becke_davis
0 Kudos

One Day Feature with Author JONATHAN HOLT!

[ Edited ]

Tuesday's one-day feature is with

Jonathan Holt - Author

After graduating from Oxford with a First in English Literature Jonathon Holt had many jobs, ranging from a postman to a brochure-writer, before going into the advertising industry and finding success as a writer of commercials. He always dreamed of writing a book that everyone would read. THE ABOMINATION is the result.

Jonathan Holt Book and Novel

Author photo © Hugh Dickens

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: One Day Feature with Author JONATHAN HOLT!

The Abomination  

Book Description

The first book in an outstanding new thriller trilogy set in modern-day Venice, featuring a tough, sexy female investigator and a dark conspiracy of murder, international intrigue, the CIA and the Catholic Church

It is midnight on the feast day of La Befana, and Venice is celebrating. Masked figures crowd the vaporettos, fireworks pop over the city, and every trattoria hums with grappa-soaked gossip. But on the steps of Santa Maria, there is a deathly hush. A body has washed up from the Grand Canal: a woman, wearing the robes of a Catholic priest—a desecration known as the Abomination.

This is Captain Katerina Tapo’s first murder case. The trail leads her from the labyrinthine backstreets of Venice to an abandoned asylum on the uninhabited island of Poveglia, to Carnivia.com, an encrypted gossip website holding the city’s secrets, to an ancient Catholic monastery, and finally to an American military base. Along the way, she makes uneasy allies of Lieutenant Holly Boland, a young U.S. army intelligence officer with unique ties to the country in which she has been stationed, and Daniele Barbo, a reclusive and brilliant Venetian aristocrat-turned-computer-hacker who operates, and fiercely protects, Carnivia.com. Then, suddenly, the trail goes cold. Evidence goes missing, and Kat is ordered to close the case.

What follows is the unravelling of a dark and powerful conspiracy-with sinister roots in post Cold War Italy that will test loyalties Kat did not know she had. She understands that old crimes cannot be forgotten left unpunished, corrupt forces will continue to repeat their sins.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

http://www.bookreporter.com/reviews/the-abomination-book-one-of-the-carnivia-trilogy

Set in two Venices, the modern physical world and its virtual counterpart, THE ABOMINATION by Jonathan Holt is a propulsive tale of murder, corruption, and international intrigue—the first book in an outstanding new trilogy in which Carabiniere Captain Kat Tapo must unravel a dark conspiracy linking the CIA and the Catholic Church.

By the stunning white dome of one of Venice’s grandest landmarks a body with two slugs in the back of the head has been pulled from the icy waters. The victim is a woman, dressed in the sacred robes of a Catholic priest—a desecration that becomes known as the Abomination.

Working her first murder case, Captain Kat Tapo embarks on a trail that proves as elusive and complicated as the city’s labyrinthine backstreets. What Kat discovers will test her loyalties and remind her of a simple truth: Unless old crimes are punished, corrupt forces will continue to repeat their mortal sins.

THE ABOMINATION is book one of Jonathan Holt’s Carnivia Trilogy.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Please welcome JONATHAN HOLT!

NOTE: Jonathan will check in on Tuesday and possibly on Wednesday, but he'll have limited availability to respond to comments "live" due to the time change and his day job. He'll respond to your questions and comments when he can, so don't hold back!

New User
Jon_Holt
0 Kudos

Indeed - I'm here now, and looking forward to answering any questions.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Jonathan HI!! and Welcome

imgres.jpeg

There is nothing better for me than a dark mystery. I hate watching them on either TV or the big screen but my imagination has no problems with the circumstances inside the pages of a book and yours looks amazing.

A debut author has a special set of problems especially in today's publishing climate. Were you an "overnight" success or was your journey a bit harder than that?

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Also this is a trilogy

do you already know the very end?

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Jon_Holt wrote:

Indeed - I'm here now, and looking forward to answering any questions.

Hurray! I'm so glad you were able to sign in! I see Debbie already has a question for you, but I'd like to add one about your writing process. Do you have a detailed plot when you start writing, or do you prefer to write organically?

New User
Jon_Holt
0 Kudos

Well, success was very slow coming - but when it did come knocking, it was fast and sudden. The manuscript was sent to a small UK publisher, Head of Zeus,  on a Thursday; on the following Monday, they phoned up with an offer. They met me on the Wednesday, and we shook hands on a deal. The Frankfurt book fair was the following week, and they'd sold the world rights to around ten countries (including HarperCollins in the US) by the end of the first day. That was a pretty amazing time.

But having said that, I won't know for sure it's a success until real readers, not publishers, start responding to it. It's nice to have had some really positive reviews, and it got to number one on the bestseller list in Italy (for e-downloads - number four in physical hardbacks) which was great, but I'm watching every country nervously and thinking 'will it work'?

New User
Jon_Holt
0 Kudos

Yes - I wanted it to be a proper trilogy, not just a series of three books. So each book reveals new aspects of one big conspiracy. And the climax to Book Three is the biggest, most high-stakes part of the whole sequence.
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Jon_Holt wrote:

Well, success was very slow coming - but when it did come knocking, it was fast and sudden. The manuscript was sent to a small UK publisher, Head of Zeus,  on a Thursday; on the following Monday, they phoned up with an offer. They met me on the Wednesday, and we shook hands on a deal. The Frankfurt book fair was the following week, and they'd sold the world rights to around ten countries (including HarperCollins in the US) by the end of the first day. That was a pretty amazing time.

But having said that, I won't know for sure it's a success until real readers, not publishers, start responding to it. It's nice to have had some really positive reviews, and it got to number one on the bestseller list in Italy (for e-downloads - number four in physical hardbacks) which was great, but I'm watching every country nervously and thinking 'will it work'?

Congratulations!! This sounds like a real success story! I'm fascinated by world rights. Some of my author friends have amazing sales in countries like Japan. I wonder what makes some countries snap a book up? For instance, I wonder why Italy in particular would have so many ebook sales of your book? Because of the religious aspects, possibly? (But then why wouldn't the hardcover sales be comparable? Very confusing.)

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Jon_Holt wrote:
Yes - I wanted it to be a proper trilogy, not just a series of three books. So each book reveals new aspects of one big conspiracy. And the climax to Book Three is the biggest, most high-stakes part of the whole sequence.

Now that you've got us hooked, do you have release dates for Books Two and Three?

Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

Hi, Jon, welcome to the forum. Your book sounds interesting and I will have to look into it. have fun here and have a great day.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
New User
Jon_Holt
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Hurray! I'm so glad you were able to sign in! I see Debbie already has a question for you, but I'd like to add one about your writing process. Do you have a detailed plot when you start writing, or do you prefer to write organically?

Apologies, I'm only just getting the hang of this quoting lark..... In this case, a detailed plot was essential, as there are three separate strands of narrative that are interwoven and build to one climax. In fact, I spent almost as long on the plotting as I spent on the writing.

New User
Jon_Holt
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Congratulations!! This sounds like a real success story! I'm fascinated by world rights. Some of my author friends have amazing sales in countries like Japan. I wonder what makes some countries snap a book up? For instance, I wonder why Italy in particular would have so many ebook sales of your book? Because of the religious aspects, possibly? (But then why wouldn't the hardcover sales be comparable? Very confusing.)

I think it went down well in Italy because it's set there - though I was really pleased, because it's not always the case that Italians thnk outsiders 'get' their culture. But the trilogy is actually based on true plots and scandals that have beset Italy since the 50s, so there's an element of 'alternative history' they seem to respond to.

New User
Jon_Holt
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Now that you've got us hooked, do you have release dates for Books Two and Three?

If all goes to plan, Book Two (THE ABDUCTION) will come out twelve months from now, and Book Three (THE ATROCITY) twelve months after that. I'm on a tight schedule....

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Jon_Holt wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

If all goes to plan, Book Two (THE ABDUCTION) will come out twelve months from now, and Book Three (THE ATROCITY) twelve months after that. I'm on a tight schedule....

I feel guilty that we're keeping you from writing. Do you have book jacket blurbs for either of these books yet?

New User
Jon_Holt
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

New User
Jon_Holt
0 Kudos

No blurbs - but I do have the plots worked out! They're like THE ABOMINATION in that they're fast-paced conspiracy thrillers. One of the lead characters is a Second Lieutenant at one of the many US Army bases near Venice, built when it was on the front line of the Cold War. She starts to discover some awakward truths about her country's activities in post-war Italy - secrets that others would rather stay hidden...

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Jon_Holt wrote:

No blurbs - but I do have the plots worked out! They're like THE ABOMINATION in that they're fast-paced conspiracy thrillers. One of the lead characters is a Second Lieutenant at one of the many US Army bases near Venice, built when it was on the front line of the Cold War. She starts to discover some awakward truths about her country's activities in post-war Italy - secrets that others would rather stay hidden...

Oooh - sounds like my kind of book! I've always loved thrillers, especially conspiracy thrillers!