Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: NEW RELEASES!

becke_davis wrote:

Escape From Paris  

Carolyn has had some trouble posting here before, so I'm going to post this on her behalf.

Check out her website here: http://www.carolynhart.com/

ESCAPE FROM PARIS -- For the first time ever the complete and unabridged edition!

Long ago, in what almost seems now like another life, I wrote World War II suspense novels. I was a child n the 1940s and the war dominated our lives. Everything hinged on the war. Food and gasoline were rationed. Family members served in the Army or Navy. We followed the faraway course of the fighting in huge black newspaper headlines.

Among my first works of fiction are several books set during the war. ESCAPE FROM PARIS tells the story of two American sisters in Paris who help British fliers escape from Occupied France, knowing the Gestapo has decreed death for resistance. The book offers a glimpse of lives touched by war in 1940.

This was a period when I was only able to sell books to a small publisher in England. To sell ESCAPE FROM PARIS, I had to cut the book from 93,000 to 55,000 words and that's how the book appeared in the 1982 edition.

This month, to my great delight, Oconee Spirit Press is publishing the original manuscript. It has been 30 years in coming but finally the full book is available.

I hope readers will share the struggles of the brave men and women who defied the Gestapo during the bitter winter of 1940 in Occupied Paris. They knew fear, found love, grieved loss. Their lives and deaths remind us that freedom survives only when the free are brave.

Read an excerpt from Escape From Paris (in PDF)

Get Book Club Discussion Questions for Escape From Paris (in PDF)

Recipes From the Homefront (in PDF)

Readers share their memories of WWII (in PDF)

Share your own memories of WWII with us. Just send an email to chart@carolynhart.com with your strongest memories of the era. Please let us know whether we may use your memory and name when we update WWII Memories.

I want to share this with you all:

Dear Becke,

Thanks for welcoming ESCAPE FROM PARIS, my WWII suspense novel that took more tnan 30 years to be published in full.  I cherish the emails from readers and the tribute from Ed Gorman on his blog: Escape is a non-stop thriller that a wide range of readers will not only enjoy but also remember.

My best - Carolyn
And I want to repeat this:
Share your own memories of WWII with us. Just send an email to chart@carolynhart.com with your strongest memories of the era. Please let us know whether we may use your memory and name when we update WWII Memories.
Author
mary_kennedy
0 Kudos

ESCAPE FRON Paris is such a wonderful book! So glad you posted this, I know readers will be happy to have the opportunity to discover it.  An inspiring story of courage and resilience. 

becke_davis
0 Kudos

mary_kennedy wrote:

ESCAPE FRON Paris is such a wonderful book! So glad you posted this, I know readers will be happy to have the opportunity to discover it.  An inspiring story of courage and resilience. 

Carolyn is such a wonderful writer, I'm looking forward to reading this!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

dhaupt
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
becke_davis
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

Hidden Summit (Virgin River Series #15)  

Join me at General Fiction for a Q&A with Robyn Carr about her new release

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Fiction-General-Discussion/Just-Released-Q-amp-A-with-Robyn-C...

Here's my review if you missed it 

http://thereadingfrenzy.blogspot.com/2011/12/review-of-hidden-summit-by-robyn-carr.html

Thanks for the reminder, Debbie - I'll be right over!

Inspired Wordsmith
basson_mommy12
0 Kudos

Here's a new release of some old favorites:

Alfred Hitchcock's Mystery Magazine Presents Fifty Years of Crime and Suspense  .

"The Answer to the Great Question of ... Life, the Universe and Everything ... (is) 42." -- Douglas Adams' "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Ruth W.
Grand Rapids, MI
becke_davis
0 Kudos

basson_mommy12 wrote:

Here's a new release of some old favorites:

Alfred Hitchcock's Mystery Magazine Presents Fifty Years of Crime and Suspense  .

I have a lot of those old anthologies on my keeper shelves still.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Author
BearMountainBooks-Maria
0 Kudos

I am pretty sure I missed adding my release from Dec 15 here...due to being overwhelmed with the release itself and the holidays!  The second book in my urban fantasy series (a murder mystery is the heart of the story) has been released!

Under Witch Aura   There’s an ill wind blowing in Santa Fe, and it’s touching every witch Adriel knows, including White Feather, who is far more important to Adriel than just any warlock. In search of answers, she delves into ancient magic, a family secret and dangerous religious rituals. Whoever is manipulating the elements appears to be after the ultimate goal: forbidden power over life and death.

Adriel will go to the ends of the earth to keep those she loves safe, but if she lures the enemy away, will she be able to save herself? Her only hope is to use earth magic to hide from the very air she breathes as she hunts down an unseen and untenable evil.

The paperback should start showing up at B&N in a week or two (do not ask me why it takes so long.  It is the mysterious ways of the publishing business.  Personally I think the postman sits and reads all the books before delivery...)

Happy New Year!!!

Maria Schneider - My Nook Books
becke_davis
0 Kudos

BearMountainBooks wrote:

I am pretty sure I missed adding my release from Dec 15 here...due to being overwhelmed with the release itself and the holidays!  The second book in my urban fantasy series (a murder mystery is the heart of the story) has been released!

Under Witch Aura   There’s an ill wind blowing in Santa Fe, and it’s touching every witch Adriel knows, including White Feather, who is far more important to Adriel than just any warlock. In search of answers, she delves into ancient magic, a family secret and dangerous religious rituals. Whoever is manipulating the elements appears to be after the ultimate goal: forbidden power over life and death.

Adriel will go to the ends of the earth to keep those she loves safe, but if she lures the enemy away, will she be able to save herself? Her only hope is to use earth magic to hide from the very air she breathes as she hunts down an unseen and untenable evil.

The paperback should start showing up at B&N in a week or two (do not ask me why it takes so long.  It is the mysterious ways of the publishing business.  Personally I think the postman sits and reads all the books before delivery...)

Happy New Year!!!

Congrats on the new release, Maria! I've noticed books tend to appear on Smashwords first, and then on B&N. Not sure why that is.

Author
steveruediger
0 Kudos

P.S.  I have just had my first book published. It is so new I don't even have my copies yet, except for the originals sent for me to proof.

The book is PS: I'm Innocent. The story follows a young woman as her situation becomes first bad then horrible.

As a new employee for the Sanibel Island Environmental Conservancy in Florida, Lizzie Grant thinks she has it made. She is helping to preserve wildlife and working on a Florida beach. Life is finally good – but it won’t stay that way for long.

One night while researching sea turtles on the beach, Lizzie sees illegal aliens being brought ashore by a smuggler. Her accidental observation leads to her being threatened and stalked by the smuggler until he suddenly shows up dead in her apartment, and Lizzie is wanted for his murder.

With the help of a semi-retired Mafia don named Joey, Lizzie tries to uncover evidence to clear her name. She eventually finds out the illegal aliens are being used as slave labor on a farm next to her boyfriend’s wildlife refuge, where he keeps Agnes, a friendly Florida panther and other large cats.

Lizzie becomes a prisoner on the slave labor farm, where a forced marriage is planned.

Pursued by police and by men who want to kill her, Lizzie is running out of time. Will Lizzie find the strength and courage to fight her way free and prove her innocence?

Author of PS: I'm Innocent
becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Pineapple Grenade (Serge Storms Series #15)  

Get your Hawaiian shirt out of the closet and mix a strong cocktail because Tim Dorsey is back with his gloriously unrepentant Florida serial killer, Serge Storms, in PINEAPPLE GRENADE: A Novel (William Morrow; On-sale: January 24, 2012).

In this latest laugh-riot thriller Serge has finagled his way into becoming a secret agent in Miami, spying for the president of a banana republic. Will he still have time for a cocktail before Homeland Security brings him down?

It’s always a wild ride when Dorsey’s at the wheel, and with PINEAPPLE GRENADE he delivers his most explosively hilarious road trip to date.

*Tim will tour through Florida and head out on a national tour to Dayton, Columbus, Denver, Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, Los Angeles, San Diego, Las Vegas, Austin and Houston. The grand finale of the tour is a Serge-Stock Caribbean Cruise out of Tampa on the Carnival Legend.

When Elves Attack (Serge Storms Series #14) 

Pineapple Grenade (Serge Storms Series #15) 

Electric Barracuda (Serge Storms Series #13) 

Gator A-Go-Go (Serge Storms Series #12) 

Atomic Lobster (Serge Storms Series #10) 

Nuclear Jellyfish (Serge Storms Series #11) 

Florida Roadkill (Serge Storms Series #1) 

The Big Bamboo (Serge Storms Series #8) 

Hurricane Punch (Serge Storms Series #9) 

Hammerhead Ranch Motel (Serge Storms Series #2) 

Orange Crush (Serge Storms Series #3) 

Triggerfish Twist (Serge Storms Series #4) 

Torpedo Juice (Serge Storms Series #7) 

Cadillac Beach (Serge Storms Series #6) 

The Stingray Shuffle (Serge Storms Series #5)                

becke_davis
0 Kudos

The Evil that Men Do  

The Evil that Men Do

Overview'

The new ‘Dorothy Martin’ mystery - Dorothy Martin and her husband, retired Chief Constable Alan Nesbitt, are on holiday in the idyllic English village of Broadway when they stumble across the body of a man who appears to have fallen down a disused quarry. When it is revealed that the man, a local farmer, was probably pushed over the edge, and that the police have failed to find any suspects or motives for the murder, Dorothy can’t help but get involved . . .

I'm so excited to see a new book by Jeanne M. Dams - I've been a fan of hers for years. I've read almost all of her books, but it looks like there are some cool new editions of some of them. I'm surprised she's not more popular!

Murder in Burnt Orange 

A Dark and Stormy Night 

Indigo Christmas 

Crimson Snow 

Malice in Miniature 

Trouble in Town Hall 

Winter of Discontent 

Body in the Transept 

Foolproof 

To Perish In Penzance 

Killing Cassidy 

The Victim in Victoria Station 

Sins Out of School 

Silence Is Golden 

To Perish In Penzance 

Green Grow the Victims 

Death in Lacquer Red 

Killing Cassidy 

The Red, White, and Blue Murders 

Death in Lacquer Red 

The Victim in Victoria Station 

Malice in Miniature 

Holy Terror in the Hebrides 

Trouble in Town Hall 

Sins Out of School 

Crimson Snow                           

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Gone West (Daisy Dalrymple Series #20)  

Gone West (Daisy Dalrymple Series #20)

Overview

A novelist has gone murdered and Daisy Dalrymple investigates— in a series that’s “pleasantly reminiscent of the old-fashioned English mysteries of a bygone era.” —The Denver Post on Gunpowder Plot

In September 1926, the Honourable Daisy Dalrymple Fletcher visits Sybil Sutherby, a school friend now living in Derbyshire as the confidential secretary to a novelist. Suspecting that something is seriously amiss, Sybil has asked Daisy to discretely investigate. Upon arrival, Daisy finds a household of relatives and would-be suitors living off the hospitality of Humphrey Birtwhistle, who had been supporting them through his thriceyearly, pseudonymous Westerns. When he took ill, though, Sybil took over writing them while he recovered, only to see the sales ances increase. Now, she fears that someone in the household is poisoning Birtwhistle to keep him ill and Sybil writing the better-paying versions. But before Daisy can even get decently underway, Humphrey Birtwhistle dies under suspicious circumstances and Daisy now faces a death to untangle, a house full of suspects and a Scotland Yard detective husband who is less than pleased at this turn of events.

Anthem for Doomed Youth (Daisy Dalrymple Series #19) 

Sheer Folly (Daisy Dalrymple Series #18) 

A Colourful Death (Cornish Mystery Series #2) 

Black Ship (Daisy Dalrymple Series #17) 

Manna from Hades (Cornish Mystery Series #1) 

The Winter Garden Mystery (Daisy Dalrymple Series #2) 

Styx and Stones (Daisy Dalrymple Series #7) 

Fall of a Philanderer (Daisy Dalrymple Series #14) 

The Babe and the Baron 

Lord Roworth's Reward 

Anthem for Doomed Youth (Daisy Dalrymple Series #19) 

Captain Ingram's Inheritance 

Miss Jacobson's Journey 

Manna from Hades (Cornish Mystery Series #1) 

Thea's Marquis 

Road to Gretna 

Requiem for a Mezzo (Daisy Dalrymple Series #3) 

Murder on the Flying Scotsman (Daisy Dalrymple Series #4) 

The Bloody Tower (Daisy Dalrymple Series #16) 

The Bloody Tower (Daisy Dalrymple Series #16) 

Damsel in Distress (Daisy Dalrymple Series #5) 

To Davy Jones Below (Daisy Dalrymple Series #9) 

Gunpowder Plot (Daisy Dalrymple Series #15) 

Fall of a Philanderer (Daisy Dalrymple Series #14) 

Mistletoe and Murder (Daisy Dalrymple Series #11) 

Die Laughing (Daisy Dalrymple Series #12) 

Mistletoe and Murder (Daisy Dalrymple Series #11) 

Die Laughing (Daisy Dalrymple Series #12) 

To Davy Jones Below (Daisy Dalrymple Series #9) 

Rattle His Bones (Daisy Dalrymple Series #8) 

A Mourning Wedding (Daisy Dalrymple Series #13) 

The Case of the Murdered Muckraker (Daisy Dalrymple Series #10) 

Dead in the Water (Daisy Dalrymple Series #6) 

Styx and Stones (Daisy Dalrymple Series #7)                                     

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Oooohm there's a LOT of good books coming out soon, it looks like, becke. I started salivating as I read through your lists of new releases for 2012.

Sorry to say I'd not ever heard of Tim Dorsey before, but his book Pineapple Grenade, looks promising, and I really like the titles of his other books as well--lots of whimsy there. Jeannie M. Adams' latest looks good, too, and I can hardley wait to read the newest Daisy Dalrymple mystery by Carolas Dunn, Gone West. All of her DD mysteries are good, and I also like the new mysteries set in Cornwall, featuring Eleanor"Aunt Nell" and her White West Highland Terrier, Teazle.  Hannah Reed's latest in her beekeeping series, Plan Bee(heh, heh, love the double meaning there!) looks good, too. Then there's Miranda James' newest in the Cat in the Stacks series, File M for Murder, also being released soon, and an author who's new to me, Lucy Arlington, wtih her new book, Buried in a Book. Not to say these are the only books I'm interested in, but I didn't want to just copy all the books you had pictures of, becke. Thanks for giving us the latest info on new mysteries here!

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Fricka - I'm sure I missed a lot of new releases.

Authors - if you are reading this post, you don't need to wait for an invitation. Go ahead and tell us about your new mystery-related releases here! Click "Add Product" to add your book(s).

becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]