Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Mysteries with an Archaeology Theme

Jennifer_Malin wrote:

Hi Becke and friends,

One I don't see listed is Court of Three Sisters  by Marianne Willman -- set on a Greek island, Victorian times, if I recall correctly. The heroine is interesting in that she's disabled after a childhood accident.

I also picked up at a flea market but haven't yet read this one:

I don't suppose self-promos are appropriate here, so I won't mention my own archaeology-themed mystery, but I've just self-pubbed one. :smileywink: 

Happy reading!

Jen

Ooh - I'll add this to my TBR pile. I've read the first couple books in this series, but haven't mae it this far yet.

Contributor
Jennifer_Malin
0 Kudos

Glad that I mentioned one you hadn't read, Becke! Hope it's a good one. I still haven't gotten to it ye myself. : /

Jen

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Jennifer_Malin wrote:

Glad that I mentioned one you hadn't read, Becke! Hope it's a good one. I still haven't gotten to it ye myself. : /

Jen

This is a dangerous place, Jen - every time I start to make a dent in my to-be-read pile, I find new books to add to it!

New User
windyhills
0 Kudos

There is a very good one that I don't see here yet.  It is by Gregory Benford and the title is "Artifact", published in 2001 by Orbit.  I found this in a second hand bookstore years ago and really like it.  I have not read any of Benford's other books yet but believe most are science fiction and probably "Artifact" gets put in that category instead of mystery most of the time.  I saw some less than good reader reviews on another website but in my opinion this is a good mystery.  Not a murder mystery.  The mystery is finding out what the artifact actually is.  One reviewer wrote "Indiana Jones meets Partical Physics" which is a good description.  

becke_davis
0 Kudos

windyhills wrote:

There is a very good one that I don't see here yet.  It is by Gregory Benford and the title is "Artifact", published in 2001 by Orbit.  I found this in a second hand bookstore years ago and really like it.  I have not read any of Benford's other books yet but believe most are science fiction and probably "Artifact" gets put in that category instead of mystery most of the time.  I saw some less than good reader reviews on another website but in my opinion this is a good mystery.  Not a murder mystery.  The mystery is finding out what the artifact actually is.  One reviewer wrote "Indiana Jones meets Partical Physics" which is a good description.  

Artifact  

Thanks - here's the link.

Scribe
optic_i
0 Kudos

Hi Becke,

For anyone who's interested in the methods of archeology and how it started, this is a humorous and fascinating book. I found out how the first radio-carbon dating was done with carbon 14. Would you believe it was tested first on Baltimore's sewage system? There's lots of other interesting information in this book - a very enjoyable read.   :smileyhappy:

Temples, Tombs, and Hieroglyphs 

Writing as Elizabeth Peters, world-renowned Egyptologist Barbara Mertz is the author of the phenomenally popular New York Times bestselling mystery series featuring archaeologist Amelia Peabody.

In Temples, Tombs, and Hieroglyphs, Dr. Mertz explores the breathtaking reality behind her fiction by casting a dazzling light on a remarkable civilization that, even after thousands of years, still stirs the human imagination and inspires awe with its marvelous mysteries and amazing accomplishments.

A fascinating chronicle of an extraordinary epoch—from the first Stone Age settlements through the reign of Cleopatra and the Roman invasions—Temples, Tombs, and Hieroglyphs brings ancient Egypt to life as never before. Lavishly illustrated with pictures, maps, photographs, and charts, it offers tantalizing glimpses into Egyptian society and everyday life; amazing stories of the pharaohs and the rise and fall of great dynasties; religion and culture; folklore and fairy tales; stories of the explorers, scientists, and unmitigated scoundrels who sought to unravel or exploit the ageless mysteries; and breathtaking insights into the magnificent architectural wonders that rose up from the desert sands.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

optic_i wrote:

Hi Becke,

For anyone who's interested in the methods of archeology and how it started, this is a humorous and fascinating book. I found out how the first radio-carbon dating was done with carbon 14. Would you believe it was tested first on Baltimore's sewage system? There's lots of other interesting information in this book - a very enjoyable read.   :smileyhappy:

Temples, Tombs, and Hieroglyphs 

Writing as Elizabeth Peters, world-renowned Egyptologist Barbara Mertz is the author of the phenomenally popular New York Times bestselling mystery series featuring archaeologist Amelia Peabody.

In Temples, Tombs, and Hieroglyphs, Dr. Mertz explores the breathtaking reality behind her fiction by casting a dazzling light on a remarkable civilization that, even after thousands of years, still stirs the human imagination and inspires awe with its marvelous mysteries and amazing accomplishments.

A fascinating chronicle of an extraordinary epoch—from the first Stone Age settlements through the reign of Cleopatra and the Roman invasions—Temples, Tombs, and Hieroglyphs brings ancient Egypt to life as never before. Lavishly illustrated with pictures, maps, photographs, and charts, it offers tantalizing glimpses into Egyptian society and everyday life; amazing stories of the pharaohs and the rise and fall of great dynasties; religion and culture; folklore and fairy tales; stories of the explorers, scientists, and unmitigated scoundrels who sought to unravel or exploit the ageless mysteries; and breathtaking insights into the magnificent architectural wonders that rose up from the desert sands.

Great recommendation! I thought I recognized her name...

becke_davis
0 Kudos

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Here's another one with an Archeological theme just released today and visit here for the Q&A w/ the author

Beautiful Sacrifice  

becke_davis
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

Here's another one with an Archeological theme just released today and visit here for the Q&A w/ the author

Beautiful Sacrifice  

Oooh - thanks,Debbie!

Scribe
optic_i
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

dhaupt wrote:

Beautiful Sacrifice  

Oooh - thanks,Debbie!

Thanks Deb,

This does look good ! 

Optic