was set at Christmas time. I haven't read it in ages, but I just checked her book list and, sure enough, it's REST YOU MERRY!

Rest You Merry

Hmmm, I think mine must just be an excerpt, then, because it is so short.  I remember the bit about what he does with his house and then leaves, but I don't think he comes home to a murder.  Maybe it's either just a humorous excerpt, or an idea that she started out with and then expanded it into a full-length mystery.  Interesting!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
becke_davis
0 Kudos

I wonder if you're right - she wrote it as a short and then expanded it. It was a good one - I can still remember it, and I read it YEARS ago.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]