Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Mystery Recommendations for Young Readers (Children, Young Adult, any age)

We've talked about the books that got us started in another thread, but I think we need a separate thread on this topic.  This way, if someone is looking for a gift for a young reader, they can come here to see what we've been recommending.

I'll start with this series, that my son loved when he was young.  I don't think this list is complete, but it gives you a lot to choose from:

Nate the Great, San Francisco Detective   Nate the Great and the Stolen Base (Nate the Great Series)   Nate the Great Goes Undercover (Nate the Great Series)   Nate the Great (Nate the Great Series)   Nate the Great and the Sticky Case (Nate the Great Series)   Nate the Great and the Halloween Hunt (Nate the Great Series)   Nate the Great and the Crunchy Christmas (Nate the Great Series)   Nate the Great on the Owl Express (Nate the Great Series)   Nate the Great and the Boring Beach Bag (Nate the Great Series)   Nate the Great and the Mushy Valentine (Nate the Great Series)   Nate the Great and the Lost List (Nate the Great Series)   Nate the Great and the Musical Note (Nate the Great Series)   Nate the Great Stalks Stupidweed (Nate the Great Series)   Nate the Great Talks Turkey (Nate the Great Series)   Nate the Great and the Snowy Trail (Nate the Great Series)   Nate the Great and the Missing Key (Nate the Great Series)   Nate the Great and the Fishy Prize (Nate the Great Series)   Nate the Great Saves the King of Sweden (Nate the Great Series)   Nate the Great and Me   Nate the Great and the Tardy Tortoise (Nate the Great Series)  

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Mystery Recommendations for Young Readers (Children, Young Adult, any age)

While I started out with Nancy Drew, Beverly Gray, Cherry Ames, the Hardy Boys and Trixie Belden, my daughter's love of mysteries came from these books.  I met Lois Duncan when I was a child (she was a friend and neighbor of my aunt), so I was thrilled that my daughter liked her books as much as I did!

She wrote other books, too:  Season of the Two-Heart, which I believe is out of print, included my cousin as one of the characters!  I got an autographed copy of that book for my birthday when I was about twelve.

I'd like to point out that a couple of Lois Duncan's books were made into pretty bad movies.  The books are much better.

Sadly, one of Lois' books is non-fiction.  It tells about her (futile) search for the person who murdered one of her daughters in a drive-by shooting.  She hasn't written much since then.

Who Killed My Daughter?  

Killing Mr. Griffin   Down a Dark Hall   Stranger with My Face   Locked in Time   I Know What You Did Last Summer   Ransom   The Third Eye   Gallows Hill   They Never Came Home   Summer of Fear   Daughters of Eve   The Twisted Window   A Gift of Magic  

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Mystery author Hank Phillippi-Ryan recommended this series on another thread.  I'm definitely going to read these!

Down the Rabbit Hole (Echo Falls Series #1)   Behind the Curtain (Echo Falls Series #2)   Into the Dark (Echo Falls Series #3)  

becke_davis
0 Kudos

These books were a favorite of my son's.  They aren't exactly mysteries, but they all have a twist at the end.

Alistair and the Alien Invasion   Alistair in Outer Space   Alistair Underwater   Alistair's Elephant   Alistair's Time Machine  

becke_davis
0 Kudos

My daughter's best friend got hooked on these forensic mysteries that are aimed at a young adult audience.  I've read most of these, and they were very good.  Definitely dark, though, not for younger teens.

Body Bags (Body of Evidence Series #1)   Thief of Hearts (Body of Evidence Series #2)   Soul Survivor (Body of Evidence Series #3)   Meets the Eye (Body of Evidence Series #4)   Head Games (Body of Evidence Series #5)   Skin Deep, Vol. 6   Burning Bones   Brain Trust, Vol. 8   Last Breath (Body of Evidence Series)   Throat Culture (Body of Evidence Series)  

Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Thinking back to when I was in grade school, I read the usual series, that I've mentioned elsewhere, like The Bobbsey Twins, Nancy Drew, and Trixie Belden (I was given two of her books second-hand; I never read the whole series.

The Bobbsey Twins of Lakeport (The Bobbsey Twins Series #1) 

Secret of the Old Clock (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories Series #1), Vol. 1  

The Secret of the Mansion (Trixie Belden #1) 

I never read The Hardy Boys, but I think my brother had a couple.

The Tower Treasure (Hardy Boys Mystery Stories Series #1)  

From the Mixed-up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler  

Wrinkle in Time  

Sorry, I couldn't get another line for writing in between the books, but I think that the above two Newbery Medal winners would also classify as mysteries.  A Wrinkle in Time is also fantasy, but they are trying to solve a disappearance.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
becke_davis
0 Kudos
becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I only read one of these but it was very good:

Chasing Vermeer   Wright 3   Calder Game     Enigma Vermeer  (This is the Spanish language version of Chasing Vermeer)

Message Edited by becke_davis on 03-11-2009 04:55 PM
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Ok Bunnicula? That I'm going to check out.
Author
Hank_Phillippi_Ryan
0 Kudos

Oh, Becke. Nate the Great sounds wonderful, and I'm sure Eli will love the series. Thanks!

My grandson is six, and already madly reading (and loving) the Edward Eager books, Knight's Castle, Magic or Not, and several more. They're mysteries in the Lion-Witch-Wardrobe tradition, about a group of siblings pulling together to solve a mystery. The Eager books, which I remember reading as a kid, are clever and witty and out of the box.

Anyone read or remember Diamond in the Window, by Jane Langton?  One of the most pivotal books of my childhood. When I actually met (and had a signing with!) Jane last year, I could barely contain my glee at getting to talk with her and tell her how much she'd changed my life. I was completely starstruck.

And was there--oh, yes, I remember now. Donna Parker. She was maybe--the student council president? Of a high school? Something like that?  Out at the same time as Cherry Ames, student nurse. And Vicki Barr, flight attendant. I'm smiling even as I type this!

Hank

Hank Phillippi Ryan

http://www.hankphillippiryan.com

Hank
http://www.HankPhillippiRyan.com
watch for THE OTHER WOMAN coming in 2012
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Hank - My son was slower to get into reading than my daughter, so I was thrilled when he loved the Boxcar Children, the Alistair books and then Nate the Great.  He was also fascinated with magic, and there was a book about Houdini he loved.  Around this time -- I think he was in fourth grade -- he wrote a mystery of his own and illustrated with clip art.  I still have it -- he graduates from college this year, but I'll never forget that story!

I was hooked on Nancy Drew at an early age, but I remember the first mystery I ever read was a Weekly Reader book called The Secret of the Old Post Box.  I know it's available secondhand, I think I'll pick up a copy of it, since my copy vanished long ago.

My mom gave me a big set of books she had loved as a teenager: The Beverly Gray series by Clair Blank.  Here's a link: http://www.series-books.com/beverlygray/beverlygray.html 

She also gave me her old Judy Bolton books, which are apparently going to be reprinted in paperback.  (They were dated when I read them, but now they might be so old, they're in fashion again.)  http://www.judybolton.com/ 

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I don't know if you'd consider this a mystery, exactly, but it was the first book that made me cry, and it was the same when  my son read it.  That was during the period when reading was hard for him, so we read it out loud, alternating chapters.  I knew when the tear-jerker scene was coming, and I waited with bated breath to see how he'd react.

He turned the page, started to read, then came to a dead stop.  Then he ran to the bathroom, and came out a few minutes later with his eyes all red.  We both still love this book: 

Island of the Blue Dolphins   

Frequent Contributor
ms_linda
0 Kudos

Judy Bolton was my favorite. My mom used to find old mysteries at thirift stores and my sister and I loved them more than the current books at the time. We read Nancy Drew, Dana Girls, Beverly Grey too. I also loved the Edgar Eager books (Half Magic, Magic by the Lake etc) , Madeline L'Engle and Zilpha Keatly Snyder (The Headless Cupid, The Egypt Game). And then of course The Mixed up Files of Mrs. Basil E Frankweiler (I hope I'm getting these right they kep popping into my head!)
becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

The thing I liked best with the Judy Bolton and Nancy Drew books was that they were so evocative: I can remember the way they made me felt, even if I can't remember the details of each story.  With Nancy Drew, it was partly the use of words I was unfamiliar with, and partly the fantastic titles, that seemed to be like keys to hidden treasures.  I don't remember the plots, but I loved titles like The Secret of the Old Post Box, The Sign of the Twisted Candles, The Bungalow Mystery (I had no idea what a bungalow was, but I loved the sound of it), The Hidden Staircase, The Mystery at Lilac Inn, The Clue of the Leaning Chimney, The Clue in the Diary, The Password to Larkspur Lane, The Clue of the Broken Locket...so many memories!

My favorite editions were the green cloth-covered Grosset and Dunlap editions and the blue tweedy fabric covered editions.  Both of those had silhouette-style illustrations and a few ink drawings (and the occasional colored illustration) inside the books.

I was the oldest of five kids and we didn't have a lot of money, so, except for a few Nancy Drew books my aunt gave me, I read most of mine at the library.  We moved to Elk Grove Village, north of Chicago, when it was mainly cornfields, and for a long time the library was housed in a ranch house, formerly a Centex model home, behind the Ben Franklin by the bowling alley. I remember going there first when I was about 9, and being absolutely awed by the sight of all those books.  I was struck silent, and any of you who know me will understand how rare that was.  

The first book I remember checking out was a Nancy Drew that took place on the bayou.  Again, I had no clue what a bayou was, but it instantly sucked me into a strange and exciting world.  I think the book might have been The Haunted Showboat, or The Moss-Covered Mansion -- not sure.  Sadly, I reread a couple of those old favorites awhile back and was shocked at a lot of the content.  I don't reread them anymore -- I'd rather preserve my memories.

Message Edited by becke_davis on 03-14-2009 07:36 PM
Author
Hank_Phillippi_Ryan
0 Kudos

Yes, Becke, I agree. I fear the Nancy Drews--the original ones--don't hold up on re-reading. Shows how the world has changed.

And I'm with ya--we'll just remember how we felt about them all those years ago. 

Interestingly, there are new and updated versions now--Nancy has--yikes--a cell phone! Anyone read those?

And oh! My grandson Eli called yesterday--he's powered through The Case of the Absent Author, and is now deep into the Bald Bandit. And, had to share: as part of our "book club" I also sent him his first dictionary. So his mother told me that he had asked her the other day how to spell "squirrel." So she told him--it begins s-q. Why don't you look it up in your dictionary?  

And he did. And found it. And that was his very first use of a dictionary.  Ah. Gives me chills.

Hank

http://www.hankphillippiryan.com.

Hank
http://www.HankPhillippiRyan.com
watch for THE OTHER WOMAN coming in 2012
becke_davis
0 Kudos

That is so cool!  I firmly believe every kid should have a dictionary.  The illustrated ones are interesting even to younger kids.
becke_davis
0 Kudos

This was one of my favorite books as a child.  It's out of print, but it's a wonderful story.  Later, it was made into a Disney movie called The Horse Without A Head.

Contributor
GioPago
0 Kudos

s

SNOOPS, CLUES & BOOS 

A funny mystery bed time story for children between the ages of six and twelve years of age. Join Erick and his two little pint sized super snoop cousins, Marcus and Morris the Eve of Halloween night as they search for clues to debunk or prove the rumor that new tenant Dr. Hans Craver snatches little children to steal their hands and fingers to replace his hook hand. Together as things go bump and coo-coo throughout the night, the cousins have one scare after frightening scare as they try to solve the rumored mystery of what happened to Bobby and Sam. Did Dr. Carver really steal their hands for his own evil purposes? Or can you really believe in rumors? 

becke_davis
0 Kudos

GioPago wrote:

s

SNOOPS, CLUES & BOOS 

A funny mystery bed time story for children between the ages of six and twelve years of age. Join Erick and his two little pint sized super snoop cousins, Marcus and Morris the Eve of Halloween night as they search for clues to debunk or prove the rumor that new tenant Dr. Hans Craver snatches little children to steal their hands and fingers to replace his hook hand. Together as things go bump and coo-coo throughout the night, the cousins have one scare after frightening scare as they try to solve the rumored mystery of what happened to Bobby and Sam. Did Dr. Carver really steal their hands for his own evil purposes? Or can you really believe in rumors? 

Thanks for joining us!

Contributor
GioPago
0 Kudos

Thanks for creating this blog. I was wondering where to post my book that is geared towards young children... I was even wondering if parents even bought eBooks for children under twelve.  This forum and even the other forums that are dedicated to becoming Kids Nook, was very helpful and encouraging.  Thanks again. :smileyhappy: