Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
MarshaVA
0 Kudos

Mystery, Romance and laughs....HELP!!!!

PLEASE someone help.... I am an avid reader and have read every Sandra Brown, Nora Roberts, Heather Graham, Mary Kay Andrews, Stephanie Bond, Lisa Jackson and Susan Donovan book available.I love each of their books and tend to lean toward female authors and love the southern settings. I recently read all of the Jana DeLeon books and truly loved the Mudbug series...I am looking to find some additional authors with her style (I have even contacted her for her suggestions but have read all of them)...I want some good reading....to laugh out loud, to feel the suspense, a dash of romance etc.

I have been to every search engine and have been disappointed not to mention I am still on the search. Any suggestions would be great...Mystery, suspense, romance, laughs, southern flare and even some paranormal would be great ( I have read all of C. Harris as well but find I am really not that into the vampire and werewolf craze)

If you know of an author that fits the bill please let me know.

Marsha
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Mystery, Romance and laughs....HELP!!!!

MarshaVA wrote:

PLEASE someone help.... I am an avid reader and have read every Sandra Brown, Nora Roberts, Heather Graham, Mary Kay Andrews, Stephanie Bond, Lisa Jackson and Susan Donovan book available.I love each of their books and tend to lean toward female authors and love the southern settings. I recently read all of the Jana DeLeon books and truly loved the Mudbug series...I am looking to find some additional authors with her style (I have even contacted her for her suggestions but have read all of them)...I want some good reading....to laugh out loud, to feel the suspense, a dash of romance etc.

I have been to every search engine and have been disappointed not to mention I am still on the search. Any suggestions would be great...Mystery, suspense, romance, laughs, southern flare and even some paranormal would be great ( I have read all of C. Harris as well but find I am really not that into the vampire and werewolf craze)

If you know of an author that fits the bill please let me know.

Hi Marsha - Have you read anything by Sophie Littlefield? Her books have a delicious amount of snark, but the mysteries are actually pretty dark. Her heroine is feisty and tough - she's not one to mess with.

A Bad Day for Scandal (Stella Hardesty Series #3) 

A Bad Day for Pretty (Stella Hardesty Series #2) 

A Bad Day for Sorry (Stella Hardesty Series #1)    

becke_davis
0 Kudos
New User
MarshaVA
0 Kudos

Re: More suggestions...

Thanks for the suggestion, I have to agree with you she is one of my favorites and I have them all both in hardcover and on my NOOK :-) I have even been to several of the locations she uses.

Marsha
New User
MarshaVA
0 Kudos

Sounds great, I think I will be trying one tonight. Thanks

Marsha
becke_davis
0 Kudos

MarshaVA wrote:

Sounds great, I think I will be trying one tonight. Thanks

Hopefully more people will add their recommendations, too!

dhaupt
0 Kudos
Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Death on Demand (Death on Demand Series #1)  

Hi.  I haven't read the authors you mention (although I did just read The Fixer Upper by Mary Kay Andrews, which wasn't a mystery, but was a lot of fun), but I wonder if you would like the Death on Demand series by Carolyn Hart.  It is set on a small island off of South Carolina, and its heroine inherited a mystery book store.  There is a lot of humor, and the relationship between Annie and Max is rather romantic.  They are not married yet in the first book, and I don't remember how soon they did get married, but they are very much in love.  There are a number of quirky regular characters.  I love Max' mother Laurel (Dempsey's mother Lynda in The Fixer Upper reminded me a bit of her).  As for paranormal, Carolyn Hart has a new series in which the sleuth is a feisty ghost, but I haven't read them yet and don't know where they are set.  Most of the other series I follow take place in England, but this one sprang to mind when you mentioned the South..

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Distinguished Correspondent
1AnneB
0 Kudos

Truly, Madly (Lucy Valentine Series #1) 

Deeply, Desperately (Lucy Valentine Series #2) 

Absolutely, Positively (Lucy Valentine Series #3)    

Hi MarshaVA - How about Heather Webber - She has a series with Lucy Valentine as the main character. They are quirky and fun. Happy Reading...

Anne

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Great suggestions!

Inspired Contributor
leisure_reader
0 Kudos

I enjoyed this one on New Years Day.  It was a quick "who done it" with laughs and believe it or not-craft patterns and ideas.  Lois is bloggin this week too.

Also-Dennis Swanson who has also blogged here.  Home town, and home spun

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
- Eleanor Roosevelt

Author
BearMountainBooks-Maria
0 Kudos

Becke, quit hogging all the suggestions!!!  :smileywink: 

How about

Take the Monkeys and Run    Also on Nook and a lot cheaper if you have a Nook.  Pretty hilarious stuff.

Let's see, have you read Elizabeth Peters Vicky Bliss Series??

Awesome stuff! 

Borrower of the Night (Vicky Bliss Series #1)  is the first and it's hilarious.  LOVE this series.  LOVE IT.

Southern:  Anne George.  GIrls Night out is the first

Carolyn Haines has an awesome series out as well (Southern) with a ghost!  I loved the first three.

Maria

Maria Schneider - My Nook Books
becke_davis
0 Kudos

LOL - it's an addiction with me!

Distinguished Correspondent
Beachgirl75
0 Kudos

I didn't see Janet Evanovich listed. I know she's not southern, but she's very funny.

I used to be Snow White, but I drifted.