becke_davis
0 Kudos

NEW RELEASES!

I'm not great about letting you all know what new releases are out (Tuesday is new release day), so I'm setting up this thread to invite authors to tell us about their new books.

Here are a couple to get us started - ROCHELLE STAAB (who is our featured guest this week) and KATE COLLINS (who is writing a guest blog for us).

Who Do, Voodoo? 

To Catch a Leaf (Flower Shop Mystery Series #12)   

Authors, don't be shy! Tell us about your new or recent releases here - click "Add Product" to add the link.

Congratulations on your new releases!

Author
LaurieStevens
0 Kudos

Re: NEW RELEASES!

Thanks for the opportunity to share our work. Available in ebook and deluxe paperback. Kirkus Star recipient and will be featured in "Best of Indie 2011" by Kirkus Review. The Dark Before Dawn by Laurie Stevens

The Dark Before Dawn  

becke_davis
0 Kudos

LaurieStevens wrote:

Thanks for the opportunity to share our work. Available in ebook and deluxe paperback. Kirkus Star recipient and will be featured in "Best of Indie 2011" by Kirkus Review. The Dark Before Dawn by Laurie Stevens

The Dark Before Dawn  

Thanks, Laurie - good luck with your book!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Authors - tell us about your new releases here!

Author
lovesreading1
0 Kudos

My ebook original WATERBURY (Do You Know the Killer Beside You?) is available on the Nook as of today!  It isn't available anywhere else at the moment, so you'll be the first.  Like my other ebooks, it's only 99 cents through autumn.  Enjoy!

Waterbury  

Who will live and who will die?

A family gathers for Thanksgiving in rural Connecticut, bringing with them confessions, accusations, demands.  But suddenly personal agendas become meaningless as the priority shifts to survival.  Two burglars break in, believing the house to be empty.  In their panic they take the family hostage—and the crime that follows spirals out of control.

Praise for Katia Lief’s novels:

“Your heart will be pounding long after you’ve turned the final page.” –Lisa Gardner

“Brilliant.” –Suspense Magazine

“Suspense at a high level.” --Midwest Book Review

“Exhilarating.” –The Mystery Gazette

“Taut, clean storytelling.” –Publishers Weekly

“Readers will want to read more of this talented writer’s work.” –New York Journal of Books

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Aha - Katia beat me to it! I was just going to add this information. :-)

Author
ConnieShelton
0 Kudos

Becke, thank you so much for inviting me to post my newest release here. I've got a new Christmas Nook book in my Samantha Sweet mystery series. In this one, a chocolatier comes to Sam's pastry shop and offers to create exquisite chocolates for her customers. But Sam learns that there are darker forces at work which include the mysterious chocolatier, a million dollar art collection, and the odd wooden box that seems to give Sam her unexplained powers.

If it's okay, I'd also like to mention that I'm giving away a free Nook e-book reader the first of December, by drawing a name from my newsletter subscribers. Anyone who would like to subscribe can simply go to my website connieshelton.com and click the link to be eligible for the prize.

Sweet Holidays  

Thanks so much for all you do to promote the mystery genre and to help mystery writers like myself--you're the best!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

ConnieShelton wrote:

Becke, thank you so much for inviting me to post my newest release here. I've got a new Christmas Nook book in my Samantha Sweet mystery series. In this one, a chocolatier comes to Sam's pastry shop and offers to create exquisite chocolates for her customers. But Sam learns that there are darker forces at work which include the mysterious chocolatier, a million dollar art collection, and the odd wooden box that seems to give Sam her unexplained powers.

If it's okay, I'd also like to mention that I'm giving away a free Nook e-book reader the first of December, by drawing a name from my newsletter subscribers. Anyone who would like to subscribe can simply go to my website connieshelton.com and click the link to be eligible for the prize.

Sweet Holidays  

Thanks so much for all you do to promote the mystery genre and to help mystery writers like myself--you're the best!

It sounds like a fun read, Connie - and perfect timing for the holidays.

Author
LiseMcClendon
0 Kudos

Hi Becke!

Jump Cut 

I'm new here, which is probably appropriate because I have a brand new name too! I've written seven mystery novels as myself (Lise McClendon) but now I'm reinventing myself as Rory Tate. My thriller JUMP CUT launches today. (Check out the trailer on my website: http://www.rorytate.com)

An edgy, modern thriller Jump Cut follows the story of TV news reporter Mimi Raynard as she navigates the rocky shoals of office politics when her ex is her boss. She is desperate for a new job. The narcotics detective she meets on a story has his own career crisis when he's framed for stealing drugs from evidence. Then there's her father, an engineer-for-hire who is building something secretive for Europe's last Communists in the tiny republic of Moldova. 

“An engaging heroine every woman can identify with: good-natured, smart, harried, all too aware she’s growing older. She just wants to catch a break. I loved her almost as much as I loved Rory Tate’s breezy, fast-paced writing style!” -- Katy Munger, award-winning author of the Casey Jones mysteries

becke_davis
0 Kudos

LiseMcClendon wrote:

Hi Becke!

Jump Cut 

I'm new here, which is probably appropriate because I have a brand new name too! I've written seven mystery novels as myself (Lise McClendon) but now I'm reinventing myself as Rory Tate. My thriller JUMP CUT launches today. (Check out the trailer on my website: http://www.rorytate.com)

An edgy, modern thriller Jump Cut follows the story of TV news reporter Mimi Raynard as she navigates the rocky shoals of office politics when her ex is her boss. She is desperate for a new job. The narcotics detective she meets on a story has his own career crisis when he's framed for stealing drugs from evidence. Then there's her father, an engineer-for-hire who is building something secretive for Europe's last Communists in the tiny republic of Moldova. 

“An engaging heroine every woman can identify with: good-natured, smart, harried, all too aware she’s growing older. She just wants to catch a break. I loved her almost as much as I loved Rory Tate’s breezy, fast-paced writing style!” -- Katy Munger, award-winning author of the Casey Jones mysteries

Hi Lise - Thanks for joining us! Let's give your other books a plug, too:

The Bluejay Shaman 

Blackbird Fly 

Painted Truth 

One O'Clock Jump 

Sweet and Lowdown 

Nordic Nights 

Blue Wolf        

Author
LawrenceKelter
0 Kudos

Kiss of the Devil's Breath  

Don't Close Your Eyes  

I am the author of The Stephanie Chalice Mystery Series. Don't Close Your Eyes,Ransom Beach,and The Brain Vault are now 99 cents. My new novel, KISS OF THE DEVIL'S BREATH will be released on Nook 11/11/11!

KISS OF THE DEVIL'S BREATH
“Kiss of the Devil’s Breath” opens on Downtown L.A. and the world famous Kodak Theater. The Academy Award ceremony is in full swing; the crème de la crème of Hollywood’s elite out on the fabled red carpet for their walk of fame. Just across the boulevard, high atop an industrial building, a determined sniper waits, his mind and his focus inexorably trained on his victim. Who is he planning to kill?

The requisite hero for a hardboiled mystery is a bulldog detective like Sam Spade or Mike Hammer, protagonists who, like their names, are as tough as nails. Enter Private Detective Frank Mango. Don’t be fooled—though his name does not conjure up images of metal hitting stone, he is a genuine tough guy in every sense of the word, and has the inappropriate bad boy delivery of a standup comic.

Like most L.A. gumshoe types, Mango keeps his own emotions well concealed. His insecurities about his weight, appearance, and lack of financial success, weigh on him but never get in the way of his investigation. He is a fiercely committed advocate who through his dogged determinedness strives steadfast to uncover clues and rescue the innocent. His efforts are assisted by an ensemble group of quirky characters, each with their own unique contribution to offer.

Mango is hired to find a missing actor, a woman he fears may be the next victim of the Sunset Murderer, a fiend who has already discarded two bodies along the Sunset Strip clad in calico dresses.  Mango follows his gut instinct in an unconventional direction that brings him to the epicenter of the murder investigation, the sniper’s plan, and the discovery of an obscure street drug being used to manipulate the unwilling.

I hope you will find “Kiss of the Devil’s Breath” compelling and welcome a fresh voice to the hardboiled genre. Frank and I guarantee the arcane plot will keep you guessing until the end.
LK

DON'T CLOSE YOUR EYES

Stephanie Chalice is a cop's cop. She's bold, smart, independent and beautiful--a powerhouse working in NYPD's homicide unit. She's seen a lot in her years on the force, but she's never come across anything like the case she's up against now. A murdering psychopath is stalking Manhattan, on the prowl for a very special type of woman. Part of his twisted game is intentionally leaving clues for the police, clues designed not only to taunt, but to do something much worse. Will Chalice be able to discover his real purpose before another woman dies?

RANSOM BEACH

NYPD's street savvy detective, Stephanie Chalice is back and not a minute too soon. Her newest nemesis is a con artist and bloodthirsty killer. Chameleon-like, she is able to change her identity at will-she's a ghost known only as Black. Chalice is called into action when a billionaire's ward, an autistic child, is abducted from under the nose of his well trained bodyguard. Black's reason for choosing this mark is not an obvious one. The kidnap victim is no ordinary child. He has never learned to read or write, and yet is capable of channeling the prophecies of his long dead ancestor, those that have long been memorialized, and those now thought to be ages lost. Chalice is put to the test, forced to decipher clues that defy explanation. Will she be able to outthink her diabolical opponent before it's too late?

THE BRAIN VAULT
A sterilized skull, a deranged forensics expert, a plunge into the deepest recesses of the criminal mind. In her most challenging case yet, Chalice must turn to a madman to deliver a killer. Detective Chalice is called into action when a unconscious man is found in Central Park. Barely alive, John Doe is clad only in a torn bedsheet and has sustained a life threatening wound. His body is covered in scars, essentially a tapestry chronicling his history as a torture victim. Stranger still, a human skull lies just inches away. Chalice has just two leads in this case, a skull that has been sterilized and found to be evidence free, and a comatose witness to a murder—tough odds, even for NYPD’s best and brightest.

ENJOY READING THEM!!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

LawrenceKelter wrote:

Kiss of the Devil's Breath  

Don't Close Your Eyes  

I am the author of The Stephanie Chalice Mystery Series. Don't Close Your Eyes,Ransom Beach,and The Brain Vault are now 99 cents. My new novel, KISS OF THE DEVIL'S BREATH will be released on Nook 11/11/11!

KISS OF THE DEVIL'S BREATH
“Kiss of the Devil’s Breath” opens on Downtown L.A. and the world famous Kodak Theater. The Academy Award ceremony is in full swing; the crème de la crème of Hollywood’s elite out on the fabled red carpet for their walk of fame. Just across the boulevard, high atop an industrial building, a determined sniper waits, his mind and his focus inexorably trained on his victim. Who is he planning to kill?

The requisite hero for a hardboiled mystery is a bulldog detective like Sam Spade or Mike Hammer, protagonists who, like their names, are as tough as nails. Enter Private Detective Frank Mango. Don’t be fooled—though his name does not conjure up images of metal hitting stone, he is a genuine tough guy in every sense of the word, and has the inappropriate bad boy delivery of a standup comic.

Like most L.A. gumshoe types, Mango keeps his own emotions well concealed. His insecurities about his weight, appearance, and lack of financial success, weigh on him but never get in the way of his investigation. He is a fiercely committed advocate who through his dogged determinedness strives steadfast to uncover clues and rescue the innocent. His efforts are assisted by an ensemble group of quirky characters, each with their own unique contribution to offer.

Mango is hired to find a missing actor, a woman he fears may be the next victim of the Sunset Murderer, a fiend who has already discarded two bodies along the Sunset Strip clad in calico dresses.  Mango follows his gut instinct in an unconventional direction that brings him to the epicenter of the murder investigation, the sniper’s plan, and the discovery of an obscure street drug being used to manipulate the unwilling.

I hope you will find “Kiss of the Devil’s Breath” compelling and welcome a fresh voice to the hardboiled genre. Frank and I guarantee the arcane plot will keep you guessing until the end.
LK

DON'T CLOSE YOUR EYES

Stephanie Chalice is a cop's cop. She's bold, smart, independent and beautiful--a powerhouse working in NYPD's homicide unit. She's seen a lot in her years on the force, but she's never come across anything like the case she's up against now. A murdering psychopath is stalking Manhattan, on the prowl for a very special type of woman. Part of his twisted game is intentionally leaving clues for the police, clues designed not only to taunt, but to do something much worse. Will Chalice be able to discover his real purpose before another woman dies?

RANSOM BEACH

NYPD's street savvy detective, Stephanie Chalice is back and not a minute too soon. Her newest nemesis is a con artist and bloodthirsty killer. Chameleon-like, she is able to change her identity at will-she's a ghost known only as Black. Chalice is called into action when a billionaire's ward, an autistic child, is abducted from under the nose of his well trained bodyguard. Black's reason for choosing this mark is not an obvious one. The kidnap victim is no ordinary child. He has never learned to read or write, and yet is capable of channeling the prophecies of his long dead ancestor, those that have long been memorialized, and those now thought to be ages lost. Chalice is put to the test, forced to decipher clues that defy explanation. Will she be able to outthink her diabolical opponent before it's too late?

THE BRAIN VAULT
A sterilized skull, a deranged forensics expert, a plunge into the deepest recesses of the criminal mind. In her most challenging case yet, Chalice must turn to a madman to deliver a killer. Detective Chalice is called into action when a unconscious man is found in Central Park. Barely alive, John Doe is clad only in a torn bedsheet and has sustained a life threatening wound. His body is covered in scars, essentially a tapestry chronicling his history as a torture victim. Stranger still, a human skull lies just inches away. Chalice has just two leads in this case, a skull that has been sterilized and found to be evidence free, and a comatose witness to a murder—tough odds, even for NYPD’s best and brightest.

ENJOY READING THEM!!

These sound really intriguing, Lawrence - thanks!

Author
JaneSevier
0 Kudos

Fortune's Fool  

A paranormal mystery set in 1930s Memphis, Fortune's Fool was a 2010 Golden Heart finalist and is now available for the Nook.

When her husband dies a leaves her penniless, Memphis socialite Nell Marchand becomes a society fortuneteller, only to discover she has the true site.

Find out more about Nell and the other characters in the Psychic Socialite Series at www.janesevier.com.

Thank you for the opportunity to alert folks to new releases!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

JaneSevier wrote:

Fortune's Fool  

A paranormal mystery set in 1930s Memphis, Fortune's Fool was a 2010 Golden Heart finalist and is now available for the Nook.

When her husband dies a leaves her penniless, Memphis socialite Nell Marchand becomes a society fortuneteller, only to discover she has the true site.

Find out more about Nell and the other characters in the Psychic Socialite Series at www.janesevier.com.

Thank you for the opportunity to alert folks to new releases!

Thanks, Jane - congrats on the Golden Heart final! Do you know Carey Corp? She was a GH finalist in 2010, too. She's in my RWA chapter - a buddy of mine.

Author
JaneSevier
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Yes, I do know Carey! She's an intrepid member of the 2010 GH class that calls itself the Unsinkables. We all stay in touch through an email loop, and the support and fellowship of that group has been wonderful.

Rochelle Staab is also an Unsinkable. We're all so excited for her on this, the release week for Who Do, Voodoo?

becke_davis
0 Kudos

JaneSevier wrote:

Yes, I do know Carey! She's an intrepid member of the 2010 GH class that calls itself the Unsinkables. We all stay in touch through an email loop, and the support and fellowship of that group has been wonderful.

Rochelle Staab is also an Unsinkable. We're all so excited for her on this, the release week for Who Do, Voodoo?

Rochelle's our featured author this week - stop by and say hi!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Author
ToniD16
0 Kudos

This is a sale rather than a new release, but Becke said to post it here anyway. :smileyhappy:

I'd like to let readers know that I've just put my mystery BADWATER on sale--down from $2.99 to .99. This is a pre-Thanksgiving limited time offer. I'll call it gold Monday. :smileywink:

BADWATER  

BADWATER is about a team of forensic geologists tracking stolen radioactive waste in Death Valley.

Review: "In this superb, taut, action-packed thriller set in the California desert, a highway hijacking turns toxic and Cassie Oldfield, forensic geologist, is called in to help the FBI and the EPA's Radiological Emergency Response Team track down stolen casks of nuclear waste. Sophisticated soil analysis is not normally a deadly occupation, yet before it's all over, Cassie comes face to face with a sociopathic killer and with her own mortality. Notice to criminals: watch out for Cassie! She knows where you've been. Fans of Nevada Barr are going to love this book just as much as I did."
- Marcia Talley, Agatha and Anthony award-winning author of the Hannah Ives mysteries

becke_davis
0 Kudos

ToniD16 wrote:

This is a sale rather than a new release, but Becke said to post it here anyway. :smileyhappy:

I'd like to let readers know that I've just put my mystery BADWATER on sale--down from $2.99 to .99. This is a pre-Thanksgiving limited time offer. I'll call it gold Monday. :smileywink:

BADWATER  

BADWATER is about a team of forensic geologists tracking stolen radioactive waste in Death Valley.

Review: "In this superb, taut, action-packed thriller set in the California desert, a highway hijacking turns toxic and Cassie Oldfield, forensic geologist, is called in to help the FBI and the EPA's Radiological Emergency Response Team track down stolen casks of nuclear waste. Sophisticated soil analysis is not normally a deadly occupation, yet before it's all over, Cassie comes face to face with a sociopathic killer and with her own mortality. Notice to criminals: watch out for Cassie! She knows where you've been. Fans of Nevada Barr are going to love this book just as much as I did."
- Marcia Talley, Agatha and Anthony award-winning author of the Hannah Ives mysteries

Thanks, Toni - we always like to hear about bargains!

Author
Lane_Stone
0 Kudos

Current Affairs  

The detectives of Tiara Investigations are 48 year-old former beauty queens.  To save their agency they're going to have to rein in a killer.

Nook and gift quality paperback. “For readers who like smart, funny heroines with a normal share of human failings, Lane Stone offers three in one package. I kept turning the pages to find out what the ladies of Tiara Investigations would do and say next. Current Affairs is hilarious and thoroughly entertaining.”
–Sandra Parshall, award-winning author of the Rachel Goddard Mysteries