Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
demonwitch
0 Kudos

Mystery

My favorite detective is Hurcualy Jones. She's a detective that finds dead bodies and puts the puzzles pieces together to find the murderer. Who's your favorite detective and who writes there story?
Inspired Correspondent
tabcat
0 Kudos

Re: Mystery

I've read all of the "alphabet" series by Sue Grafton and I'd have to say Kinsey Milhone, PI  is one of my all time favorites.

I've always like the amateur sleuths the best though...maybe because of all the Nancy Drew, Dana Girls etc. I read growing up.  I just finished The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie and know that Flavia DeLuce (11yrs) is going to be one of my new favorites.  I'm already looking foward to the next in the series.

Tcat 

The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie 

becke_davis

dhaupt
0 Kudos

I have lots of favorites from Michael Connelley's Harry Bosch, to John Sandford's Lucas Davenport and believe me I could go on and on, but at the very top of my list is Deborah Crombie's Duncan Kincaid and Jemma Jones.
Frequent Contributor
Nat-the-Cat
0 Kudos

I'm still Kind of a mystery Newbie but my Favorite mystery Solvers so far have to be: Stephanie Plum, Clare Fergusson ( From In the Bleak Midwinter ) and Clarisse Starling. I read all the Thomas Harris books when I was in Highschool and Clarisse Starling became one of my favorite Heroines.
Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

It's a difficult choice!  Putting aside the really classic sleuths, like Sherlock Holmes, Christie's various sleuths, Roderick Alleyn, etc., I suppose I would choose Amelia Peabody, the feminist Victorian Egyptologist from Elizabeth Peters' series.  Amelia is feisty, smart, humorous, fearless, and a bit egotistical.  She always has to try to take credit for every successful theory!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Lots of great recommendations here! Two authors I like a lot haven't been mentioned: Ian Rankin and Dick Francis. Also, Ruth Rendell, Jill McGown, Lee Child, David Baldacci, Robert B. Parker, Alexander McCall Smith, and so on.
Contributor
PhilsFolly
0 Kudos

If I may, I would like to add two of my favorite authors who I haven't seen mentioned. Cara Black's series features detective Aimee Leduc in a mix of murder, French cuisine, fashion, and the familiar streets of Paris. She is the great contemporary female sleuth.  

Iain Pears' series features an art historian (Jonathan Argyll) and a member of Rome's Art Theft Squad (Flavia di Stefano) in solving murders and cases of art theft/fraud. Kirkus Reviews called the novels "A deliciously literate series." It's great fun getting a quick fix of art history while enjoying Pears' narrative that has been described as having a "Beerbohm-like wit."

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I've read Iain Pears but not Cara Black -- thanks for the suggestion!
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Other than the obvious choices of Hercule Poirot and Jane Marple both of who are Agatha Christie characters.

I would need to add Joseph Hansen's Dave Brandstetter, Michael Nava's Henry Rios, Tom Mason, Scott Carpenter, and Paul Turner all three by Mark Richard Zubro, Grant Michael's Stan Kraychik, and Donald Strachey by Richard Stevenson.  I devoured these books in HS and in college and everyonce in a while I make the attempt to buy them from the store but they are never in stock and instead of ordering them I end up buying something else.

I also like the Sugawara Akitada books by I.J. Parker.  They are a new discovery for me and I'm on my second book (first book in the series) and am looking forward to the rest of them.

Of coure there are the TV greats like Jessica Fletcher, Christine Cromwell, Hart & Hart, Remington Steele, Moonlighting, and others.

Then the movie greats like Nick and Nora Charles, Philo Vance, and Charlie Chan.

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
becke_davis
0 Kudos

"Of coure there are the TV greats like Jessica Fletcher, Christine Cromwell, Hart & Hart, Remington Steele, Moonlighting, and others.

Then the movie greats like Nick and Nora Charles, Philo Vance, and Charlie Chan."

And don't forget Perry Mason! (The black-and-white mysteries.) I like the old Sherlock Holmes episodes, too.

I just watched a show my husband recorded a couple weeks ago. It was called "Agatha Christie: Unfinished Portrait." I highly recommend it, if it's on again. This is what I've found out about it online:

Agatha Christie’s cozy English murder mysteries have sold over two billion copies and have been published in 42 different languages. She is the most successful and widely read English author in the world. Across the globe, her readers are transported into a bygone world of nosy servants, village fetes, retired colonels and bridge parties where the ruling classes are respectable – but murdering each other with great abandon. Based on Christie’s writings and private correspondence and with the full co-operation of her estate, AGATHA CHRISTIE: UNFINISHED PORTRAIT unravels the mystery of Christie’s life and the English obsession with murder that she so cleverly understood and exploited.

An ARENA special celebrating the centenary of Agatha Christie's birth in a documentary looking at her life and character, including the key moments in her childhood which influenced her later writing, and charting the course of her life, with her experiences, the characters she created and the mystery surrounding her sensational disappearance in 1926 after the break-up of her first marriage. It also features both Christie's official biographer, Janet Morgan, and Gwen Robyns, author of an unauthorised biography, along with fellow crimewriters and surviving friends.

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

I forgot two of the more "odder" PIs.  One from TV and one from books. 

I enjoy both Jim Butcher's Harry Dresden series and the first few seasons of Angel he as a PI.

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Frequent Contributor
fordmg
0 Kudos

dulcinea3 wrote:
It's a difficult choice!  Putting aside the really classic sleuths, like Sherlock Holmes, Christie's various sleuths, Roderick Alleyn, etc., I suppose I would choose Amelia Peabody, the feminist Victorian Egyptologist from Elizabeth Peters' series.  Amelia is feisty, smart, humorous, fearless, and a bit egotistical.  She always has to try to take credit for every successful theory!

I enjoy Amelia Peabody also.  Peter's has a way with words.

MG

Frequent Contributor
Clea_Simon
0 Kudos

I love Elizabeth Peters (and Amelia Peabody), too. And Laurie R. King! Am also a big fan of Donna Leon and Henning Mankell. Anyone else here? Leon's mysteries are set in Venice and are more about life in Venice and social issues than the crimes, really. Very lovely protagonist, a the warm and caring inspector Brunetti. Mankell is Swedish and also in a way more concerned with social issues than the crime. Also a great protag in police detective Kurt Wallender. Hmm... I guess there's a theme here!
"Probable Claws," April '09
"Shades of Grey," Sept. '09
http://www.cleasimon.com
New User
Horror_Reader
0 Kudos

My favorite detectives are Harry Bosch, Jack Reacher, Veronica Mars, Harry Dresden, Hercule Poirot, Miss Marple, Sherlock Holmes, Milo Sturgis, and Lucas Davenport.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Horror_Reader wrote:

My favorite detectives are Harry Bosch, Jack Reacher, Veronica Mars, Harry Dresden, Hercule Poirot, Miss Marple, Sherlock Holmes, Milo Sturgis, and Lucas Davenport.

Since you like Milo, I'm assuming you are a fan of Jonathan Kellerman's Alex Delaware books. We will be featuring those books in April, and Jonathan Kellerman will be visiting a few times during the month.

Author
R_E_Conary
0 Kudos

My favorite detectives have to include Travis McGee (John D. MacDonald), J.P.Beaumont and Joanna Brady (J.A.Jance), Matthew Scudder (Lawrence Block), Edward X. Delaney (Lawrence Sanders), V.I.Warshawski (Sara Paretsky), Kat Colorado (Karen Kijewski), and Kate Delafield (Katherine V. Forrest).

Jim Rockford and Remmington Steele top my TV list; although Rick Castle and Kate Becket are coming on strong.

REConary

Lifes a Bitch. So am I. Rachel Cord. P.I. 

becke_davis
0 Kudos

As for TV detectives, I like most of the detectives from the Law & Order franchise, and I like the cast of Cold Case a lot. But my favorites are the detectives who star in the British series, Midsomer Murders, and Michael Kitchen as Inspector Foyle from Foyle's War. And, of course, David Suchet as Poirot and Joan Hickson as Miss Marple.