Author
NinaBruhns
0 Kudos

Re: NINA BRUHNS, Day 15, Month of Romantic Suspense

Wow, I am so thrilled!!! I just this minute got the word that SHOOT TO THRILL is a finalist in the Australian Romance Readers Awards!!! :smileyvery-happy:  What an incredible honor! Thanks to all of you Aussie readers out there! :smileyvery-happy:

http://www.australianromancereaders.com.au/awards.html

Nina

Nina Bruhns
www.NinaBruhns.com
SHOOT TO THRILL, Berkley, Aug 09
IF LOOKS COULD CHILL, Berkley, Dec 09
A KISS TO KILL, Berkley, Apr 10
Author
NinaBruhns
0 Kudos

Yep, my kids and I had the trip of a lifetime over the holidays. It was totally awesome and amazing! I LOVED Australia, and the people there are so incredibly friendly and cool. :smileyvery-happy:  We did all sorts of adventurous things, including a 3-day dive trip on the Great Barrier Reef, zip-lining, white-water rafting, ballooning, and of course, I did a tour of the wonderful Hunter Valley wineries. I also had the opportunity to have dinner with author Paula Roe and another friend, which was a real highlight of the trip!

If you ever get a chance to travel to Australia, DO!!!

Nina

Nina Bruhns
www.NinaBruhns.com
dhaupt
0 Kudos

NinaBruhns wrote:

Hi Debbie!

LOL! Well, I hope you'll like them!  Actually, you can read any of the books as a stand-alone. I made sure any info you need is all included in each book. They're all connected, but not so you can't read one without the other. That wouldn't be fair to readers, I don't think... ;D  So not to worry! :smileyvery-happy:

Nina

Thanks Nina for the info. I'm definitely getting this last one It sounds terrific.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

NinaBruhns wrote:

Wow, I am so thrilled!!! I just this minute got the word that SHOOT TO THRILL is a finalist in the Australian Romance Readers Awards!!! :smileyvery-happy:  What an incredible honor! Thanks to all of you Aussie readers out there! :smileyvery-happy:

http://www.australianromancereaders.com.au/awards.html

Nina

I tried to find an image with a kangaroo, but no luck!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I'd love to go there, Nina. I'd also love to visit New Zealand -- Ngaio Marsh's mysteries set there really made it sound appealing to me, and after watching the movie Whale Rider, it's even more beautiful than I thought.

My mental images of Australia tend to be movie-based, unfortunately: Crocodile Dundee, Picnic at Hanging Rock, Walkabout, Rabbit Proof Fence. But then I think of vintage Harlequins by Australian authors like Margaret way and modern authors like Kate Hoffman and others, and I come up with a whole different view of the country.

Author
NinaBruhns
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Nina - I LOVE Egyptian-set stories -- romance, mystery, romantic suspense, it doesn't matter. I've been fascinated with Egypt since I read Agatha Christie's Egyptian-set stories. Please post an update here when your books come out!

I'm intrigued by the idea of a story set on a Russian sub -- how will you research the setting? How cool!

Me too!!! I loved Agatha Christie's Egypt stories, along with Elizabeth Peters. Weren't they great?

As for the Russian sub...yeah, that's going to be a challenge (never make things easy on myself)! I hear there's an old one parked next to the Queen Mary in Los Angeles that you can tour. I may have to do a road trip :smileyvery-happy:.  I also have a few contacts in the submarine service here. So I'm hoping I can get a pretty good picture from them. But as you know, my books are more about the people than the technology, so I think I'll be okay. I hope!!! :smileyvery-happy:

Nina

Nina Bruhns
www.NinaBruhns.com
becke_davis
0 Kudos

The only submarine I've been in was at the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago. I felt really claustrophic in it!

http://www.msichicago.org/whats-here/exhibits/u-505/

The U-505 Submarine

On June 4, 1944, a German submarine known as U-505 was prowling off the coast of West Africa on a hunt for American and Allied ships, when depth charges from the USS Chatelain blasted the dreaded U-boat out of hiding.

It was the end of a violent run for U-505, which had terrorized the Atlantic Ocean as part of a massive U-boat campaign that almost altered the outcome of World War II.

The Museum of Science and Industry invites you to step inside the real U-505—the only German submarine in the United States, and, now, a national memorial to the 55,000 American sailors who gave their lives on the high seas in WWI and WWII.

New User
Angelwolfstorm
0 Kudos

Congrats Nina!

The Egyptian books sound really good, I can't wait to read them! I am on the Dangerous Women list and am glad I got to visit with you.

New User
Sharla-Long
0 Kudos

Hi Nina,

I am on the Dangerous Women's group and wanted to pop in to say congratulations to you!  Your books are always enjoyable!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Hi Angel and Sharla - thanks for joining us! Can you tell us more about the Dangerous Women?

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Congratulations Nina. And thanks again for visiting with us today.

Becke that cat was soooo cuuuute, I want it.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Oh, Debbie -- is it time for you to head back to dial-up land? I wish you could hang out with us longer!

dhaupt
0 Kudos

I know Becke, but dang it I can't spend more than ten hours at work, who would cook dinner for my retired husband?:womansurprised:

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Oh well, go if you must -- but we'll miss you! 

Nina - I forgot to ask what part of the country you're in. We're getting socked with snow in Cincinnati.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Nina - On Saturday I went to a big Barnes & Noble multi-author book signing, and mentioned that I could use some help with questions for all the visiting authors this month. These were some of the questions they suggested I ask:

1) What of the five senses do you tap into most when you're writing?

2) What favorite book of yours do you wish you had written?

3) What do you think about the show Castle? (Okay, you can tell the way the discussion here is going -- there's a split between those who are claiming Gerard Butler for themselves and those who want Nathan Fillion. Which of those get your vote?

4) Do you watch  mystery TV shows and/or movies? If so, which do you like best?

5) If you were casting your books, who would you choose?

6) Are you a plotter or pantser? Do you know how your books are going to end or do you figure out as you write?

Author
NinaBruhns
0 Kudos

Becke, I'm in South Carolina, and we actually got half a foot of snow last weekend! It was awesome! The first snow we've had in about 8 or 9 years.  So cool. But I'm really glad I don't live where it gets like this every year! I like my 70 degree winters <G>...

Nina

Nina Bruhns
www.NinaBruhns.com
Author
NinaBruhns
0 Kudos

Wow, a ton of questions!!! Let's see...

1)  I try to use all 5 senses when I write. I'm naturally visual, but I do pay a lot of attention to the other senses because I know not all readers are visual. Sometimes I'll pick out which sense each character prefers, then try to tailor their POV to that sense. That can be fun, and challenging!  Some stories lend themselves more than others to really going all out with the sensual descriptions (not in the sexual meaning here). Because I use a lot of unusual settings (deserts, bayous, etc), I do pay a lot of attention to that kind of detail.

2)  Oh, gosh, there are so many favorites, I couldn't pick out any one title. But all in all, I'm pretty happy with the ones I have written <G>...

3) LOL!!! Yes, I absolutely watch Castle! Great show, one of my faves :smileyvery-happy:. Hmm... Of the two I'd probably go with Nathan F. I thought he was really sexy in Firefly. I also think Simon Baker from the Mentalist is very cute <G>.

4)  Yeah, I really love watching TV mystery and crime shows, as well as movies. I tivo everything and watch when I can. My very favorites tend to be on BBC America -- I'll watch anything on Mystery and Masterpiece, but I also really like Burn Notice, In Plain Sight, Dexter, and the Closer. Castle and the Mentalist, Medium, CSI, Law & Order are good, too.The new ones Human Target and White Collar are growing on me...

5)  Oh, yikes. You know, I've thought about this a bit, and honestly, there are just no actors out there who are anything like what I imagine most of my characters to be like. Other than Alex in my current series. He is definitely Alexander Skarsgard (and I named him *before* I realized who the actor was). If you check my website, and go to the books page, if you mouse over the book covers, some of my heroes will show up underneath. I never did find a good one for Shoot To Thrill, but the others have my vision of the hero as I wrote him. Of course...the covers of my current series are AWESOME, and I'd go with that guy any day <G>. It's the same guy on all 3 covers, but they don't show most of his face, so it works. Wow, such a hunk!

6) I'm kind of a hybrid between a pantser and a plotter. I generally have an idea of what the book is about, and the setting and characters, and I really try to figure out what the turning points are before I get too far into the story. But as for the ending, the villain, etc etc, I generally don't know that until I'm actually writing the last chapter :smileyhappy:. That way I can't give away the ending as I write the rest of the book because I don't know what it is myself! I find doing it that way keeps the story fresh, and keeps even me guessing. Makes it fun to write. I don't think I could do a detailed synopsis because things constantly change as I write and get to know the characters better. Sometimes I'll think, OMG, that character would never do that! So then I have to change the story a bit. My stories are very organic, the action growing out of the characters and their interaction. That doesn't lend itself very well to writing a detailed synopsis. Unfortunately! Because it sure would be nice to know where I'm going before I start :smileyvery-happy:.

Nina

Nina Bruhns
www.NinaBruhns.com
becke_davis
0 Kudos

I like 70 degree winters, too. This is wayyyyyy too much snow for me!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

That was a lot of questions - I thought you'd only pick one or two to answer - thanks so much for responding to them all!

It's funny you mentioned Simon Baker from The Mentalist. I don't normally like blond guys but he has the most contagious smile, doesn't he? And that guy from White Collar is smokin', too.

New User
fcammer2
0 Kudos

Congrats on your nomination Nina!  I'm a dangerous woman and I've got to get your trilogy.  I've heard so many good things about it. :smileyhappy: