Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis

New ABC TV Show: Castle

I missed this but my husband said this new show, about a mystery author, was pretty good.   He described it as a more dramatic version of Murder She Wrote.  It also featured a couple of real-life mystery authors as guest stars.

http://abc.go.com/primetime/castle/index?pn=index&pn=index=rm&cid=rm+google+castle_title+castle

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/rant.aspx?id=20080917 

http://www.metacritic.com/tv/shows/castle?part=rss 

Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Re: New ABC TV Show: Castle

I never really had any intention of watching this show just cause I thought the previews didn't look all that great.  My roomate was recording them and a week ago when I was sick and had nothing else to do I went ahead and watched them all.  Now I'm hooked and absolutely refuse not to watch it.  It does remind me a little of Murder She Wrote but I think it has bits of Hart to Hart, Moonlighting, and a few other shows.
"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
TiggerBear

[ Edited ]

It's amusing.

Episodes are up for watch day after release for free on ABC.com or through fancast.com.

The playback is a bit smoother going though fancast to abc, for some reason, be advised.

Currently all are up to watch.

Message Edited by TiggerBear on 05-01-2009 04:18 AM
becke_davis
0 Kudos

I've been watching it, too, and I hardly ever watch TV.  I don't know if I'm hooked, but I do like it.
Frequent Contributor
Luanne
0 Kudos

Hi, I think I am hooked.  I love the concept of how Castle, the best-selling author's character, tries to solve the crime by describing how and why the murder would have occured in a novel so that should be the 'real-life' (TV-show) solution.  Also the characters are very likeable & appear to get along with each other, which is nice.  And....  last but not least, Castle is not too hard to look at........

"... for myself I am an optimist -- it does not seem to be much use being anything else." Winston Churchill
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Luanne wrote:

Hi, I think I am hooked.  I love the concept of how Castle, the best-selling author's character, tries to solve the crime by describing how and why the murder would have occured in a novel so that should be the 'real-life' (TV-show) solution.  Also the characters are very likeable & appear to get along with each other, which is nice.  And....  last but not least, Castle is not too hard to look at........

Oh yeah, I'd watch pretty much anything with Nathan Fillion in it.  I agree, there is good chemistry there, and the police detective is smart and gorgeous.  The only part that keeps me from being completely hooked is that it strikes me as so unlikely her supervisors would allow a civilian -- and particularly someone who could loosely be considered press -- behind the scenes in investigations.

Inspired Correspondent
tabcat
0 Kudos

TiggerBear,

Thanks for the info re: shows available on the web site.  I watched the pilot show and loved it. Then it was moved to a week night, too late for me to watch and still roll out of bed in time to get to work the next day! I've seen it a couple of times since though if I was able to be off the next day.

Teresa

Distinguished Correspondent
biljounc63

tabcat wrote:

TiggerBear,

Thanks for the info re: shows available on the web site.  I watched the pilot show and loved it. Then it was moved to a week night, too late for me to watch and still roll out of bed in time to get to work the next day! I've seen it a couple of times since though if I was able to be off the next day.

Teresa

Tabcat I have one word for you "Tivo"

Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body.
~ Joseph Addison ~

"Reading lets you visit the world of another"
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

biljounc63 wrote:

tabcat wrote:

TiggerBear,

Teresa

And the point of Tivo when the web has episodes and whole seasons up for free is?

Inspired Correspondent
tabcat
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:

biljounc63 wrote:

And the point of Tivo when the web has episodes and whole seasons up for free is?

I've thought about Tivo, but watch so little television that it didn't seem worth the price (more money for books!).  On the flip side, I might find more shows that I like if had Tivo.  Anyone watching the series based on And Then There Were None ?   Harper's Island I think????  I'll have to see if it's on the web too.  It's being moved to Saturday's so I'd like to catch up and start watching that. 

teresa

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

tabcat wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

biljounc63 wrote:

I've thought about Tivo, but watch so little television that it didn't seem worth the price (more money for books!).  On the flip side, I might find more shows that I like if had Tivo.  Anyone watching the series based on And Then There Were None ?   Harper's Island I think????  I'll have to see if it's on the web too.  It's being moved to Saturday's so I'd like to catch up and start watching that. 

teresa

I watched the first episode, not watching the rest though. Didn't like it. Too much of a slasher flic vibe.

Scribe
debbook
0 Kudos

It does sound like a  good show. I haven't watched it yet b/c networks are so quick to pull a show just as you are getting into it. I'll wait and see if it's picked up for next season, then watch the reruns or watch online
A room without books is like a body without a soul.~ Cicero...
"bookmagic418.blogspot.com
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

I can't say I love Harper's Island, but I like it enough that I'm still watching it.  Getting ready to watch tonight's episode actually.  I don't have Tivo, but I have DVR through my calbe company.

Correspondent
momgee
0 Kudos

We recorded  the first episode just to see what it was about and were hooked and now we don't miss an episode. It's almost as good as that show Leverage.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
becke_davis
0 Kudos

The mysteries are better written than most TV shows.  Just saw The Mentalist -- I'd been avoiding it, because it sounded like a rip-off of Psych.  I was pleasantly surprised; also a well-written show.
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

I love The Menalist but since the move to Monday I can't watch it anymore.  There are two other shows on at the same time that I already watched.

TiggerBear

Ryan_G wrote:
I love The Menalist but since the move to Monday I can't watch it anymore.  There are two other shows on at the same time that I already watched.

Fancast, go to fancast. Watch those show that double up on you. The yikes both are on a 9, problems solved.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Made a point of watching Castle tonight -- it was a good one!
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

I haven't had a chance to watch it yet so I am excited for it.  Especially since it was the season finale

pen21
0 Kudos

I was skeptical of Castle. But I have really enjoyed it. I hope it is picked up for next year.

If I miss a show I have used Hulu or go to the abc.com or nbc.com. Hulu seemed smoother, I hate when they get choppy.

pen21