Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Re: Mysteries for the Holidays

Shoot, the gnomes are at it again! I wrote that I couldn't believe that I'd forgotten to include Advent of Dying by Sister Carol Ann O'Marie!

Advent of Dying (Sister Mary Helen Series #2)  

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Also, for anyone who is getting sick already of all the Christmas decorations and hoopla of the season, I have just the  book that's an antidote for that. It's by Kerry Greenwood, and it's from her Corinna Chapman series. The cover does not look the least book Christmassy, but since it's set in Australia, and December there is their summer season, the book deals with all of that.

Forbidden Fruit (Corinna Chapman Series #5)  

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

A Christmas Garland  

Merry, Merry Ghost (Bailey Ruth Raeburn Series #2)  

Herald of Death (Pennyfoot Hotel Mystery Series #19)  

Ringing in Murder (Pennyfoot Hotel Mystery Series #16)  

Decked with Folly (Pennyfoot Hotel Mystery Series #17)  

The Clue Is in the Pudding (Pennyfoot Hotel Mystery Series #20)  

A Christmas Homecoming  

A Christmas Odyssey  

Holiday Buzz (Coffeehouse Mystery Series #12)  

A Rumpole Christmas  

I haven't checked to see if these have already been listed, but I was just declining my monthly features from The Mystery Guild, and they had some Christmas-related suggestions:

(edited to remove a couple that were already mentioned in others' posts)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

I would have to agree that $50 for a book I wouldn't know if I would like it or not, is a bit much!

Fricka wrote:

Oh, gee this is fun. I recognize a lot of the books being listed here as ones I've read, but there are a lot I know I haven't--yet.

RyanG, I followed the link for An English Murder and found that the book is selling for $50.00 or more, secondhand!!!! That is too steep for my budget, so I did a search from my library site and now have it on reserve.

An English Murder  

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Well, I sort of opened my big fat mouth a bit too far, in a different thread. I have been copying the lists of mystery authors who have one or more books that tie in with Christmas/The Winter Holiday season, and at the time, was thinking maybe becke would do a comparison from the Mystery Fanfare list with the books we've listed here. Since becke is clearly going to be busy babysitting her grand-daughter Adaline and niece Felicity, I guess it's up to me to step into the breach.

I must offer one caveat. If I find the MF list is just tooooo danged long, I'll  quit. But since it's raining today in Phoenix, and I don't feel like going outdoors, what better way to spend my time(aside from online shopping or reading) is there?

OK, must offer another caveat. So far I only have Janet's list going through authors up to N. Have no idea if I will feel like continuing with this once she comes out with the O-Z list.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

I'll start this list, but please add more books with holiday themes!

Cat Bearing Gifts (Joe Grey Series #18)  

Mistletoe, Merriment, and Murder  

Merry Christmas, Alex Cross  

Kissing Christmas Goodbye (Agatha Raisin Series #18)  

A Highland Christmas (Hamish Macbeth Series #16)  

Christmas Crumble  

The Twelve Clues of Christmas (Royal Spyness Series #6)  

Blue Christmas (Now with More Holiday Cheer Edition)  

Fatal Fruitcake  

The Lola Cruz Christmas Story  

Christmas in Absaroka County  

The Christmas Cookie Killer (Fresh-Baked Mystery Series #3)  

The Christmas Cookie Killer (Fresh-Baked Mystery Series #3)  

White House Christmas Mystery (Real Kids Real Places Series, Volume 7)  

Hercule Poirot's Christmas  

Christmas at The Mysterious Bookshop  

Christmas Stalkings  

Mistletoe Murder (Lucy Stone Series #1)  

Gingerbread Cookie Murder  

Christmas Cookie Murder (Lucy Stone Series #6)  

New Year's Eve Murder (Lucy Stone Series #12)  

The Shooting in the Shop (Fethering Series #11)  

The Christmas Crimes at Puzzel Manor  

Janet R. has Death of a Snob, A Highland Christmas, Agatha Raisin and Kissing Christmas Goodbye, Death of a Prankster, and Christmas Crumble, all written by MC Beaton, on her list. Incidentally A Highland Christmas is one of my favorite novels, in particular, it's one of my favorite Hamish MacBeth mysteries. She's also got Twelve Clues of Christmas by Rhys Bown listed. For Agatha Christie, she has Hercule Poirot's Christmas and The Sittaford Murder. She has Donna Andrews for Six Geese-A Slaying, but no Mary Kay Andrews( one extra point for our team, yay becke!!!!) Oh wait--she has Fatal Fruitcake listed, only under Kay Andrews and Kathy Hogan Trocheck. What the heck??? OK closing this post so I can check on some of the author's names. I see becke has included links, but I can't make out all the names.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Fricka wrote:

Well, I sort of opened my big fat mouth a bit too far, in a different thread. I have been copying the lists of mystery authors who have one or more books that tie in with Christmas/The Winter Holiday season, and at the time, was thinking maybe becke would do a comparison from the Mystery Fanfare list with the books we've listed here. Since becke is clearly going to be busy babysitting her grand-daughter Adaline and niece Felicity, I guess it's up to me to step into the breach.

I must offer one caveat. If I find the MF list is just tooooo danged long, I'll  quit. But since it's raining today in Phoenix, and I don't feel like going outdoors, what better way to spend my time(aside from online shopping or reading) is there?

OK, must offer another caveat. So far I only have Janet's list going through authors up to N. Have no idea if I will feel like continuing with this once she comes out with the O-Z list.

Thanks for keeping me on my toes, Fricka! No baby here today, but I wasn't home most of the day, either. Had a fun outing with a friend from high school who I hadn't seen in 20+ years!

Here are links to some of our previous Christmas mystery compilations:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Mystery/Christmas-Mysteries/m-p/120240/highlight/true#M1317

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Mystery/Mysteries-for-the-Holidays-for-you-amp-your-kids-gran...

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Mystery/The-12-Mysterious-Days-of-Christmas/m-p/272483/highli...

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Mystery/Hercule-Poirot-s-Christmas-A-Holiday-Mystery/m-p/2584...

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Ooooh, I cannto believe I thought it might be a good idea to combine the two lists!

becke, thank you for that cliarifcation on Mary Kay Andrews. That was driving me crazy.

Sorry, people, but there won't be any more list comparing from ME. Use the links becke's given here, and really, with all the books we posted here plus the ones I copied from Janet Rudolph's site, anyone should be able to find a holiday-themed mystery novel to enjoy. Ho, Ho, Ho.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Fricka wrote:

Ooooh, I cannto believe I thought it might be a good idea to combine the two lists!

becke, thank you for that cliarifcation on Mary Kay Andrews. That was driving me crazy.

Sorry, people, but there won't be any more list comparing from ME. Use the links becke's given here, and really, with all the books we posted here plus the ones I copied from Janet Rudolph's site, anyone should be able to find a holiday-themed mystery novel to enjoy. Ho, Ho, Ho.

I wish there was an easy way to merge and compare the lists. Some tech-talented person might be able to do it, but not me!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Which is where you and I come in. For weeks now I’ve been plotting a little holiday surprise–the E-publication of an original Christmas short story called Fatal Fruitcake, featuring my mystery series protagonist Callahan Garrity. Callahan, for those of you who don’t know, was the star of eight mysteries I wrote under my own name, which is Kathy Hogan Trocheck.

Fatal Fruitcake  

In March, HarperCollins is going to re-issue all the Callahans as trade paperbacks by Mary Kay Andrews writing as KHT. So I thought it might be fun to give my MKA and KHT readers an advance taste of Callahan–and of some holiday shenanigans.You can buy it here for your Kindle. And you can currently buy it here for your other e-Readers, including iPad, Kobo and Nook.