becke_davis
0 Kudos

Mystery in May

[ Edited ]

The Mystery book club welcomes Samantha Graves as she joins us to chat about her latest book Out of Time. The club will also read Her Royal Spynessby Rhys Bowen.

And best of all, both of these authors will be visiting with us!

Speaking of visiting authors, I know some of you are reading THE BIG DIRT NAP.  Be sure to post your questions or comments for Rosemary Harris while she is still visiting with us.

More on our May selections soon! 

Out of Time   Her Royal Spyness  

Message Edited by becke_davis on 04-22-2009 06:39 PM
Inspired Correspondent
Immortal-Spirit
0 Kudos

Re: Mystery in May

Will both books be read?  Won't that be kind of confusing? 
becke_davis
0 Kudos

This board doesn't operate like a traditional book club.  I try to come up with a variety of featured books, and this year, for the first time, I have made a point of selecting books where the authors have agreed to visit, too.

Since the books aren't required reading -- more, recommendations -- board participants can choose to read either or both or, if the books aren't to their taste, they may just opt out.  

When I've posted book club type questions in the past, there hasn't been much participation.  However, Samantha Graves has some pre-prepared questions designed for book club use, so I will be posting those for anyone who is more comfortable with that format.

Because Rhys Bowen will be on the road the first part of May, Samantha Graves will be visiting the weeks of May 4 and May 11, and Rhys Bowen will be visiting the weeks of May 18 and May 25.

And, as you may have noticed, we also have Kate Summerscale visiting this week to talk about her award-winning true crime book, THE SUSPICIONS OF MR. WHICHER. 

Scribe
debbook
0 Kudos

I look forward to Her Royal Spyness. That came up as a recommendation after I bought Silent in the Grave, which I loved.
A room without books is like a body without a soul.~ Cicero...
"bookmagic418.blogspot.com
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Scribe
debbook
0 Kudos

Oh my, those could keep me busy for quite a while!
becke_davis
0 Kudos

I've read ALL of her Evan books, and loved them (I've been to Wales many times; it's one of my favorite places), but I've only read the first book in the Molly Murphy series. (I liked it, just haven't had time to read the rest.)  I think those are considered best sellers, while the Evan books aren't as well known.
becke_davis
0 Kudos

By the way, Samantha Graves also writes as C.J Barry:

Unleashed   Unraveled   Unchained   Unmasked  

Scribe
debbook
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Those definitely don't look like my type of book! I think I'll start with the Rhys Bowen ones

Message Edited by debbook on 04-29-2009 09:39 PM
becke_davis
0 Kudos

You might find Sam's romantic suspense books more up your alley.  They are really good!

Out of Time   Sight Unseen  

Scribe
debbook
0 Kudos

Those look more my type, no bodice rippers,lol

becke_davis wrote:

You might find Sam's romantic suspense books more up your alley.  They are really good!

Out of Time  Sight Unseen  

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Deb - I haven't read her other books but I think they are more along the lines of paranormal, sci fi, urban fantasy.
Scribe
debbook
0 Kudos

I'm really enjoying Her Royal Spyness, though I should have started Out of Time first since she will be on the boards earlier. Oh well I can read mysteries quickly

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Here's a link to a video trailer for OUT OF TIME:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsuqWUQcSeg

And here's a trailer for her other book, SIGHT UNSEEN:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yva5w3JFuzc 

Author
Samantha_Graves
0 Kudos

Good morning everyone!  It's wonderful to be here.  I look forward to chatting with you all. If you have any questions about OUT OF TIME or any of my other books as Samantha Graves or CJ Barry, please feel free to post.  Like most other writers, I live on the internet.  :smileyhappy:

Just an update on OUT OF TIME.  OUT OF TIME by Samantha Graves is a finalist in the Contemporary Single Title category of the 2009 Romance Writers of America® RITA® Awards!  Very exciting. 

I will be at the RWA National conference in Washington DC on July 15th signing both of my Samantha Graves books at the public booksigning at the Marriott Wardman Park Hotel.  If you live in DC, it's a great way to meet your favorite authors.  Over 400 authors will be on hand and all proceeds from book sales go to literacy.  More about the signing.

Samantha

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I'll post more about this closer to the time, but we will also have a Visiting Tuesday Author with us on May 26: Beth Groundwater.

A Real Basket Case   To Hell in a Handbasket  

Frequent Contributor
Clea_Simon
0 Kudos

I'm already familiar with Rhys's work and can highly recommend it (a good thing, I guess, since May is almost done). But I don't know Samantha Graves, so I'm happy to have the recommendation.

Becke - I'm curious how you choose your discussion books. I've got the first book in a new series ("Shades of Grey") out from Severn House in September - and the fourth book in my Theda Krakow series, "Probable Claws," pubbed in April (Poisoned Pen). 

"Probable Claws," April '09
"Shades of Grey," Sept. '09
http://www.cleasimon.com
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Clea_Simon wrote:

I'm already familiar with Rhys's work and can highly recommend it (a good thing, I guess, since May is almost done). But I don't know Samantha Graves, so I'm happy to have the recommendation.

Becke - I'm curious how you choose your discussion books. I've got the first book in a new series ("Shades of Grey") out from Severn House in September - and the fourth book in my Theda Krakow series, "Probable Claws," pubbed in April (Poisoned Pen). 

Since my response was long and complicated, I sent it to you as a personal message.

becke_davis
0 Kudos