Scribe
optic_i
0 Kudos

Re: Mysteries with an Archaeology Theme

Hi Becke,

Just started book 5. :smileyhappy:

Optic

More Bitter than Death (Emma Fielding Series #5)

By Dana Cameron

It's a deadly winter for archaeologist Emma Fielding as she tracks a killer in an old New Hampshire hotel, in this fifth mystery from real-life archaeologist Dana Cameron. Archaeologist Emma Fielding should be on top of the world. Her teaching job secure and home life stable, she arrives at an archaeological conference at a famous old New Hampshire hotel, having outrun the winter storm that's paralyzing the East Coast.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

optic_i wrote:

Hi Becke,

Just started book 5. :smileyhappy:

Optic

More Bitter than Death (Emma Fielding Series #5)

By Dana Cameron

It's a deadly winter for archaeologist Emma Fielding as she tracks a killer in an old New Hampshire hotel, in this fifth mystery from real-life archaeologist Dana Cameron. Archaeologist Emma Fielding should be on top of the world. Her teaching job secure and home life stable, she arrives at an archaeological conference at a famous old New Hampshire hotel, having outrun the winter storm that's paralyzing the East Coast.

Dana is going to be visiting with us next month!!

Scribe
optic_i
0 Kudos

Hi Becke,

I saw the documentary on PBS last night on the iceman. So I thought this would be good for the archeology theme.

Never mentioned in the documentary, is the curse of the iceman. You can learn more about the curse on this link.   :smileyhappy:

Optic

Iceman  

by Brenda Fowler

On September 19, 1991 a couple hiking along an Alpine ridge stumbled upon a frozen, intact corpse melting out of a glacier. He was dubbed "the Iceman," and his discovery—along with the realization that he was actually 5,000 years old—set off a whirlwind of political, scientific, and media activity that made him an overnight sensation. In this remarkable and dramatic book, Brenda Fowler takes readers through the bizarre odyssey that began in the Stone Age and continued for years after the Iceman was unearthed.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

optic_i wrote:

Hi Becke,

I saw the documentary on PBS last night on the iceman. So I thought this would be good for the archeology theme.

Never mentioned in the documentary, is the curse of the iceman. You can learn more about the curse on this link.   :smileyhappy:

Optic

Iceman  

by Brenda Fowler

On September 19, 1991 a couple hiking along an Alpine ridge stumbled upon a frozen, intact corpse melting out of a glacier. He was dubbed "the Iceman," and his discovery—along with the realization that he was actually 5,000 years old—set off a whirlwind of political, scientific, and media activity that made him an overnight sensation. In this remarkable and dramatic book, Brenda Fowler takes readers through the bizarre odyssey that began in the Stone Age and continued for years after the Iceman was unearthed.

That reminds me of a book I really liked awhile back. It's not an archaeology mystery, as such, but I think it still qualifies for this thread:

Almost Adam  

Scribe
optic_i
0 Kudos

Hi Becke,

Your blog site looks great. I never knew you had a dark side! You hide it very well, who knew?

Yes, the book Almost Adam does remind me of Michael Crichton's Lost World.   :smileyhappy:

Optic

The Lost World

becke_davis
0 Kudos

optic_i wrote:

Hi Becke,

Your blog site looks great. I never knew you had a dark side! You hide it very well, who knew?

Yes, the book Almost Adam does remind me of Michael Crichton's Lost World.   :smileyhappy:

Optic

The Lost World

LOL - my beta-readers are always surprised at the dark twists in my stories. Probably comes of a life spent reading mysteries!

I am a big fan of Michael Crichton's books - I've read most of them!

Scribe
optic_i
0 Kudos

Hi Becke,

Well, believe it or not, I've had the power out since our last post here on mystery. So I've had time to finish the Emma Fielding Series by Dana Cameron. Just read book #6, Ashes to Bone.   :smileyhappy:

Optic

Ashes and Bones (Emma Fielding Series #6)

By Dana Cameron

Just when everything is going beautifully for archaeologist Emma Fielding — a position at a respected university, a beautiful home in New England, and the warm love of a devoted husband — her world starts to crumble. What begins as a series of seemingly innocent gestures — the anonymous delivery of gifts and flowers to Emma's family and friends — soon progresses to secret, sadistic acts designed to destroy her reputation, her character, and her career.  

becke_davis
0 Kudos

optic_i wrote:

Hi Becke,

Well, believe it or not, I've had the power out since our last post here on mystery. So I've had time to finish the Emma Fielding Series by Dana Cameron. Just read book #6, Ashes to Bone.   :smileyhappy:

Optic

By Dana Cameron

Just when everything is going beautifully for archaeologist Emma Fielding — a position at a respected university, a beautiful home in New England, and the warm love of a devoted husband — her world starts to crumble. What begins as a series of seemingly innocent gestures — the anonymous delivery of gifts and flowers to Emma's family and friends — soon progresses to secret, sadistic acts designed to destroy her reputation, her character, and her career.  

I have this in my TBR pile - I need to find more time to read SOON!

Scribe
optic_i
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

optic_i wrote:

Hi Becke,

Optic

By Dana Cameron

Becke, I know you have a great line up of Authors this month! I hope my power gets up soon, Day # 8 almost, but I really hope it's back by Nov. 21 st for Dana Cameron's visit !   :smileyhappy:   Optic

becke_davis
0 Kudos

optic_i wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

optic_i wrote:

Hi Becke,

Optic

By Dana Cameron

Becke, I know you have a great line up of Authors this month! I hope my power gets up soon, Day # 8 almost, but I really hope it's back by Nov. 21 st for Dana Cameron's visit !   :smileyhappy:   Optic

You are STILL without power?? What are the temperatures like there? How are you managing??

Scribe
optic_i
0 Kudos

Hi Becke, 

Yes, we're still out of power here, but we are ok. We have a wood stove for heat, so we are lucky, and a generator for power. It's much better now. Most towns have some power; it looks like Wednesday for us - maybe.

The National Guard is in some of the larger hard hit towns. We have seen Kentucky Power trucks working in our area. On Monday we saw long gas lines and only a few stations were pumping. Gas was needed for generators, so there were long lines to fill portable gas tanks as well as car tanks. The traffic lights were all out everywhere so everyone was on the honor system for 4 way stops at intersections. People were placing anything they could - cones in front of down trees, hanging wires, large branches, and power poles all in the roads so no one hit them.  A train hit wires in a town next to us and pulled down power poles and street lights in its wake. Thankfully no one was hurt. 

Becke, back on Tuesday we went to a mall 25 miles away to Barns&Noble because of no Internet. No one knew how bad it was; we just had text messages and battery radio, but the reception was bad. There were so many with computers at B&N trying to get WIFI, they were sitting on the floor wall to wall. B&N was so good about letting people use their store, and everyone was very quiet, the employees were really good also. They also lost power at home and we were all in the same  boat. That's the great thing about B&N, it's a real book store with people ! I know they sold a lot of books since the storm !  We can still read without power.  :smileyhappy:

Optic

becke_davis
0 Kudos

optic_i wrote:

Hi Becke, 

Yes, we're still out of power here, but we are ok. We have a wood stove for heat, so we are lucky, and a generator for power. It's much better now. Most towns have some power; it looks like Wednesday for us - maybe.

The National Guard is in some of the larger hard hit towns. We have seen Kentucky Power trucks working in our area. On Monday we saw long gas lines and only a few stations were pumping. Gas was needed for generators, so there were long lines to fill portable gas tanks as well as car tanks. The traffic lights were all out everywhere so everyone was on the honor system for 4 way stops at intersections. People were placing anything they could - cones in front of down trees, hanging wires, large branches, and power poles all in the roads so no one hit them.  A train hit wires in a town next to us and pulled down power poles and street lights in its wake. Thankfully no one was hurt. 

Becke, back on Tuesday we went to a mall 25 miles away to Barns&Noble because of no Internet. No one knew how bad it was; we just had text messages and battery radio, but the reception was bad. There were so many with computers at B&N trying to get WIFI, they were sitting on the floor wall to wall. B&N was so good about letting people use their store, and everyone was very quiet, the employees were really good also. They also lost power at home and we were all in the same  boat. That's the great thing about B&N, it's a real book store with people ! I know they sold a lot of books since the storm !  We can still read without power.  :smileyhappy:

Optic

I'm so glad Barnes & Noble was able to help so many people who were without internet access! I'm relieved you have heat - my brother has a woodstove, and it works really well. Still, this has to be a MAJOR inconvience, and dangerous for those who don't have woodstoves. Do me a favor and keep us posted - this is very worrying!

New User
bkind2me
0 Kudos

You should check out The Babylon Prophecy by Sean Salazar. It's just recently published and is the first of nine books in the series. Reminded me of Raiders of the Lost Ark. Very fast-moving and interesting premise. Available at B&N stores and Nook.
becke_davis
0 Kudos

bkind2me wrote:
You should check out The Babylon Prophecy by Sean Salazar. It's just recently published and is the first of nine books in the series. Reminded me of Raiders of the Lost Ark. Very fast-moving and interesting premise. Available at B&N stores and Nook.

bkind2me wrote:

Here's the link:

The Babylon Prophecy  

Reader
pebbles96
0 Kudos

I love the Amelia Peabody books...they are such a fun and easy read.

Scribe
optic_i
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

optic_i wrote:

Hi Becke, 

Optic

I'm so glad Barnes & Noble was able to help so many people who were without internet access! I'm relieved you have heat - my brother has a woodstove, and it works really well. Still, this has to be a MAJOR inconvience, and dangerous for those who don't have woodstoves. Do me a favor and keep us posted - this is very worrying!

Hi Becke,

Most of the state has power now. But not here yet, yes, day #10. We are the last 60,000 left !  Yes it was very hard for folks without woodstoves. One of the first things to be set up were hand made signs for directions to shelters. I would see them at intersections in towns so people could find them. That's where they could get warm, have a warm meal, get coffee, showers, and charge electronics, It was also on the radio. Radio stations were taking calls most of the week and people told them what was happening.     :smileyhappy:     

Optic

becke_davis
0 Kudos

optic_i wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

optic_i wrote:

Hi Becke, 

Optic

Hi Becke,

Most of the state has power now. But not here yet, yes, day #10. We are the last 60,000 left !  Yes it was very hard for folks without woodstoves. One of the first things to be set up were hand made signs for directions to shelters. I would see them at intersections in towns so people could find them. That's where they could get warm, have a warm meal, get coffee, showers, and charge electronics, It was also on the radio. Radio stations were taking calls most of the week and people told them what was happening.     :smileyhappy:     

Optic

10 days? That's unbelievable! 

By the way, I told my supervisor about the B&N store you went to, and how helpful they were to people who were without internet connections. He passed it on - I hope your store will receive some recognition from the corporate offices. I love to hear when people have positive B&N experiences!

Scribe
optic_i
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

optic_i wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

optic_i wrote:

Hi Becke, 

Optic

Hi Becke,

Optic

By the way, I told my supervisor about the B&N store you went to, and how helpful they were to people who were without internet connections. He passed it on - I hope your store will receive some recognition from the corporate offices. I love to hear when people have positive B&N experiences!

Hi Becke, Thats great! I hope they do also, Well today on day # 11 we did have our power restored !  But this morning 26000 were still out in ct. I hope they get restored by tonight.  :smileyhappy:    Optic

becke_davis
0 Kudos

optic_i wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

optic_i wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

optic_i wrote:

Hi Becke, 

Optic

Hi Becke,

Optic

Hi Becke, Thats great! I hope they do also, Well today on day # 11 we did have our power restored !  But this morning 26000 were still out in ct. I hope they get restored by tonight.  :smileyhappy:    Optic

Hurray! Hopefully the rest of the state will have their power back soon.

Contributor
Jennifer_Malin
0 Kudos

Hi Becke and friends,

One I don't see listed is Court of Three Sisters  by Marianne Willman -- set on a Greek island, Victorian times, if I recall correctly. The heroine is interesting in that she's disabled after a childhood accident.

I also picked up at a flea market but haven't yet read this one:

I don't suppose self-promos are appropriate here, so I won't mention my own archaeology-themed mystery, but I've just self-pubbed one. :smileywink: 

Happy reading!

Jen