Scribe
optic_i
0 Kudos

Mysterious Connections

Hi Everyone,

I thought it would be fun to add your own mysterious connections in mystery books.

I was reading two books at the same time and one referenced the author of the other book.

While reading Agatha Christie's The Moving Finger, I found it was written in 1942, during the second world war.

The other book I was reading was Blackout by Connie Willis, a time travel story set during World War II. Blackout's characters remarked about Agatha Christie working in a hospital and being in London during the Blitz.

What are your mysterious connections?   :smileyhappy:

Optic

The Moving Finger (Miss Marple Series)

Blackout

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Mysterious Connections

optic_i wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I thought it would be fun to add your own mysterious connections in mystery books.

I was reading two books at the same time and one referenced the author of the other book.

While reading Agatha Christie's The Moving Finger, I found it was written in 1942, during the second world war.

The other book I was reading was Blackout by Connie Willis, a time travel story set during World War II. Blackout's characters remarked about Agatha Christie working in a hospital and being in London during the Blitz.

What are your mysterious connections?   :smileyhappy:

Optic

The Moving Finger (Miss Marple Series)

Blackout

Oh, this is a FABULOUS idea! I'll have to think about this a bit...

Scribe
optic_i
0 Kudos

Hi Becke,

Another mysterious connection  !  in the book Blackout, was a reference to the actor Michael Caine who was evacuated from South London during World War II as a child to North Runcton, near King's Lynn in Norfork.

In 2006 Michael Caine appeared in Children of Men the movie, based on a book by PD James. He also starred in Without a Clue, portraying Sherlock Holmes.

Also, Michael Caine was Knighted by Queen Elizabeth the 2nd in 2000.   :smileyhappy:

Optic

Blackout  

The Children of Men

Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

All of the Death on Demand series, by Carolyn Hart, mention many other mysteries and authors.  The protagonist, Annie Darling, runs a mystery bookstore, so there are a lot of references to books she's just gotten in or sold.  She also has a coffee bar in the store, with mugs that all have names of different mysteries on them, so whenever someone has a cup, it is mentioned what mystery they have.  And at the beginning of every book, she commissions four (or is it five) paintings that depict scenes from different mysteries.  She has a contest for who can guess all the books, so they are not revealed until the end, so the reader can play along.  In the novel that drew me into the series, The Christie Caper, there is a tough Agatha Christie trivia quiz that the reader can play along with, also.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
becke_davis
0 Kudos

optic_i wrote:

Hi Becke,

Another mysterious connection  !  in the book Blackout, was a reference to the actor Michael Caine who was evacuated from South London during World War II as a child to North Runcton, near King's Lynn in Norfork.

In 2006 Michael Caine appeared in Children of Men the movie, based on a book by PD James. He also starred in Without a Clue, portraying Sherlock Holmes.

Also, Michael Caine was Knighted by Queen Elizabeth the 2nd in 2000.   :smileyhappy:

Optic

Blackout  

The Children of Men

These are great - keep them coming!

Scribe
optic_i
0 Kudos

Hi Dulcinea & Becke,

Here are couple more mysterious connections between PD James and Agatha Christie.

Dulcinea, I'll be reading the series, Death on Demand. Thank you ! for pointing it out. It sounds fascinating with all the background information about the authors and their stories.

I also found this book, Time to be Earnest, by PD James, one of my favorite mystery authors, who recalls in this biography, the worst of the Doodlebug bombardment in London during World War II.   :smileyhappy:

Optic

The Christie Caper (Death on Demand Series #7)

Time to Be in Earnest

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Optic - You are definitely on a roll. I love these connections!

Scribe
optic_i
0 Kudos

An interesting thing about some of Stephen King's books is that his characters can meet each other in different series of his books.

In the final two books of the Dark Tower series, King actually appears as a character himself in the story. Although he doesn't appear as a character until Song of Susannah, he is alluded to as early as The Drawing of the Three, when Eddie recalls having seen The Shining in movie theaters.

Also, in the fifth book, Wolves of the Calla, the other characters learn of his existence when Roland comes across a copy of King's Salem's Lot.

Many elements of Stephen King's real life are presented through his character, such as his near-fatal 1999 accident.   :smileyhappy:

Optic

The Gunslinger Born (Dark Tower Graphic Novel Series #1)

The Dark Tower II

The Waste Lands

The Dark Tower IV

The Dark Tower V

The Dark Tower VI

The Dark Tower VII

Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991
0 Kudos

Interesting hee hee hee. Keep going!
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

Book Sharks: No need to breathe, just read!
becke_davis
0 Kudos

optic_i wrote:

An interesting thing about some of Stephen King's books is that his characters can meet each other in different series of his books.

In the final two books of the Dark Tower series, King actually appears as a character himself in the story. Although he doesn't appear as a character until Song of Susannah, he is alluded to as early as The Drawing of the Three, when Eddie recalls having seen The Shining in movie theaters.

Also, in the fifth book, Wolves of the Calla, the other characters learn of his existence when Roland comes across a copy of King's Salem's Lot.

Many elements of Stephen King's real life are presented through his character, such as his near-fatal 1999 accident.   :smileyhappy:

Optic

The Gunslinger Born (Dark Tower Graphic Novel Series #1)

The Dark Tower II

The Waste Lands

The Dark Tower IV

The Dark Tower V

The Dark Tower VI

The Dark Tower VII

smiley msn emoticon bravo clap clapping

Scribe
optic_i
0 Kudos

Another mysterious connection !

Stephen Hawking's distinctive appearance, voice, and popularity have caused him to be represented in the popular culture. He's made appearances on many popular television shows and cartoons, and been featured in a number of books.   :smileyhappy:

Optic

Ancient Shores by Jack McDevitt. In this science fiction novel,Hawking is one of several luminaries who are heroes of the climax of the novel.

The Hyperion Series by Dan Simmons. Hawking's name appears under terms such as the Hawking drive, the name of the Hegemony frigate HSS Stephen Hawking, and Hawking Missiles, Missiles equipped with their own Hawking Drive.

The Coming of the Quantum Cats by Frederik Pohl. Several Hawkings from different alternate universes (in varying states of health) make a cameo appearance in this science fiction novel.

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safron Foer. The main character, nine-year-old Oskar Schell, writes letters to Stephen Hawking frequently and once even receives a letter by Hawking that is addressed directly to him.

Ancient Shores

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close (Movie Tie-in Edition)

The Coming of the Quantum Cats

Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991
0 Kudos

Interesting! :smileyhappy: I like that one.
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

Book Sharks: No need to breathe, just read!
Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Here's another mysterious connection.

In the book I'm reading right now, File M for Murder, by Miranda James,  Charlie Harris thinks about himself and his son Sean as follows:

"If I fancied myself as Holmes, Sean certainly made a more than competent Watson. More like Nero and Archie, I thought ruefully, as I patted my stomach. I wasn't anywhere near a seventh of a ton like Nero, but that was only because of concerted effort on my part" (p. 199).:smileylol:

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

That reminds me of Agatha Christie's Partners in Crime, in which Tommy and Tuppence solve mysteries in the style of various fictional detectives they have read about, including Hercule Poirot!  I have to admit that I have not heard of many of them.

From wikipedia:

The stories and their detective parodies

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
becke_davis
0 Kudos

I love all these connections! I remember I was rereading an Agatha Christie on 9/11/2001, trying to get my mind off the tragedy. I randomly picked up one of her books (don't remember which one), and it gave me chills when her character mentioned the date: September 11.

Scribe
optic_i
0 Kudos

Hi everyone ! 

Iam loving these mysterious connections ! 

Becke your 9 11  story about the Agatha Christie book that had the date set in the book as 9 11. While you were reading it on the day of the terrorists attack on 9 11 01.  WOW . what are the odds of that happening ?    :smileysurprised: 

Optic 

becke_davis
0 Kudos

optic_i wrote:

Hi everyone ! 

Becke your 9 11  story about the Agatha Christie book that had the date set in the book as 9 11. While you were reading it on the day of the terrorists attack on 9 11 01.  WOW . what are the odds of that happening ?    :smileysurprised: 

Optic 

I've had that happen a lot - I'll be reading a book that features an important date or mentions a specific date, and it will turn out to be the date I'm reading it.

*cue Twilight Zone music*

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

optic_i wrote:

Hi everyone ! 

Optic 

I've had that happen a lot - I'll be reading a book that features an important date or mentions a specific date, and it will turn out to be the date I'm reading it.

Hmmmmm. Highly suspicious, that. As Leonard Hofsteader says to Sheldon Cooper on "The Big Bang Theory", " Are you sure you're not a robot?" Heh,heh.

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
Scribe
optic_i
0 Kudos

Fricka wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

optic_i wrote:

Hi everyone ! 

Optic 

Hmmmmm. Highly suspicious, that. As Leonard Hofsteader says to Sheldon Cooper on "The Big Bang Theory", " Are you sure you're not a robot?" Heh,heh.

Or 

She has her own time machine !  :smileyhappy:  Optic  

Can I borrow it  some time ?

becke_davis
0 Kudos

optic_i wrote:

Fricka wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

optic_i wrote:

Hi everyone ! 

Optic 

Or 

She has her own time machine !  :smileyhappy:  Optic  

Can I borrow it  some time ?

Shhhhh! It's a secret!