Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: Mystery Genres: Noir, Cozy, "Literary" and more

becke_davis wrote:

What about true crime? Anyone read that? Occasionally a true crime book will catch my eye, but I don't really seek them out.

It has to be put in the form of a really great novel for me to enjoy true crime, I read to escape. If I want true crime I'll read the newspaper.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Vermontcozy wrote:
Plum Island  
becke_davis wrote:

What about true crime? Anyone read that? Occasionally a true crime book will catch my eye, but I don't really seek them out.

Vtc wrote..At work but just saw your post..PaulH,pen21 ,TiggerBear..all know the good ones..I like maybe,could be a version of a True Crime..All of Nelson DeMille,he is mild,could've happened.. "The Generals Daughter" excellent...Movie was not bad....If you have never read any of his books,'I would start with "Plum Island..Have you ever read any Jonathan Kellerman,or Faye Kellerman,His wife.Very additive...P.S. We are keeping "The Ship" yellow as you posted,in for repairs now..Will keep this going on in the 'What are you Watching Thread." Will you be 'The Agent" who books Authors,,we need 10.,.Cyber Party soon..Thank you Becke for being On Board..Vtc..Silly Aren't we'' Phones ringing..Bye.

Speaking of Jonathan Kellerman, he's going to be visiting with us the second half of April!

Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
0 Kudos

Here are 2 books I thought of. I know I have read more.

Based on a true crime, Bury Me Deep.  Paul H had recommended.

I thought it was excellent.

Bury Me Deep

Another one based on an unsolved crime, is Tarnished Eye, by Judith Guest.

Judith Guest is a beautiful writer. Her descriptions are top of the line.

Tarnished Eye

becke_davis wrote:

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Summer, every summer. The hotter it gets the hmm well pulpier the books I read. And true crime is just soo "beach read" for me.

I think it's an off shot of the camping grounds up at Lake Gaston. No library anywhere near, sooner or later during the week I run beyond the 2 books I was allowed to bring, and all the corner store had were hair mags, true crime mags, boat mags, true crime novels, and super pink romance novels. Being of the super fair skinned sect, long hours during the day meant a lot of vacation spent reading; and being a tomboy. Well.. had to have something to read.

On the upside. Those super pulpy true crime mags. While very sensationalist get really into the aspects of what going to be on 20/20, Dateline, and the like 3 months from now.

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Becke..Jonathan Kellerman here.!!.I am so glad.!!!.Wonderful Author..Must look at his new books..its been a whike..I read all the oldies..Their son is also a writer. Last book I read of J.Kellerman,I have it written in my book.is "Therapy" I have it on my bookshelf.,along side  some of Faye's..Looking forward to that...Best..Vtc..Susan  .

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Yes, it's going to be an exciting month - Michael Palmer will be here the first part of April and Jonathan Kellerman will join us in the second half of the month.

Inspired Wordsmith
basson_mommy12
0 Kudos

The only true crime I think I've read is

The Devil in the White City  and I loved it!

"The Answer to the Great Question of ... Life, the Universe and Everything ... (is) 42." -- Douglas Adams' "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Ruth W.
Grand Rapids, MI
becke_davis
0 Kudos

That book is a favorite of mine, too!

Contributor
goodcupateaRR
0 Kudos

Becke, thank you for the list of cozy mystery links on page 1.  I am always looking for new authors and so please everyone leave your favorites here so I can check them out too!  I actually love all types of mysteries, funny, light, cozy, dark, all are interesting to me especially if they are set in the late 1900's Victorian era in London.

A comfy chair, a good read and a hot cup a tea.
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Mrs. Jeffries Learns the Trade (Mrs. Jeffries Series #1-3)

Reader 2
Audrey2
0 Kudos

Books by the now deceased Philip Craig located on Martha's Vineyard could sort of be considered cozies. The protagonist is a man.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I like those books, Audrey, and I'd consider them cozies, too.

Author
R_E_Conary
0 Kudos

becke davis wrote:

The Stranger Beside Me 

This has been sitting on my shelf for several months, but books by Iain Pears, J.A.Jance, Jeffery Deaver, Sam Millar, Ken Bruen, and dozens of others keep getting in the way. 

becke_davis
0 Kudos

R_E_Conary wrote:

becke davis wrote:

The Stranger Beside Me 

This has been sitting on my shelf for several months, but books by Iain Pears, J.A.Jance, Jeffery Deaver, Sam Millar, Ken Bruen, and dozens of others keep getting in the way. 

I'd forgotten about that one - I read it when it first came out. Fascinating in a scary way!

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

R_E_Conary wrote:

becke davis wrote:

The Stranger Beside Me 

I'd forgotten about that one - I read it when it first came out. Fascinating in a scary way!

Is it wrong of me to say that is her best book? Not that she's a bad author. But personal experiance really made a difference.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I haven't read a lot of her books, so I can't compare.

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

A Comment from Susan Vtc/Suze 

becke_davis wrote:

Hi Becke.My name is Susan Vermontcozy,   ;  )and I am Posting a Comment here according to  your Blog Rules..I am excited to win,and read a New Cozy..I have one in mind.Thank you,.Susan/Suze..

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Vermontcozy wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

Hi Becke.My name is Susan Vermontcozy,   ;  )and I am Posting a Comment here according to  your Blog Rules..I am excited to win,and read a New Cozy..I have one in mind.Thank you,.Susan/Suze..

Haha, Susan, like I don't know who you are. Yep, you're in the drawing. So far it's just you and Debbie, but we've got all month.

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Vermontcozy wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

Haha, Susan, like I don't know who you are. Yep, you're in the drawing. So far it's just you and Debbie, but we've got all month.

B..We always want to Chuckle,and Great Drawing BTW..Thanks..Suze