Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis
0 Kudos
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: One Day Feature with Author PEG HERRING!

Peg Herring is a writer who once taught high school English. After graduating from the University of Michigan, she worked in education, teaching English, history, and communications. In 2002 she left teaching to pursue full-time writing.

Peg Herring’s love of history and years of teaching Shakespeare led to Macbeth’s Niece, her first published novel (Five Star). These days Peg speaks to groups on the writing process, reading genres, and public speaking. When not writing, directing musical groups or gardening, she and her husband enjoy travel, both abroad and in the Unites States.

Historical novels, especially mysteries, attract Peg, both as a reader and a writer. The research is fun, and she can lose herself for hours in a library studying William the Conqueror or Ivar the Boneless.

Writing historical mysteries is a challenge, since an author must capture the feel of the era for her readers while painting realistic characters in an exciting plot. In historicals one can ignore police procedures and DNA samples, concentrating instead on the intelligence of the protagonist, the ingenuity of the antagonist, and the wonderful details of what life was like in a time other than our own.

Peg’s contemporary mysteries center on female characters caught in threatening situations. Being strong women, they stand up for themselves and, in the process, find that they are capable of much more than they ever imagined.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

The Loser Mysteries present a unique protagonist: Loser, who sleeps on the streets of Richmond, Virginia, washes up in gas station bathrooms, eats when an opportunity comes along, and spends her waking hours in front of the local drug store, watching the world pass by while speaking less than thirty words per day.

Killing Silence  

Killing Memories  

KILLING SILENCE, BOOK 1

When a child is murdered and Loser finds herself in the company of the prime suspect, can she pull herself out of her own pain to help catch a killer? Her investigation is hampered by her inability to hold a normal conversation and her inner demons.

Why should anyone believe her anyway? She is Loser. A nobody. A freak who can barely speak.

Every street person has a story, and Loser is no different. Her past haunts her present.

Besides, Loser has good reason to avoid the police...and it goes way beyond loitering.

KILLING MEMORIES, BOOK 2:

Loser returns to the hills where she was raised in search of peace, but even in lovely West Virginia, trouble manages to find her. One of her fellow foster children returns to the little town of Beulah, and the secrets she carries with her will lead Loser into a tangle of deception.

Nadine hasn’t got much to say about why she’s back in Beulah, and her son Eddie might be just a little too good to be true. Still, Loser’s willing to help them - at least until Nadine pulls a disappearing act.

Each time Loser learns the answer to a question, another one arises. Why did Nadine run from a comfortable life and a successful husband? Is Eddie a good kid or an opportunistic manipulator? What happened in the town of Romulus that was worth killing for? And most important: Can Loser protect the innocent and at the same time preserve her own life, the life she’s only recently begun to want?

becke_davis
0 Kudos

SIMON AND ELIZABETH MYSTERY SERIES

Enter the world of the Tudors, and meet Simon Maldon, an unassuming young man who becomes part of Elizabeth Tudor’s life. When murder strikes, Simon and Elizabeth join forces to find the killer. With the political situation of the time, it’s always doubly dangerous for Simon: first to hunt a killer, but also to be called friend to the most fascinating Tudor of them all.

Her Highness' First Murder  

Poison, Your Grace  

The Lady Flirts with Death  

In this third book of the Simon & Elizabeth Mysteries, Elizabeth Tudor is accused of treason and imprisoned in the Tower of London. Most, including Elizabeth herself and her old friend Simon Maldon, believe she will never leave the place alive.

Loyal to a fault, Simon manages to get in to see his "Highness," once a princess but now demoted to simply Lady Elizabeth. After one of his visits, Simon meets another old friend, Peto the Pope. Accused of murder, Peto swears he is innocent. Simon can’t resist investigating to learn what really happened.

At the same time, Simon’s wife Hannah takes in a frightened pregnant girl who refuses to identify herself. Hannah is captivated when her guest has a baby girl. Childless herself, Hannah is determined to help this mother and child get a start in life.

Distracted by his own concerns, how to help Elizabeth escape and how to prove Peto’s innocence, Simon pays little attention to what’s happening at home. Neither he nor Hannah realizes they should be listening to each other. When they finally do, it’s too late. In trying to help others, they have put themselves in deadly danger.

Available Early Summer, 2013

" This fast-paced journey through 16th Century England reintroduces characters well-developed in earlier novels, where Lady Elizabeth’s credible detective reasoning was first developed. Her ability thus seems believable even while in prison. Her loyal friend, Simon Maldon, with an apothecary’s scientific curiosity, considers attempts to help her escape, and explores helping a friend framed for murder. The two plots intertwine with vivid imagery and meticulous details to bring the time period to life.

This historical amateur sleuth mystery includes enough suspects to keep the reader intrigued, but it’s the characters that especially hold you in their grip. The reader will fall in love with Hannah for her simple ways and faith in the best in people. Meanwhile, one isn’t sure whether to sympathize or despise the mysterious pregnant woman who becomes another twist in the plot. Each conversation reveals layers of meaning, some the readers can surmise, while the plot divulges others as it rapidly moves along.

The ending is not only plausible but satisfying."

Reviewed by Judith Mehl
Author of Formula for Murder and Game, Set, Murder
Publishers Weekly Review 3/1/13

becke_davis
0 Kudos

The Dead Detective Agency  

Tori Van Camp wakes one morning on a luxurious ocean liner where she is offered whatever a person might desire: food, clothes, recreation, and the companionship of congenial people. But Tori has no memory of booking a cruise. What she has is a vivid recollection of being shot point blank in the chest.

With the help of stunningly handsome Mike and unnervingly serene Nancy, the young secretary soon learns the purpose of her voyage. Still, she is haunted by the image of the gun, the crack of the shot, and the malevolent face of the shooter. Who wanted her dead, and why?

Determined to find out, Tori enlists the help of an eccentric detective named Seamus. Together they embark on an investigation like nothing she has ever experienced. Death is all around, the future is uncertain, and if they do not act quickly, two people she cares about are prime candidates for murder.

"Ms. Herring’s story-telling ability to keep all the plates spinning effortlessly is genuinely impressive. Masterfully, she takes your conscious mind out of your own world and guides you into the atmospheric surrealism of The Dead Detective Agency, smoothly and expertly, with page-turning ease. The story and writing proceed at a furious, breathtaking pace, and when we finally come to the end of our voyage, it’s with deep regret, as if saying bon voyage to a dear friend we have known and loved for years."

Sam Millar, New York Journal of Books

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Dead for the Money  

When Dead Detective Seamus is asked to investigate the death of wealthy businessman William Dunbar, he agrees, but there is an additional request. Will he take a detective-in-training along? Reluctantly, Seamus agrees and meets Mildred, who seems charming if a little headstrong.

Suspects include Dunbar's family and staff, notably his beloved grandson Bud, who was with him when he fell from a bluff overlooking Lake Michigan. There's chemistry between Bud and a member of the household staff, Scarlet. Seamus wonders why they work so hard to keep it hidden. As they try to learn what happened, Mildred decides she must help Dunbar's adopted granddaughter Brodie, a problem child devastated by "Gramps" death. Brodie feels that no one on earth cares about her now, and Mildred becomes determined to convince her otherwise.

Disgusted by the fact that Mildred ignores the rules of non-interference with the Living, Seamus works on without her. Events soon spin out of control. A kidnapping leads to a desperate chase toward the Straits of Mackinac, where several characters find themselves in peril. Will Mildred become a lost soul? Will Brodie find the will to survive? Can Seamus help his host defeat the killer, or is he more hindrance than help? Nothing is sure except the reason behind it all. Just like William Dunbar, others he cares for might end up Dead for the Money.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Please welcome PEG HERRING!

Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

Hi, Peggy, welcome to the forum. I haven't read your books but plan to buy a few. They sound good.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
becke_davis
0 Kudos

maxcat wrote:

Hi, Peggy, welcome to the forum. I haven't read your books but plan to buy a few. They sound good.

Check out the prices of her Nook books - VERY reasonably priced!

Author
PegHerring
0 Kudos

Thanks! I'm deep in Book #3 of the Loser Mysteries. Tough going, but fun.
Author
PegHerring
0 Kudos

I was quoting that poem today on my walk! (In my head, of course, don't want to scare the critters away). My woods are indeed lovely!
becke_davis
0 Kudos

PegHerring wrote:

Can you give us any hints about it, Peggy? Do you have a release date?

becke_davis
0 Kudos

PegHerring wrote:

How do you decide which series you're going to write about next? Reader demand?

Author
PegHerring
0 Kudos

Just be careful. There's Peggy and Peg Herring, both authors. I'm Peg.
Author
PegHerring
0 Kudos

More like publisher demand, lol! One publisher has a rather leisurely pace, a book every 11/2 to 2 years. The other wants them as soon as I can write them! I have to do 1 at a time, though, no mixing plots or I really would explode!
becke_davis
0 Kudos

PegHerring wrote:
Just be careful. There's Peggy and Peg Herring, both authors. I'm Peg.

Yikes - thanks for pointing that out, Peg. I have other friends named Peg/Peggy and they use both names interchangeably. Let me know if I posted any book links, etc. that aren't you!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

PegHerring wrote:
More like publisher demand, lol! One publisher has a rather leisurely pace, a book every 11/2 to 2 years. The other wants them as soon as I can write them! I have to do 1 at a time, though, no mixing plots or I really would explode!

It does seem that publishers are aiming to release series books on a pretty tight schedule these days. I'm always excited when my friends sell a series, but I know it means they won't have much free time for the next year or two. Not a bad trade-off, though!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Thanks for visiting with us, Peg! come back again soon!