Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: NEW RELEASES!

Lane_Stone wrote:

Current Affairs  

The detectives of Tiara Investigations are 48 year-old former beauty queens.  To save their agency they're going to have to rein in a killer.

Nook and gift quality paperback. “For readers who like smart, funny heroines with a normal share of human failings, Lane Stone offers three in one package. I kept turning the pages to find out what the ladies of Tiara Investigations would do and say next. Current Affairs is hilarious and thoroughly entertaining.”
–Sandra Parshall, award-winning author of the Rachel Goddard Mysteries

Thanks for sharing this with us, Lane!

Author
CJ_West
0 Kudos

Re: NEW RELEASES! Addicted To Love

Remember what it was like to be passionately in love? Try

Addicted To Love  

How far would you go to preserve soul-consuming passion?

Wes Holiday sells his landscaping business and retreats to a quaint mountain town to heal after ending a ten year relationship with a woman he couldn’t bring himself to marry. In three weeks he is so captivated by a hair stylist that he deprives himself of food and sleep to be near her. When the local sheriff is murdered, Wes is recruited to keep the peace in the town his parents built, but he knows nothing about law enforcement and he’s struggling to understand how a woman he just met can dominate his every waking thought. Soon the idyllic town with a penchant for romance is rocked by a bizarre series of murders that defy explanation and it is up to Wes to stop a raging epidemic of violence before the entire town is destroyed.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: NEW RELEASES! Addicted To Love

CJ_West wrote:

Remember what it was like to be passionately in love? Try

Addicted To Love  

How far would you go to preserve soul-consuming passion?

Wes Holiday sells his landscaping business and retreats to a quaint mountain town to heal after ending a ten year relationship with a woman he couldn’t bring himself to marry. In three weeks he is so captivated by a hair stylist that he deprives himself of food and sleep to be near her. When the local sheriff is murdered, Wes is recruited to keep the peace in the town his parents built, but he knows nothing about law enforcement and he’s struggling to understand how a woman he just met can dominate his every waking thought. Soon the idyllic town with a penchant for romance is rocked by a bizarre series of murders that defy explanation and it is up to Wes to stop a raging epidemic of violence before the entire town is destroyed.

Hi C.J.! Great to see you here - thanks so much for sharing the details of your new book with us!

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Received this information from Carlos Ruiz Zafon's newsletter. He is one of my favorite authors from Barcelona, Spain. I read the following books by him and can't wait for the next one, THE PRISONER OF HEAVEN.

The Shadow of the Wind 

The Angel's Game 

The Midnight Palace   

The Prisoner of Heaven, the brand new novel from Carlos Ruiz Zafón, is to be published next summer.

The Prisoner of Heaven returns to the world of The Cemetery of Forgotten Books and the Sempere & Sons bookshop. It begins one year after the close of The Shadow of the Windwhen a mysterious stranger enters the shop, looking for a copy of The Count of Monte Cristo.

The Prisoner of Heaven is published in Spain today and the English language version will be out in the UK on 21/06/2012

We'll bring you more news when we have it!

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Eadie - My husband and son have read his books. I have them in my TBR pile.

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

I love his books and I'm looking forward to the new English release in June 2012.

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
becke_davis
0 Kudos

eadieburke wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

I love his books and I'm looking forward to the new English release in June 2012.

I'll have to remember to get that for my son.

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

becke_davis wrote:

eadieburke wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

I'll have to remember to get that for my son.

I'll remind you when I get the next notification from their newsletter that it has been released.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Author
MicheleD91
0 Kudos

Edited for Death  My new release is Edited for Death, a traditional mystery featuring newspaper editor Amy Hobbes. It has some people talking...including some journalists!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

MicheleD91 wrote:

Edited for Death  My new release is Edited for Death, a traditional mystery featuring newspaper editor Amy Hobbes. It has some people talking...including some journalists!

Thanks for telling us about your new release, Michele!

Author
Beth_Groundwater
0 Kudos

You may have read about this release in my recent guest post, but I figured there was no harm in posting it here, too.

A Real Basket Case  

This is a re-release in ebook and trade paperback of the first book in the Claire Hanover gift basket designer mystery series that was released in hardcover in 2007. It was a finalist for the Best First Novel Agatha Award (named for Agatha Christie) when it was first released. I hope to find many new readers on the Nook!

Feeling neglected by her workaholic husband, forty-something gift basket maker Claire Hanover joins an aerobics class. In a moment of weakness, Claire agrees to let charming aerobics instructor Enrique come to her house to give her a massage. She realizes she has made a deadly mistake when Enrique is shot and killed in her bedroom and her husband Roger is arrested for the murder. Determined to clear Roger's name and save her marriage, Claire sets out to find the real killer, encountering drug dealers, jealous ex-girlfriends, and angry cops along the way.

Some reviews and blurbs:

"This will appeal to Desperate Housewives fans and those who like cozies with a bit of spice."
       -- Barbara Bibel, Booklist Review, February 1, 2007

"Drugs and jealousy add up to a Rocky Mountain murder. A tense, exciting debut."
       -- Kirkus Reviews, January 1, 2007

"A crackling good novel with the kind of twists and turns that make roller coaster rides so scary and so much fun!  The tension begins on the first page and never lets up.  As Claire Hanover, the plucky heroine, fights to keep her life from spiraling out of control, I rooted for her every step of the way.  Beth Groundwater has written a terrific debut mystery."
      -- Margaret Coel, author of The Drowning Man

"A gutsy sleuth, a fast-paced plot, and intriguing characters that keep you guessing.  A Real Basket Case is a real winner!  Don't miss it."
     -- Maggie Sefton, bestselling author of Knit One, Kill Two

--
Beth Groundwater, http://bethgroundwater.com/
DEADLY CURRENTS, 03/11, A REAL BASKET CASE re-release, 11/11
WICKED EDDIES, 05/12, TO HELL IN A HANDBASKET re-release, 11/12
FATAL DESCENT, 06/13, A BASKET OF TROUBLE, 11/13
Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Thanks for that info on  A Real Basket Case, Beth.  As I've just posted in a different thread on this forum, I recently read Deadly Currents, and I really enjoyed it. My niece just married a young man who has been a river raft guide in the Grand Canyon area of Arizona, so I really enjoyed reading all the descriptions of the water elements in the book. I'm looking forward to reading the sequel to Deadly Currents, and while I wait for that to come out, I think I will try to get my hands on A Real Basket Case to read.

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
Author
Jimcolombo
0 Kudos

Hi to all,

I thought that I would drop by Becke's latest page for new releases. Thanks to her for creating it. I see some familiar names and some new ones too! Great! I just wanted to announce that my Novel The Keys to the Vault is now available as a E-book and can be found right here at Barnes & Noble. Just follow this link to see more.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/s/Jim-Colombo?keyword=Jim+Colombo&store=allproducts

Thanks! and Happy reading!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Jimcolombo wrote:

Hi to all,

I thought that I would drop by Becke's latest page for new releases. Thanks to her for creating it. I see some familiar names and some new ones too! Great! I just wanted to announce that my Novel The Keys to the Vault is now available as a E-book and can be found right here at Barnes & Noble. Just follow this link to see more.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/s/Jim-Colombo?keyword=Jim+Colombo&store=allproducts

Thanks! and Happy reading!

Congratulations on your new e-release, Jim!

Author
ToniD16
0 Kudos

Thanks for the heads-up on Deadly Currents. I rafted the river through the Grand Canyon, so this sounds like my sort of book! I'll be checking it out...

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Well, it seems that Jane Austen is providing several authors with inspiration for writing their own novels. I've been reading the Stephanie Barron series featuring Jane herself as sleuth, and Jane and the Canterbury Tale is her latest, which I enjoyed reading.

Now PD James has written Death Come to Pemberly. It's just been released, and I can't wait to read it!

Death Comes to Pemberley

Death Comes to Pemberley
" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
Inspired Wordsmith
basson_mommy12
0 Kudos

Fricka wrote:

Well, it seems that Jane Austen is providing several authors with inspiration for writing their own novels. I've been reading the Stephanie Barron series featuring Jane herself as sleuth, and Jane and the Canterbury Tale is her latest, which I enjoyed reading.

Now PD James has written Death Come to Pemberly. It's just been released, and I can't wait to read it!

Death Comes to Pemberley

Death Comes to Pemberley

I'm getting a nook for Christmas, so I'm starting my nook wishlist and this book is at the top of it!

"The Answer to the Great Question of ... Life, the Universe and Everything ... (is) 42." -- Douglas Adams' "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Ruth W.
Grand Rapids, MI
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Authors - no invitation necessary, jump on in and tell us about your new releases

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Escape From Paris  

Carolyn has had some trouble posting here before, so I'm going to post this on her behalf.

Check out her website here: http://www.carolynhart.com/

ESCAPE FROM PARIS -- For the first time ever the complete and unabridged edition!

Long ago, in what almost seems now like another life, I wrote World War II suspense novels. I was a child n the 1940s and the war dominated our lives. Everything hinged on the war. Food and gasoline were rationed. Family members served in the Army or Navy. We followed the faraway course of the fighting in huge black newspaper headlines.

Among my first works of fiction are several books set during the war. ESCAPE FROM PARIS tells the story of two American sisters in Paris who help British fliers escape from Occupied France, knowing the Gestapo has decreed death for resistance. The book offers a glimpse of lives touched by war in 1940.

This was a period when I was only able to sell books to a small publisher in England. To sell ESCAPE FROM PARIS, I had to cut the book from 93,000 to 55,000 words and that's how the book appeared in the 1982 edition.

This month, to my great delight, Oconee Spirit Press is publishing the original manuscript. It has been 30 years in coming but finally the full book is available.

I hope readers will share the struggles of the brave men and women who defied the Gestapo during the bitter winter of 1940 in Occupied Paris. They knew fear, found love, grieved loss. Their lives and deaths remind us that freedom survives only when the free are brave.

Read an excerpt from Escape From Paris (in PDF)

Get Book Club Discussion Questions for Escape From Paris (in PDF)

Recipes From the Homefront (in PDF)

Readers share their memories of WWII (in PDF)

Share your own memories of WWII with us. Just send an email to chart@carolynhart.com with your strongest memories of the era. Please let us know whether we may use your memory and name when we update WWII Memories.